DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

Does this Xeon come with crappy TIM on the die or is it soldered? That is... If you were to delid, overall curious to see how much that would be holding it back?
Not even dream that i'm going to delid it :woot:, for me the temps are completely normal, looking at what's under the hood. The risk is not worth it.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm sorry if this has been addressed, but has Dan tested the HSLP-48 against the Shadow Rock LP and how does it perform in comparison?

Titan TFD-9515M12ZP/KE maybe is good too: 95mmx15mm, 38CFM, 2.5mm H2O.
It is 80mm fan compatible, so maybe Cooltek LP53 fan replacement?!

http://www.titan-cd.com/en/product/...l-92mm-x-92mm-x-15mm/TFD-9515M12ZP_KE_RB.html

Similar fan is part of Titan DC-155A915Z/RPW

Titan DC-155A915Z/RPW ----- 38.5 CFM -------- 5 ~ 29 dBA ----- 210 ~ 2100 RPM <<< TITAN IS QUIETER AS IT RUNS SLOWER
Thermalright TY-100 ------------- 44.5 CFM ------- 22 ~ 30 dBA ----- 900 ~ 2500 RPM <<< THERMALRIGHT IS MORE POWERFUL

TY-100 is the most powerful low profile 90 - 95 mm fan that's out there, and it's not very loud (correct me if I'm wrong).

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Titan DC-155A915Z/RPW ----- 47.6 CFM -------- 25 ~ 33 dBA ----- 1000 ~ 2600 RPM
This is correct, but don`t forget static pressure part 3.88mm H2O for this one. For TY-100 static pressure is unknown.
I mean not better, but probably good as TY-100.

So, I'm just wondering with the Dan Case V2.0, why he try to trim off some mm from the height/depth and translate that to some width to give more room for a taller CPU cooler? Could get the same volume, or less, and open up more CPU cooler options.

I can't find the TY-100 fan for sale anywhere, unless together with the AXP-100. Does anyone know where to buy just the fan?

Update:

Today I got the HSLP-48 from CoolJag and I tested it against the version of Lian Li. From the outer look the LianLi version has a better quality because the fins are deburred.

Here are the differences between CoolJag and Lian Li version:

CPU plate bottom finish:
  • LianLi = polished
  • CoolJag = brushed

CPU bottom plate top part:
  • Lian Li = aluminum
  • CoolJag = copper

Heatpipe color:
  • LianLi = darker copper
  • CoolJag = shiny copper

5820K 6x3,4Ghz - Bench Table
Prime95 v26.6 8K Test – 15min each

Heatsink-----------------------Fan-----------Position---Mode-------RPM--------Room Temp-----Core Temp
HSLP-48 Copper (CoolJag)...A12x15..............Top..........Pushing.........1800..............25........................57,3°C
HSLP-48 Alu (CoolJag).........A12x15..............Top..........Pushing.........1800..............25........................58,5°C

Thermalrigth AXP 100............Ty-100...............Top..........Pushing.........2400..............25.......................59,3°C
HSLP-48 Copper (Lian Li).....A12x15..............Top..........Pushing.........1800..............25........................63,5°C
HSLP-48 Alu (Lian Li)............A12x15..............Top..........Pushing.........1800..............25........................67,2°C

So you see the CoolJag heatsink is exactly in the performance class I want it too be. The copper version is 6,2°C better as the LianLi copper version and the CoolJag Alu version is 8,7°C better as the Lian Li version. Furthermore the difference between copper and alu is on the CoolJag version 1,2°C vs 3,7 °C for the LianLi version.

Based on the values I can say that the HSLP-48 CoolJag version is 12°C better as the Cryorig C7.

But why is the CoolJag version so much better? It could be that CoolJag use heatpipes with a different inner structure or better soldered the heatpipes to the CPU plate, but I have no data about it. What I know is that CoolJag use a copper plate for bottom and top part of the CPU plate and the bottom plate finish is brushed. Maybe I have to change that for the Lian Li version too.

Also I will order a six heatpipe version of the CoolJag alu version, to see how it will perform.

Update:

Today I got the HSLP-48 from CoolJag and I tested it against the version of Lian Li. From the outer look the LianLi version has a better quality because the fins are deburred.

CPU plate bottom finish:
  • LianLi = polished
  • CoolJag = brushed

• Lian Li = aluminum
  • CoolJag = copper

Heatpipe color:
  • LianLi = darker copper
  • CoolJag = shiny copper

Heatsink-----------------------Fan-----------Position---Mode-------RPM--------Room Temp-----Core Temp
HSLP-48 Copper (CoolJag)...A12x15..............Top..........Pushing.........1800..............25........................57,3°C
HSLP-48 Alu (CoolJag).........A12x15..............Top..........Pushing.........1800..............25........................58,5°C

Thermalrigth AXP 100............Ty-100...............Top..........Pushing.........2400..............25.......................59,3°C
HSLP-48 Copper (Lian Li).....A12x15..............Top..........Pushing.........1800..............25........................63,5°C
HSLP-48 Alu (Lian Li)............A12x15..............Top..........Pushing.........1800..............25........................67,2°C

So you see the CoolJag heatsink is exactly in the performance class I want it too be. The copper version is 6,2°C better as the LianLi copper version and the CoolJag Alu version is 8,7°C better as the Lian Li version. Furthermore the difference between copper and alu is on the CoolJag version 1,2°C vs 3,7 °C for the LianLi version.

Based on the values I can say that the HSLP-48 CoolJag version is 12°C better as the Cryorig C7.

But why is the CoolJag version so much better? It could be that CoolJag use heatpipes with a different inner structure or better soldered the heatpipes to the CPU plate, but I have no data about it. What I know is that CoolJag use a copper plate for bottom and top part of the CPU plate and the bottom plate finish is brushed. Maybe I have to change that for the Lian Li version too.

Also I will order a six heatpipe version of the CoolJag alu version, to see how it will perform.

Really nice to see :) good that you waited on the Cooljag Cooler before order the new 6 heatpipes versions.

Fair enough.

What kind of price points are you thinking about?

(Throwing out rando numbers) If the 4-pipe Cu is $75 at 57.3C and 6-pipe is $85 at 55C. We might as well pay the premium for a premium cooler!

Reactions: Rysen
like this
Fair enough.

What kind of price points are you thinking about?

(Throwing out rando numbers) If the 4-pipe Cu is $75 at 57.3C and 6-pipe is $85 at 55C. We might as well pay the premium for a premium cooler!
I agree if I have to pay 10 more dollars for a 70$ product it reality makes little to no difference for kick starter product. If we are talking about a 30$+ difference then it makes sense.

Wow that is a massive difference. Did Lian Li actually make the heatsink, or did they source it through another OEM? If they made it themselves, I could see their lack of experience making heatsinks instead of cases being an issue. If they outsourced to another OEM, I'd be really curious to know who it is (so I can avoid their coolers like the plague).

For clarification, are you saying the hslp-48 will be 12°C better than the Cryorig C7 with the fan on top pushing or under the fins pulling? Because fan on top pushing isn't really apple to apple comparison in my mind.

You are right but with fan under it the results are very similar. I tested it with the TY-100.

KMPKT: The source it through a heatsink OEM.

Update:

CPU plate bottom finish:
  • LianLi = polished
  • CoolJag = brushed

• Lian Li = aluminum
  • CoolJag = copper

Heatpipe color:
  • LianLi = darker copper
  • CoolJag = shiny copper

The results are really interesting, Dan. Did you give both cooler a close look at the baseplate of the heatsink? It might be the CoolJag's HSLP-48 baseplate eventhough it has a brushed finished has a flatter surface while the Lian Li's HSLP-48 baseplate has a convex or concave surface.

You are right but with fan under it the results are very similar. I tested it with the TY-100.

KMPKT: The source it through a heatsink OEM.
Will we can use the cooler with the top fans in the dan a4sfx windowed? or only with the fan bottom?

Update:

CPU plate bottom finish:
  • LianLi = polished
  • CoolJag = brushed

• Lian Li = aluminum
  • CoolJag = copper

Heatpipe color:
  • LianLi = darker copper
  • CoolJag = shiny copper

Thanks for all the work dondan, very surprising results. CoolJag is looking good at the moment!

Is there anybody on this forum (or another) willing to send an IR camera to dondan for a few weeks such that he can analyze the temperature fields? Or perhaps we can buy one for dan, they are about 250euro, if we all chip in $10 we will be there very quickly (is there a site where we can organise this?).

Also, dondan, you could cut open the heat pipes of the current designs to see what is inside. This allows you to see if the wick structure is different, and how it is holding out in the "tight" bends. It would be a small sacrifice, obviously after all tests are done.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
In other words no. Only fan on the bottom unless you make a custom solution to extend tge side panel or window.

I think what we are all interested in (at least, people with a Dan case) are temps with the fan on the bottom in pull orientation....maybe even in the case.....with a 7700K....while playing Witcher 3........:D

I think what we are all interested in (at least, people with a Dan case) are temps with the fan on the bottom in pull orientation....maybe even in the case.....with a 7700K....while playing Witcher 3........:D

Yes! Yes? Yes!!! I still haven't played that game. It has been sitting on my desktop since it released.

Last edited:
From what I understand, Dan is trying to test the heatsinks with the fan on-top because
1) Its much easier to mount and unmount the fans and heatsinks for testing
2) It means the fans are running at their best, so the test is about the limits of the heatsink rather than the fan, therefore allowing comparisons of the heatsink performance, not fan performance.
3) Once the optimal heatsink is found, then dan will be probably do testing with the fan underneath the fins and in the case too.

However everyones concern is that the heatsink results are irrelevant to the end user as the heatsink tests do not reflect real application usage. Eventually I think Dan will be publishing the in-situ results, but I agree that there are concerns that we might be missing out on;
1) How does it actually compare at this stage, How much of a difference does it make when the fan is underneath, and then within the case.
2) and Importantly... from an airflow point of view, the fan will be having a much harder time when between fins and the motherboard, so one aspect that hasn't been publicly tested is if the fan will still move air efficiently when jammed tight underneath the fins. I have concerns that the fin stack is too thick and is therefore obstructing the 'breathability' of the fan.

A heatsink that works well with a fan on top that isn't limited for airflow would perform better with deeper fins, but if the fan is underneath and is struggling to breath, thinner fins might give lower surface area, but a couple mm off the bottom of the fins might reduce the airflow limitation (reducing resistance to airflow and increasing breathing space for the fan).

I'm sure dan is aware of all this, and will work towards that after the initial stage of prototyping and testing, and will certainly be testing this down the line. Testing heatsinks is not an easy thing to do properly and takes a significant amount of spare time. I too cant wait to see how the heatsinks compare in-situ.

Reactions: dopa
like this
So the same guy that recommended the C7 but didn't ever notice how noisy it is, is now testing heatsinks in a configuration that won't be compatible with his case...

What a joke.

So the same guy that recommended the C7 but didn't ever notice how noisy it is, is now testing heatsinks in a configuration that won't be compatible with his case...

What a joke.
did somebody just steal your lunch money?

What a joke.

Woe, whatsup with that comment. The dude has a life. Give him a break. The diffeence from the fan being under and on top is very small. He is doing us a favor by developing this. He is trying to look for the right performance range.

As for the C7 it performs as intended for the size. The turbulence is outside of his control. It doesn't change the fact that that it performs well.

Chill out man.

What a joke.
imho, if you want a case that small, noise should be less of a problem, than heat.

Woe, whatsup with that comment. The dude has a life. Give him a break. The diffeence from the fan being under and on top is very small. He is doing us a favor by developing this. He is trying to look for the right performance range.

I disagree, Dan is not doing us all a favor, it's a business venture since he's in this to make money. I was following this thread hoping to see the best cooler designed and tested for usage in his case, not an open air environment.

Back