DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

Do you mean this version? ;)

v1.14376zma.jpg
YESSSSSS!!

When will the cooler be released and available for purchase?
It won't be for a while. Dondan ordered 4 test units from cooljag and lian li (a full copper and a alu fin version from each company) and tested them out. He ran some tests and found that the performance wasn't quite where he wanted it to be so he is in the process of finishing up the new design with more heatpipes. Once the design is finished he will request new units for testing. If the new batch is satisfactory he will let us know. From there he needs too coordinate a kickstarter and schedule the production run with the company. It will be a while before it is ready. A month or so would be really optimistic but realistically it should be more in the lines of 2-4 months.

You can't rush these things. The A4 was in development for years before the first batch was released. Dondan wants to make sure that he releases a good product not only for the customers but to keep his brand name looking good so that he can continue his amazing work.

Here is a small update:

I don't ordered the 6 heatpipe design because it need some more detail work. I changed the fin design a bit so it doesn't look like a Noctua copy. Furthermore I am working on the retention kit to get a save pressure and a more confortable way to mount the heatsink:

v1.6hwosr.jpg

dondan I hadn't noticed that the fan brackets had indents to keep the fan in place. That is an excellent idea. Will the final version include a kit for 120 and 92mm or will that be something that will be sold separately?

dondan I hadn't noticed that the fan brackets had indents to keep the fan in place. That is an excellent idea. Will the final version include a kit for 120 and 92mm or will that be something that will be sold separately?

A quick search of this thread would have provided you with the answers you seek:
There are clip holes to support 92-120mm fans with a thickness of 12-16mm. And yes you will be able to shift the fan. For some boards it will be possible to use a 120mm without the need of lp ram.
Fan clips are included.
I have to improve the fan clips because the two ends that go inside the heatsink are very short. I have to make them longer to better secure the fan. I also plan to add more holes for the clips to better support different thickness of fans.
I will focus on fans with a thickness of 12mm and 15mm.
I reduced the fin count from 60 to 59 for easier clip mounting with a 120mm fan.
On the rednerings I used a 120x120x15mm Silverstone fan. I also made some changes to the fan clip mount holes. Now we have holes on the outside for 120mm fans with a thickness of 15mm.
The inner mount holes are for 15, 14 and 12mm fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jspr
like this
I need your help. I send my 115x board back to my reseller but I need the diameter in mm of the mountingholes for the CPU heatsink. Cas someone meassure it?

I have the thermal design guide too. It descibes the diameter with 4mm but i think this is not true. On my thermalright retention kit there is a washer that has a smaller ring on it with a diameter of 5.5mm and that washer ring fits in the mounting hole of my msi board.

thermalright_true_spirit_019.jpg

Google links to intel's Latin American site for a (possibly newer?) .pdf - Provides LGA1151 socket information for 6th and 7th Generation Intel® Core™ processor families for S-processor line-based systems

However, the download link there is broken. Did intel quietly change the spec in 2015, but only NDA partners know about it? Sounds like a conspiracy theory, but maybe somebody with better sleuthing skills can find a newer .pdf

It won't be for a while. Dondan ordered 4 test units from cooljag and lian li (a full copper and a alu fin version from each company) and tested them out. He ran some tests and found that the performance wasn't quite where he wanted it to be so he is in the process of finishing up the new design with more heatpipes. Once the design is finished he will request new units for testing. If the new batch is satisfactory he will let us know. From there he needs too coordinate a kickstarter and schedule the production run with the company. It will be a while before it is ready. A month or so would be really optimistic but realistically it should be more in the lines of 2-4 months.

You can't rush these things. The A4 was in development for years before the first batch was released. Dondan wants to make sure that he releases a good product not only for the customers but to keep his brand name looking good so that he can continue his amazing work.

That sucks. Will wait a year or 2.

I just thought about this, but maybe it's a non-issue: Is anyone else worried about rattling noise or squeaking caused by the fan support? Maybe not at first, but after a month (or more) of vibrational stress, it'll show signs of wear.

I just thought about this, but maybe it's a non-issue: Is anyone else worried about rattling noise or squeaking caused by the fan support? Maybe not at first, but after a month (or more) of vibrational stress, it'll show signs of wear.
I've used numerous heatsinks over the years that have made use of fan clips to secure the fans and I've never experienced any issues other than the inherent annoyance they cause when initially installing or swapping out fans.

Last edited:
I am back from my holidays! With new energy I started my work on the retention kit for the HSLP-48.
This is the progress after day 1.
The retention kit (expect of the two screws for mounting the heatsink on it) will be completely tool less. I add two springs for a save pressure of 120 N/mm on each side. The total pressure is 240 N/mm. This is completely in Intel specs.

hslp-48_retention9osuv.jpg

1) Still looking like you could have a Noctua A12x15 underneath with VLP Ram?
2) At one point you were suggesting that the new design would work with an Asus Z270i Strix. Does that still seem to be the case?

dondan, I am curious, why don't you place heat pipes close to each other, so they'll be in direct contact and will be able to transfer heat to each other?

The reviews about the new Noctua Threadripper coolers show it has an offset feature to move the cooler away from PCI-E slot. Look at last picture on TR's review.
Offset mounting options for better PCIe clearance
In order to assure optimal compatibility with SLI and CrossFire multi-GPU setups, the SecuFirm2™ mounting for TR4/SP3 makes it possible to offset the cooler by 3 or 6mm towards the upper edge of the motherboard, thereby increasing clearance of the top PCIe slot.

Might be something to consider for these tight builds.

Is that a 120mm fan in the first 2 latest renders with a fan? Looks like it's taking up the whole width of the fins, and IIRC 120mm was about the width of the fins. Is the last one 92mm or 100?

Looks amazing, and I do want to buy it. Not very happy with my Cryorig’s noise levels.

Are you going to make a guide regarding components that this setup is going to work with? I have a rather tight A4 v1 build :)

I am back from my holidays! With new energy I started my work on the retention kit for the HSLP-48.
This is the progress after day 1.
The retention kit (expect of the two screws for mounting the heatsink on it) will be completely tool less. I add two springs for a save pressure of 120 N/mm on each side. The total pressure is 240 N/mm. This is completely in Intel specs.

hslp-48_retention9osuv.jpg

Careful with overtightening. Do note that small cases tend to be moved more than bigger ones (for obvious reasons) and that because your cooler is targetting smaller cases... do note of the pressure increase created by sheer movement of the case with the installed heatsink. I'd suggest you leave a security margin and not push it too far, or else you might damage the board / socket / cpu should the assembled computer ever be hit (which will probably happen when transporting it).

Big Update:

Today I finsehed the work on the heatpipe version. I will order it next week. Here are some pictures of it:

v1.15627u5f.jpg

v1.1578juvz.jpg

v1.1585muzo.jpg

v1.1599uury.jpg

v1.160ebuwt.jpg

parts11s5m.jpg

retention.163y4swi.jpg
For compatibility reasons: it would be great if you designed the retentionkit in a way for the heatsink being able to mount in any direction, also on AMD. As far as I can see, it would be possible by simply providing two different lengths of the metal rods for the retentionkit. I assume the 2 lenghts on your rendering are for Intel and AMD though?

prava: Because of this I use prings and a fix pressure point (the screw will stop at this point) to be in Intel specs.

I think it is the same mounting method noctua uses? The only problem with this is that you can't sand your processor or heatsink because by doing so you screw up with the designated pressure point.

This is right but every heatsink retention system will have this "problem".

I'm assuming this heatsink will have an issue with RAM sticks that have heatspreaders on them, like the G.Skill Trident Z ones? Or will that be okay?

I'm assuming this heatsink will have an issue with RAM sticks that have heatspreaders on them, like the G.Skill Trident Z ones? Or will that be okay?

some heatsinks will have clearance issues. The 120mm fan will only work with low profile ram. Regular sized ram with un-exaggerated heatsinks will fit with a 92mm fan.

Back