Dark Souls Thread

Well I got past the Capra Demon.. Proceeded to the sewers.. Got cursed.. No cure.. Going to bed..

Cure bought from guy in belltower for 3k souls, or the woman in the sewers for 6k souls.

That place was a HUGE pita for me, I got cursed three times in there, and it stacks on top of that (Ie you lose half your health, then if you get cursed agian, you lose half of THAT health).

Yeah I got those 20,000 souls and the key.. But those things inside are a bit out of my league. I'm trying to kill the Capra Demon still, the hard part is to kill the doggies first.

Like I said, the trick is to cheese them into falling off the cliff, so you don't actually do anything except run around for a second to get them to chase you. They might be out of your league if you were actually trying to kill them, but in this case that's perfectly fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKVB4sL4Sxg

^shows basically exactly what I did^

i haven't raged this bad... ever i think. i'm still in the undead burg... :eek:

So I got out of the sewers for the time being, got myself de-cursed and farmed 100,000 souls from the garden place. Anything I should get instead of just leveling up? Firebombs and arrows and Purging Stone's excluded. :p

If you're a pyro use the souls to upgrade your flame from teh guy at the shrine, then work toward Blighttown into the Swamps. Find the trainer there (have to be + 10 flame for her to show) and upgrade it there and get new spells.

Then if you want, join teh Chaos covenant and work toward the Chaos spells. (best pyro spells in game).

As far as spending it goes, work on upgrading your weapons/buying titanite from the smith and things there.

Look for what kind of weapon you want and find it, then work on upgrading it.

If you're a pyro use the souls to upgrade your flame from teh guy at the shrine, then work toward Blighttown into the Swamps. Find the trainer there (have to be + 10 flame for her to show) and upgrade it there and get new spells.

Then if you want, join teh Chaos covenant and work toward the Chaos spells. (best pyro spells in game).

As far as spending it goes, work on upgrading your weapons/buying titanite from the smith and things there.

Look for what kind of weapon you want and find it, then work on upgrading it.

I'm a warrior and I'm using the Dragon Sword, I think it needs dragon scales to upgrade it along with 10,000 souls.

Alright well I splurged all the souls on bombs, arrows, purging stones and levels, I went from 27 to 45. :p I think I'm ready for the sewers now.

Last edited:
Upgraded my Dragonslayer Spear and Drake Sword both to +4, need 4 Demon Titanite and 1 Dragon Scale to finish

I picked up this game yesterday due to all the positive reviews its gotten. I started with a thief character. The opening dungeon was challenging but not terribly hard, but now that I'm at the first external location I'm getting my butt handed to me all the time. Skeletons keep hitting so hard that they knock my shield away and hit me, I'm having trouble timing my parries so I can get the instant kill from the counter attack, and I just can't get a break.

I'm wondering if I should start a different character class. I just really like the idea of having the master key. I know I can choose it as a gift, so I may do that.

For the first demon- the Asylum Demon, I killed him by throwing bombs at him- I took them as my starting gift. I'm not sure how else to beat him. I realize that I should have done the falling attack against him, but when he knocked the ledge out from under me and I fell toward him I couldn't remember what button to press.

Also, any tips you guys can give a newbie? I really want to like this game, but if I can't figure it out I'll be returning it for Arkham City.

Yeah, go up the stairs to get to the undead burg. The skeletons at firelink shrine should be avoided at the beginning.

Good god, this game never ends! I finished anor londo and I figured I was almost done, just a few more bosses and it would be over. Oh hell fuck no it's not! I've been trying to avoid walkthroughs and spoilers as much as possible, only looking up things when I'm stuck, and holy shit there's a lot of stuff I've missed. I just now found out about the catacombs, the great hollow, returning to undead asylum, and not to mention the final levels which are pretty much a complete nightmare and all the small stuff in general that I need to backtrack and get. Good grief, this is like a second job at this point. I bet I still have 20 hours to go, at least. It's a great game, but I REALLY wish I had waited to play this until the summer gaming drought hits and I have nothing else to play. I've got like 10 other games I'm dying to get to.

Um, keep playing and wait until summer and get the other 10 games for a cheaper price?
I know I hate when I actually get decent playtime out of my purchases ;)

still rocking the drake sword. i haven't upgraded any gera yet for fear of spending on the wrong item. gotta figure out what i want to invest in.

I was in this boat as well. Even though I'm a demon's souls vet, I was still a bit intimidated and confused about the upgrading in this game. I didn't upgrade anything until I was SL48. Still haven't upgraded any armor or shield. My concern was that I'd pump a bunch of souls and titanite into a weapon only to discover a better weapon was right around the corner. Took me a while before I figured out that it doesn't really work like that.

You don't need to be so picky about which weapon to upgrade, the deciding process lies in how you upgrade it. Most every weapon in the game has very similar base numbers. The handful that don't either require 40+ STR to wield (and are thus very slow) or are pre-upgraded so you can't improve them much.

The most important thing is make sure you find a weapon with a move-set that you like. I prefer fast weapons, so I finally upgraded the Iaito to +3 lightning. Now it has 431 listed damage, it's fast, and does 300 bleed damage to boot. I'll probably be using this right through the end. I also like spears/halberds, so I may max-out one of those with a different element and I'm done.

This guide was immensely helpful for me: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Upgrades

If you like spears (like me) I highly suggest you get the Demon's spear. It drop soff those pink looking bat things in Andor londo.

It is 10x better then the lightning spear because not only doe sit do lightning idamage, but it scales on both your str/dex plus can be upgraded. Probably the best spear in the game aside from the dragon spear (that scales off faith, which I don't use).

I have to ask,f or those people that rock big weapons (IE Zweihander) how the HELL do you do it? I mean, in combat situations where you need not to get hit and such, it just seems impossible to use those weapons because of how absurdly (absurd in the sense that swords, even big ones like a Claymore/zweihander) wouldn't weigh that much at all).

Maybe I'm misisng something, but I was going to the Str/end route to wield heavy armor/weapons, but the sheer slow movement/attacks seem just impossible to me. You can't " not" get hit when you are trying to hit and get blocked, then they attack you, etc.

It just seems 10x better to roll with a quick light weapon, the gold hemmed armor (best light armour in the game it seems) and be able to attack and move around and dodge every-single attack.

That's exactly why I went with a DEX build...I can't do the armored tank/massive weapon route. I need to be fast, 50% of equip load is my maximum, but I really prefer 25% which basically means I'm stuck with Gold Hem for now.

Where do you get the Dragon's spear? Will have to try for the Demon's Spear, sounds perfect for my purposes. Already went through Anor Londo, none of those bats ever dropped one for me...

Also curious, what rings are you guys using primarily? Havel's Ring is a permanent fixture. The other is the 'optional slot', though I'm seriously considering throwing on the Ring of Favor & Protection. No other ring has matching boosts. Can't decide...

Did someone just invade my world to kill the Firekeeper in Firelink Shrine? I have a Firekeeper Soul to upgrade Estus Flask's, what do I do? Or is her dying part of the game?

I have to ask,f or those people that rock big weapons (IE Zweihander) how the HELL do you do it? I mean, in combat situations where you need not to get hit and such, it just seems impossible to use those weapons because of how absurdly (absurd in the sense that swords, even big ones like a Claymore/zweihander) wouldn't weigh that much at all).

I used a Zweihander for the entirety of the game and it worked out fine. Make sure you equip armors like Stone armor or Havel's for the poise (100+). Unless it was a boss, and many times when it was a boss, I'd be 2-handing my Zwei so I used a Grass Crest Shield for the improved stamina bonus even though the shield only blocks 95% physical.

I primarily used the jumping strong attack with the Lightning Zwei which one-shots most enemies in the game and for the beefier ones, the strong attack would knock them down so I can just follow it up with a second strong attack that would 99% of the time kill them or keep them knocked down again for another strong attack.

Crystal Golems, Taurus Demons, Capra Demons, Sentinels, all variations of Black Knights, etc can be disposed of in this manner. Just 2h the Zwei, bait out their attack, do a jumping-strong attack and follow it up with a standing strong attack and they're stunlocked/dead. Even for bosses, I'd just charge them with my shield up, once I'm in close, switch to 2h, and start wailing on them. The poise from my armor lets me attack uninterrupted and I can kill them before they kill me by going all out offense.

The only reason all-offense/no-defense worked with the Zwei is due to the knockdown effect. It is not a good choice for PvP though since the strong attack is an extremely poor tracking vertical swing which you'll never land against a real opponent but it works exceedingly well in PvE. If you want to PvP then the Claymore or Black Knight Battle Axe are the best choices due to their extremely versatile moveset.

Also curious, what rings are you guys using primarily? Havel's Ring is a permanent fixture. The other is the 'optional slot', though I'm seriously considering throwing on the Ring of Favor & Protection. No other ring has matching boosts. Can't decide...

Ring of Favor & Protection + Havel's Ring for me or I'll swap out Havel's for Resist rings if the area/boss calls for it. If they ever fix PvP then I'll have to make a new character and I'll definitely be going for the Wood Grain Ring (flips) and Hornet's Ring (50% more critical dmg)

Did someone just invade my world to kill the Firekeeper in Firelink Shrine? I have a Firekeeper Soul to upgrade Estus Flask's, what do I do? Or is her dying part of the game?
Part of the game.

Estus Flask upgrades can be done by the NPC beneath Queelag's room.

Part of the game.

Estus Flask upgrades can be done by the NPC beneath Queelag's room.

I don't think I've been there :( I found the way out of Blight Town before I even killed the boss and rang the bell. Good to know I'm close though.

Last edited:
That's exactly why I went with a DEX build...I can't do the armored tank/massive weapon route. I need to be fast, 50% of equip load is my maximum, but I really prefer 25% which basically means I'm stuck with Gold Hem for now.

Where do you get the Dragon's spear? Will have to try for the Demon's Spear, sounds perfect for my purposes. Already went through Anor Londo, none of those bats ever dropped one for me...

If you haven't got it yet, go to Sens fortress again and find the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring. It boosts your item discovery by 200 (making it 300 total)..

Then put it on and go to Andor londo and on the rotating platform that you use to move up/down, go down to the middle (where you head up into the citadel). You should have opened the gate area that leads to the blacksmith. So you can kill both packs of the bat thing s(one on each side, near the blacksmith and the other on the right side where you had to go originally).

It should drop soon if you try farming them a couple times with the ring.

For me, I usually have Havels ring, and then the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring or the one that boosts physical protection, and change it out for the area/boss .

I don't think I've been there :( I found the way out of Blight Town before I even killed the boss and rang the bell. Good to know I'm close though.
Queelag is the spider boss that protects the second bell. There's a room just after where she's fought, and there's an illusionary wall in that room. The NPC is in there.

edit: be careful that you don't use the Firelink Shrine keepers soul when you upgrade...

Queelag is the spider boss that protects the second bell. There's a room just after where she's fought, and there's an illusionary wall in that room. The NPC is in there.

edit: be careful that you don't use the Firelink Shrine keepers soul when you upgrade...

I accidently did that :(, does it have a huge affect on anything?

Is her's unique? Or just "Firekeeper's Soul"? If the item is labeled the same as a standard Firekeepers Soul and stacks with others, then you should just be able to get another from somewhere else and use it to bring her back.

Can someone explain to me how the fuck to start this game? From the first bonfire I go up and kill a TON of skeletons that give me no souls (except one big one) and there seems to be no exit from the grave yard. I go the other way and use a transient curse to kill 20 ghosts that give no souls. Eventually I get overwhelmed. Lol I spent 4 hours and can't get anywhere,

The Graveyard/catacombs area is inteded for a higher lv. I wouldn't recommend starting there at all, let alone until you get a divine weapon or such.

Head to the right instead up the bridge) and toward the Undead Burg area to start out, it's much more for lower lv's.

Can someone explain to me how the fuck to start this game? From the first bonfire I go up and kill a TON of skeletons that give me no souls (except one big one) and there seems to be no exit from the grave yard. I go the other way and use a transient curse to kill 20 ghosts that give no souls. Eventually I get overwhelmed. Lol I spent 4 hours and can't get anywhere,

Yikes! The transient curse thing, you'll want to save those for later when you return to the areas with ghosts. You can buy them but they're 4k each. As to your question, stay the hell away from the graveyard for now. And probably tomorrow and the next day. I made the same mistake, spending hours and hours dying/returning/dying. Instead of going that direction, you'll want to go up the stairs to the right of the well to Undead Parish where you'll at least have a prayer. That area should keep you busy for a day or two.

Ring of Favor & Protection + Havel's Ring for me or I'll swap out Havel's for Resist rings if the area/boss calls for it. If they ever fix PvP then I'll have to make a new character and I'll definitely be going for the Wood Grain Ring (flips) and Hornet's Ring (50% more critical dmg)

Is the wood grain ring the same one that people call the 'ninja' ring or the dark ring? I heard it allows you to run at max speed with 50% load as opposed to 25% (in addition to the flips). Is this true? If so, it may be even better than the ROFP. My goal, if it's even possible, is to wear the complete Havel armor set and still be able to run at max speed.

Where do you get this ring??

Is the wood grain ring the same one that people call the 'ninja' ring or the dark ring? I heard it allows you to run at max speed with 50% load as opposed to 25% (in addition to the flips). Is this true? If so, it may be even better than the ROFP. My goal, if it's even possible, is to wear the complete Havel armor set and still be able to run at max speed.

Where do you get this ring??

Yea, it's the ninja ring. You get it by joining the forest covenant and then going under the waterwheel in blighttown to meet Shiva. If you attack Shiva, his invisible ninja bodyguard will pop out and you have to kill it to get the ring. Just make sure you're prepared to take out both of them and then you'll probably have to pay for atonement at oswald if you want to get back into the forest covenant. AFAIK, it doesn't do anything regarding equipload, it just replaces your roll with a faster flip.

Funny, I just watched a video of someone fighting the Gaping Dragon... man that boss looks way easier than it actually seems. Just stay the fuck away from the cloud I guess.

Before you make the final call on this, I would suggest you try one more thing that should take you another 2 hours or so. Go to the merchant in undead parish, buy yourself a short bow and 50 cheap arrows. Make your way to the red hellkite drake guarding the bridge and shoot his tail. You'll get the Drake Sword and it will really open up the game. It made a huge difference for me. Prior to getting it I felt the same as you, I was starting to lose my patience and considering switching over to Rage. I'm sure glad I stuck it out, and I'd bet you would too...

So going through the Undead Berg and Undead Parish I've come to the conclusion this game is far more tedious than Demon's Souls. I think I'm going to finish FFXIII before I get back to this game. Shame. The constant frame chugging sucks too :(

Quitting already? Well, this game really isn't for everyone. Maybe you should put it down for a while. I put it down for the last week, so I can pick it up again, it's a game I want to savor my time with, not one I want to marathon my way to the end with. Plenty of games out there, very few good ones.

BTW, FF13 is garbage, easily the worst game in the FF series besides Mystic Quest.

The ONLY redeeming feature of FF13 is the battle system, which I kind of liked, but the story, characters, the linearity of it, it felt totally uninspired.

There's no open world exploration untill the 10th chapter of the game or whatever, by then, the game is already nearing the end.

It's definitely a Final Fantasy game in name only.

The game is hard, but then you see some guy playing it from start (character creation) to finish -- all in an hour and half :eek:

The first 12 minutes of his game (getting past the Belfry gargoyles) took me about 5 hours. He rang the second bell of awakening a little under 19 minutes.

He used clever shortcuts though, for example, he rests at firelink shrine, went up and took the drake sword, beat the Taurus Demon and the Belfry Gargoyles then used homeward bone to warp back. Basically he went through only the areas and bosses that progress the game. Also didn't bother with bonfires or fighting fodder enemies unless they're blocking his way and just runs past them. He also killed NPCs for useful items to loot. He skipped the cutscenes of course, since they're skippable with a button press, but retains the loading screens.

It's pretty impressive and kinda depressing to watch. I mean wtf, I'm stuggling to get past those bosses, and he just zips through them :(

Video is split into 7 parts, here's the first of seven. Links to the next videos are on each page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9ymysN3qQ8

I'm not quitting really. I'd mail it back to the states and have my wife trade it in if I was quitting. It just isn't fun at the moment. Hit mob, block, hit mob, dodge, hit mob, block, hit mob, block, hit mob, and win. I'm not hitting anything for shit even with 2 hand swings. Things are just taking forever to die. I'm really liking the environments though. I'm going to take the suggestions on getting the Drake Sword. There was this HUGE knight on top of a tower and I parried and riposted like 10 times and the guy was STILL ALIVE. That just isn't fun (to me). I'll beat this game. Just not this month.

As for FF13 (I like it. I've beat them all but 11/12 and personally enjoy it).

that black knight on top of tower isn't meant to be killed with starting weapons / unenchanted weapons
it's there because devs FUCKING HATE YOU

You got a ways to go before you can best that knight in the tower even with the Drake Sword.

I'm not quitting really. I'd mail it back to the states and have my wife trade it in if I was quitting. It just isn't fun at the moment. Hit mob, block, hit mob, dodge, hit mob, block, hit mob, block, hit mob, and win. I'm not hitting anything for shit even with 2 hand swings. Things are just taking forever to die. I'm really liking the environments though. I'm going to take the suggestions on getting the Drake Sword. There was this HUGE knight on top of a tower and I parried and riposted like 10 times and the guy was STILL ALIVE. That just isn't fun (to me). I'll beat this game. Just not this month.

As for FF13 (I like it. I've beat them all but 11/12 and personally enjoy it).

Those black Knights are like Mini-bosses, they are meant to be tough, they do not respawn or anything like normal enemies. They can also drop good things, such as the Black Knight sword/greatsword/halbred.

Also yes, The Drake sword is pretty much the BEST starter weapon, once you get it thing sfall a lot quicker.

It should last you quite a ways into the game even, I used it up until Sens fortress, where you find the Lightning spear, which is a great quick weapon.

yeah that knight scared the hell out of me when i first came across him. led him back to the red dragon to take care of him for me.

I beat Taurus Demon last night- I've been reading this thread and bought the strat guide, so I knew about the plunging attack,but I was so nervous going in. I managed to kill him on my first try! I was so excited I was screaming when I got the "DEFEATED" message. he only hit me once- the last time I went up the ladder.

It seems like he gets faster as he looses health. I dealt with him by rolling past him and running down the bridge to get him away from the tower and then I'd do a jumping leap past him on my way back, run up the tower, rinse/repeat. The last 2 times I rook him futher down the bridge but he got back to me faster each time. Made for some really tense moments.

the game opened up a lot for me when I realized I needed to just ignore the first Black Knight you come across. I did attack him and lead him around so I could get the treasure, but I could not beat him for anything.

Getting ready to shoot off Hellkite's tail- I'm just nervous about that battle.

I've been playing for something like 5 hours and I'm only lvl 13. It's been a big learning curve, but I finally feel like I'm starting to get a hang on the basics. I just wish I could parry- I can never seem to get the timing down for it. Backstabs are also difficult because it's hard to judge when you're "behind" them enough.

Getting ready to shoot off Hellkite's tail- I'm just nervous about that battle.

It's not a battle, just go under the bridge and shoot it. It's just more like a secret weapon. The other Gaping Dragon also drops an axe from his tail, but you can call that a real battle.

for those with strength builds; whats your favorite weapon?

Str isn't only for large weapons.

I am mainly a str build with end/dex, my favorite weapon is the Demon spear.

It's very very quick, you can use it while also holding up your shield (so you can block incoming attacks), it does lightning damage as well as it scales on str/dex (which the lightning spear doesn't scale at all). It's one of the best spears in the games and great for those that like mobolity/speed over large slow weapons/armor.

Back