Crysis - Designed as a trilogy

Hopefully they will first DROP EA, second work out all the bugs with this one, and third DROP EA

I wish there were fewer games desperately trying for franchise status. This is sort of a poor example, but I like how Call of Duty 4, despite being fourth in the series, told a complete and self-contained story. No cliffhangers or loose threads demanding a sequel.

Not everything needs to be a trilogy. It seems the entertainment industry has lost touch with the focused, self-contained story. I guess grinding out follow-ups saves money.

That at least one more game is coming should be obvious to anyone who has played through the game.

It'd be really sad if they developed this engine just to make this one game.

I'm sure people will license it and come out with their own.

And if the trilogy theory is correct, I'm sure they'll do what Valve does and keep adding to the engine with each successive game. So more DX10 features with each release.

As long as the content is there and good I dont mind sequels and trilogies. I dislike waiting but thankfully this part was not too short. Just hope we are not left waiting for a few years.

Crysis is a disapointment, it's a very short game.
It have good graphics, but there's no hardware to run that, so when hardware come out with enough power to run it, better games came out and we lost interest on crysis.
There's no point releasing a game that run like ass with existing hardware, unreal 3 engine for example it's not so visually appealing but it's very optimized and run on today's hardware, and there's some very good game that use it.
In my personal opinion, crysis is simple a farcry with better graphics, with no inovations.

There's no point releasing a game that run like ass with existing hardware, unreal 3 engine for example it's not so visually appealing but it's very optimized and run on today's hardware, and there's some very good game that use it.

Wha what? So it's not as visually appealing as cryengine2, but it runs better? Isn't that how it's supposed to be?

Were people whining this much when their 9800pro's ran Far Cry at 1024x768 on medium settings? Am I making a post where I only ask questions?

It have good graphics, but there's no hardware to run that, so when hardware come out with enough power to run it, better games came out and we lost interest on crysis.

That's not even close to being true. :rolleyes:

I can run it at High settings at 1600x1200 res, and still maintain 30+ FPS average with virtually 0 slow downs, all the while playing it in a way (graphics wise) that completely shames every other game out there by miles and miles.

we can almost run it at higher with the current high end, and we are long due for a new high end

If only they made the story, you know, interesting enough to garner interest for the other two potential installments in the series ... !

That's not even close to being true. :rolleyes:

I can run it at High settings at 1600x1200 res, and still maintain 30+ FPS average with virtually 0 slow downs, all the while playing it in a way (graphics wise) that completely shames every other game out there by miles and miles.

I'm at your same res with an 8800GTX and a Conroe @ 3.4GHz and 4GB RAM. I don't consider that to be enough-not even close. I like at least 2x AA although I prefer 16x AA and while most is on high, I've gotta crank the shaders down to medium. Especially towards the later levels. To me, playable is maxxed out settings on VERY HIGH (HUGE difference IMO) with maxxed out AA. That's what I want. That said, I'm glad this game pushes the hardware manu. to get faster cards out there, I just hope they do it soon. And I hope I'm not gonna drop another $600 just for one game to play better either. Hopefully Alan Wake and other games will stress the hardware just as much so I can actually try to enjoy my $600 purchase.

I like how half the people on this forum say they can barely run Crysis at all, and the other half are saying they can run it at ultra high details with crazy framerates. Ironically, the people in the first group tend to have 8800GTXs and overclocked Core 2s, and the people in the latter group tend to have, like, 8800GTSs and AMD 5600+s. Something seems odd about that.

Crytek designs their games to be almost unplayable at the framerates / detail levels most "hardcore gamers" are used to until 1 or 2 video card generations after the game's release. It's their way of staying relevant. I still think they just make tech demos. Impressive tech, but the same old gameplay.

In my personal opinion, crysis is simple a farcry with better graphics, with no inovations.

so you think the alien levels was no innovation? WTF seriously......some people expect WAY TOO MUCH :rolleyes:

i've been gaming out a loooong time man, and thats some of the coolest stuff i've seen to date.

Crytek has three options to do well here:

1: Get the sequel out FAST. Needs to be out sometime in '08 or people might stop caring.

2: Support one HELL of a modding community.

3: Release a good expansion pack that acts as a prequel; something along the lines of covering Nomad before he gets chosen for special forces through his first few missions with the nanosuit.

It all basically revolves around content. Crytek MUST keep us supplied. They simply do not have the fan base to dick around for 2+ years.

I like how half the people on this forum say they can barely run Crysis at all, and the other half are saying they can run it at ultra high details with crazy framerates. Ironically, the people in the first group tend to have 8800GTXs and overclocked Core 2s, and the people in the latter group tend to have, like, 8800GTSs and AMD 5600+s. Something seems odd about that.

Crytek designs their games to be almost unplayable at the framerates / detail levels most "hardcore gamers" are used to until 1 or 2 video card generations after the game's release. It's their way of staying relevant. I still think they just make tech demos. Impressive tech, but the same old gameplay.

Where do you even read that?
Stop being sensational. :rolleyes:

Crazy framerates != 30 or so FPS on average, which is what mine hovers around, i.e., 30-33 or so, with little to no slowdowns; which in turn equates to a smooth experience so long as slow-downs are kept at a minimum (and they are).

Furthermore, in my case, I have a card that quite literally goes neck and neck with an 8800GTX Ultra.
Don't let the 8800GT in the name fool you, this bad boy is overclocked to 700Mhz, its shader clock is overclocked, its memory is overclocked, etc.

And yes, Crysis on High on a single Ultra or a card at my settings can easily hit 30-35 FPS average with minimial slowdowns.

turd? what are you smoking man? i thought the game was excellent. anyone who thinks the game sucked is off their rocker:rolleyes:

so you think the alien levels was no innovation? WTF seriously......some people expect WAY TOO MUCH :rolleyes:

i've been gaming out a loooong time man, and thats some of the coolest stuff i've seen to date.

Quite a few of these people whom needlessly and senselessly try to be "cool" and therefore end up bashing Crysis, I have come to find out, have not even played it.

That explains a lot.

Where do you even read that?
Stop being sensational. :rolleyes:

Crazy framerates != 30 or so FPS on average, which is what mine hovers around, i.e., 30-33 or so, with little to no slowdowns; which in turn equates to a smooth experience so long as slow-downs are kept at a minimum (and they are).

Furthermore, in my case, I have a card that quite literally goes neck and neck with an 8800GTX Ultra.
Don't let the 8800GT in the name fool you, this bad boy is overclocked to 700Mhz, its shader clock is overclocked, its memory is overclocked, etc.

And yes, Crysis on High on a single Ultra or a card at my settings can easily hit 30-35 FPS average with minimial slowdowns.
I don't really care enough to actually go back and quote people along with their rigs, but I have at least seen three people say they run the game very well, with one person for each of those replying to them that they have a more powerful system at the same settings with half the framerate.

Crysis was extremely fun and a blast to play up until the end. I felt like I was put back in my box and after so long out of it that was not a good feeling. I hope they let me back out in the expansion.

You have to be kidding me... the game kicked ass until those fucking aliens showed up.... why the hell did Crytek have to go with that shit? The KPAs with nano suits was so f-ing cool but they didn't develop it AT ALL. On top of that, they give the alien levels NO open endedness ... you are pretty much put on rails.... it was horrid.

why couldnt crytek do some kick ass fights against squads of nano-suited KPAs in villages with vehicles, exploding houses everywhere and such for the finale.... *THAT* woulda kicked ass... not that lame zero-g maze and stupid shooting levels with the aliens

Shooters that are as technologically innovative as Crysis = good.

Plot continuation of a game like Crysis = bad. ;)

I just knew that their would be atleast a serial to it, as the way crysis ended just didnt fit, it was like your in the middle of the game and just getting down to the nitty gritty with the aliens and all of a sudden it ends, they reckon charging us for 2 more installments so that we actually get A FINISHED game is a good way to take more of our money.

Personally, when I buy games, I prefer them to be complete.

Crysis was shit tbh so they can keep their 2 installments as I wont be buying them, not after seeing how boring crysis was, i personally couldnt stand another 2 more games of the same.

You have to be kidding me... the game kicked ass until those fucking aliens showed up.... why the hell did Crytek have to go with that shit? The KPAs with nano suits was so f-ing cool but they didn't develop it AT ALL. On top of that, they give the alien levels NO open endedness ... you are pretty much put on rails.... it was horrid.

why couldnt crytek do some kick ass fights against squads of nano-suited KPAs in villages with vehicles, exploding houses everywhere and such for the finale.... *THAT* woulda kicked ass... not that lame zero-g maze and stupid shooting levels with the aliens

I totally agree that things fell apart after the aliens arrived, it definately became very linear. KPA's in Nanosuits with miniguns was superb, shame it was only brief.

I fear Crysis 2 will follow on with the alien nonsense. Perhaps a prequel would be better next time out. I've heard romours this could be the case...

On top of that, they give the alien levels NO open endedness ... you are pretty much put on rails.... it was horrid.

Ok tons of great games are "on rails" and also the alien level was essentially inside of a mountain. That's like asking for open endedness when going through a house. There's plenty enough open decision-making in the other parts of the game to make up for that part. Plus your goal in the alien level is to GTFO not figure out a way to destroy it, so why exactly are you pissed?

I just knew that their would be atleast a serial to it, as the way crysis ended just didnt fit, it was like your in the middle of the game and just getting down to the nitty gritty with the aliens and all of a sudden it ends, they reckon charging us for 2 more installments so that we actually get A FINISHED game is a good way to take more of our money.

People said the same about Valve and look how many people are still buying the HL2 eps. Are you TRULY surprised they did this with this type of game engine? Why the fuck would they give you the full story when the machines that will be running this game suck ass? Wouldn't you want to A. make more money off of the masterpiece of a game engine and B. make it so when the story continues with the next installments that more people will be able to enjoy the product? Seriously think it through before you go on a typical "WHAT?!?! NOT THE WHOLE STORY?!?! OH CRYTEK CAN DIE THEY'RE NOT GETTING ANY OF MY MONEY EVER AGAIN!!"

Ok tons of great games are "on rails" and also the alien level was essentially inside of a mountain. That's like asking for open endedness when going through a house. There's plenty enough open decision-making in the other parts of the game to make up for that part. Plus your goal in the alien level is to GTFO not figure out a way to destroy it, so why exactly are you pissed?

i'm pissed because.... well think of the alternatives.... they coulda had the aliens in the end, in addition to the KPAs. Like, after you escape the mountain, instead of that frozen world crap, the story concludes with a huge part of the korean army trying to take back the island or something, so in the end you are fighting big battles with nanosuited kpa's, normal ones, and in the middle, the aliens are fighting both sides. something like that, woulda been cool, or maybe just a simple nano-suit final battle.... anything woulda been better than what we got...

i'm pissed because.... well think of the alternatives.... they coulda had the aliens in the end, in addition to the KPAs. Like, after you escape the mountain, instead of that frozen world crap, the story concludes with a huge part of the korean army trying to take back the island or something, so in the end you are fighting big battles with nanosuited kpa's, normal ones, and in the middle, the aliens are fighting both sides. something like that, woulda been cool, or maybe just a simple nano-suit final battle.... anything woulda been better than what we got...

And how do you know that it won't end up that way in the next installments? :rolleyes:

Some people just want to bash for the sake of bashing, either that or they all have crystal balls. :eek:

Well the ending to Crysis certainly left the impression that sequels would surely be in the works. I for one will be glad to see additional games based on this one.

I too will be glad to see more of this engine.

Also--quit blaming Crytek for building an engine ahead of its time, and start blaming Nvidia and AMD for not putting out something better than what we had over a year ago. I think this is the biggest drought for high-end graphics I've seen since 3d graphics cards first came out.

Back