Current best 7" Tablet?

Discussion in 'Smart Phones and Devices' started by Zarathustra[H], Jun 18, 2017.

1. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] [H]ard|News Staff Member

Hey all,

I have a 7" 2013 Nexus 7 which has served me very well. Dropped it and smashed the screen a couple of years ago, and replaced the screen, but it has never been the same since, and now is starting to have other problems as well.

This coupled with the fact that it is no longer receiving security updates, and that the few Nougat projects for it seem to have stagnated and died in beta-like state, has me thinking that maybe its time to put it to rest. It had a good 4 year run.

Question is, is there anything at all like it out there to replace it? Ideally it would be a smallish tablet like the Nexus 7, with a OEM that cares enough to offer frequent security updates.

I don't really care much about the hardware or resolution. The 1080p and slowish older hardware the Nexus 7 has are already good enough for me. I mostly use it for navigation in my car, and a handful of other things like that. The larger screen of the Nexus 7 compared to a phone, makes it much easier to glance at to keep up with my directions than with a phone, and it frees up my phone to be the car music player, and allows me to take handsfree calls without interrupting my directions.

Question is, does anything like I want exist? Relatively low cost 7" tablet with modest hardware and frequent security updates?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Is the Dell Venue 8 7000 any good?

2. Zarathustra[H]

Scratch that one. It has an OLED screen. With my usage (mostly Wave navigation app) I'll burn that screen in in no time.

I'll need something with an LCD screen.

Asus Zenpad Z8 maybe? I remember having a positive experience with my Zenfone 2 a couple of years ago.

3. Zarathustra[H]

This one actually seems to meet my criteria pretty well.

Decent price, non-fancy hardware. Only bummer seems to be that Asus doesnt seem to be frequently updating the ROM on it like I am used to with Nexus devices. it is still stuck on 7.0, but it appears to be easy to root and flash custom roms on, and have a lively aftermarket ROM community, so this might be the one...

Still would appreciate any suggestions though.

4. Zarathustra[H]

Oh damn. US version seems to be Verizon only. I wonder if it is carrier locked, or if I can get it to work on other carriers LTE networks...

This seems to suggest it can

5. Zarathustra[H]

I may have to take this back. I was confusing the Zenpad 8 and Z8. The Z8 was the one that was interesting to me, but it is verizon only, and doesn't appear to have much of a ROM community, so I'm guessing its bootloader locked.

6. Tiberian

Tiberian Finger Me

Is it just me and I could be off about this but... but... are you actually having an entire thread discussing things with yourself? Am I butting in with this post? :D

John721 likes this.
  7. Zarathustra[H]

Nothing wrong with updating my post as I discover new relevant information :p

John721 likes this.
  8. Tiberian

Tiberian Finger Me

Yah, I know, just raggin' ya for a bit. :D

9. T4rd

T4rd [H]ardForum Junkie

iPads are the only tabs worth owning now. This is coming from someone who has never even owned an iPad and has a Shield Tablet; the only spiritual successor to the Nexus 7 2013. Samsung is the only one making Android tabs with decent hardware, but their software sucks (both in terms of UI and update support). The Pixel C is the only one I'd consider having now, but Google still thinks it's worth $600 after two years and it's the wrong form factory you're looking for.

The only alternative is to get another Nexus 7 2013 or Sheild Tab super cheap if you can and root/ROM them. Nvidia is still amazingly supporting the Shield Tab with updates (just got one a month or two ago), but I'd say after 3 years it has to be EOL'd soon.

With phones approaching the 7" display mark now, this tablet form factor has all but died it seems and Chromebooks are supposed to replace Android tabs otherwise now that they run Android apps. I don't think they offer the same functionality, but it's Google's will and they're basically forcing Android tabs to die.

The Lurker likes this.
  10. CHANG3D

CHANG3D [H]ardness Supreme

Android not having very many tablet specific apps makes it not a good ecosystem to buy into. Android tablets is to tablets what windows phones are to phones.

11. biggles

biggles [H]ard|Gawd

Having done some research on this topic recently the best Android upgrade options seem to be the following:
    1. Nvidia K1 shield. Pros: powerful for games, Nougat. Cons: older hardware, hard to find for sale new.
    2. Amazon Fire HD. Pros: low cost. Cons: locked into Amazon ecosystem, although Google Play can be installed if you tinker with it.
    3. Huawei Mediapad M3. Pros: screen, audio. Cons: not great for high end games, Huawei UI, uncertain Android updates.

There are some other decent Android tablets by Samsung with 4/3 10" screens. However, I share your affinity for the 7" ish screen size, widescreen.

As others have said iPads are better if you don't mind going with Apple. Personally, I am ready to get the Huawei if they update it to Nougat.

12. entropism

entropism 2[H]4U

The Shield is basically the best you can get right now for that size. I personally got a pair of free LG GPad Xs from T-Mobile, and they've been awesome for our needs. They'd be great for permanent mounting for GPS/entertainment.