DAN C4-SFX: The smallest water cooling case in the world

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by dondan, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Notional

Notional n00bie

Oh, btw. Have you seen the new side panel "hooks" that Lian Li has made? You won't need any holes in glass panels with them, as they are glued:

That is a steel case, but it 130$ with 2 glass panels.

Chimpee and Talyrius like this.
  2. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

If you view the video you can see that the metal sheet + 3M tape + tempered glass sandwitch is very thick. You need 6.5mm for it. Take a look on your ruler and you will see how thick this is. On a 40L case this doesn't matter but on the C4-SFX the case will bee much wider 127.3mm vs 137.5mm.

Maybe it will be possible if Lian Li could get 4mm tempered glass from china and i will glue the glass from the inside on the panel like the new panels for the M1.

Maxed likes this.
  3. Notional

Notional n00bie

The metal strip is super thin. No more than 1mm I'd guess. The glass itself is thick, but also quite large. With a smaller piece, you could keep it at a solid 3mm, but 4 is also fine. The window kit really just needs to be 1 side on the GPU side. No reason to have a glass panel on the backside, as it will suffocate the PSU, and maybe an M.2 SSD on the back of the motherboard.

A glass panel will add thickness to the side, but that is also the case, if you go with an acrylic panel. To me, having the case be 2-5mm thicker on the side to have tempered glass compared to acrylic is well worth it.

Anyways, it's just an idea, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing the prototypes when you get them. Keep up the good work :)

Talyrius likes this.
  4. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

Here are two versions that shows how it will look like with tempered glass.

The first version will be compatible to the side I/O concept and top I/O conecpt. The glass panel will be glued from the inside.

The second version will be only compatible to the top I/O conect. The glass panel will be glues from the outside. Now you can see how much thickness this will add.

temperedglasss9u81.jpg

It is only a example to show you what options we have with tempered glass.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  5. thed00d

thed00d n00bie

What happened to the full sized glass side panels from the renderings?

edit: ah nvm, those were acrylic instead of glass, right?

Talyrius likes this.
  6. Maxed

Maxed [H]Lite

I think it looks much better with acrylic.

thed00d likes this.
  7. Talyrius

Talyrius Gawd

I'll never again buy a case with an acrylic side panel/window. It's a terrible substitute for glass.

Lazer1337 and Notional like this.
  8. Maxed

Maxed [H]Lite

If I purchase this case its with the intention of carrying it around with me. So I feel like an acrylic side panel would me more suitable.

thed00d likes this.
  9. Dra1c

Dra1c n00bie

if you like scratches. Otherwise glass is better.

Lazer1337 and Talyrius like this.
  10. Buttoneer

Buttoneer n00bie

I prefer the unibody version at post #525 anyway. It's a good look - a 'Dancase' look - so IMO you should stick with it. An alternative might be to tweak the design of the A4 at the same time as you do this one to bring it in line.

dglow and richiegore like this.
  11. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

@All: Wahaha360 found a supplier that can do 2mm black tempered glass. I will test it with these designs:

c4-sfx_black_top.266vlu7l.jpg
    10e8oes.jpg

Maxed, Woxys, irebel and 9 others like this.
  12. duke00

duke00 n00bie

I Hope this work :D it looks amazing

13. thed00d

thed00d n00bie

If the supplier can do this with tempered Glass, I'd want this case even more than I want it right now ^^

Notional likes this.
  14. SilverTurtle

SilverTurtle n00bie

This might be the best news I have heard this week. Cant wait to see how it goes!!!

15. Notional

Notional n00bie

This would be my dream case. I am a little worried about 2mm thickness. Would be it possible to buy extra, if they break?

AlMiDaX likes this.
  16. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

Here is an interesting documentation how to easy install an Asetek AIO on a GTX Founders Edition card without disassembly the complete card.
    Keep in mind you need a special Asetek GPU AIO for this! The tubes are straight out and you need a NVIDIA, AMD retention plate.

The following sets are suitable and have all the necessary parts included:
    • Arctic Accelero Hybrid II
    • Arctic Accelero Hybrid III
    • EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 Hybrid
    • Asetek 740GN

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/gtx-1080-fe-gtx-980ti-hybrid-radiator-oc-temp-results.2479044/

jgjjv70esn7.jpg
    (Credits to "Annisman*" from AnandTech)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018 at 10:50 AM
    Maxed likes this.
  17. primcrew

primcrew n00bie

i kinda of did that with a asetek 92mm aio rad. i didnt have a fe card or a blower style card and it was cooking my case. so what i did was get a kraken g12, cut off the name plate,couldnt put the g12 fan on but i could still mount the aio, put the psu outside the case and put the aio rad in its place. its funny the side panel holes almost line up with 92mm aio rad holes. so right now i have 2 92mm rads inside the case, one for the gpu and on for the cpu. if would think you could kinda just make the case a little bigger and be able to put in 120 mm rads? and maybe a way for me to put back in the psu lol

18. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

You are in the C4-SFX thread so yes 2x120mm rads will fit.

Maxed likes this.
  19. primcrew

primcrew n00bie

no im in the first version a4sfx

20. Mrclean

Mrclean n00bie

Hes not talking about your case, he's talking about what thread this conversation is happening in...