Dark Souls is on Steam

Capra demon is surprisingly easy if you can handle the tight space. Most people zone into his room and freak the hell out. Keep moving!

He had me on farm status when the game first came out and I started with the thief class and leveled my stats and equipment to keep with the theme of the class. Going up against Capra Demon with a butter knife and leather rags is asking to be owned. I also made a knight and one shot him with that character since the 100% block shields and stability from the plate armor makes that fight super easy.

He had me on farm status when the game first came out and I started with the thief class and leveled my stats and equipment to keep with the theme of the class. Going up against Capra Demon with a butter knife and leather rags is asking to be owned. I also made a knight and one shot him with that character since the 100% block shields and stability from the plate armor makes that fight super easy.

Yea, you do have to be able to dish out some damage for that fight not to be frustrating. Luckily, you can always come back to it if you're not ready.

I'd say the difficulty has been exaggerated. It's by no means an "easy" game, but the perceived difficulty comes from the fact that it does not hold your hand at all and requires you to have patience and use your wits

or...requires you to use a walkthrough!

so.... I read a review of one of these games. it talked about the intense difficulty, how when you die you have to restart and get back to the place you died to get your stuff... how does that work?

so.... I read a review of one of these games. it talked about the intense difficulty, how when you die you have to restart and get back to the place you died to get your stuff... how does that work?

You repawn at the last bonfire you touched. The only "stuff" you lose when you die is souls. If you've become human, you'll lose the humanity as well. The souls can be recovered unless you die again while trying to recover them. No items are dropped when you die. Souls are used to level up attributes, buy items/spells, and used in conjunction with certain types of shards to upgrade gear. Getting killed will respawn most enemies in the level.

Usually if you're entering a new and scary area, a boss battle or whatever, you'd use most of your available souls to level up and upgrade your gear first, so as not to lose them. Souls are also dropped in item form, which are not "consumed" until you use the item. You keep these until you need the extra souls.

I’ve never played it – but have pulled the trigger based upon what multiple friends have told me.

Exactly how does the gameplay work? Is it more precision based like Ninja Gaiden/Devil May Cry or is it mostly stats-based? Anything else like it (gamplay-wise) on the market?

I’ve never played it – but have pulled the trigger based upon what multiple friends have told me.

Exactly how does the gameplay work? Is it more precision based like Ninja Gaiden/Devil May Cry or is it mostly stats-based? Anything else like it (gamplay-wise) on the market?

Only game I know of you can compare it to is King's Field. Which is made by From Software also.

Combat is much slower than Ninja Gaiden/DMC/God of War. I would dare say it's the most realistic hack n'slash game I've played. You swing that nice heavy long sword, it’s going to take time to recover, time the enemy will use against you.

Capra Demon!!! He had me on farm status for a few nights.

Not sure if I'll be picking up the PC version since I've already played the hell out of it on my PS3 and it just feels like a game that's meant to be played with a controller while chilling on the couch. I'd imagine the whole blocking/parrying/rolling/attacking controls just feel a lot more natural using the bumpers on the dual shock than a keyboard. Still the best game I've played in the last decade.

I'm about to get started on Dragon's Dogma for some more 3rd person action-rpg goodness.

Maybe I was just lucky because for everyone that was talking about the capra demon, I breezed through him so easily.

I was playing as a lighter armor/fast weapon guy though so I could dodge easily.

To me it's much easier to play that type of character in Dark souls, especially when you get a good spear, like the demon spear with the lightning dmg.

Maybe I was just lucky because for everyone that was talking about the capra demon, I breezed through him so easily.

I was playing as a lighter armor/fast weapon guy though so I could dodge easily.

To me it's much easier to play that type of character in Dark souls, especially when you get a good spear, like the demon spear with the lightning dmg.

Yeah, capra demon's aren't that bad...it was just the two dogs with him and the enclosed space that suprised a lot of people. Outside of his room was always a good place to drop a sign if you wanted to do some coop though.

I've decided to get the game now after reading this thread and reading the following article which explains the difficulty curve in a good way...

"the game’s difficulty isn’t about punishing the player’s mistakes, even though it can feel like that at times. Dark Souls wants to teach you and while that may sometimes involve liberal application of the cane or more capital forms of corporal punishment, its intentions are good. At root, its design is the antithesis of any game that rewards continued effort by making the character more powerful without giving any thought as to whether the player has become more skilful

Dark Souls does have levelling but it’s not simply a reward for time spent, it’s a reward for time spent well"

the article also makes a good point regarding the port to PC...

"the PC version has all the problems of the console version. It’s not that the game has somehow become worse in translation, it’s that the power of the PC hasn’t been used to make it any better"

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/09/hands-on-dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition/

looks like the game unlocks on Thursday at 6:00 PM EST (Steam time) for those in North America...a bit earlier then I was expecting

Doesn't look too bad. I'm having fun with Darksiders 2, so it'll be fun to go back and forth with both games.

Doesn't look too bad. I'm having fun with Darksiders 2, so it'll be fun to go back and forth with both games.

Good luck with that. Dark Souls isn't a game I would want to juggle back-n-forth on but that's just me.

Can you guys post some feedback on blight town when you get there? The frame rate on the ps3 killed the game for me. I wouldn't mind rebuying it on the pc if I could at least get smoother frame rates and faster load times (I don't care about graphical improvements).

Sure. I plan on doing a little review once I spend some time with it. I'll post some raw screenshots on imgur as well. I know some people are concerned about the graphics.

I'm going to start the game with kb/m, since it will be fully mappable. If I feel the need to switch to controller, I will let you know.

Can you guys post some feedback on blight town when you get there? The frame rate on the ps3 killed the game for me. I wouldn't mind rebuying it on the pc if I could at least get smoother frame rates and faster load times (I don't care about graphical improvements).

I played on 360 and Blight Town was bad for me. There was a patch that helped but very little. I finally chugged pass that section but it made it more frustrating.

PC Gamer UK already published their review and gave it an 89%. Apparently it runs really smooth (as in, consistent 30), is quite stable, has much faster loading times and there aren't any obvious gamebreaking bugs.

Resolution already fixed by a guy on NeoGaf. Said it took him 23 minutes lol. He's working on a release (will be a config file) that should be ready in a few hours.

Resolution already fixed by a guy on NeoGaf. Said it took him 23 minutes lol. He's working on a release (will be a config file) that should be ready in a few hours.

It's not just a config file edit.
The config is what he wants to provide when he releases the fix.

He said it's similar to the fxaa injectors that people use.

Last edited:
Wait, I thought the game itself supported higher resolutions (IE 1080) it was simply the textures that were locked at 720? You mean the actual resolution of the game is locked to 720?

Wait, I thought the game itself supported higher resolutions (IE 1080) it was simply the textures that were locked at 720? You mean the actual resolution of the game is locked to 720?

The game is rendered at 720 and upscaled to the resolution you set. The hack is to make it render at the final resolution, which should make it a lot sharper.

what the hell?...they changed the time of release...the timer previously said it would unlock in 3 hours but now it's been changed to 12 hours...what happened?

oh that blows. I'm standing by to hear reviews of the PC fluidity!

I'm going into it expecting a straight up port...but I want to experience the game regardless as I hear it's fabulous...plus we get the DLC (which the consoles won't get for a few more months) included for the very reasonable price of $39.99

Constant 30fps (locked) with zero dips on medium hardware is what I hear, even with the upcoming modded config resolution render fix.

I'm more concerned with any imposed mouse acceleration, and the configuration of the controls.

As a reference, i played and LOVED AC: 2 on the xbox, then tried my brother's version of Brotherhood on PC and the controls made me not even finish the tutorial.

I'm sorry, but i use shift to run, not hold down right trigger and hit some other nonsense to begin running.

I wonder if they can make it render at 60fps... I'd take 720p at 60, over 1440p a t t h ir t y ffffra mm es p. e r se cccccc on d. .. especially with low res texture. (though I seem to remember that apparently "isn't possible". :() :D

I wonder if they can make it render at 60fps... I'd take 720p at 60, over 1440p a t t h ir t y ffffra mm es p. e r se cccccc on d. .. especially with low res texture. (though I seem to remember that apparently "isn't possible". :() :D

Someone found the fps lock and when you raise the cap it makes the game play faster. So basically you'll have to play it at 30fps. Which honestly is not a big deal, you don't need a high fps to play this game, a smooth and stable framerate is much more important. I played through it on my PS3 and bought it again for the PC just for that alone.

Back