DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by dondan, Dec 30, 2013.

1. illram

illram [H]ard|Gawd

High bios temps are normal. In windows/whatever OS you have the CPU will be using its powersaving features and idle temps will lower. I have 40c temps in bios and low 30'S high 20's in Windows.

Philfreeze and p0lish like this.
  2. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

Update:

Currently I work on the poll for the window kit. I think I will offer the link in the next days. So I can finalize the drawings and make it ready on the same time the second series will be ready.

Furthermore I work on some tiny changes for the second series:

1.) switching from glued screw in motherboard stand off to stamp in stand offs.
    2.) center the USB port perfectly.
    3.) adding a thin rubber layer on the outer surface of the feets to get more grip
    4.) Taking a look at this riser ( http://www.vary.technology/product/RP33.html) or the new riser of Lian Li to lower the price (but only if they have the same performance, quality and properties)

3. Jonas Mellkvist

Jonas Mellkvist Limp Gawd

Nice to hear my Cooltek LP53 comes tomorrow from Germany. I think i will test without the adapter for lowest temps.

Julio Espinosa and Meccabolix like this.
  4. illram

illram [H]ard|Gawd

I would ditch the low noise adapter and just use your mobo's PWM features to mess with fan speeds anyways. Why gimp yourself?

5. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

6. David A4

David A4 Limp Gawd

Looks great! wish i could say i have one coming my way too ;(

7. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

mcheddadi Ok I see how you did it. It looks like there is not enough space for the rentention plate? The CPU plate isn't centered it will be hard to reach the screws on the rentention plate trough the holes on the fin surface.

Waiting for results. :)

Julio Espinosa likes this.
  8. ottoman

ottoman n00b

Thank you for your test results. I looked into your previous posts, but did not find a test of the NH-L9i. Did I miss that or was there no test from you? Do you plan to test this cooler?

9. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

yeah I forgot about the retention plate lol. it wasn't that hard to make space by bending the pipes so I'm thinking that 2mm more definitely won't be a problem when I need to install it. still waiting for that case, stuck in parcel center in Rodgau since the 3rd of march. :/

10. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

here's the process with anyone who has a normal axp-100 or axp-100 muscle or axp-100R or the 8 or 9 guys thats have the axp-100 full copper

11. Jonas Mellkvist

Jonas Mellkvist Limp Gawd

Is it 16 mm Mdf you are using ??

No heating of the pipes before bending the heatzink down and why no movie on the first part on this ??

only down or back and down on the first part with heatzink

12. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

The problem with bending heatpipes without a forming tool is, that you can easily destroy the inner cunstruction of the heatpipe. If you done this the heatsink will perform not good. Too bad you don't make a before and hafter temp test. But thank you for the clips looks great.

13. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

Thank you for the hard testing. I think you will be a perfect candidate for testing the DAN Cases HSLP-48 :)

MrLahn, Julio Espinosa, IssaP and 4 others like this.
  14. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

well let's hope it works flawlessly then ! I don't think i'd have the patience like meccabolix to do tests and tests.
    thanks a lot meccabolix btw!

15. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

yep 16mm mdf. didn't film the first part because I got excited and its only with my hands pulling down , and yes its only down on the first part, not down and back.

16. Diverge

Diverge Gawd

I've bent heatpipes before without issues. I guess there is a good chance it depends on the type of heatpipe, and how much you bend them. But I made drastic changes to an Intel Thin-ITX cooler to make my own little NAS box years ago. It worked without issues too (cooling a 35/45W low power i7). https://goo.gl/photos/53Uf6SYdre6b8DvZ9

For the above, I used a propane torch to take apart the original heatsink, then used pipe bender to form the heat pipes how I wanted. I didn't solder things back together. just used thermal paste and bolted to case for extra heat disappation. I might try something similar with an extra Nexus low cooler that I have on the A4-SFX. Wish I had an extra side panel ;)

MrLahn and Jspr like this.
  17. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

yeah I asked dondan about an extra panel too here, but got the radio silence ;) lol

18. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

great fabrication ! Just checked, you where trying to use the case as a giant heatsink?

19. Diverge

Diverge Gawd

Well the main part of the heatsink was the AMD heatsink I hacked up, and drilled holes into for the heat pipes (which the fan blew over). That part (heatsink) was bolted to the bottom of the case, so the case also dissipated some heat.

20. Horrocko

Horrocko n00b

He wrote some time ago that he would need to keep a stash of side panels for potential RMA requests, so that's why he couldn't sell them separately for the time being. Can't find the exact quote, though.

21. mathijs159

mathijs159 [H]Lite

If anyone else with a silver case is wondering whether to get the black or silver feet: (don't mind the loose usb or power cable)
    These feet, unlike the original ones, are very grippy and aluminium as well. They are a bit higher and the front feet do overlap with the aluminium panel though. Shouldn't be an issue even if it scratches.
    The original feet are hard plastic and I can't even press the power button without having to hold the case, does Lian Li seriously use those on more of their cases?
    Just attached with a simple screw so easily replaced.

Thanks Pagold for posting the link! https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01G1J5U7Q/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=
    (they don't come with nuts and bolts)
    IMG_20170308_203808.jpg IMG_20170308_203652.jpg IMG_20170308_203616.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  22. Meccabolix

Meccabolix n00b

No problem. I would love to test it.

You're welcome, i enjoy testing things and tinkering. I hope the copper cooler works flawlessly, i am jelly, cheers for the pics and vids!

MrLahn, Julio Espinosa and Philfreeze like this.
  23. loopaddiction

loopaddiction n00b

Surprised there aren't more images in this thread from new owners, especially for the super sleek silver version. Waiting until summer to pull the trigger myself...by then we should have enough testing & first-hand experience from users using various configurations. Interested in doing a Ryzen/GTX 1080 Ti set-up for strictly 4K duties.

Is that an LG OLED I see in the background?

Julio Espinosa and Meccabolix like this.
  24. cityle

cityle n00b

Woo hoo
    [​IMG]

25. Woxys

Woxys [H]Lite

Same here.

No cover for the PCIE bracket?

JackGLemmon likes this.
  26. phoxx

phoxx n00b

You got a scale to see the difference in weight?

27. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

640g with fan and normal is 296g with fan

Meccabolix and phoxx like this.
  28. phoxx

phoxx n00b

That's some mass

Meccabolix likes this.
  29. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

bended it more to include the retention plate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. JoeH823

JoeH823 [H]Lite

Picked my case up today from my post office, and it looks great... though I doubt I'll have time to transfer my PC to it before the weekend. :D

31. Ca11idus

Ca11idus Limp Gawd

Where are you located? I want to try and see where the cases are hitting to see when I can expect mine. I know curiosite got his in atlanta.

32. jtcera

jtcera [H]Lite

Worried about my backside mobo m.2 temps while gaming (960 pro). Hitting 62ºC in Dan case. This is with a GTX 1070. When I upgrade to 1080 ti, that's another 100 watts of heat, potentially bleeding out into the backplate and towards the m.2. Anyone else getting temps like this? What's the max temp these should run at? (I can't find documentation online)

Kept digging and found this http://www.samsung.com/semiconducto...ent/NVMe_SSD_960_PRO_EVO_Brochure_Rev_1_1.pdf

I'm near thermal operating limit of 70ºC! Damn. I bet the 1080 ti puts it over the top. Gotta abandon that back slot... Good thing Strix 270i has the front slot. I can just go SATA for additional storage then.

33. JoeH823

JoeH823 [H]Lite

Boston MA. Delivery attempted Monday when I was at work, and available for pickup today.

34. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

I'm going to run two 960 in raid0. I too have a GTX 1070 in there, I hope the rear one is going to be OK. I was wondering if I could buy an extra heatsink like the front strix one

35. vtor67

vtor67 n00b

IMG_0135.PNG Anybody else from Socal having their shipment get stuck at a facility Bell Gardens, CA? Mine has been there for a day and a half with no update :( (The "In Transit to destination" update is an automated one that happens after 24 hours without a true update)

36. Ca11idus

Ca11idus Limp Gawd

You have movement!!! I still have nothing...

So shipmemts to Georgia and Maryland have beem made. Yours is in Caliswagland ready to be delivered. Did tye shipment from Germany land right in the middle of the great U.S.A.? I'm in the Florida Panhandle and have seen no movement in my tracker.

JackGLemmon likes this.
  37. Wazzuppi

Wazzuppi n00b

Whats your immediate feeling on the weight and metal work?

It is indeed! Good eye.

38. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

hey meccabolix, can you link me to the standoffs you bought

39. Keringar

Keringar n00b

Mine's also pretty similar and I live in SoCal too

Attached Files:

40. Jirbin

Jirbin n00b

has anyone tested or have any info about temps on having the m.2 ssd mounted at the back of the board? does it get hot? sorry if i missed it.