Dark Souls Thread

So, is online really broke or what?

I just joined the Darkmoon covenant and got my blue orb.

In the past two hours of trying to use it all over th eplace, from Firelink, to the catacombs, to Andor, blighttown,e tc I haven't got a SINGLE mp match.

I thought now was a good time to pvp, but if it's this bad....why is it so broken? It seems they just have thing stoo tight in terms of location to fight, etc.

Like with even the Summon signs for example, if you want to put your sign down for that area's boss, you have to WAIT there, why the fuck can't they let you wsimply place your sign down, and then go about your buisness playing the game and let someoen summon you if they want? I mean how would that harm anything? It would allow more people to partake in online without having to WASTE time standing about "hoping" someone will summon them.

I t just seems when it comes to online, Dark Souls took two-steps back from Demon's souls and then some.

Especially with the stupid Orange soapstone to read/write shit and having to equip it. I have rated over 100+ msg's, left about as many ALL in helpful things (IE boss strategy, hidden locations, warning, etc) and haven't got a SINGLE rating myself. It seems people just odn't bother because it takes too much time.

so looks like another patch is otw
fixes some mp issues
also talks about ring of fog and peace spell

how hard is the jump to the iaito sword in blightown? about to attempt it but i haven't tried the jump control yet. don't have a ton of soulse but still not excited about possibly plummeting to my death.

how hard is the jump to the iaito sword in blightown? about to attempt it but i haven't tried the jump control yet. don't have a ton of soulse but still not excited about possibly plummeting to my death.

If you've made it to the bonfire, go straight from it ahead (not toward the hellhounds area) but down the ladder that's straight from it. There's two guys at the bottom of the ladder, kill them and THEN go try to jump it.

IF you miss, you will probably survive (if you're full health) but those two guys would be waiting for you, and would kill you most likely.

When jumping for it, remember, there's a piece of the walkway that's longer on one edge, use that to jump off, don't do it in the middle.

Dark Souls - incoming patch info

http://darksouls.fromsoftware.jp/online/

Google translate does a sloppy job, but here is a better translation from a native japanese reader:

The main cases to be corrected:

A bug where the effect of Magic Shield and Strong Magic Shield work even when not blocking
A bug where there is a delay in incantation time brought forth by consecutive use of magic
Revision of the Fog Ring's unfair effect on locking
Revision of the effectiveness of Tranquil Walk of Peace
A data read error during a complete map change
Alterations to matching conditions/requirements (etc.)

※The details on the improvement of these items will be announced again at a later date

At this time, we are truly very sorry to everyone for the great amount of inconvenience and trouble we have caused. Once more, we give our apologies.

Also:

Limitless use of spells and items(possible reference to the duping glitch)
Rebalancing of elemental weapons against scaling weapons (New)
Adjustment of matching conditions.
Problems after changing maps

So i tried shooting the red dragon from the top of the tower that had a black knight (for lulz purposes on my second character), and I got disconnected from PSN along with an error message popping up. DIdn't get any souls, and the dragon respawned a minute or two later. Looks like they don't want people killing it that way anymore or something.

lmao, I fought the hydra in the underground lake...well more like I ran away from it exploring first and hoping there was an exit only to find a dead-end with an NPC. ANYWAYS, on my way back for the long climb back to blighttown the Hydra positioned itself by one of tree zones in the environment and decided to bird shot me as usual. The huge tree was an obstacle, and all its shots hit it; all those shots sent splash damage right back at the Hydra itself and instant killed it!! ^^;
I really hope I can reproduce that in a new game+; or was I really really lucky? lol

Hellkite wasn't visible for me from that tower either when I'd go through the Undead Burg and under the bridge. Once I got the shortcut for the Undead Parish and I worked my way back to that tower he was now visible. I didn't have any arrows so I got him with a crossbow bolt. Easy 10k souls and access to another bonfire.

Hellkite wasn't visible for me from that tower either when I'd go through the Undead Burg and under the bridge. Once I got the shortcut for the Undead Parish and I worked my way back to that tower he was now visible. I didn't have any arrows so I got him with a crossbow bolt. Easy 10k souls and access to another bonfire.

Strange...I wonder why it gave me error messages and kicked me off PSN then, since it apparently still works.

well I decided to do the dragon headstone glitch as a Lv75 thf, grabbed 2mil souls and used 500k to buy arrows and upgrade mats, only leveled up to 80, I have about 1.3m left but not gonna use them for leveling

Took me 4:14 hours to get to lvl20 and to the bit where the dragon breathes his flamewaves on the bridge after the Tauren boss. I did kill both two bosses on the first try though. Good game.

well I decided to do the dragon headstone glitch as a Lv75 thf, grabbed 2mil souls and used 500k to buy arrows and upgrade mats, only leveled up to 80, I have about 1.3m left but not gonna use them for leveling

glitch rocks, no more dumb farming

how hard is the hydra in ash lake? seems difficult with how large it is, plus it can leap over the fucking sand

also, is there any equipment to boost the breath attack from the dragon head stone?

how hard is the hydra in ash lake? seems difficult with how large it is, plus it can leap over the fucking sand

also, is there any equipment to boost the breath attack from the dragon head stone?

Hydra is simple once you get up close.

Go into the water in front of it, it will stop doing the range attack and the heads will try to physically attack you. Just hold your shield up when it attacks, then the heads will be stuck into the lake/sand, hit the necks and take off each head over the course. It's very simple once you get it down.

You just have to be VERy careful and watch out because in the lake there's a sudden drop off that will instantly kill you if you walk over the edge.

glad to hear it. tried going in the water right away and fell. gave up after that. tried melee from beach and got my ass handed to me. trying this tactic tomorrow.

Good god, this game never ends! I finished anor londo and I figured I was almost done, just a few more bosses and it would be over. Oh hell fuck no it's not! I've been trying to avoid walkthroughs and spoilers as much as possible, only looking up things when I'm stuck, and holy shit there's a lot of stuff I've missed. I just now found out about the catacombs, the great hollow, returning to undead asylum, and not to mention the final levels which are pretty much a complete nightmare and all the small stuff in general that I need to backtrack and get. Good grief, this is like a second job at this point. I bet I still have 20 hours to go, at least. It's a great game, but I REALLY wish I had waited to play this until the summer gaming drought hits and I have nothing else to play. I've got like 10 other games I'm dying to get to.

Just run away from him, he mysteriously died the last time I did this.

I picked up this game yesterday due to all the positive reviews its gotten. I started with a thief character. The opening dungeon was challenging but not terribly hard, but now that I'm at the first external location I'm getting my butt handed to me all the time. Skeletons keep hitting so hard that they knock my shield away and hit me, I'm having trouble timing my parries so I can get the instant kill from the counter attack, and I just can't get a break.

I'm wondering if I should start a different character class. I just really like the idea of having the master key. I know I can choose it as a gift, so I may do that.

For the first demon- the Asylum Demon, I killed him by throwing bombs at him- I took them as my starting gift. I'm not sure how else to beat him. I realize that I should have done the falling attack against him, but when he knocked the ledge out from under me and I fell toward him I couldn't remember what button to press.

Also, any tips you guys can give a newbie? I really want to like this game, but if I can't figure it out I'll be returning it for Arkham City.

I picked the warrior as my starting class and I was a total noob to this game, killed the Asylum Demon on my first try. The next part did get a lot harder but I'm still working my way through it pretty well.

You should try the warrior with a shield and sword or maybe a battleaxe when you have enough strength, I usually use it with two hands with the shield on my back to kill weaker enemies in one light strike and switch to shield depending on what I'm fighting.

Important
Also make sure you are in the right place, when you get to Firelink Shrine, take the stairs (up, not down) on the mountain side you can see from the bonfire. This will take you Undead Burg which is the place you're supposed to go to. The enemies there are a lot easier than the ones in the graveyard.

You can pick a master key as a gift? How does this work?

Last edited:
I found a pretty good farming spot just inside the garden. You'll need 20k souls to buy the key from the blacksmith, but that's the only hard part (at lower levels). The key opens the glowing door not too far up the path near the hidden bonfire. Once inside there are a few tough enemies that give 2k-3k souls when you kill them. The trick is you can cheese their patching and have them fall off the cliff. When the die, just run back to the bonfire and rest to reset them. I've been getting about 7k souls every 2 minutes doing that. It's a great way to upgrade all of your gear fairly early on.

still rocking the drake sword. i haven't upgraded any gera yet for fear of spending on the wrong item. gotta figure out what i want to invest in.

I never used the Dragon Sword. By the time I was curious enough to shoot the tail, my battle axe was stronger than it anyway.

I figured if there was a badass dragon guarding that area then it was wise to come back to it later. Seems like the dragon was supposed to leave at some point or something, as what was back there were things that would have fit right after you get to him the first time. Like the dragon was supposed to leave after you got passed him or something.

Any tips on the Capra Demon? Motherfu*ker.
Or rather, I'm level 24, just rang the first bell in the tower, should I go straight for the other one?

I'm gonna go and try to get the Flying Dragon Sword now. EDIT: Damn this thing is BADASS! :D That's another weapon I suggest for you CreganTur, it's really easy to get.

Last edited:
Any tips on the Capra Demon? Motherfu*ker.
Or rather, I'm level 24, just rang the first bell in the tower, should I go straight for the other one?

I'm gonna go and try to get the Flying Dragon Sword now. EDIT: Damn this thing is BADASS! :D That's another weapon I suggest for you CreganTur, it's really easy to get.

For the Capra Demon, when you first get in, avoid his first attack (usually the 2 handed one) and dodge the dogs and run up the stairs. Kill the dogs on the stairs and now you can deal with the Capra Demon easily. You should be able to keep circling it pretty easily and getting your hits in and if you're a magic user run up the stairs and toss a few spell at it then fall down and keep repeating, basically making it go in a circle like pattern.

For the Capra Demon, when you first get in, avoid his first attack (usually the 2 handed one) and dodge the dogs and run up the stairs. Kill the dogs on the stairs and now you can deal with the Capra Demon easily. You should be able to keep circling it pretty easily and getting your hits in and if you're a magic user run up the stairs and toss a few spell at it then fall down and keep repeating, basically making it go in a circle like pattern.

Thanks! I think it will be a lot easier with the Drake Sword than it would have been with a simple Battleaxe. I'll try to get the 20,000 souls for the key for the door in the garden first though, but having the dragon on the bridge missing, it's kind of slow..

Also I haven't figured out how to use any spells or miracles. Do I just buy them from the merchants and equip them or do I need something else?

Last edited:
Thanks! I think it will be a lot easier with the Drake Sword than it would have been with a simple Battleaxe. I'll try to get the 20,000 souls for the key for the door in the garden first though, but having the dragon on the bridge missing, it's kind of slow..

Also I haven't figured out how to use any spells or miracles. Do I just buy them from the merchants and equip them or do I need something else?
The spells need to be equipped, marked as active in the inventory (up on the dpad) and you need to have the appropriate item equipped (catalyst for spells, pyromancer flame or talisman for miracles.) Then "attack" using the hand holding the item, like you would with a weapon or shield.

Good god, this game never ends! I finished anor londo and I figured I was almost done, just a few more bosses and it would be over. Oh hell fuck no it's not! I've been trying to avoid walkthroughs and spoilers as much as possible, only looking up things when I'm stuck, and holy shit there's a lot of stuff I've missed. I just now found out about the catacombs, the great hollow, returning to undead asylum, and not to mention the final levels which are pretty much a complete nightmare and all the small stuff in general that I need to backtrack and get. Good grief, this is like a second job at this point. I bet I still have 20 hours to go, at least. It's a great game, but I REALLY wish I had waited to play this until the summer gaming drought hits and I have nothing else to play. I've got like 10 other games I'm dying to get to.

I feel the exact same way. Too many games coming out now, and I have already put 40+ hours into this. Just finished Anor Londo and Catacombs.

I used the tree enemies and giant, slow knights in the garden. The trees are 100 souls each and the big knights are 300 each. Neither are hard to kill.

I used the tree enemies and giant, slow knights in the garden. The trees are 100 souls each and the big knights are 300 each. Neither are hard to kill.

Yeah I got those 20,000 souls and the key.. But those things inside are a bit out of my league. I'm trying to kill the Capra Demon still, the hard part is to kill the doggies first.

later in the game there's spot you can farm Capra Demon for easy 5400 per min
given you have pyro or magic

Well I got past the Capra Demon.. Proceeded to the sewers.. Got cursed.. No cure.. Going to bed..

Back