Crysis Remastered

The trailer looks good but honestly it doesn't look that much better than the original. Guess that's a testimony to how great the original looked that it still holds up today.

I'm curious to see the pricing on this now. I don't think it's worth $60 for just some polish. Hopefully I'm wrong and there's a lot more "remastered" than what the trailer showed.
Lighting and textures are the most obviously improved, in my opinion. It gives the game a lot more realistic depth to it. The original did look a little flat.

We currently do not know how much the game will cost, but it would be an instant buy for me if it were $40 or less.

Lighting and textures are the most obviously improved, in my opinion. It gives the game a lot more realistic depth to it. The original did look a little flat.

We currently do not know how much the game will cost, but it would be an instant buy for me if it were $40 or less.

Agreed. I still play the original every now and then although I do use a couple cheat codes (I make stealth and speed last longer than 1/3 of a second so they're actually usable and I increase the ammo capacity mainly for the sniper rifle.... Again so you can actually use it) I still love the game and consider it an all time great.

So yeah, hopefully I'm just not seeing the changes in that trailer and pricing will be reasonable. I am a huge Crysis fan and want this to be successful so maybe Crytec will venture into the FPS genre again.

Agreed. I still play the original every now and then although I do use a couple cheat codes (I make stealth and speed last longer than 1/3 of a second so they're actually usable and I increase the ammo capacity mainly for the sniper rifle.... Again so you can actually use it) I still love the game and consider it an all time great.

So yeah, hopefully I'm just not seeing the changes in that trailer and pricing will be reasonable. I am a huge Crysis fan and want this to be successful so maybe Crytec will venture into the FPS genre again.
I mean, 7 out of the 12 games Crytek have made have all been first-person shooters. Their most recent game which came out end of August last year, Hunt: Showdown , is a FPS.

The trailer's graphics looks disappointing. It seems like a technical remaster so it can play on consoles and newer PCs more smoothly.

Reactions: djoye
like this
I mean, 7 out of the 12 games Crytek have made have all been first-person shooters. Their most recent game which came out end of August last year, Hunt: Showdown , is a FPS.

Ah yeah I forgot about Hunt Showdown. I was thinking Crysis 3 was the last game they made like 8 years ago. Either way, I'd like to see Crytec come out with some more Crysis like games.

Was hoping it would be built from the ground up with all new assets. Looks more like an HD port with some moderate graphical upgrades. 3D models looked mostly the same, as did the environment. Low resolution video so couldn't really see the textures, assume they got an upgrade but didn't look much better either.

Disappointing, but better than nothing.

The trailer looks rough, but I'll accept a free working upgrade to my busted Steam copy.

I wouldn't pass too much judgement on a compressed 720p video. Wait for the official HQ one tomorrow.

Also, you have one camp of people that would want the original graphics kept in place with better performance, and a second camp that would want the whole thing totally remade in a new engine.

Based on what I can see the game is going to stay true to the original with hopefully significantly improved performance.

I wouldn't pass too much judgement on a compressed 720p video. Wait for the official HQ one tomorrow.

Also, you have one camp of people that would want the original graphics kept in place with better performance, and a second camp that would want the whole thing totally remade in a new engine.

Based on what I can see the game is going to stay true to the original with hopefully significantly improved performance.

Is there really a noteworthy amount of people who just want a slightly retouched version of the original game? I haven't tried... does the original not run properly as is? Even if it doesn't... what your talking is essentially a compatibility patch. I don't see why people would pay for that, and I don't see why Crytek would invest money in something people wouldn't pay for. Based on this thread alone, most hoped for a fully remade game on the latest Cryengine, and that doesn't look like what we are getting at all. Based on the leaked trailer (which I'll admit is hard to judge off of), it really looks like something in between the two. Outdoor environments seemed like they look pretty good. Indoor environments showed there age though... this is were you see low-poly assets and a general blandness that modern games don't have.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the way it looks... I just hope Crytek doesn't think they are sitting on a $60 title. A top to bottom, AAA remake would justify that. Prettying up the original does not.

Is there really a noteworthy amount of people who just want a slightly retouched version of the original game? I haven't tried... does the original not run properly as is? Even if it doesn't... what your talking is essentially a compatibility patch. I don't see why people would pay for that, and I don't see why Crytek would invest money in something people wouldn't pay for. Based on this thread alone, most hoped for a fully remade game on the latest Cryengine, and that doesn't look like what we are getting at all. Based on the leaked trailer (which I'll admit is hard to judge off of), it really looks like something in between the two. Outdoor environments seemed like they look pretty good. Indoor environments showed there age though... this is were you see low-poly assets and a general blandness that modern games don't have.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the way it looks... I just hope Crytek doesn't think they are sitting on a $60 title. A top to bottom, AAA remake would justify that. Prettying up the original does not.

I wanted to see the original Crysis get the Halo remastered treatment. Essentially, the same gameplay and feel with updated assets, engine, lighting, etc.

It does not run well at all. The game is almost exclusively single core limited. Some levels are hard to get over 30-40FPS on modern hardware. It also has a pretty nasty bug that causes it to keep switching to a locked 30FPS. I would not call porting the game over to a 10 year newer engine a 'compatibility patch' either. They are going to take advantage of many of the new CryEngine features like improved lighting, but I do not expect updated textures.

I do think that if they ported it to a modern version of the engine, and retained all of the AI and 'sandboxness' of the original, that enough people would buy it. Especially considering they are putting it on console.

https://twitter.com/Crysis/status/1278342913144033281

They've delayed the official trailer(s). :ROFLMAO: Guess the response to the leaked trailer was somehow surprising.

You know, reading their entire statement, I see all good things. Listening to feedback and taking it into consideration is a really big deal (time will tell if they actually are doing this, or if it's just words). Likewise, I'm never against product delays. I'd rather have things good than soon.

You know, reading their entire statement, I see all good things. Listening to feedback and taking it into consideration is a really big deal (time will tell if they actually are doing this, or if it's just words). Likewise, I'm never against product delays. I'd rather have things good than soon.
In this case I tend to think that Crytek believed that this would have been an easy cash grab for them.

In this case I tend to think that Crytek believed that this would have been an easy cash grab for them.

I'm inclined to believe the same.

Which is why I am hoping the tweet above was an acknowledgement that they need to rethink that stance. I'm not sure how much they can do about it at this point... we're three weeks away from the original release, which would suggest that the game was probably finished at this point. How much time and effort are they going to put into further polishing something they thought they were done with?

It does not run well at all. The game is almost exclusively single core limited. Some levels are hard to get over 30-40FPS on modern hardware. It also has a pretty nasty bug that causes it to keep switching to a locked 30FPS. I would not call porting the game over to a 10 year newer engine a 'compatibility patch' either. They are going to take advantage of many of the new CryEngine features like improved lighting, but I do not expect updated textures.

I do think that if they ported it to a modern version of the engine, and retained all of the AI and 'sandboxness' of the original, that enough people would buy it. Especially considering they are putting it on console.

Interesting to hear that it's problematic on modern hardware. None-the-less, I don't see making it run on modern hardware and tossing in a handful of new effects to be a huge draw, especially on PC.

Perhaps we are remembering Crysis differently. I remember a very average shooter with a stupid story, where-in the only claim to fame it really had was how remarkably good it looked for its time, and how hard it punished our PCs for years to come. Anything shy of a top-to-bottom remake will not have that same "I have to see this in action" appeal that it originally had. What you're left with is an okay-ish looking game with okay-ish gameplay (truthfully probably a bit dated), with a still stupid story. How much are people really willing to pay to revisit Crysis without the insane visuals to draw you in? How much nostalgia really is there for Crysis as a game, not a benchmark / tech demo?

The Switch version is the only one with a pre-order right now, and it is $45. I think it's safe to assume that's the intended price point on all systems. I really don't see PC gamers lining up to pay $45 for a 13 year old game. Even with consoles... all three games are playable on Xbox One, supposedly with performance enhancements. Given that console players are generally less fussy about visuals and performance... at least on team Xbox, are they really going to be lining up for this when the cost of admission is $45? The only platform I see as interesting is the Switch. The Switch trailer looks surprisingly good. It gives off the same "I can't believe how good this looks [for a Switch]" that the original had on PC. The Switch version also at least adds a new hook, being able to play on the go, that might help people justify replaying this game. I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Switch heavily outsell the other platforms on this one. On PC, this has "wait for the Steam sale" written all over it.

they didn't just delay the trailer, they delayed the game itself by a few weeks...is it going to look any different in a few weeks?

Crysis Remastered delayed after fans react poorly to leaked trailer
https://www.polygon.com/2020/7/1/21...-nintendo-switch-ps4-xbox-one-pc-release-date

I suspect the LoD was lowered for the Switch so I suspect increasing the LoD for PCs is probably simple however I seriously doubt it'll look much better, don't expect ray tracing. Probably will play better for newer PCs though. I remember starting the original game using my original discs was a PITA last I played 2 years ago.

I suspect the LoD was lowered for the Switch so I suspect increasing the LoD for PCs is probably simple however I seriously doubt it'll look much better, don't expect ray tracing. Probably will play better for newer PCs though. I remember starting the original game using my original discs was a PITA last I played 2 years ago.

I thought Crytek stated that ray-tracing would be included?

Interesting to hear that it's problematic on modern hardware. None-the-less, I don't see making it run on modern hardware and tossing in a handful of new effects to be a huge draw, especially on PC.

Perhaps we are remembering Crysis differently. I remember a very average shooter with a stupid story, where-in the only claim to fame it really had was how remarkably good it looked for its time, and how hard it punished our PCs for years to come. Anything shy of a top-to-bottom remake will not have that same "I have to see this in action" appeal that it originally had. What you're left with is an okay-ish looking game with okay-ish gameplay (truthfully probably a bit dated), with a still stupid story. How much are people really willing to pay to revisit Crysis without the insane visuals to draw you in? How much nostalgia really is there for Crysis as a game, not a benchmark / tech demo?

The Switch version is the only one with a pre-order right now, and it is $45. I think it's safe to assume that's the intended price point on all systems. I really don't see PC gamers lining up to pay $45 for a 13 year old game. Even with consoles... all three games are playable on Xbox One, supposedly with performance enhancements. Given that console players are generally less fussy about visuals and performance... at least on team Xbox, are they really going to be lining up for this when the cost of admission is $45? The only platform I see as interesting is the Switch. The Switch trailer looks surprisingly good. It gives off the same "I can't believe how good this looks [for a Switch]" that the original had on PC. The Switch version also at least adds a new hook, being able to play on the go, that might help people justify replaying this game. I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Switch heavily outsell the other platforms on this one. On PC, this has "wait for the Steam sale" written all over it.
I didn't have issues running it on a Titan X and 4770, but the framerate was certainly not at what it should have been. At 2560x1440 I was getting around 50-70 FPS with drops into the 40s and 30s.

I wanted to see the original Crysis get the Halo remastered treatment. Essentially, the same gameplay and feel with updated assets, engine, lighting, etc.

I was hoping for the Resident Evil 2 treatment.

This kind of looks like the Halo Remastered games, but maybe not as good as those even. Though yes, the level of updates varies from each Halo game.

I finished that mission many times just fine. I hope they keep it. Yes, if there are errors like that they can fix it. Removing it is dumb. Went from excited to very disappointed.

Is that Ron Burgundy? I haaaaate motion blur. IMO it makes bad framerates look worse, not better. Console games love it, though. I remember not being able to even play Fable 3 because it hurt my eyes. I'm curious if the aiming has settings that can make it less jumpy. The shipping versions of Killzone 2 and Uncharted 3 had this same issue. Very slight presses on the analog made it jump all over the screen. Uncharted 3 eventually got fixed, but Killzone never really did. At the same time this dude is clearly a PC gamer, though. In this forum I see people used to KB/M complaining about analog aiming in games that play wonderfully.
Either way, I had no plans to get Crysis for the Switch and (obviously after seeing this) I still don't.

1595782528063.gif

So Crysis : Demastered edition? LOL What's the point of this? Worse graphics, worse lighting, worse controls, and less content than original. This is stupid.

Runs on switch tho

So Crysis : Demastered edition? LOL What's the point of this? Worse graphics, worse lighting, worse controls, and less content than original. This is stupid.

The point is to bring it to the current (and likely next) generation of consoles. For anyone who only plays on consoles, this should look a lot better than the 360/PS3 version they would have played. It's pretty safe to say this will sell well on consoles. Likely the only reason it's coming to PC at all is because the consoles have become so close to PC's anyway that the effort and expense to port it is minimal. Getting their port on Steam's front page for a little bit will surely sell enough copies to make a cheap, lazy port worthwhile.

Remasters and remakes are more profitable than they've ever been, and with us being on the brink of a new console generation, expect to see them ad nauseam. Unfortunately, as PC Gamers, we've had the best versions all along. Anything shy of a top-to-bottom remake (or a previously console exclusive), and these remasters are a lot less interesting on our platform of choice.

This should be 100% free for people who own the original.

these mofos have got to stop remaking old games and figure new shit out.

Only remaster that would get money from me would be the original Golden Eye 007 from the Nintendo 64 days.

Miss that game, grew up playing it with friends. A guy actually was almost done with a legit remake after years of work in progress but they literally just recently shut him down with a cease and desist. He’s now gonna continue making the game with a different title or something.

This should be 100% free for people who own the original.

Never going to happen.

This release is primarily targeted at consoles, where the upgrade will be much more substantial. They definetly wouldn't give it away on consoles, and giving for free to previous owners only on PC creates animosity and devalues the game.

Also, it would be problematic logistically speaking. Crysis released at a time when physical copies were much more prevelent. Saying "it's a free upgrade, but only for Steam customers" would equally piss a lot of people off.

And if all that weren't enough... Crysis sold pretty well. Giving it away to everyone who already purchased it makes it totally pointless to put time and effort (money) into it. Why bother when your going to give it away to more people than you'll sell it to?

If you don't want to buy it again, don't. Nothing will happen to the copy you already own. I don't know why you'd expect something for free that cost someone else money to make.

Never going to happen.

This release is primarily targeted at consoles, where the upgrade will be much more substantial. They definetly wouldn't give it away on consoles, and giving for free to previous owners only on PC creates animosity and devalues the game.

Also, it would be problematic logistically speaking. Crysis released at a time when physical copies were much more prevelent. Saying "it's a free upgrade, but only for Steam customers" would equally piss a lot of people off.

And if all that weren't enough... Crysis sold pretty well. Giving it away to everyone who already purchased it makes it totally pointless to put time and effort (money) into it. Why bother when your going to give it away to more people than you'll sell it to?

If you don't want to buy it again, don't. Nothing will happen to the copy you already own. I don't know why you'd expect something for free that cost someone else money to make.

lol my guy, I’m not upset about it. I posted that and forgot about it already but this 1000 word essay you just wrote makes it seems like your father poured his blood, sweat, and tears into it lol.

It’s ok bro, bands gonna make it regardless if I buy or not.

lol my guy, I’m not upset about it. I posted that and forgot about it already but this 1000 word essay you just wrote makes it seems like your father poured his blood, sweat, and tears into it lol.

It’s ok bro, bands gonna make it regardless if I buy or not.

Wut?

You said it should be free. I gave the reasons it's won't be.

That's all.

According to their Facebook page the PC, PS4 and XBox One will be released on 18th September

nc_ohc=WuDGHfmGf2sAX9T3a6l&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel8-1.jpg

But only on the Epic store will cause outrage, I'm sure

Back