Current rig has the weirdest problem...

Vicinity

2[H]4U
I don't really know where to put this because I don't have any idea what component may be the issue. I'm generally good at finding issues, but this one has me stumped...

I just replaced my videocard, so this is the first time in months I've restarted my computer. I almost forgot it had this problem. When I turn it back on, it won't post. All the fans and everything run at full 100% but it won't boot up to BIOS and post. Black screen and no usb power. If I jingle the power wires in the computer and put it up on it's front side, rather than sitting normal, it MIGHT boot. After replacing the video card, I spent a good hour trying to turn it back on. Otherwise, no go.

Any advice?

Does your MB have a speaker? I've worked on some boards that don't have a built in speaker. If you don't have one plugged in you don't notice the post codes :)

Also did I read your post correctly, you had this issue prior to the new video card?

Does your MB have a speaker? I've worked on some boards that don't have a built in speaker. If you don't have one plugged in you don't notice the post codes :)

Also did I read your post correctly, you had this issue prior to the new video card?

Yes. The solution I ended up using was NEVER turn the computer off. I've had this rendition of my computer for 3 years, and it started 2 years ago, I tried to neatly wire the rats nest coming from the PSU. It had this problem, so I pulled the wires back out from where I had them hidden, problem continued.

Plugging in speaker now, I don't remember if I tried to reset the CMOS or not, but I'll go ahead and try it again.

Cleared CMOS, nothing. Installed speaker, makes no sound.

Last edited:
Might be a grounding issue. Follow the steps in the stickied "Basic Troubleshooting Guide" on what to do when the PC does not POST.

Back