DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by dondan, Dec 30, 2013.

1. DrFino

DrFino n00b

Does your USPS page look like this still?

2. Ca11idus

Ca11idus Limp Gawd

MostComfortable likes this.
  3. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

lol the pleasures of being an early adopter!

Ca11idus likes this.
  4. JackGLemmon

JackGLemmon n00b

It looks like the Arctic Freezer 11 LP has a similar design to the Noctua L9i. They both have a copper block that contacts the CPU top that has a pyramidal cross-section. They both use two heat pipes that touch the side of the copper block and move the heat to higher outside fins. The fins are made of aluminium for both coolers.

The fan for the Freezer 11 LP clips on. This means that users would have to find a way to attach a new slim fan. The screws in the corners are to engage little plastic feet that use Intel-style push-pins. These plastic feet cause clearance issues with crowed sockets. That is what they say in the bit-tech review "make sure your motherboard has plenty of free room round the CPU socket, and keep your receipts just in case".

https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2012/07/02/arctic-freezer-11-lp-review/1

The slim fan will not be free. The Noctua NF-A9x14 slim fan costs around $16 and the Freezer 11 LP cooler costs about $17. This $33 total is getting close to the $38 price of the L9i cooler and fan combination.

If you buy it, please let us know if it works for you.

5. Jspr

Jspr Limp Gawd

Yeah, I am thinking about it, but aren't fully prepared to move into the a4 sfx yet, as I am still waiting to purchase delid tool. I have the C7 and the LP52+a9x14, but may or may not try the 11-LP out..(n)

6. ahmedelamin_

ahmedelamin_ n00b

Hey guys, a quick note regarding the AXP-100 Full copper from Thermalright.
    It seems like I will be having a Skype conversation with them in the next few days hopefully.
    Before doing so, I wanted to get any feedback from the community that might be worth passing on. Those who have modded their AXP-100s - any comments etc?

MintCondition and Ca11idus like this.
  7. JackGLemmon

JackGLemmon n00b

It sounds like you have a couple of the suggested coolers already.

Looking carefully at the construction and mounting system of the Arctic Freezer 11 LP, I think you should not buy the cooler. The fan frame also holds the screws for mounting the cooler to the plastic push-pin feet. Once you remove the fan, you will have no way to get your cooler to say on the socket. We both agree that the default fan can not be used, as it is too thick.

8. Philfreeze

Philfreeze [H]Lite

I only modded the normal version.
    Only comment I can give is that it is extremly easy to do and I have actually ordered a new one (MORE HEATSINKS) which should arrive tomorrow. Dan voiced concerns about a potential reduction of the cooling performance if you bend the heatpipes, provided I get the heatsink tomorrow I will test both in my old PC without side panel (open air) to see if the performace stays constant.
    Sadly I can't give you any more feedback as I did not do any testing yet, I will start this weekend with the first few heatsinks.

rmearns likes this.
  9. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

i'm the only one who modded it i think, my only comment is

why you having a skype with them anyways?

10. ahmedelamin_

ahmedelamin_ n00b

Thanks guys, I'll make sure to pass on your comments. The conversation is really just to see what they can do to help, if anything. Just came out some emails that were being sent back and forward.

11. HopkinsTea

HopkinsTea n00b

I live in Atlanta and I still haven't received mine. Still hasn't updated and says Germany on tracking. Looks like location of states doesn't matter that much.

MostComfortable likes this.
  12. okwchin

okwchin Limp Gawd

From my readings, the AXP-100 is the original model. Lower height and the tan and brown fan.

From there, there are three applicable suffixes, R, H, and Muscle

H refers to the a taller model that is a few mm taller. 65mm vs 58 (with fan)

R refers to a design styled for the Republic of Gamers. This means a black and red fan.

Muscle is also a fan colour change with the black and white fan.

Naturally you wont see R and Muscle together if their both fan colour changes, but you will see shorter and taller options in both R and Muscle designations. (Red or white fan)

13. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

muscle is cheaper as they say on their website :

FAQ 1
    Question : I saw this model at your website which is very similar in look to your AXP-100 model. What are the differences between the two models?
    Answer : AXP-100 Muscle is a budgetary version of AXP-100 that gives similar cooling performance yet at a more affordable price. The differences are:
    – AXP-100 heat-sink uses a copper base while the Muscle version has an aluminum base instead.
    – AXP-100 heat-sink does include an Enhanced Fan Mount to accommodate a 120mm fan while the Muscle version does not
    – AXP-100 has certain cosmetic attributes that are not absent from the Muscle version such as the heatpipe caps, nickel plating, etc..
    – Lastly, the AXP-100 comes with a Yellow&Green fan while the Muscle version has Black&White fan

MintCondition and Ca11idus like this.
  14. Ca11idus

Ca11idus Limp Gawd

Good catch. I almost bought a muscle to fit in with the x99e-itx before dan anuounced his hslpxgjtop-48

Julio Espinosa and Jspr like this.
  15. HighKo

HighKo n00b

Now that we established that we can easily bent axp coolers with pure muscle, who wants to try the axp-200 ?

JackGLemmon and mcheddadi like this.
  16. Jirbin

Jirbin n00b

hmmmm, this is a lil bit alarming. the operating temp for the 960 should be limited to 70c deg only according to the specs. i am very concerned about the ssd's life span... i suppose having it mounted on top (with other mobo with front mount M.2) would probably have the same temp since it would be right beside the cpu...

17. tbooth

tbooth [H]Lite

My USPS page went from Germany on February 28th to:

March 9, 2017
    12:21 pm

Delivered, Front Door/Porch,

JackGLemmon, DrFino and illram like this.
  18. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

I finally got a canadapost link. the DHL one finally updated after one week of nothing! it's getting closer!

[​IMG]

maybe next week! :woot:

19. loopaddiction

loopaddiction n00b

Having lived in Southern California all my life...the US Post Office at Bells Gardens is notoriously known for being the "black hole." If the package isn't lost completely, there's a good chance it will be stuck here for at least a few days. I sigh heavily when I track a package and see it stop at this location.

http://www.laweekly.com/news/the-in...tal-sorting-office-is-losing-las-mail-4255105
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/us-post-office-bell-gardens-2

20. Jirbin

Jirbin n00b

i got the same update this morning! =) cheers to us.

mcheddadi likes this.
  21. dominathan

dominathan [H]Lite

SF just got it. Please today or Saturday

22. cowsgomoo2

cowsgomoo2 Limp Gawd

23. spda242

spda242 n00b

What did you succeed using the backplate with Z270I?
    When I tried to use it, in several different ways it conflicted with components mounted on the motherboard so I couldn't fit it properly !?

24. Diverge

Diverge Gawd

I'm in the process of fitting a 120mm x 120mm x 20mm fan under my Nexus heatsink. I'll have to sacrifice one of my ram slots, and had to make other modifications to the CPU VRM heatsink (cut it smaller). I have to cut one more corner off my fan so it doesn't interfere with the ram slot. Here's some pictures I've taken throughout the process. I originally wanted to use my gentle typhoon fan, and it would fit (after cutting corners off), but the bends of the heatpipes prevents it from sitting under the heatsink fully. I might take another attempt at fitting the gentle typhoon fan later on. Just want to get the 20mm thick fan working at least to see if there are any issues.

https://goo.gl/photos/RkQLiX9XxbLHA3NMA

The fan is a DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm GS 120 PWM Fan Hydro Bearing 120X120X20mm

Julio Espinosa and MrLahn like this.
  25. JoeH823

JoeH823 [H]Lite

So I unexpectedly ended up with time last evening to transfer my system to the A4-SFX. Asrock Z87E, i7-4770S with LP53 (had stock fan, upgraded it last night to the Noctua), SF600 (new in box waiting for this build), two SSDs, GTX970 (for now). Some thoughts (some of which is repeating what others have said since shipping to the US has been taking some time)...

First of all, I ended up using solid-core 22AWG wire with the insulation stripped off to attach the fan to the LP53. I wasn't sure if it would be thick enough wire, but it worked far better than I expected. Very secure.

Secondly, I unfortunately could not use the 12" slim SATA cables that I had, as they were just a few inches too short with the way the drives are arranged in the case. Might have to pick up some 18" ones.

Also made a bunch of mistakes so it took me far longer to setup than expected. I originally put the drives facing the back of the case instead of the front, which obviously means you can't access them. Then, once I fixed that and got to the PSU steps, I discovered that the SATA power connector on the SF600 makes it impossible to use two drives in the cage (they're too close together for the design of the Corsair cable) so I had to go back to the start and move one to the front of the case.

(I'm not blaming the design of the case for this at all, it's just a lot to put in a small space: ) Cable management is an absolute bitch in the case. It is possible to shove the thick Corsair wires into the case, but it's really a mess. While I wouldn't say custom cables are 100% necessary, they're pretty damn close to it. I'll definitely have to look into that as my next step.

Finally, yeah my Wifi antennas look ridiculous because they're taller than the case is. Really wish there was a smaller dual-band version akin to the 'nub' ones people have been mentioning.

But overall I love the case. Every bit as high quality as expected when backing the project.

Woxys, Horrocko and CknSalad like this.
  26. danij3l

danij3l [H]Lite

I'm using 3 HDDs (2 in cage and one in front mount) with SF450. If you are going with 2 drives only it is better to split them, but if using 3 is doable.

27. Eingang

Eingang n00b

I´m getting worried now. I´ve ordered a Fatal1ty X270 Gaming/ac and will also use a M.2 on the mobo backside with 4mm spacers. 72C is way too much fmpov.

Now I´m searching for a M.2 extender / riser solution. Couldn´t find something, yet. Anyone any hint? Appreciated!

Julio Espinosa likes this.
  28. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

29. Eingang

Eingang n00b

Hi people! I found 2 M.2 riser / extender solutions:

1) https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product...act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3ERIAI23RXW3B

This seems to be a real PCIx 4x extender cable solution but this can just be ordered from Japan. Any Japanese guy here?

2) http://www.ebay.de/itm/222165699736

This is a M.2 PCIx 4x to U.2 converter to attach a SFF-8639 device. It can not only be attached to a U.2 SSD but to a converter like this, too:

http://www.delock.de/produkte/G_62725/merkmale.html

Since I have that converter here (32€), this seems to be my choice. Well, there´s no other choice for me, it seems... While number 1 would be better, I think.

30. illram

illram [H]ard|Gawd

I wouldn't worry about stress test numbers. Just don't run stress tests. Normal loads shouldn't hit 70c. If you are really worried you can try sticking a small heatsink on it?

Meccabolix likes this.
  31. Eingang

Eingang n00b

Heatsink? With 4mm spacers? Really?

32. illram

illram [H]ard|Gawd

Yes. There are ones that are basically just a flat tiny sheet of copper.

33. mathijs159

mathijs159 [H]Lite

But doesn't the 960 series already has that? And it isn't much of a heatsink really, just proloning the inevitable.

34. illram

illram [H]ard|Gawd

You could stick a really thick thermal pad between the m.2 and the mobo tray and make the whole tray the heatsink! :D

Seriously though unless you have a niche workload, like serious video editing or encoding or something requiring sustained high capacity R/W times with the SSD, in normal usage I really don't think you are going to hit thermal throttling levels for the rear M.2

35. Meccabolix

Meccabolix n00b

i delidded my 6700K, i still have it clocked at 4.4Ghz and am using the LP53 + a9x14 PWM in vertical orientation with 4mm standoffs, here are the temps:

Idle temps:

DELID lp53 with a9x14 4mm virtical idle.JPG

Prime 95 temps:

DELID lp53 with a9x14 4mm virtical stress.JPG

Very happy with those temps.

I have routed the GPU riser on the GPU side and will do the GPU, CPU and M.2 test now and post results in an hour or two, hopefully the m.2 temps will be abit better. But odds are you arent going to be constantly running stress tests so don't worry too much about this GPU, CPU, and M.2 stress test, it's a very worst case scenario that you will never run into in normal use.

36. JackGLemmon

JackGLemmon n00b

This item is a M.2 slot to U.2 drive end of cable. This is a render of a ribbon cable version of what Intel and others produce. It is cool that it is a ribbon cable for any SFF Intel 750 SSD users.

http://techreport.com/news/30251/intel-bridges-the-u-2-gap-with-an-m-2-cable-for-its-750-series-ssd

That is a fine option to get the drive away from the heat, and it costs a lot less then a new motherboard and Windows tax. They make a similar cable set for people with U.2 connectors (AKA Asus Maximus Viii Impact Z170).

https://smile.amazon.com/Funtin-SFF-8639-Mini-SAS-SFF-8643-Cable/dp/B01COOQ3MS/

https://smile.amazon.com/SFF-8639-PCIe-Inch-9-5mm-Case/dp/B019ZOS2BK/

37. morgwon

morgwon [H]ardness Supreme

Chicago here. Delivered yesterday.

38. drklu

drklu 2[H]4U

Must be getting close for us West coasters too, I don't remember it saying "preparing shipment" on the tracking

upload_2017-3-10_13-50-8.png

39. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

Wow those are really good temps! I got my rockit delid kit and will do the same. You should try 4.8ghz!

40. illram

illram [H]ard|Gawd

It's been saying that for me since the first day I had USPS tracking.

repentsinner and DrFino like this.