Dark Souls Thread

I just got the wood grain ring and I can confirm, you can run full speed at 50% max load with this thing. I'm wearing the full smough armor set with full mobility. If you guys haven't grabbed this thing, it oughta be next on your list.

After I got better at kicking trash mobs into fires or off of cliffs the game got WAY MORE enjoyable :)

Kick > Anything in this game lol. Mob waiting for a riposte - boot to the head. Mob hiding behind a shield with a spear - boot to the head.

I read that the orange charred ring adds a fire effect to the kick. Could be interesting :p

So I'm working my way through the Catacombs and the other places after acquiring the Lordvessel. I've been using the Lightning Spear since Sen's Fortress but I'm wondering if there's something better out there? I have the soul from Ornstein the dragonslayer from the twin bosses, I think that can be used for a spear?

The first time I got to the boar, he just rammed the hell out of me, but he ended up standing on the fire next to me until he died :p

I stood beyond his reach behind the pillars and roasted pork chops with fireballs.
:cool:

The first time he got me when I tried running back down the path to dive into the corridor. I went to check out the doors behind the wagon, and he charged me.

just made a divine mace club +5 or whatever

what causes you to stumble when swinging a onehanded weapon? it's pissing me off

You're doing it wrong.

It sounds to me like you don't meet the required stats to wield the weapon. That causes you to stumble when you swing because you can't wield it proficiently.

im pretty sure the STR req. is only 18, my STR is 40, and faith req is also lower than mine, which is at 30

Some weapons have a built-in stumble at the end of the wing, part of the move-set, like some of the halberds. Don't ask me why they did that.

I'm currently grinding to reinforce my gear before going up against the first gargoyle. I decided to tackle the Black Knight with the greatsword on top of the tower again- he;s killed me more times than I'd like to admit.

I managed to backstab him and land a couple of blows. At one point I moved back on the other side of the staircase. He did a thrust attack and knocked me off the tower! I thought I was a goner, but I didn't die when I landed. To my horror, he jumped off the tower to follow me! I barely had any health but was able to use an Estus flask and kill him!

Next I went up to the tower and used the 1 arrow bug to kill the Hellkite. I took a long time linig up the shot because I couldn't see his head. When I shot, he jumped and disappeared, but nothing else happened. I got worried that maybe I wasn't going to get the souls, but when I got to the base of the tower I heard the death scream and they were awarded. Wierd thing was I went back to the bridge a while later and heard the dragon's roar and the sound of him jumping on the bridge.

I'm at the last boss and I'm about to burst a blood vessel he's pissin me off so bad. I keep readin he's supposedly really easy, but I am getting my ass handed to me. I owned the hell out of seath, nito, and the four kings. I beat all of them on the first try and maybe used two estus flasks on each of them. Last boss, I can barely get a hit off before the dirty bastard kills me. I've tried several different strategies people suggested, and I just get raped. I don't even want to fight him again, but I have to beat this damn game!!!

I don't know why people keep saying a certain boss is easy without saying what build they're using or if they cheesed it or not. It's basically what 100% determines the difficulty of a boss. As a pure melee build, I had trouble with the last boss as well since I didn't have a decent shield for parrying (was rocking a Black Iron Greatshield +15). Basically every suggestion amounted to "parry him" or "just out-damage him with Iron Flesh and a 2-hander", which obviously I couldn't do.

Eventually I learned to just keep the distance between the both of us using the pillars in the middle of the room and ONLY attacking after he failed to use the grab move, otherwise I wouldn't have enough stamina to block his attacks. It took like 15 minutes to kill him, though :)

Hahaha, the Anor Londo snipers.

If it makes you feel any better, that's basically where most DS players lose their patience.

I love Anor Londo, I'm actually going through all the areas again to farm shit since nothing can kill me one vs one anymore

I don't know why people keep saying a certain boss is easy without saying what build they're using or if they cheesed it or not. It's basically what 100% determines the difficulty of a boss. As a pure melee build, I had trouble with the last boss as well since I didn't have a decent shield for parrying (was rocking a Black Iron Greatshield +15). Basically every suggestion amounted to "parry him" or "just out-damage him with Iron Flesh and a 2-hander", which obviously I couldn't do.

Eventually I learned to just keep the distance between the both of us using the pillars in the middle of the room and ONLY attacking after he failed to use the grab move, otherwise I wouldn't have enough stamina to block his attacks. It took like 15 minutes to kill him, though :)

Hahahaha! I finally beat this damn thing!!

I'm a pure melee build too, and I kept trying that 2 hand bullshit strategy, and it didn't work worth a damn. I ended up using the pillar strategy too, and attacking him through the pillar with my halberd. Took a while, but it did the trick. I had figured that strategy out on my own initially and was having moderate success, but everything i read kept saying to do the 2 hand thing so kept trying that. Should have just followed my instinct and stuck with what was working.

In retrospect, this was NOT a fun experience. I really didn't have fun playing DS, it was just to prove to myself that I could beat it. I know a lot of people enjoy the challenge of these games, but I game to have fun and relax these days. Life is stressful enough without my hobby stressing me out too. If there's another sequel, I'm gonna pass. I'm getting too old for this shit, lol.

You could equip the fog ring AND use hidden body which should get you close enough to not worry about arrows. But basically once you get to the top go right because the one on the left will shoot the wall. Roll, don't block, under the arrows until he goes sword and shield. Having the wood ring or under 50% burden helps there. Then parrying is the easiest way to take him out.

I used hidden body and ran my ass through there the last time I was there. The first time though, I had to try it about a half dozen times before I finally pulled it off.

This game has just moved into "I don't care anymore territory." So I'm on a ledge with 40 endurance, 160 stamina, and a 100% physical block shield. One giant arrow hits me while I have my shield up, I get pushed to the wall behind me, and then I actually BOUNCE (yes bounce) off of the wall. I hit the wall with my back at 35 degrees and then I bounce at a 90 degree angle to the wall and to my death. I'm so done with this game for awhile. It ceased to be enjoyable with shit like that.

At least there is a bonfire immediately past them :p

I'm stuck at Capra Demon ATM. Well, not stuck really. I've only tried him twice. I've just had trouble because one of the dogs jumps on me as soon as I enter and Capra's able to hit me with his downward swing before I can get away, which knocks my health to nex to nothing. I'm going to try to get him next time.

Quick Question- I'm playing a Thief. Is it worth farming the Undead Assassins just before Capra to try to get the undead thief armor set? I've already reinforced some of my equipment.

i know a lot of people had an easy go with capra, he was a major pain for me. i summoned some help.

people having problems with certain bosses are usually playing thief

protip; just because you rolled a thief doesn't mean you can't make a more versatile build from your thief

my "thief" is rocking dragonslayer spear+5 main, Logan's Catalyst offhand, Crown of Dusk, along with the other 3 pieces of gold trimmed, and Crystal Shield and Crystal Ring Shield +5, Ring of Favor perm. left finger and usually Bellowed Dragoncrest right finger, Capped Stamina with max equip burden of 112.8

Homing Crystal Soulmass with INT at 50 is OP lol

I'm stuck at Capra Demon ATM. Well, not stuck really. I've only tried him twice. I've just had trouble because one of the dogs jumps on me as soon as I enter and Capra's able to hit me with his downward swing before I can get away, which knocks my health to nex to nothing. I'm going to try to get him next time.

Quick Question- I'm playing a Thief. Is it worth farming the Undead Assassins just before Capra to try to get the undead thief armor set? I've already reinforced some of my equipment.

Go in with your shield up. Immediately roll toward the stairs and run up. When the boss comes up the stairs and is near the top, go ahead and jump off. The boss should stay up on the ledge for a moment, and the dogs should be separated from him too. Try to kill the dogs, but if the boss gets near before you're able to, just repeat the process. Once the dogs are dead, the boss is a joke. You can make it really easy by just running up the steps, jumping down, and waiting for the boss to jump down after you. When he jumps down he will sit there "stunned" for a moment and you can get several free hits. You do lose a little bit of hp every time you jump down from the ledge, so make sure you aren't super low before you do it.

I've killed the double boss fight (easy once I figured out to kill fatty and hug the legs of the guy with the lance once he enrages). I've met with the Gwen lady. I have no idea where to go from here. Everything seems to be a dead end. Yellow wall in Anor Lando or w/e and the yellow wall in the demon ruins will not let me through. I'm f'n ecstatic about the ability to warp between some bonfires now.

Questions: Where do I go now? I killed the Wolf and Hydra in the forest already as well. Besides hunting down some Moth I read about I don't know what to do.

Also, I used the black eye orb and killed the person that slayed the Firelink Shrine Keeper. No way for her to return though?

Go back to Firelink to visit the cave where the bonfire keeper was, and then go talk to the primordial serpent thing.

If you are interested in the Dark Wraith covenant you may want to look that up first before talking with Frampt the serpent

I can't wait for Frampt. I've got a lot of stuff to feed him.

I've been thinking about the MoonBlade Covenant, or whichever one lets you hunt down "sinners." Either that or the Dragon Covenant where you hunt those with dragon scales.

I went back to the caged wall the keeper was at Firelink and it said, "Dead." Gwen did tell me about the serpent. I just forgot about that freaky ass thing. Thanks for the tip. I'll get to it after work. For a time waister while deployed this game is it. Might take a break for Uncharted 3 though.

Oh, if you didn't use the firekeeper soul you got from Lautrec it should give you a new option at the cage thingy.

I can't wait for Frampt. I've got a lot of stuff to feed him.

I've been thinking about the MoonBlade Covenant, or whichever one lets you hunt down "sinners." Either that or the Dragon Covenant where you hunt those with dragon scales.

Don't get too excited about frampt, he's doesn't give you shit for your stuff. Like 50-100 souls for almost every item in the game, except a few choice things.

I think Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have ruined all other 3rd person games for me. I considered Batman: Arkham City and Uncharted 1/2 some of my favorite games ever and was extremely psyched for Batman: Arkham City and Uncharted 3. However, after playing DS/DrS, I found myself rushing through Batman: AC as fast as possible and now I feel like I gotta force myself to beat Uncharted 3. Both games have entertaining stories but I really don't feel like drudging through their combat system and wish I could just watch cutscenes all the way to the end lol.

New patch will be out noon nov 2nd for japan
I'm not sure when for na

Still not sure about the release, but I found the patch notes:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po...ships-15-million-copies-plus-104-patch-notes/

Some magic effects have been revised. (Magic Shield, Greater Magic Shield, Tranquil Walk of Peace, Ring of Fog, Iron Flesh)
Elemental enhanced and Stat enhanced weapons have been rebalanced.
Some slight adjustments have been made to other weapons, equipment, and magic. (Pyromancer's Flame's magic adjustment)
Matching and multiplayer conditions have been adjusted.
Defeating a boss in multiplayer will now reward the host with the full amount of souls from the boss.
When failing to invade a player's world using the Cracked Red Eye Orb, the item will no longer be used up.
Adjustments to the amount of suols dropped by enemies.
Adjustments to the item drops from enemies.
Some bosses will drop Humanity and Homeward Bones now.
Increased Drop rates for certain Covenant items and Equipment Enhancement materials which had extremely low drop rates.
Adjusted the Item Discovery increase rate which scales with Humanity levels.
Item lists in shops have been adjusted. (Bottomless Box added to Male Undead Merchant. Bunch of arrows added to Female Undead Merchant, Andrei, Domnhall, Giant Blacksmith, and Vamos. Domnhall will sell the Master Key after he moves to the Firelink Shrine. Giant and Vamos both sell the various equipment boxes. Giant sells a bunch of shards now. Vamos sells Titanite Shards. Ingward sells Transient Curse.)
The amount of Faith required to join the Sunlight Covenant is now 25 instead of 50. The formula for reducing it with multiplayer remains the same.
Paying for your sins is now cheaper. The formula is Level x 500 souls, instead of Level x 2000 souls previously.
Equipment Weight adjustments.
Lock-on behavior has been adjusted.
Fixed certain cases of game freezing.
Changed the way souls are displayed in the Level Up Menu.
Fixed the exploit with infinite weapon/magic usage.
Fixed the 1 second delay during certain attack animations.
Fixed the bug where Solaire isn't in New Game+.
Fixed the shard bug with Frampt which took away all your shards if you had more than 99.
Fixed getting stuck in certain parts of the map, being unable to progress.
Changed some English text in the game to be consistent with corrections made in the overseas version of the game.

yeah, i was hoping they'd fix that too. can't understand why you would bother to exploit that. defeats the whole purpose of the game imo.

it actually doesn't, not when you restart the game with an 8% difficulty hike on each completion

I'm hearing they did fix the soul glitch

Back