Dark Souls Thread

I would also like to add something critical, don't underestimate the damage you can do when you are standing on a ledge ABOVE an enemy, you can use the Plunging attack to take a good chunk out of their life, and that includes bosses. That's how I beat the Asylum Demon and the Taurus Demon.

Also you can use your environment, for example, that boar in the Undead Parish can be killed if you lure him into charging you near those fires out there, he will crash into the fire and the fire will damage him.

In other words, there's more ways to kill things than just mindlessly hacking at them or block/parry/riposte and swing.

fuck sen's fortress been stuck here for 3h rs now ;<

Don't feel bad, a lot of the people streaming the Japanese version were also stuck there for a while. It's all good, just keep giving it a go.

Where'd you run off to, fail?

Will be home in an hour and a half, then gonna fire up Dark Souls, shoot me your PSN ID and I will add you, I got some stuff to do before I fire up Dark Souls, so I might be a little longer.

in the graveyard... don't forget to nab the sweet sword. starts with a z, can't recall the name. requires 24 str to wield it though.

I've been playing through the graveyard for the last hour or so. Which sword you talking about? Where is it in relation to, say, the winged spear? I've cleaned this area out, haven't come across a sword yet...

He's referring to the Zweihander, once you enter that graveyard, stick to the right, and there will be a giant skeleton on top of that body, you can grab it just as he finishes assembling himself then run off to the safety of the first bonfire.

That's what I did, the Zweihander has an attack power of 130 and requires 24 strength to wield.

I have it.

I haven't played much since I haven't had much time but I fucked around in that graveyard for nearly an hour as a level 5 before I found the Undead Parish... *sigh* At least I have the Winged Spear for later.

I've restarted this game at least 5 times now. Going to be really tough to get the build I want together, really wanted to roll with a super armored caster.

Just some tips for people that might be thinking of weapons down the road from specific boss souls.

Ornstein's Spear: 24 str 24 dex. Scales of a FAITH stat as well, odd. You can break down your lightning spear into a +10 spear and then use Ornstein's soul and 5000 souls to make the weapon. I'm not really impressed with it and you kinda screw yourself by going 24 str and 24 dex.

Don't bother buying any armor, TONS of cool armor and you get access to new purchasable armor after killing a few bosses.

Magic is pretty beast, makes a LOT of sections of this game easier (I've finished up through Anor Londo with a pure melee character).

How disappointing, they neglected daggers once again. Apparently the whole daggers having a higher crit multiplier is a lie. It only has a flat crit bonus instead of a multiplier that works off your dex.

Example:
Bandit Knife - 56 normal damage + 147 crit bonus
Drakesword - 200 normal damage + 100 crit bonus

So basically every weapon in the game outclasses daggers at what they're supposed to do best while having better damage, range, and utility. Hell, the wooden club the Deprived starts with will crit for more than the dagger cause it has an 'A' rated str modifier while a dagger only has a 'B' rated dex modifier.

I guess the PvP in this game will once again be dominated by the same one or two weapons.

anybody get their faith high enough to really unleash astorea's sword? i use it most of the time even though my faith is too low for the light elemental damage, but it's a sweet sword

Also, anyone else having issues with Jumping and kicking? Message on the ground says kick is Left stick + RB (xbox) and Jump is Left stick + RT.. but never seems to work...

You have to push the stick in the direction you want at the same time you push the button / trigger. If the stick is already in that direction and you just push the button / trigger you will just do the base attack.

So, if you are moving / running, quickly let the stick go back to center, then push the stick forward and hit the button / trigger at the same time. Once you get the timing down then its a bit easier to get off.

i'm going to be on for the better part of the day tomorrow, feel free to exchange psn's via pm

btw wikispaces seems more complete than the wikidot for dark souls at the moment

Ornstein's Spear: 24 str 24 dex. Scales of a FAITH stat as well, odd. You can break down your lightning spear into a +10 spear and then use Ornstein's soul and 5000 souls to make the weapon. I'm not really impressed with it and you kinda screw yourself by going 24 str and 24 dex.
Why does that screw you? I'd been leveling my STR and DEX pretty much equally. Warrior class.

Yeah wow, this game has just been awesome. I went and restarted a Bandit yesterday and he is not 12 using the Winged Spear shield combo with bow secondary (for those pesky high firebomb throwers). Anyways, while the damage of the spear isnt all the great it is still fun to use, Battle Axe or Morning Star are better for just smashing through enemies.

Oh and for the guys that want to take on the Graveyard, use either the battle axe or morning star against the skeletons (note you get not souls for them). While at lvl 16 my warrior was doing a max of 16 damage however at level 10 my Bandit was doing max of 36 (with the battle axe) against the same guys with lower str/dex ratings. So skeletons are more vulnerable to slashing/blunt damage than piercing.

Oh and for the guys that want to take on the Graveyard, use either the battle axe or morning star against the skeletons (note you get not souls for them). While at lvl 16 my warrior was doing a max of 16 damage however at level 10 my Bandit was doing max of 36 (with the battle axe) against the same guys with lower str/dex ratings. So skeletons are more vulnerable to slashing/blunt damage than piercing.

If you use the strong attack/battle axe, it will knock them down and you can kill them pretty easily but I doubt it works on the giant ones.

Is there a "best way" back to Firelink after getting to Blacksmith Andrei?

Take the bridge back towards the cathedral, run into the church entrance directly across from the bridge and keep going straight. There's an elevator that takes you directly to Firelink.

Damn, this game is a bastard! I made it through the undead burg without too much trouble, but after that it's just fucking ridiculous. Those goddamn ghosts are insane, I can't even run pasts their stupid asses, because they can hit you from across the screen! It's getting me mad just thinking about it. I don't remember being this pissed off at Demon's Souls. At least I felt like if I died on that one, it was because I screwed up. This time, it's like they're just fucking with me.

Still, it's a good game, even if I do have a conniption before I finish it. I don't like it as much as the first one though. The story is really lacking, and there is almost no direction on what you should be doing. It's a lot harder to get engaged when you don't really know why you're doing what you're doing. Yeah, so I rang a bell...now what, and why should I care?

Damn, this game is a bastard! I made it through the undead burg without too much trouble, but after that it's just fucking ridiculous. Those goddamn ghosts are insane, I can't even run pasts their stupid asses, because they can hit you from across the screen! It's getting me mad just thinking about it. I don't remember being this pissed off at Demon's Souls. At least I felt like if I died on that one, it was because I screwed up. This time, it's like they're just fucking with me.

Did you ring both bells already or just the gargoyle one? Cause I did just the one and went to the ghost area you're talking about and got slaughtered. Finally figured out I'm supposed to take out the Capra Demon and go into the Depths towards Blighttown.

If you use the strong attack/battle axe, it will knock them down and you can kill them pretty easily but I doubt it works on the giant ones.

Yup figured that out with the hammer/battle axe, not the same with the spear. If you can peel them off one at a time you can hammer them down and just keep slamming them. Big guy is a little harder, and takes a more strategic approach. If you can take him up the the edge where the Crow is, he has a tendency to like to do back jumps and you can get him to jump off the edge..

I got invaded last night when I had two phantoms summoned and we were on our way to a boss. We saw him summoning at the far end of the sewer and one of the guys I summoned ran over to him right as he spawn and back stabbed him. He died instantly it was awesome lol.

Why does that screw you? I'd been leveling my STR and DEX pretty much equally. Warrior class.

Basically the damage done by the spear is pretty junk compared to just focusing on str or dex. Tons of better weapons to use than the spear.

Last edited:
those ghosts are pretty easy with arrows, im up to estus flask+2 now ;D

lv22 thf in full brigand, i look sweet

I'm about to play this game all weekend when I get off work! Maybe even start a second character and do mostly magic.

i cant play this game for more than a few hours at a time, otherwise it can become monotonous dying repeatedly to the same boss(es), capra and maneater part 2 are raping me atm

i cant play this game for more than a few hours at a time, otherwise it can become monotonous dying repeatedly to the same boss(es), capra and maneater part 2 are raping me atm

I do the same thing, when I die a couple of times, I realize it's probably time to take a break and do just that, helps you refill your mental stamina and when you return to the game you'll be in a better mental state to overcome the challenge.

This game REALLY does induce a certain amount of mental fatigue if you play it too long.

I do the same thing, when I die a couple of times, I realize it's probably time to take a break and do just that, helps you refill your mental stamina and when you return to the game you'll be in a better mental state to overcome the challenge.

This game REALLY does induce a certain amount of mental fatigue if you play it too long.

i do better on bosses without pots lol.

Does every boss have a tail you can cut off and receive an item? so Far I've cut off 2 tails and got some weapons

You don't want to do that, kind of a 'jack of all trades, master of none' thing. Besides, there are only a limited amount of weapons that give you equally high STR and DEX bonus. Most will give you one or the other.

Example: Say you have a weapon with an A bonus in DEX and a C bonus in STR. What do you think will give you better damage, a character with 30 STR and 30 DEX, or a character with 60 DEX and 0 STR? It will be the latter.

The only scenario I can think of where you might be better off with equal STR/DEX points would be if you had a specific weapon in mind that had a B or A bonus in both STR and DEX (assuming there are any). But even then, you will basically be stuck with that weapon. Switch to something else and you'll end up under-powered.

You're much better off picking one or the other & building it up. And keep this in mind... weapons with high STR requirements tend to be big and heavy (clubs/hammers/axes). They're powerful but slow. Weapons with high DEX are faster but smaller with probably less reach on the whole.

Does every boss have a tail you can cut off and receive an item? so Far I've cut off 2 tails and got some weapons

I believe there are 6 of them total...that I know about any way. I read this on another forum (spoilers below in case you don't want to know which bosses leave tail weapons):

1 -Gargoyles - Gargoyle Axe(not part of the rare weapon trophy, every other one is)
2 - Hellkite - Drake Sword
3 - Gaping Dragon - Dragon kings Axe or whatevs
4 - Priscilla - Priscillas dagger I think it's called (she's in the Painting world in Anor Londo...have to get peculiar doll by going back to the undead asylum to be able to use the painting)
5 - Seeth the Scaleless - Moonlight Sword
6 - Stone Dragon - Dragon Greatsword(can be cut off without penalty to the Path of the Dragon covenant, just cut it off and you can still talk to him to join)

He's referring to the Zweihander,

Oh yeah, I've got that. Can't really use it though, I'm gonna invest in DEX.

Will be home in an hour and a half, then gonna fire up Dark Souls, shoot me your PSN ID and I will add you, I got some stuff to do before I fire up Dark Souls, so I might be a little longer.

Nah, I meant where have you been for the last several days? Traffic took quite the nose dive in your absence.

Oh yeah, I've got that. Can't really use it though, I'm gonna invest in DEX.

Nah, I meant where have you been for the last several days? Traffic took quite the nose dive in your absence.

I got banned.

Yeah, I have the Zweihander but I'm also playing a Wanderer who has high dex, but I'm leveling strength anyway, I can see it being a reasonable thing to have 24 strength.

dragon slayer and executioner are ruining my day

I watched a few streams of that fight but never saw anyone actually win lol. It seems a second or third person is mandatory for that fight cause it's just way too much to deal with. I believe, if you kill the fat one first, you can cut off the tail of the second guy after he transforms. Except if you leave the dragon slayer alive he transforms into some lightning fast, leaping, whirlwind of doom :D.

On another note, I was so excited about getting into the Star Wars beta finally but after playing it for 5 minutes, I just turn it off and went right back to dark souls. I'd rather get my ass kicked in this game than play something else.

I watched a few streams of that fight but never saw anyone actually win lol. It seems a second or third person is mandatory for that fight cause it's just way too much to deal with. I believe, if you kill the fat one first, you can cut off the tail of the second guy after he transforms. Except if you leave the dragon slayer alive he transforms into some lightning fast, leaping, whirlwind of doom :D.

On another note, I was so excited about getting into the Star Wars beta finally but after playing it for 5 minutes, I just turn it off and went right back to dark souls. I'd rather get my ass kicked in this game than play something else.

meh it has to do with my commitment
i decided to go with no magic at all for first character
and its biting me in the ass
this boss would be piece of cake with magic hell all the bosses so far would be

meh it has to do with my commitment
i decided to go with no magic at all for first character
and its biting me in the ass
this boss would be piece of cake with magic hell all the bosses so far would be

You're not missing out on much. My buddy bought me the strategy guide and I looked over all the spells. Magic and Pyro spells are pretty darn boring, basically just different variations of soul arrow and fireball, snore.

Miracles on the other hand have some real nifty stuff like Homeward (evacuate), Vow of Silence (30s anti-magic zone), Tranquil Walk of Peace (30s bubble around your character that slows the speed of anyone it touches), and Heals which can be used if you plan on invading since invaders can't use estus flasks.

In light of this information, I restarted a cleric and plan to do a faith build using the Astora's Straight Sword as my primary weapon.

For your fight however, the book just says to use fire coating, stack lightning resist, and pray to god.

Does this game take right after demon's souls? I haven't played either yet but if this game is really that great, I may get demon's souls to play first and then start dark souls

Back