DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

It is the PH-TC12LS, I have one too.
it fits in the case without any problems.

I am gonna test this one too but I had to wait for a replacement GPU since mine developed a horrible coil whine (I started testing all the heatsinks I bought). Currently I am sick though but I am gonna retest the old ones (I now have the reliding tool I waited for) and test the remaining ones as soon as I am better.
I'm sorry to hear that. I feel your pain, though; I get sick all the time. Hope you feel better soon, and I'm looking forward to more data!

No, because no need to use it.
What do you mean with this question?
How would I know if the service these people provide is legitimate? How would I know if they create decent products because I have never heard of anyone using them.

How would I know if the service these people provide is legitimate? How would I know if they create decent products because I have never heard of anyone using them.

Well, it might be worth a try for someone with some cash laying around :D
Needless to say, it could be a potential outlet for Dondan to work with... I would order a couple of samples if I were him.

Well, it might be worth a try for someone with some cash laying around :D
Needless to say, it could be a potential outlet for Dondan to work with... I would order a couple of samples if I were him.
That's the problem with this option. The main reason we opt for Dondan is because we have a foundation to trust the reliability of his stuff and the fact that because he is doing a large release he will have time/money to run tests that I cannot afford on my own. As you said I can only see that link helping Dondan.

All of you guys are correct, but let me pose something hypothetical.

What if this company really can make something close to what we need? If Dondan had a kickstarter for enough to cover the cost of a couple samples; say, $500, I would happily donate $20 to it. Maybe it turns out to be exactly what we need, and he can just post the specs of the heatsink we should all order from them.

That's the problem with this option. The main reason we opt for Dondan is because we have a foundation to trust the reliability of his stuff and the fact that because he is doing a large release he will have time/money to run tests that I cannot afford on my own. As you said I can only see that link helping Dondan.

If you have some cash surplus and you want the best, you could get both Dondan's product and that one, and compare ;)
Of course, very few people would do that if any...

V2 will support watercooling from my understanding. Is there much point in producing this unit knowing it will be obsolete soon?

Considering the fact that A4-SFX v1 campaign was around same time last year as campaign for v2 is going to happen, and it was delivered in February this year, handling such small production of coolers at full-fledged manufacturer might take same amount of time as well.

While I agree that there's some kind of niche for this cooler because of Sentry and A4-SFX v1, waiting for it after the crowdfunding might mean it'll be really too late for people owning v1 and the backers of v2 may be more interested in water cooling than full-length GPU. Obviously that's IF v2 will have water cooling support.

Reactions: Rysen
like this
V2 will support watercooling from my understanding. Is there much point in producing this unit knowing it will be obsolete soon?

heatpipes are superior to water cooling because they take less space and cost less money. you can try water cooling if you want (if you can find a system that fits), but it has nothing to do with this thread

heatpipes are superior to water cooling because they take less space and cost less money. you can try water cooling if you want (if you can find a system that fits), but it has nothing to do with this thread

Space and cost efficiency doesn't make something superior on all terms.

Performance-wise water cooling will win as water takes more time to heat up and cool down therefore the temperature will be more stable during clock ramping up and falling down so the fan speed will also be stable according to temperature curve.

More space here also means more capacity, and because of this water cooling is comparable to huge tower coolers which you simply cannot fit in such sff chassis.

Also a custom heatpipe cooler may be more expensive than off-shelf AIO water cooler.

The only thing against the water cooling here is the fact that it will most likely limit card size to ITX units like 1070 Mini.

Space and cost efficiency doesn't make something superior on all terms.

Performance-wise water cooling will win as water takes more time to heat up and cool down therefore the temperature will be more stable during clock ramping up and falling down so the fan speed will also be stable according to temperature curve.

More space here also means more capacity, and because of this water cooling is comparable to huge tower coolers which you simply cannot fit in such sff chassis.

Also a custom heatpipe cooler may be more expensive than off-shelf AIO water cooler.

The only thing against the water cooling here is the fact that it will most likely limit card size to ITX units like 1070 Mini.
While I totally see the merits of the points you're making... Given the choice, I would much rather have a slightly less effective / more expensive cooler on my CPU, in trade for a significantly better / overall cooler solution on my GPU. That's a trade I'd make no matter the circumstance; a slightly lower overclock is almost always worth a quieter, cooler system, to me.

Water cooling is still not the most optimal choice for something mobile. Higher risk of things going wrong if you are moving a water cooler around all the time. With air cooling you will never have any risk of leaking making it optimal for mobile cases.

Water cooling is still not the most optimal choice for something mobile. Higher risk of things going wrong if you are moving a water cooler around all the time. With air cooling you will never have any risk of leaking making it optimal for mobile cases.

I forgot about this one - although I have been travelling with my sentry having AIO installed, I still have no idea how would this work if I were to go on board with such PC on plane.

As for leaking - AIOs with thick protective tubing are made to prevent leaking and they are somehow delivered by couriers to your home. I believe that it would be only risky if you were to use one with slim hoses that are't so protective and let them loose inside the case and those might slowly be scratched by metal edges simply by moving against them.

I assume this will cool better with the fan blowing on the heatsink, rather than away from it. Would a plastic duct (for venting outside the case) help performance? Is the heatsink tall enough that it doesn't need a duct, because it almost touches the case door?
That's what I'm saying, the heatsikn needs a duct to ensure that the hot air goes out of the case and to increase air pressure. It is proven that a duct lowers the temps. Let's see if Dan incorporates the concept.(I already sent some sketches a few pages behind)

Yes I am still working on it.

pedrofan bAMtan2 I think at first we need a prototype if I have it I will play with that duct topic.

It's certainly not something you need to worry about now - if it doesn't come with a duct, those of us so inclined can make one. Anecdotal evidence using a lower cooler like the L9i or LP53 have shown that it makes a good 3-5c difference; I'd be curious to see if it does on this cooler or if it'll be optimized to the 48mm height and wouldn't do squat.. (Though the duct might make for a good bit of marketing and interest from reviewers. Particularly if it had a way to mount a 3-d printed extension to customize it to your case. I could see a number of the tech youtubers going wild over that, silly as it is...)

Big Update:

I got a quote from CoolJag USA that is on a price level I can work with. The quote includes the following:

Quote CoolJag 1
- Custom FAN
- Copper CPU base
- copper Heatpipes
- Aluminum fins
- retention for 115x, AM4 and 2011-3 narrow ILM
- The expected KS price will be 60€ incl. 19% German VAT (so for international customers subtract 19% and add your location VAT)

CoolJag don't give me a quote for full copper because they mentioned the weight will be too high so the heatpipes can hold the fin area. But I can test it on my own risk.

I also asked Lian Li if they can help me out and they searched for a factory. They found the factory that made the heatsinks for CoolJag and Thermalright. (It is the same)
So it looks like CoolJag and Thermalright don't have a own factory. Lian Li give me two quotes:

Quote Lian Li 1
- No fan
- Copper CPU base
- Copper Heatpipes
- Aluminum fins
- Retention for 115x, AM4 and 2011-3 narrow ILM
- The expected KS price will be 50€ incl. 19% German VAT (so for international customers subtract 19% and add your location VAT)

Quote Lian Li 2
- No fan
- Copper CPU base
- Copper Heatpipes
- Copper fins
- The expected KS price will be 70€ incl. 19% German VAT (so for international customers subtract 19% and add your location VAT)

I think I will go without a included fan because I don't have the knowhow to develop a fan, so I can't be sure that the fan is on the same premium level like the heatsink.
The philosophy of DAN Cases is to offer perfect products this is why I will not offer it with a fan.

I second the majority opinion here - full copper, no fan sounds absolutely perfect. I imagine a lot of us would have replaced the fans just to see, anyways. ;)

Honestly, I'm amazed at the kickstarter price - that's probably going to translate to about $90 USD shipped outside of VAT-applicable areas, which, let's be honest, is totally reasonable for a super premium SFF heatsink like this.

So Lian Li doesn't have the same concerns about the weight of copper fins that CoolJag does, huh? Is this just something that you'll order a prototype of to test and see if it needs reinforcement?

Not to piss in your cornflakes or anything. But wouldn't it have been better (from a part-sourcing aspect) to have simply gone to either a stock 92mm or 120mm fan? Rather than custom-fabbing an essentially irreplaceable 100mm fan.

Big Update:

I got a quote from CoolJag USA that is on a price level I can work with. The quote includes the following:

Quote CoolJag 1
- Custom FAN
- Copper CPU base
- copper Heatpipes
- Aluminum fins
- The expected KS price will be 60€ incl. 19% German VAT (so for international customers subtract 19% and add your location VAT)

CoolJag don't give me a quote for full copper because they mentioned the weight will be too high so the heatpipes can hold the fin area. But I can test it on my own risk.

I also asked Lian Li if they can help me out and they searched for a factory. They found the factory that made the heatsinks for CoolJag and Thermalright. (It is the same)
So it looks like CoolJag and Thermalright don't have a own factory. Lian Li give me two quotes:

Quote Lian Li 1
- No fan
- Copper CPU base
- Copper Heatpipes
- Aluminum fins
- The expected KS price will be 50€ incl. 19% German VAT (so for international customers subtract 19% and add your location VAT)

Quote Lian Li 2
- No fan
- Copper CPU base
- Copper Heatpipes
- Copper fins
- The expected KS price will be 70€ incl. 19% German VAT (so for international customers subtract 19% and add your location VAT)

I think I will go without a included fan because I don't have the knowhow to develop a fan, so I can't be sure that the fan is on the same premium level like the heatsink.
The philosophy of DAN Cases is to offer perfect products this is why I will not offer it with a fan.

Really nice to see this good Quotes and that we could se prototypes maybe soon ??

And test on this prototypes

Going to go against the grain and suggest acquiring samples of both Lian Li units and testing them against the current aftermarket solutions. If there is no significant difference between your custom cooler and the best existing solutions, scrap the project or redesign. If the custom cooler is better but there's no significant difference between aluminum and copper, go for the cheaper option.

But... that's the engineer on a budget talking. It's all about copper. :)

Not to piss in your cornflakes or anything. But wouldn't it have been better (from a part-sourcing aspect) to have simply gone to either a stock 92mm or 120mm fan? Rather than custom-fabbing an essentially irreplaceable 100mm fan.

Wait, huh? Where are you even getting that from?

Going to go against the grain and suggest acquiring samples of both Lian Li units and testing them against the current aftermarket solutions. If there is no significant difference between your custom cooler and the best existing solutions, scrap the project or redesign. If the custom cooler is better but there's no significant difference between aluminum and copper, go for the cheaper option.

But... that's the engineer on a budget talking. It's all about copper. :)

The lp53 from Thermolab is already a good solution. It's 100% copper. I can attest its worth the price. However it needs a new fan and mounting mechanism for the fan. Also the mounting to the motherboard could be refined a bit. It is also not compatible with Am4. So if Dan could come up with a proper 100% copper cooler with a user replaceable fan and better mounting I'd buy it instantly. Otherwise I agree. Current solutions are good enough if the above can't be addressed with full copper.

Big Update:

Quote CoolJag 1
- Custom FAN
- Copper CPU base
- copper Heatpipes
- Aluminum fins

Quote Lian Li 1
- No fan
- Copper CPU base
- Copper Heatpipes
- Aluminum fins

Quote Lian Li 2
- No fan
- Copper CPU base
- Copper Heatpipes
- Copper fins

This is a good update. I would be sad to screw cooljag and go over their heads. ;) You should do what is best for you.

The copper fins will almost certainly not be worth the extra cost, including shipping WEIGHT cost. But if you can test both materials, these results will be interesting to see!

If you do not include a fan, you need to do some work to choose reference fans, and then test your design to work with them, so people know exactly which fans to buy.

Back