Dark Souls is on Steam

I have already done painted world- did it as a part of my runthrough in Anor Londo. I have not cleared out the basement where the pinwheel guys are, though.

I decided to go to the catacombs and I am loving it. This place is very thematic and quite fun to explore. I did make sure to load up with a +5 divine Balder Side Sword to make the skellies a little easier. About to enter the Tomb of Giants.

I have already done painted world- did it as a part of my runthrough in Anor Londo. I have not cleared out the basement where the pinwheel guys are, though.

I decided to go to the catacombs and I am loving it. This place is very thematic and quite fun to explore. I did make sure to load up with a +5 divine Balder Side Sword to make the skellies a little easier. About to enter the Tomb of Giants.

I always try and do the Catacombs very early in the game as you get the ability to Kindle bonfires after beating the boss...for my first run I used a +5 Divine Club which was nice but now that I know where all the Necromancers are I just use a powerful straight weapon and kill the necros quickly so the skeletons don't reanimate...also after completing the Catacombs and resting at a bonfire the necros that you killed stay dead so you don't need to use the Divine weapon anymore

Beat pinwheel. He was a lot easier than I expected. I guess everything can't be as hard as 4 kings.

Started Tomb of the Giants and the first giant skellie surprised and owned me.

Beat pinwheel. He was a lot easier than I expected. I guess everything can't be as hard as 4 kings.

Started Tomb of the Giants and the first giant skellie surprised and owned me.

Pinwheel boss is crazy easy.....Pinwheel Skeletons are the hard part.

Now that I have a good shield and high stamina the pinwheel skeletons don't bother me at all as long as I have enough room to deflect them or just maneuver around them.

Now that I have a good shield and high stamina the pinwheel skeletons don't bother me at all as long as I have enough room to deflect them or just maneuver around them.

Fighting 1 is easy...its when you have 2 or more that they become a problem. Get 1 from the front and 1 from the back and its over.

My biggest issue when fighting them is locking on. I'll lock on and he'll fly past me which turns me around and I get boned from the back. I could take is slow and fight them 1 on 1 one but I live dangerously.

Tomb of the Giants was a complete hassle. It's not horrible if you take it very, very slowly - but it's really tough if you go at a normal pace.

Yeah the pinwheels in painted World and catacombs didn't give me a lot of stress, I had enough stamina, I could block them until their attack was over and kill them with a few whacks of a lighting man lizard sword. But once I tried to run for it and got surrounded and killed in the catacombs. Catacombs seemed like a cool level but I think I was too powerful because the normal skeletons were like trash mobs, although I still died a few times trying to figure out the cliff jumping shortcuts.

Tomb of the Giants was a complete hassle. It's not horrible if you take it very, very slowly - but it's really tough if you go at a normal pace.

If you go very slowly, it's possible to see many of the enemies before they see you. I found it a bit immersion breaking to be able to creep up on the undead beast skeletons and see them with my light, and have them not react until I walk forward just another step. I guess it would be too hard if their aggro range radius was increased to prevent that.

New mod:
ku-xlarge.gif

http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/395//?

LOL

Tomb of Giants is kicking my butt right now. I can't even make it to the first bonfire. This comes from me being voerconfident against the giant skeletons and also whenever they gang up on me I either get knocked off an edge or smashed to the ground.

If you don't have a light, the area before the first bonfire can be tricky with the coffin slides and figuring out where to go.. The rest of the level after the first bonfire isn't so bad.

If you can find the second bonfire (it's a little trickier), making a run at the boss area is MUCH easier. The boss of that area is a complete bastard, so finding that second bonfire helps a lot.

Nito is a breeze if you can keep away from the skeletons. Especially with leveled pyromancy.

Yeah I thought he was pretty weak. Him and the catacombs boss were by far the easiest in the game for me. Beat them both the first try.

On Nito, I think I was about sl 75-80. I just brute force melee'd him.

Guess I'm the oddball that got mauled by him. Seems like I had no issues with the bosses most people hated (Four Kings, Capra Demon) but struggled with Nito and the Bed of Chaos.

Guess I'm the oddball that got mauled by him. Seems like I had no issues with the bosses most people hated (Four Kings, Capra Demon) but struggled with Nito and the Bed of Chaos.

I think everyone died at least once with Bed of Chaos...I know I died like 10 times trying to figure it out.

Nito on the other hand is a complete hit or miss boss. Sometimes he will literally sit there and do nothing....Other times he will be ready for rape. One time I dropped down and almost as soon as I landed got speared in the colon and then a constant bombardment of skeletons, Ground Spears, and black death attack...brutal.

Nito gets quite hard as you get into higher NG+'s. I stopped playing at NG+++++++ and he 2 shots me if I don't block.

That's an awesome thing about the game. There is quite a bit of variety in strategy that allows some people and some builds do do really well where others do not.

Got in my first first ever PvP fight in the catacombs. I'm a straight up bandit using my +10 battle ax, he was some kind of melee using a fire sword and poison darts, or throwing knives. I only got one or two good hits on him. I was poisoned so my health kept draining. Finally I decided my only chance was to parry him, but I missed it and that was the end. It was an okay fight, I mean I didn't die immediately, lol. And it was a fair fight, neither of us was using cheats if there are any in this game. There wasn't any lag that I could notice either. When you die I thought the victor got all your souls, but when I went back to recover all mine were there.

you wont lose souls, but some covenants will steal whatever humanity you were holding.
had that happen to me once. what an asshole... :p

I recently created a new dex character for PvP...much better then my previous strength based one...lots of ass kicking now...also joined the Darkwraith +2 covenant to gain access to the Red Eye Orb for unlimited invasions

I recently created a new dex character for PvP...much better then my previous strength based one...lots of ass kicking now...also joined the Darkwraith +2 covenant to gain access to the Red Eye Orb for unlimited invasions

My favorite for pvp is dex/int. Obviously some vitality and endurance is needed, but raw dex and int gets you good scaling with some nice pvp items.

My favorite for pvp is dex/int. Obviously some vitality and endurance is needed, but raw dex and int gets you good scaling with some nice pvp items.

yup that's pretty much what I'm doing as well...I'm not leveling up Strength at all past what I need to wield certain early game weapons...I plan on maxing out my Dex at 40 for max scaling instead of using any of the raw/fire/lightning weapons...I think base weapons at max are much better then enchanted ones...I'm loving the Great Scythe +15...absolute beast...also using the Laito (currently at +10) as my back up

I have no interest in pvp. you don't lose your soft humanity (the number in the circle), you lose your current human state and go hollow. note though, if you are AFK they can use darkglove to steal your soft humanity, but this is not normal.

I have no interest in pvp. you don't lose your soft humanity (the number in the circle), you lose your current human state and go hollow. note though, if you are AFK they can use darkglove to steal your soft humanity, but this is not normal.

if you're the invader you don't lose your current human state or even your soft humanity if you lose the fight (meaning you can go back to your bloodstain and retrieve it)...you just return to your world...I found that to be strange...there's literally no penalty for losing (at least when I use the Red Orb)...the dark glove humanity-stealing move never works on me as you can see the move coming and easily dodge it

as far as pvp in general, I also wasn't into it too much during my initial playthrough but in NG+ and new character creation it's tons of fun and pretty much the only real excitement from continuing to play the game...the game was too easy once you hit NG+ and beyond as you know the complete map layout and boss strategies (yes I still die but it's mostly because of laziness and being careless with enemies and wanting to get through certain areas as fast as possible)

Gave up on Tomb of the Giants for now and went to the Duke's Archives instead. Just got to the part where I was captured by Seath. Here's hoping those snake guards are as easy as they were in Sen's Fortress.

Is there a helmet that gives off light? It would be great if I didn't have to give up my shield when I go back to the Tomb.

Is there a helmet that gives off light? It would be great if I didn't have to give up my shield when I go back to the Tomb.

Sunlight Maggot helmet...I got mine at Lost Izalith in the area where you fight Knight Solaire (right before the Demon Titanite on that bridge)...I think you have to kill all those small bugs in the room...one of them drops the Sunlight Maggot helmet

Gave up on Tomb of the Giants for now and went to the Duke's Archives instead. Just got to the part where I was captured by Seath. Here's hoping those snake guards are as easy as they were in Sen's Fortress.

The Tomb of the Giants was honestly the most frustrating area of the game for me. 100x worse than blightown. Once you work your way down through pitch black, you'll run into the most OP enemy in the game.

As was stated before, sunlight maggot helm gives off light and will become your very best friend.

My first time through Sen's Fortress literally took me 5 hours...That last swinging ax part just kept knocking me down.

But now that Sen's is easy for my my roughest area is New Londo Ruins. For what ever reason those Ghost Kill me so much more than they should.

My first time through Sen's Fortress literally took me 5 hours...That last swinging ax part just kept knocking me down.

But now that Sen's is easy for my my roughest area is New Londo Ruins. For what ever reason those Ghost Kill me so much more than they should.

Me too. Only when I wear upgraded giant armour do the ghosts not kill me. Sen's is very easy now, but I also struggled the first time for several hours.

those ghosts have ridiculous reach...I always use my Great Scythe or another spear type of weapon which has a long reach to take them out without getting too close

Balder Side Sword stab attack works well against them, too. I always carry enough curse to be able to fight them on equal terms.

I just resort to Moonlight Sword blast attack. Never get close to them because as soon as I do I get surrounded and die.

Still its the part of the game I regularly die at unless I play super cautiously.

With the ghosts (and almost everything else), I had pretty good luck going with the Man-Serpent Greatsword. Heavy swing followed by 1-2 normal attacks. The big swing seems to stun them enough to keep them from attacking, and then the quicker swings would kill them off. Since they appear in predictable places, you can usually kill them quickly after they form.
There are a couple places where they can surround you, but the wider swinging normal attacks can take out several at once.
If you have the covetous ring, they drop the transient curse item in pairs pretty regularly.

I'm using the Balder Side sword and the only time I ever had trouble with ghosts was when they would gang up on me. I found it pretty easy to lure them and they telegraph their attacks so much that I could avoid them.

When they try to do their reach attack to grab you just run into close range and kill them. I'm a DEX build and with 40 DEX and a Balder Side Sword +10 I was able to 1 shot them with the lunge attack.

yeah all the people I play with are always confused when I clear all area's with no difficulty and yet die at the ghost all the time....I just can't fight them well...Balder side sword is awesome but even that got me killed if I wasn't careful.

Just found the 2nd Bonfire in the Duke's ARchives and traversed the white light to that courtyard area. Not sure what to expect out there, but I'm expecting bad things.

Also splurged and used all of the soul items I had collected and bought up a few more levels- added a 3rd attunement slot for Pyromancy and upping my Endurance. From the character planner I know I'll eventually be able to have high mobility with my chosen armor.

There is no problem a Zwenheinder cannot solve.

Just found the 2nd Bonfire in the Duke's ARchives and traversed the white light to that courtyard area. Not sure what to expect out there, but I'm expecting bad things.

I won't spoil you, but the footing where you're heading is the trickiest part. I died there a LOT because I was impatient. Look at the screen very carefully before you start moving around.
Luckily the boss isn't too bad. Put on the best armor you have and just go to town.

Back