Current 43" 4K options?

So if I want 43" 4k with HDR, the X800D is the best option?

Edit: for PC gaming and console ps4 pro..
Pretty much, unless you prefer an IPS panel. In that case, the 43X800E would be the one to get.

Almost all of the 43 inchers use the same TPVision panel, which has image retention issues.

The Phillips, Acer and Viewsonic use DC for brightness control, the Dell uses PWM with very noticeable flickering.

The LG 43ud79 uses an LG panel (no reported retention) but it also uses PWM.

All of these panels are basically repurposed 8bit + frc TV panels - BGR subpixel configuration, shadows around monitor edges etc.

LG could have knocked this out of the park, but they went with PWM.. Sigh. The wait continues...

What about LG commercial monitors?

http://www.lg.com/us/business/commercial-display/displays-tvs/commercial/lg-43LV340C

I bit on Frys sale at $450, but sucks that I can't pick it up and charged me a delivery for $56. ugh!.
Great price, congrats!

I'm thinking about snagging a 43X800E, too. I'd use it or my 43X800D as my monitor and the other for a bedroom TV.

Wow, that's a great price for the X800E. It's showing $748 for me. When was it on sale? Bummed that I missed it.
He got the X800D at that amazing price. The 800E still is $748 just about everywhere.

Went to Best Buy and looked for the Vizio E43-E2, supposed to have an IPS screen. Didn't find any, they only had last year's E43u-D2 which didn't look very good.
They did have the KV-43X720E on display. It was way up high so I couldn't examine the subpixel shape, but going on viewing angles, I have no doubt it's IPS. Looked like a very nice screen and regular price is $579. I would really like to see a review on that one.

Went to Best Buy and looked for the Vizio E43-E2, supposed to have an IPS screen. Didn't find any, they only had last year's E43u-D2 which didn't look very good.
They did have the KV-43X720E on display. It was way up high so I couldn't examine the subpixel shape, but going on viewing angles, I have no doubt it's IPS. Looked like a very nice screen and regular price is $579. I would really like to see a review on that one.

Sony rep replied to a question on amazon.com and stated the 720E + android TV = 800E; however, that seems hard to believe that is the only difference.

Sony rep replied to a question on amazon.com and stated the 720E + android TV = 800E; however, that seems hard to believe that is the only difference.
I saw another Sony rep comment that stated the KBR line of TVs was superior to the KV line. I've tried to find that comment and will post a link if I do.

Sharing the results of 2 display's I've picked up recently to replace my Seiki 4k 39" 30Hz display

43" 8-bit panel - Hisense 43-H7C

@ Costco(warehouse only not .com) for $248.00

Aside from a couple small picky items, this 43" monitor is a HUGE screen for a low price. If you can handle a few added pixels to "improve" the image, this is one heck of a display.
  • 4:4:4 image is good except for fuzzy blue background with red text. May be an macOS issue (need to retest 3840x2160 without HiDpi)
  • Grid uniformity test exposes Image processing cannot be 100% disabled. Light grey pixels added to corners of grid. (need to retest 3840x2160 without HiDpi)
  • PWM? If so is not noticeable.
  • HDMI 2.0 must be defined in system settings. GAME picture mode is suited for PC's.
  • HDR Settings - limited darkens image - Full lightens / desaturates image.
  • Deep Blacks, Bright whites and everything between.
  • Superior image scaler. Display's very clean 5k image.
  • Firmware reports 55" TV to the host OS.
  • Works well as daily desktop/work Monitor with no noticeable eye strain. No noticeable PWM.

43" 10-bit 4:4:4/HDR/1:1 - TCL 43S405
@ Target (90 day return policy) for $348.00

For those with discerning eyes, this is the cheapest path to a 10-bit 4:4:4 panel that display's a great image at 50% of the cost of a Sony X800D/E. Check out the in depth review at rtings.com.
  • Fastest refresh
  • 4:4:4 test is crisp without Hi Dpi display.
  • Firmware update on boot up from TCL.
  • PWM refresh at 120Hz is not noticeable (at least for me)
  • HDMI 1.4 is set as default for all inputs. Per port setup for HDMI 2.0 available in system settings. Setup port as a PC for best image quality.
  • Game mode delivers fastest refresh rate - turning off more image enhancements.
  • Exceeding viewing angles reveals LCD streaking on lighter colored backgrounds. Not visible from direct viewing
  • Works great as daily desktop/work Monitor with no noticeable eye strain.

• 4:4:4 image is good except for fuzzy blue background with red text. May be an macOS issue (need to retest 3840x2160 without HiDpi)
  • Grid uniformity test exposes Image processing cannot be 100% disabled. Light grey pixels added to corners of grid. (need to retest 3840x2160 without HiDpi)

I have the Sharp LC-43N6100U which is similar, if not the same. Only real difference I could tell is Sharp version has no chrome paint on the bottom bezel. I wish Hisense would find a way to disable the image processing. It's really the only thing that I could complain about it. I emailed them, but got no response. The fuzzy text is probably because MacOS font smoothing doesn't support BGR subpixel layout, and from what I've read, that can't be changed like it can in Windows. I'm pretty sure your Hisense is PWM since my 6100U is. You can try https://www.testufo.com/#test=blurtrail On mine, I can make out 3 lines each. I'm not sensitive to PWM either (that I know of), but I think that varies from person to person.

Sharing the results of 2 display's I've picked up recently to replace my Seiki 4k 39" 30Hz display

@ Target (90 day return policy) for $348.00

For those with discerning eyes, this is the cheapest path to a 10-bit 4:4:4 panel that display's a great image at 50% of the cost of a Sony X800D/E. Check out the in depth review at rtings.com.
  • Fastest refresh
  • HDMI 1.4 is set as default for all inputs. Per port setup for HDMI 2.0 available in system settings. Setup port as a PC for best image quality.
  • Game mode delivers fastest refresh rate - turning off more image enhancements.
  • Exceeding viewing angles reveals LCD streaking on lighter colored backgrounds. Not visible from direct viewing

I picked this monitor up a couple of weeks ago and am very happy with it. It works great in games and as a computer monitor. I have scaling set at 100%, and the text is still crisp.

Font rendering from macOS on the Hisense with or without smoothing looks good. Blurry ness was evident in the 444 test pattern on the Hisense. This may be from displaying in 3840 HiDpi vs displayed in 3840 1:1. I can’t retest until tues morning.

Sharing test results below:

TCL
6761704C-ED1A-41AA-9208-BCF9E4174A46.jpeg

Hisense
BA19197E-2E01-4022-B1F5-7C1D277880B8.png

Red arrows show pixels added by Hisense display path
screenshot9-3-1711.50 AM-1.png

Last edited:
Went to 2 Walmarts to try to get a good look at the Vizio E43-E2. At both Walmarts, it was mounted way, way up on the top row, way too far to really look at it. My initial impression is it doesn't look like an IPS screen. Viewing angles appear similar to all the other VA TVs around it. Either Cnet article is wrong, or my eyes deceive.

Sharp/Hisense definitely has some kind of anti-aliasing going on that can't be turned off, which is the only I'm not too happy about on mine. In the end I only paid $114 or so for it, so I'm pretty thrilled with it for that price and would even pick up another for work if I could.

Can someone please test the TCL for
a) 1440 p resolutions:
1) How would you game in 1440p without borders or black bars etc: Custom resolution?
2) How would u enable game mode for this 1440p custom resolution

b) confirm no ghosting or image retention

c) peak brightness does not seem too much: So can i leave it at 100% brightness to reduce PWM

• Fastest refresh

rtings says the brightness is less than 200nits. That's pretty piss poor and even less than a typical computer monitor, which is commonly between 250-300 nits

Is it really a bit dimmer ?

Still torn between picking up a LG 43UD79-B or a cheaper TCL 43S405. Have a GTX 1070 and probably will SLI at some point - so no need of freesync.
Primary uses are 4k for productivity (real estate) and 1440p gaming.
Concern i have is gaming in 1440p with the TCL or any 4k TV using GPU upscaling

are there any other downsides to going with the TV?

Downside of the LG monitor will be no HDR for netflix etc

any thoughts on how some of you manage this? or not worth it.. and get the LG and roughly double the cost

rtings says the brightness is less than 200nits. That's pretty piss poor and even less than a typical computer monitor, which is commonly between 250-300 nits

Are the whites white? yes. Are the blacks deep? Yep.

Honestly, if the screen was any brighter, my eyes would bleed. lol. No. It's not DIM by any standard.

Are the whites white? yes. Are the blacks deep? Yep.

Honestly, if the screen was any brighter, I would get a headache. lol. No. It's not DIM. Could it be brighter? Yes. Do I need it brighter? Nope. The image is bright enough and comfortable to work with for hours without strain. LCD technology is advancing quickly. Prices on great technology are racing to the bottom.

Still torn between picking up a LG 43UD79-B or a cheaper TCL 43S405. Have a GTX 1070 and probably will SLI at some point - so no need of freesync.
Primary uses are 4k for productivity (real estate) and 1440p gaming.
Concern i have is gaming in 1440p with the TCL or any 4k TV using GPU upscaling

are there any other downsides to going with the TV?

Downside of the LG monitor will be no HDR for netflix etc

any thoughts on how some of you manage this? or not worth it.. and get the LG and roughly double the cost

Honestly... the TCL is a great display for the price and it has a 90 day return policy from Target. Yes Target. I'm still shaking my head that Target, of all places, is the retail hotspot for 43" LCD's. btw... 90 day's is after black Friday.

So how would the X800E compare to the Dell P4317Q? I have the Dell 43" at work and love it. Dell outlet has them for about $650 a few times a week now? Which one is better for strictly a PC monitor?

Reactions: HA5
like this
Did you get to retest and see if you could turn off the blurring or sharpening ?

Font rendering from macOS on the Hisense with or without smoothing looks good. Blurry ness was evident in the 444 test pattern on the Hisense. This may be from displaying in 3840 HiDpi vs displayed in 3840 1:1. I can’t retest until tues morning.

Sharing test results below:

Hisense
View attachment 35332

Red arrows show pixels added by Hisense display path
View attachment 35333

Did you get to retest and see if you could turn off the blurring or sharpening ?

I've retested the Hisense display with a MacPro/RX470 and a MacBook Pro RX460 and have not been able to disable enhancements made to the image. While these enhancements looks great on Games & TV content, it effects the crisp display of small fonts, performing a luminosity blending of pixels, adding detail where it doesn't belong. The effect can be reduced / burned out by decreasing color saturation and increasing brightness equivalently by 10.

Through channels, I've reached out to the manufacturer to acknowledge and hopefully resolve the issue with a firmware update.

Last edited:
that sucks. The extra dots have been a long known problem.
I think it even affects the H8C, which is an old frickin model.

It would suck if they let this go on so long.

There aren't many cheap options for 40-43" right now.
I just ordered a TCL 43" to play with, and hopefully it isn't as dim as the larger models reviewed on rtings.com

Someone who has a TCL43S405 or other 4k TVs please explain how to play games in 1440p from a PC ?
would u leave the TV at 4k and change the game resolution to 2560x1440p? or something else
would u leave the TV in PC mode or game mode? for best results
is there any banding or stretching
gonna pull the trigger but want answer on this from an actual user who games at 1440p

Someone who has a TCL43S405 or other 4k TVs please explain how to play games in 1440p from a PC ?
would u leave the TV at 4k and change the game resolution to 2560x1440p? or something else
would u leave the TV in PC mode or game mode? for best results
is there any banding or stretching
gonna pull the trigger but want answer on this from an actual user who games at 1440p
I have a GTX 970, and most games I play, I can play at 3840x2160. I also play a number of games in a window, since the screen is so large. But I play Dying Light at 1920x1080, and it looks fantastic on the 43S405. My understanding is that 1080p is going to look better than 1440p on a 4k monitor.

If I get time this afternoon, I'll set it to 1440p and report back to you on what I find out.

would u leave the TV at 4k and change the game resolution to 2560x1440p? or something else Just change your game resolution, like any other monitor
would u leave the TV in PC mode or game mode? for best results I just leave it in PC mode
is there any banding or stretching No banding or stretching

Dying Light looked really good at 1440p, I don't think you should have an issue.

TCL 43s405 and Samsung un43mu6300 coming this week.
I'll be doing a side by side comparison soon to see which is the better value.

Samsung most likely has a samsung panel, and the TCL has some chinese panel.

I have been using the un43mu6300 for a few days now. I just grabbed whatever HDMI cable I had, which I assume is a 1.4 cable. So, that could be affecting things.
Here are my observations:
1- it's nice having a large screen to work on. Never understood people that like screens that make up 5% of their field of vision, when they are focusing 95% of their attention on the screen.
2- I don't think I can tell the difference between 1440 and 4k. Perhaps 4k is not needed for a basic user like me? Is 1440 even needed?
3- When I am scrolling down in notepad fast, the notepad seems to be "refilling" the white from top to bottom, kind of slower than I have seen in a long time (comparable to having no video card?).
4- I think I feel some eye strain. There is supposedly non-problematic or no PWM at the backlight setting that I am using (according to rtings.com). I read about tests for testing the frequency of the PWM but seems like you need to be a visiophile (sp?) to be able to see the differences of what they are talking about. There was one test where I was using my smart phone camera pointed at the TV and I could see lines scrolling from left to right, which indicates flicker or PWM (not sure which). But, I question the article in the first place as it was saying some things that were not true. I am wondering what besides PWM causes eye strain.
5- the speakers don't sound very good. I was really hoping that the speakers would sound ok but maybe it's almost not possible when you don't have the speakers sitting on a large surface (like a table or floor)?
6- I see a lot of reflection in the TV in the black part of the picture. I wouldn't have thought that there would be this much reflection given that I don't have any lights on the in room. I consider this a pretty minor drawback but how do I avoid it?

I'm leaning towards forgoing 4k for something that has good reputation for comfort on eyes.
I'd also like to test RGB vs RGBw.
Are there non-video, non-graphics editing, non-gaming situations where you would care about having 4k and RGB?

Last edited:
I have been using the un43mu6300 for a few days now.

4- I think I feel some eye strain. There is supposedly non-problematic or no PWM at the backlight setting that I am using (according to rtings.com). I read about tests for testing the frequency of the PWM but seems like you need to be a visiophile (sp?) to be able to see the differences of what they are talking about. There was one test where I was using my smart phone camera pointed at the TV and I could see lines scrolling from left to right, which indicates flicker or PWM (not sure which). But, I question the article in the first place as it was saying some things that were not true. I am wondering what besides PWM causes eye strain.

I'm leaning towards forgoing 4k for something that has good reputation for comfort on eyes.

IMHO, reducing eye strain = no PWM/flicker free + low response time. Rtings motion blur demonstrates this the best:

http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/mu6300/mu6300-motion-blur-large.jpg
http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/x850e/x850e-motion-blur-large.jpg
http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/x720e/x720e-motion-blur-large.jpg
vs
http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/e6/e6-motion-blur-large.jpg (OLED)

You can clearly see the duplications on the MU6300 but clears up with Sony's and definitely with that OLED LG. The only safe bet for TV's is getting Sony for eye comfort without spending ridiculous amounts for OLED.

Reactions: HA5
like this
IMHO, reducing eye strain = no PWM/flicker free + low response time. Rtings motion blur demonstrates this the best:

http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/mu6300/mu6300-motion-blur-large.jpg
http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/x850e/x850e-motion-blur-large.jpg
http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/x720e/x720e-motion-blur-large.jpg
vs
http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/e6/e6-motion-blur-large.jpg (OLED)

You can clearly see the duplications on the MU6300 but clears up with Sony's and definitely with that OLED LG. The only safe bet for TV's is getting Sony for eye comfort without spending ridiculous amounts for OLED.
Still doesn't make sense to me. All of those images that you linked to look blurry.
If we are keeping the TV above 12/20 backlight setting then I thought there is no flicker. Maybe the flicker is at a very high frequency when you are on the brighter backlight settings? For example, at a backlight setting of 18/20, the flicker frequency is 500 Hz, which is considered pretty comfortable on the eyes. That might not even be considered flicker at that high of a frequency. The rtings information kind of doesn't make sense. They say that once you are below 12/20 then there is flicker at 120 Hz. Well, as you drop to lower backlight brightnesses, doesn't the flicker frequency have to get lower and lower. Maybe I am incorrect in my understanding. I wish I had a good camera where you can control the shutter speed to test.

Still doesn't make sense to me. All of those images that you linked to look blurry.
If we are keeping the TV above 12/20 backlight setting then I thought there is no flicker. Maybe the flicker is at a very high frequency when you are on the brighter backlight settings? For example, at a backlight setting of 18/20, the flicker frequency is 500 Hz, which is considered pretty comfortable on the eyes. That might not even be considered flicker at that high of a frequency. The rtings information kind of doesn't make sense. They say that once you are below 12/20 then there is flicker at 120 Hz. Well, as you drop to lower backlight brightnesses, doesn't the flicker frequency have to get lower and lower. Maybe I am incorrect in my understanding. I wish I had a good camera where you can control the shutter speed to test.

The flicker frequency doesn't change depending on the brightness. 120Hz flicker @ 60fps does reduce blur a little, despite the double image.

If your MU6300 was flicker free, the 100% backlight image would be a straight line.

http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/mu6300/mu6300-backlight-large.jpg
vs
http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/x720e/x720e-backlight-large.jpg

Focus less on the blur and more on the double/trailing images. As video/motion is shown, your eyes are constantly seeing that double/trailing image. Some don't see it, some get used to it, and some have migraines that last 3 days. I fall into the latter. Just looking at that MU6300 logo sample makes my eyes hurt while the Sony/OLED look fine.

Back