DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Thanks for that info :) I add the cooler to the first post in this thread. I did a bit of research and found out, that there are many VaporChamper 1U Cooler, but all of them only for 2011.

Last edited:
I was looking at one of the renderings and if im not mistaking the hdd cage is centered in the middle right?If so if you move it exactly to the left pannel below the gpu woudnt this fix the problem with 2 ssd and sfx-l?

Appart from that im not sure of the hdd cage dimensions but if they allow it coud you drill 4 holes in the hdd cage so that a 92 mm fan can be attached on top of the first ssd?It coud be a 25mm or even a 12mm to help move air up.

Moving the Hddbay to the left panel will not help, because it will not change the situation that it is under the SFX and furthermore it isn't possible, because there is a sidepanelclip.

Your FAN idea will work, but shouldn't be neccessary for a good airflow. But i think i will add the four fan-holes, maybe somebody will use them too.

Hey Dondan,
I really love your case and looking forward to buy one, but i'd suggest to change the fond for the "A4"
I first thought you changed the name to "14" . It just looks odd to me, but maybe i'm the only one with this Problem :confused:

Hi Dan,

No sure if you have thought about these already:

1. There are still some space above / below the graphic card. Maybe you can move the graphic card higher or lower to make some space for SSD rack? If so then it could be fully compatible with SFX-L

2. Will you consider adding 2 or 3 holes for WIFI antenna?

Hi Dan,

No sure if you have thought about these already:

1. There are still some space above / below the graphic card. Maybe you can move the graphic card higher or lower to make some space for SSD rack? If so then it could be fully compatible with SFX-L

2. Will you consider adding 2 or 3 holes for WIFI antenna?

1. Not enough space. The Graphics card can't be moved all the way to the top because there still needs to be some space left for the power connectors.
The space below the GPU is needed for the PCIex16 riser, so you can't move it all the way down, either. The current position also allows for taller-than-standard graphics cards to be installed.

2. I like that idea! Consider it, dondan! :)

IFreilich is right with the gpu position. And an other reason because moving down isn't possible is the AC outlet.

I can add Wifi mountingholes.

IFreilich is right with the gpu position. And an other reason because moving down isn't possible is the AC outlet.

I can add Wifi mountingholes.

Please do not add wifi mounting holes to this case, most cases don't have such wifi mounting holes because most motherboards already come with the attachments to the motherboards. For everyone not using wifi they'll just have 2 random tiny holes at the back.

Please do not add wifi mounting holes to this case, most cases don't have such wifi mounting holes because most motherboards already come with the attachments to the motherboards. For everyone not using wifi they'll just have 2 random tiny holes at the back.

What is the problem with that? It enhances functionality and won't be visible from the front. Also using the holes up there would have the benefit of being able to hide larger WiFi antennae behind the case while the holes on motherboards are positioned in parallel to the board and in the middle of the case, making that a bit harder. And most motherboards come with two holes while some people may want to use a wifi-card with three connectors.

Moving the Hddbay to the left panel will not help, because it will not change the situation that it is under the SFX and furthermore it isn't possible, because there is a sidepanelclip.

Your FAN idea will work, but shouldn't be neccessary for a good airflow. But i think i will add the four fan-holes, maybe somebody will use them too.

Thnaks for considering the 4 fan holes.I suspect that my comments may have been interpreted as a bit ¨pushy¨.If so,it realy wasnt my intention.Was just trying to help.It was just a bit difficult for me to see the exact space as im not rotating around the model.(tip for the future that may ore may not help)---I remember there was a web page in which you can upload a 3d model and other people will be able to rotate arround it in the web browser.Its may be a good tool for everyone to see thing with more chirurgical eye..Have to remember what was the page called...

By the way,do you think there is space for a small cd card reader(like laptops) on the fron of the case?(but it will probably push the price up)
Cheers ;)

By the way,do you think there is space for a small cd card reader(like laptops) on the fron of the case?(but it will probably push the price up)
Cheers ;)

I believe you meant to say SD card reader. There is space for that, but the case will not come with one out of the box. If you want that, you'll have to mod it in.
Yes it pushes up the price, and most people have no use for an SD card reader anyway.
Also it changes the aesthetics of the case, and it was already decided that only one USB-port will be used to keep a minimalistic front. Adding an SD card reader falls into the same vein, in my humble opinion.

Thanks iFreilicht for making this clear. And again the design is final only little changes like holes or logo position could be change. About everything else we can discuss if i made version 2.0

What is the problem with that? It enhances functionality and won't be visible from the front. Also using the holes up there would have the benefit of being able to hide larger WiFi antennae behind the case while the holes on motherboards are positioned in parallel to the board and in the middle of the case, making that a bit harder. And most motherboards come with two holes while some people may want to use a wifi-card with three connectors.

I agree with iFreilicht here...two small holes doesn't ruin the aesthetics of the case. It's all about making the case as versatile as possible without compromising the clean look of the case.

You're thinking of SketchFab: https://sketchfab.com/

I wonder if this is actually an option for indie cases. Because on sketchfab, you don't have control over how the rendering looks, and you can't really show off the internals, as the models on sketchfab can't be disassembled. I mean it's nice, certainly, but I don't see the use for a case to be upload there, no matter whether you embed it into your own website or not.

I had a similar concept in my mind and i'm glad somebody is pushing this. I'll even try to find my old sketchs if it helps and post them here if it can help getting the project to materialize.

Concerning the idea with the wi-fi holes, i've followed a few projects including the Ncase M1 and you get users asking mods for various hypothetical scenarios but you will end up with a product that:
1. Adds unnecessary costs, because yes everytime you add a hole, a little bend etc.. it will add up to the cost. Just ask the Ncase guys about it (althought they went a bit nuts with the numbers of holes in their case). The reality is that for a small batch crowdfunded case, you get very limited economies of scale from your manufacturing partner and will charge you for every "value added" operations. In this scenario those 2 wholes probably 2.25$ per case if you have a batch of 300 cases.

2. Looks silly and will probably get used by nobody: Seriously, it's 2015, itx-motherboard now pretty much all come with wi-fi. Do you really think the 0.01% who say they are willing to spend 180$ for the most space efficient case but don't have wi-fi because they will tell you that they don't have enough money replace their 6 year old core 2 duo with modern hardware or buy a 5$ usb wi-fi dongle?

Bottom line: This case is about getting the most space efficient case capable of holding a top of the line GPU and keeping it clean. Otherwise you end up with this

Too bad this doesn't fit :p Awesome cooler from Cryorig http://www.cryorig.com/c1.php

Cryorig-C1-5.jpg

Lian li is gona make the case right?Appart from the black color if you decide to go with a few more color variation coud you see if the guys from lian li have some paint like this one?
http://akiba-pc.watch.impress.co.jp/hotline/20120225/image/macubicb503.jpg
http://images.enet.com.cn/2012/0313/52/6289431/r_205058iv04uu0pkz6vkwjj.jpg

Its from an old abee case.They call it pure white.Very glossy and it gives that ´´portal´´ feel.Loud look very good on the case whit a black usb port and black interior.

Not sure about this but i think i have seen in the past(maybe 2006-2008)cases with difrent color.Still doesnt hurt to ask.

The frame and brackets of the M1 is painted, only the exterior panels are anodized.

The case would be cool in high gloss black and/or white. It makes the case at little more noticeable and highend. But it depends on the costs I reckon...

High end is the last thing I think of when I see glossy black...

Well it makes me think of pianos and vintage cars, but I guess we're all different ;) I know alot of cases out there is made of cheap flimsy plastic and are high gloss black. But when done correct and with the proper materials the look will be superb.

There's a huge difference between glossy plastic and proper clear coats.

Dondan, have you considered changing the font of the model name "A4-SFX" to the same EVA font as the logo and maybe keep it in a different color? The A4 could easily be mistanken for the number 14 :)

Yes i thought about this but i came to the resukt to use a complete different font for it. I will change it later. Actual i have a lot of stuff to plan with Lian Li. Maybe i can get first prices in the next days.

Well it makes me think of pianos and vintage cars, but I guess we're all different ;)
When I hear glossy black, all I think is fingerprints and dust. Especially since I do have one of them aforementioned pianos :D

I really think in terms of color options, it really only needs to offer two colors. The original black and a brushed / anodized aluminum color. I am really hoping an original aluminum color is offered and in my opinion should come standard.

Can anyone mak a rendering in brushed / anodized aluminum color for reference?

The case will be anodized black and maybe also silver. I think about optional colored sidepanels.

The case will be anodized black and maybe also silver. I think about optional colored sidepanels.

I personally love the look of tempered glass like on the InWin 901, but that's not going to happen.
Silver and black are good choices, I'd say. LianLi also had some red cases in the past which looked awesome, but I'm not sure whether they do those anymore.

I can only have a lot of versions if you have a big market, otherwise you must keep few mainstream options...

Still, the glass has to be attached with screws, while the A4 uses the LianLi pushpins for the sidepanels, which is of course easy for the user and makes the looks a lot cleaner.

Pushpins mounted on the glass with epoxy glue could maybe work?

Just thinking out loud. I'm not a window person anyway; I prefer solid metal panels.

For the first version i plan no special thinks like glass sidepanels.

Actual i plan the details about the case with LianLi. What do you think brushed or not brushed anodized?

Back