Current 43" 4K options?

I believe according to rtings.com, TCL's 4K models have the lowest input lag of all TV manufacturers.

Any of the TCLs support 4:4:4? Most I've seen do not.
The Vizio D43-E2 that was mentioned a few posts back sounds interesting.

Last edited:
Do any of these support freesync? The only one that I know does for sure is the wasabi mango, but I've seen "rumors" that others might. Specifically the LG 43UD79 was initially reported to, but I have yet to see someone confirm or deny it.

Right now the best 4k TVs for pc gaming have a lag of 20.5ms or more. There may be some out there that can do less then 20ms but they are not of good quality as far as pc gaming goes. So for now we are stuck at 20ms lag. Hopefully that time will come down with newer products.

Well, I bit on an 43x800D (you bastards!). Using it now. Won't work on HDMI2 in enhanced mode and 4k, I imagine I need a certain caliber of HDMI cable... anyone know what spec is needed for 4k60 and HDR etc?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Awesome. I'll probably pick one up. One of my other cables at least isn't flickering and is usable. All my dang games are launching all crazy though. So far tried the Witcher 3 and Wolfenstein Old Blood. I keep getting tiny corners of the screen making it hard to adjust settings. Witcher 3 I know I manage to get it in 4k but it was still just a part of the sceen. Grr. Looks like I will need to do some tinkering.

edit: Think I just needed a good restart. Sorry for mucking up this thread. You know how when youre excited to get something and it fights you the first hour! I definitely have to fight with it. Like with the witcher 3 i had to keep alt-tabbing so i could hover over it in the task bar and see where things are in the menus and try to click stuff blind lol. Oh well I got the two games I've tried working. Hopefully new ones will work from starting that way.

Last edited:
Make sure you update your TV to the latest software/firmware, too. It really seemed to make a difference on mine. Also, keep your TV set to Game or Graphics. I prefer Game and then I tweaked the Picture Adjustment settings to my liking. Hope this helps!

Well, I bit on an 43x800D (you bastards!). Using it now. Won't work on HDMI2 in enhanced mode and 4k, I imagine I need a certain caliber of HDMI cable... anyone know what spec is needed for 4k60 and HDR etc?

These are the cables you want. Certified to pass 18G: I'm using 5 instances of both the 6 and 10 footers, passing a full 18G of bandwidth. 2160p 4:4:4 60hz

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024021&p_id=15428&seq=1&format=2

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GCGKI3O/ref=twister_B06XJFNL15?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Congrats on the X800D - Loving mine!

Here's mine, along with my new Elac speakers. Everything is pretty messy since I'm packing up for a move in a few weeks. I bought an adjustable stand to replace the one on that's now on the TV.

uDYa9HG.jpg

Bought my Sony X800D 3 months ago and am very happy with it. At first it would show recommended res at 1080 and had to manually set 4k@444. Then a few weeks later an update came out which fixed that.
That is the same braided cable I got 3 months ago and it works great. Amazon has some shows 4k HDR and the cable passes it through. Now I just use the tv app.
What I don't like is the remote.
I do like turning on my Firetv and having the tv turn on too.

i've been pretty happy with the 800E, i use mine in desktop and movie/tv viewing more than gaming these days no image retention issues. input lag is not noticeable to me but i'm not very sensitive to it. one thing i did recently notice though that is worth noting i was was playing some ARMA 3 and when it was dark outside (in game) i did notice a lot of visible blurring of pixels on the sea of blades of grass in the frame as i moved around, its the first game and situation where this has cropped up for me so far but worth mentioning. being an IPS display it naturally is better with bright things than dark just like any other IPS and dark viewing is where its flaws show up, same with black uniformity it has a sort of odd vertical banding issue with an all black/mostly black screen.

I've been looking hard at this one : LG 43UD79

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-LED-lit-Monitor-43UD79-B/dp/B0711MP768

Amazon lists it for $679 which is way too much. Fry's had it in their ad a week or two ago for $599 with no tax, but of course there were none in stock anywhere in DFW and not available to ship.

43", does DP, mini DP, 4 or more HDMI, 4 way 1080 screens, freesync, etc. Has a ton of inputs. Looks like a winner, but my price point is about $500. And then I have to unload 2 x 27" 1440p Acer monitors...

More than some of the cheaper TV options but being able to do 2,3, or 4 way split screen / PIP is really cool, and you have to love DP support. I'm on Team Green so Freesync means nothing to me, but should be a nice addition for Team Red players.

Edit - supposedly this one has flickering problems. Guess it gets crossed off my list, sad face :(

Last edited:

Amazon lists it for $679 which is way too much. Fry's had it in their ad a week or two ago for $599 with no tax, but of course there were none in stock anywhere in DFW and not available to ship.

43", does DP, mini DP, 4 or more HDMI, 4 way 1080 screens, freesync, etc. Has a ton of inputs. Looks like a winner, but my price point is about $500. And then I have to unload 2 x 27" 1440p Acer monitors...

More than some of the cheaper TV options but being able to do 2,3, or 4 way split screen / PIP is really cool, and you have to love DP support. I'm on Team Green so Freesync means nothing to me, but should be a nice addition for Team Red players.

Beware, this one has apparently a very low frequency PWM, even at full brightness.

Check this thread: https://hardforum.com/threads/lg-43ud79-information.1929600/page-5#post-1043122153

I, along with a few others, tried that LG. Most returned it. I did, too.

Last edited:
It looks like nothing has changed in the last 2 years if you want no PWM and low-lag: you've got Crossover and Wasabi Mango.

Oh, you're right, TCL 43S405 4K@60Hz 4:4:4 15.1ms lag. Has PWM flicker, unfortunately.

I just picked up a TCL 43S405 yesterday, and got it set up following the rtings.com setup. I'm impressed so far, especially for $350. I don't notice the PWM flicker at all, and I'm normally sensitive to those things.

The Vizio d43-e2 has no PWM flicker, and seems to have decent input lag at 4k@60 4:4:4.

Last edited:
What's the difference between RGB and BRG ?
Are the fonts looking different ( color - red - blue ) ?
Thank you

The only drawback I can see for the 800D is the viewing angles. For those with the 800D, how are the viewing angles when used as a desktop monitor? When sitting straight ahead of the monitor, do you see major shifts on sides of screen? How far away are you sitting? The Rtings review said black levels double at 10 degrees, this sounds pretty bad.

The only drawback I can see for the 800D is the viewing angles. For those with the 800D, how are the viewing angles when used as a desktop monitor? When sitting straight ahead of the monitor, do you see major shifts on sides of screen? How far away are you sitting? The Rtings review said black levels double at 10 degrees, this sounds pretty bad.
I'm about 2 feet away from my 800D and don't notice any color shifts. Don't know what Rtings means about black levels doubling at 10 degrees, though. The 800D isn't perfect, but is about the best it gets for 43" 4K use right now. I hope we see some upgraded 43" TVs in 2018.

I've got both the 800D and 800E. Both excellent displays. I don't really notice any color shift on either one, surprisingly. My 40JU7500 had FAR more color shift, and it was curved. Once you get the D/E dialed they're beautiful. Pixel response is just a tad slow on them both, but not a deal breaker. It's 12-13ms - I really prefer 10ms or below, but I can deal because of their other strengths. My 40JU7500 had slightly faster pixel response - enough to be noticed.

I've got both the 800D and 800E. Both excellent displays. I don't really notice any color shift on either one, surprisingly. My 40JU7500 had FAR more color shift, and it was curved. Once you get the D/E dialed they're beautiful. Pixel response is just a tad slow on them both, but not a deal breaker. It's 12-13ms - I really prefer 10ms or below, but I can deal because of their other strengths. My 40JU7500 had slightly faster pixel response - enough to be noticed.

After using both Which monitor is better as a computer monitor or for gaming with a PC? Since both are available I'm on the fence,

I've only gamed on the D as I have the E for work. I wanted the better blacks / contrast the VA provides for night gaming.
That said, I'm very impressed with the E too, but have never seen it in dark viewing so I cannot comment on the blacks / contrast.
According to rtings, they're pixel response is almost identical. The D has slightly better anti glare.

Only other 43" TV I'd consider for computer use is the Samsung 43KU7500. I'd love to see a comparison between it and the Sony X800D/X800E.

I've had 3 Samsungs (40JU7500, 48JS9000, 49KS8500) and never had a problem with PWM. Lucky, I guess. ;)

Saw this Cnet review, says the Vizio E43-E2 43" is IPS.
https://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-e43-e2/review/

The one rtings reviewed (larger size) had a 480Hz backlight and they gave it a better flicker score than the X800D and X800E.
IPS + good flicker score makes me wonder if this is a low-budget gem. Has anyone given this display a try with a PC? Would love to see a more PC-oriented review of it.

Reactions: HA5
like this
Doesn't look to bad. Based off the older C2\D2 reviews it looks like it would do a decent job as a monitor. Definitely hard to beat if you find it on sale. Those bezels though, ugh Vizio do something about those. So ugly and cheap looking.

Would love a P series model.

Saw this TV on bestbuy and was thinking of picking it up, but does anyone have any thoughts / information on it: Sony 43" 4K UHD HDR LED Smart TV (KD43X720E) and how it compares to the X800D / X800E?

has anyone tried the current Insignia 43" tv at bestbuy?

Is it the same shitty display quality as last year's, where it couldn't display text crisply ?

Seems like there's nothing good at a budget in the 40-43 inch range.

So if I want 43" 4k with HDR, the X800D is the best option?

Edit: for PC gaming and console ps4 pro..

Back