Cube World

I wondered when they would release it. Strange that the price isn't shown unless you register an account.

I could be mistaken...but there is no mining in this game correct? At least I haven't seen any...so if there isn't, what is the point of making the game all blocky? Makes no sense. Why do people feel the need to copy Minecrafts art direction so badly?

I could be mistaken...but there is no mining in this game correct? At least I haven't seen any...so if there isn't, what is the point of making the game all blocky? Makes no sense. Why do people feel the need to copy Minecrafts art direction so badly?

They have mining nodes you can mine. But the main reason it's blocky is because the world is randomly generated like Minecraft. My main concern with the game is since you can't build it better have really deep and robust rpg elements to keep me interested.

Ehh, even randomly generated I fail to see why blocks are needed. In Minecraft I see them as being essential simply because it's easier to render, save, and less prone to errors if it's simply blocks.

But for just randomly generated land scape? There are plenty of games that use more real world environments that don't use blocks...have been for years way before even Minecraft.

Minecraft ripped off the block idea from Infiniminer, every game copies from another game.

Registrations are open again. Someone take one for the team and find out if it's any good. :p

Ehh, even randomly generated I fail to see why blocks are needed. In Minecraft I see them as being essential simply because it's easier to render, save, and less prone to errors if it's simply blocks.

But for just randomly generated land scape? There are plenty of games that use more real world environments that don't use blocks...have been for years way before even Minecraft.

I fail to see your logic. Cubeworld is a voxel game, it uses voxels and procedural environments to create a dynamic rpg game. Minecraft is a game about mining things and building things. They may look similar but that's all in how the developers chose to create thier aesthetic. If your not happy about the game being block based that's fine. I personally see it as just a choice for the developer, easier for indy development maybe, or maybe they wanted that look.

It'd be the same as saying cell shaded games are dumb because other games use realistic textures and lighting. It's a choice the developers went with. I personally think the game looks like a blast, but the problem is people are going to think it's minecraft, and it's a COMPLETELY different type of game.

I got the game at one of the times the site was actually up, but have yet to play it (about to!).

The better game to compare it to is 3d dot game heroes, imo

3ddotgameheroes_promoscreen.jpg

What's the verdict? Worth it?

I watched a couple Let's Play videos of a mage; it seemed like a giant kite fest. Five minutes of running around in circles to kill a boss.

Edit: Looks like the shop is closed again. :(

Last edited:
Verdict .... after 15 minutes my first impression are : very well done game!

the controls are smooth and the exploration is incredibly fun. I already stumble into an AI party of 3 hunting. Oh ... and i almost got destroyed.... by a racoon...

Watch out for turtles, too. Barely escaped with my life. Granted, I didn't know what I was doing or what the controls were but still.. they're tough.

Rolled a rogue, getting gear drops for every other class. Typical. My opinion, it's... okay. Certainly not worth $20 in its current form, but I'm sure later builds will be better.

I'm going to restart as a ranger or mage; my rogue dies in five seconds if I have to fight more than two standard mobs. And on that note, does anyone know how to trade items between your characters?

Edit: Oh yeah, water mage is where it's at.

Last edited:
Well that was fast, now I can play.

Welcome to the Cube World Alpha!

Patchnotes:
- Added an option to invert the y-axis
- Fixed a bug where MP could be regenerated with the 'O' key
- Fixed a bug where players could sell non-existing items from their inventory
- Improved some launcher issues

Most full featured alpha I have ever played.

Perhaps, due to it being an alpha, my initial (and continued) impression on the game just continued to get better and better.

Worth the 19.90, for me!

I'm starting to like it more, but some of the bosses are way overtuned. Just spent 20-30 minutes (didn't count, so possibly longer) kiting an even-level boss around a tree.

Also, XP is either broken or counterintuitive. 1XP for killing a human, 3XP for killing a cat? Okay...

I'm starting to like it more, but some of the bosses are way overtuned. Just spent 20-30 minutes (didn't count, so possibly longer) kiting an even-level boss around a tree.

Also, XP is either broken or counterintuitive. 1XP for killing a human, 3XP for killing a cat? Okay...
Agreed. If a boss has a teal name, it is supposed to be an even fight. Just spent 15-20min fighting a boss, and when he gets to ~10% HP, he changes weapons, gets a new move-set, and refills HP. Spent another 10min or so on that form, got him to 50% HP and then got stuck against the wall and couldn't move while he whacked me to death. Was livid, had to turn the game off hah.

And I also agree a pause function (for SP anyway) would be welcome!

Really wish I could download this. I need something to kill time this weekend and this would be ideal.

Thats why i jumped on it without asking question this morning.

I was able to make a new account as of 5 mins ago.

Still no option to purchase or download that I can see however.

**EDIT**

Managed to purchase through here...

https://picroma.com/buycubeworld

Once you make an account, and then purchase (PayPal only it looks like), it auto links to your account.

Last edited:
Got my copy in small windows of time the website was up.

WOW. Really good alpha. My biggest issue with the game is that you can't rebind keys...and I play left hand mouse...so trying to WASD with the right hand, and thumb spacebar is awkward to say the least. Supposedly there was xbox controller support (better than nothing) but was removed before this alpha release. Not sure why.

All in all, i'm excited for what becomes of the game, has great potential.

Anyone running a server?

I was able to snag it this morning. I'm a level 4 Undead Ranger. I really don't know what I'm supposed to do. Found a town and a mission. The mission requires me to kill something on a giant tree and it's much more powerful than I am. It'll be interesting to see what they do with this game.

Anyone got a seed # with a lot of quest areas close to the main town?

I just did 123, took me 10 minutes to get to a quest, then I wandered around for another 30 trying to find the boss. Still can't find him. :(

Anyone running a server?

I'd be up for some multiplayer. Level 9 water mage.

It looks like from the main page, that he updated it, and says some asshole is doing ddos attacks on the server.

Who is so &#%*#() that they would mess with an indie developer like this.

Not to mention im pissed off because i cant buy the game

^ Probably the creator of Minecraft with his panties in a bunch doing the DDoS. lol

Well considering they almost merged through a buyout before both parties decided against it....your wrong.

That's interesting. Why did they decide not to? Could have made for an even greater game I think. Cube World lacks the mining aspect, and I don't think the maker is ever going to implement it. Were they afraid of cannibalizing each other's sales?

SO is this an MMO in a traditional sense? Or just a single play game with multiplayer features?

SO is this an MMO in a traditional sense? Or just a single play game with multiplayer features?

Max of 4 players per game if I remember reading correctly. It's about as MMO as Diablo 3 is MMO.

Hmm...originally seeing this I wasn't that impressed but the Alpha is looking pretty good.

One of my main problems with Minecraft was that once you built all you wanted to build, there wasn't really anything to do.

Back