DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by dondan, Feb 21, 2017.

1. danger

danger [H]Lite

Soul_Est, bAMtan2, ZombiPL and 3 others like this.
  2. AlbinoWolf

AlbinoWolf n00b

Still doesnt guarantee that it ll be sub-48mm, so we ll see...

also "hopefully" is pretty vague.

3. danger

danger [H]Lite

They already have the L9x65 - if they weren't going lower than that, I don't see why they wouldn't have just suggested that. "Hopefully" is only vague in terms of timeline, not eventuality.

4. Rysen

Rysen Limp Gawd

"Working on it" is as solid as possible for an answer. It might not be out soon but it exists.

5. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

Here is a picture of the CoolJag based version:

[​IMG]
    (Click for 5K Version)

Soul_Est, Talyrius, bAMtan2 and 12 others like this.
  6. okwchin

okwchin Limp Gawd

Looking pretty with direct touch heatpipes too :) . Are the fin spacing bends necessary for the middle of the heatsink? And can the outer ones be placed on the outer edge in the unlikely event that we end up using a 120mm larger fan?

Just wondering as there might be a good manufacturing reason or design behind those.

7. Ca11idus

Ca11idus Limp Gawd

Is that the thermalright ty-100 fan?

8. marsavela

marsavela n00b

This is looking pretty awesome... Keep up the good work.

9. pedrofan

pedrofan n00b

Hi Dan,

I've detected some posibble flaws in the design and I have some suggestions to make the HSLP-48 perfectly adapted to A4-SFX and more efficient:

In this type of heatsinks the fan is used to be placed on top of the heatsink, covering the whole top of it, ensuring the air pressure to pass throught the fins.

In this design there is a smaller than the sink fan below of it, so a big part of the air will go up, crash on the cover and return to the case through the open sides.

If it isn't possible to use a bigger fan that covers all the fins and also covering the sides with an end plate (like the falcon but inversed),
    it is needed to force all the air out of the case. So I propose to cover and seal all the gaps to make a high pressure chamber or wind tunnel, to force the air out of the case (something like the gpu or notebook heatsinks)

Here you have the changes in the bottom side:

https://preview.************/kJVHiv/key_nexus_1200ailp0.jpg

On top of it, its needed a perimetral rubber to seal the high-pressure chamber and force the air out, and it can reduce noise vibration also, if it gets in contact with the case.
    (a perimetral copper plate may be required to sit it, maybe the end of the fins can be bent):

https://preview.************/ny2V3v/key2_104qvkpl.jpg

All of the parts can be made out of plastic, aluminum, or the same copper which may be cool (if you want to maintain the fancy look)

The principle is the same as this video

Hope to help a little.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    richiegore, bAMtan2 and JackGLemmon like this.
  10. Julio Espinosa

Julio Espinosa [H]Lite

Dondan: I was thinking!
    What if.... You make an AIO so thin, but large that could use all the side panel!
    In fact, you could make the radiator BE the side panel! (like this Corsair PC)
    And you could sell it like an accessory that I would obviously buy.

11. StrawKite

StrawKite Limp Gawd

There would be no way to mount it to the sidepanel, but I like the idea.

12. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

Here is a preview for the socket rentention kits. Keep in mind that the screw driver hole on the top surface is missing.

[​IMG]

13. okwchin

okwchin Limp Gawd

Its looking like a real heatsink now!

Intrigued about the installation order for the heatsink. Seems similar to the noctua type with two metal bars that are fixed to the motherboard, and then two screws are used to connect the heatsink onto the mounting bars. Will there be holes in the fins to allow access to the two screws? Or maybe theres more to the design :)

14. Vlad502

Vlad502 [H]Lite

What about coating on copper? If price allow it, of course.
    Like this on Enermax T50 Axe:
    I think is graphene, but maybe is something else.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Woxys likes this.
  15. Rysen

Rysen Limp Gawd

Dondan has already been complaining about how the price of the heatsink is too high as it is so I highly doubt that the coating will make it any cheaper...

16. pedrofan

pedrofan n00b

You should avoid aluminum in the base, as it corrodes in contact with liquid metal pastes. The base should be fully copper

17. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

So the work on my heatsink from my side is nearly done. I don't have any specification on AM4 socket. I think I have to contact AMD for more details.

Here is a preview on 2011-3 Narrow ILM

[​IMG]

18. Jonas Mellkvist

Jonas Mellkvist Limp Gawd

Nice to see it´s done from your side.

Got any prices from CoolJag ??

Thought about the demands from Thermalright about atleast 2000 Coolers to get the price you want.

So you drop it because it wasnt possible to proceed

19. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

I never got a new price from Thermalright. The last message from them (the German middleman) was 10 days ago. I am still waiting but I think it will be impossible working on a project like this with them with such a delay in communication.

From CoolJag I get 1-2 mails every day. I can feel that they are interested in this project. I think I will get a price this week.

Edit:
    This evening I send an e-mail to the German middleman company that forwards my messages to Thermalright, that I am not longer interested in acooperation with them, because a project like this can't work without communication.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    bAMtan2, Petroj, dPunish3r and 8 others like this.
  20. Blackreplica

Blackreplica Limp Gawd

I think from an ethical perspective, you absolutely did the right thing. Being in your shoes I would also unquestionably go with Cooljag.

Philfreeze likes this.
  21. kingtron

kingtron Limp Gawd

dondan does the final design includes the ability to attach 120x120x12mm fan like the scythe SY1212SL12H-P (the 4-pin PWM version that comes with the BIG Shuriken 2) ? because they sell it alone if someone email them.
    it will prevent the removal of the large Northbridge and Mosfets big heat-sinks in some motherboards.
    By the way VLP Ram is a must with 120mm fans. (12mm or 15mm)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  22. Diverge

Diverge Gawd

Out of curiosity is there still room for a 20mm thick fan, if motherboard permits it, just like the Nexus LOW-7000 R2?

23. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

It is nearly a Nexus. The fins on the Nexus have a height of 16,5mm and on the HSLP- 48 18,5mm. Free space is 19mm but I think a 20mm fan will fit if you bend the heatsink a little, but I don't think you will find a low profile ram that fit under it.

24. kingtron

kingtron Limp Gawd

So there will be all kind of clips and clip holes for all fan sizes 92mm and 120mm (12-15mm thikness) , and the ability to shift the fan a littile in all directions.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  25. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

There are clip holes to support 92-120mm fans with a thickness of 12-16mm. And yes you will be able to shift the fan. For some boards it will be possible to use a 120mm without the need of lp ram.

kingtron likes this.
  26. Jonas Mellkvist

Jonas Mellkvist Limp Gawd

Nice to hear.

Do you think its far away with the Kickstarter ??

27. Rysen

Rysen Limp Gawd

Can't wait for the test samples to be built!

28. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

At first I need prices. If the prices will be ok I will order a prototype. I think this can take 1-3 month. Then I will test it with a Ryzen 1700X, 7700K and 5820K and share all results with you. If the results are in the expected range then I will take photos, make a user manual, update my website and design the Kickstarter campaign.

So we have three requirements that can make this project fail: price, profit and temp results.

For the business benefit point of view I will have a very bad hourly wage on it. So if I can earn $10 (before duty) on each heatsink on an aimed Kickstarter price of under $70 I will do it. So it will be more a present to the community and A4-SFX owners as a big business deal.

I aiming a campaign in Q4 2017 - Q1-2018.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  29. Julio Espinosa

Julio Espinosa [H]Lite

Have you think about the guys at Calyos to make the cooler? (at kickstarter too)
    With their tecnology and a fan, maybe it could be possible (and maybe smaller)

30. Rysen

Rysen Limp Gawd

Their fanless solutions work with large and heavy heatsinks, the size of the case. They have no small and light solutions and they rely on building their own cases so non of the technologies they currently have are efficient with cases built for aircooling. That is why you can see that most of their solutions involved their own custom built case and they are pretty heavy which defeats the purpose of a small portable case.

Soul_Est and Vlad502 like this.
  31. Julio Espinosa

Julio Espinosa [H]Lite

They develop Loop Heat Pipe Cooling Solutions without fans.
    If Dondan adds a fan, he could make a small system.

32. Jann5s

Jann5s [H]Lite

The way I understood it, is that the "loop heat pipe" is only more efficient over long distances. For short distances the normal capillary pipes outperform loop pipes. In the HSLP-48 there is no need for long distance pipes.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Rysen likes this.
  33. Vlad502

Vlad502 [H]Lite

Soul_Est and Julio Espinosa like this.
  34. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

I am not interested in the Calyos solution and I think they have currently enough todo with their Kickstarter campaign.

35. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

36. XstreamHard

XstreamHard n00b

You should consider making the mounting kit and the CPU contact plate as aerodynamic and thin as possible so the airflow to the fan is maximized.

37. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

If you have a idea how to make it more aerodynamic please let me know.

bAMtan2 likes this.
  38. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

If somebody of you have already a AM4 socket board please help me, because I need two dimension:

• Height from motherboard pcb to topside of CPU
    • hole pattern of the backplate (M3 or M4)?

Soul_Est, Philfreeze and bAMtan2 like this.
  39. StrawKite

StrawKite Limp Gawd