Crowdfunded Half Life 3 Campaign To Pressure Valve

HardOCP News

[H] News
Only an ad agency could come up with an idea like this. :(

A pair of interns at the New Mexico-based ad agency McKee Wallwork & Co. have a crazy idea. They started a crowdfunding project on the website Indiegogo to raise money to help it lobby Valve to make and release a new Half-Life shooter game.

Due to fan pressure and against all his pleas Gabe releases HL3. The game goes online on August 4th, 2015. HL3 begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware 2:14 AM, Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.

Half-Life 3 fights back.

Super Alpha Half Life 2 Episode 2 Directors Cut confirmed!

Due to fan pressure and against all his pleas Gabe releases HL3. The game goes online on August 4th, 2015. HL3 begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware 2:14 AM, Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.

Half-Life 3 fights back.

Perfect response. :p

If this was any other game it wouldn't matter. But this story has so many unanswered questions and they left it on a MASSIVE cliffhanger. They intended on making episode 3 and then ... nothing..

I bet you could get a million people to pay $50 for a pre-order of the game that doesn't exists yet.

Gabe Newell: "I'm having so much fun with all the money I'm not making from this game that people obviously want. It's so nice not to be making buku profits from some highly-demanded and legendary franchi-what's this? An indiegogo page? THANK THE HEAVENS! WHERE WOULD WE EVER HAVE GOTTEN THE CAPITAL FOR HL3? FUCKING CONFIRMED, BITCHES!"

Half-Life 3 fights back.

Great post but having played all of the Half Life franchise (the destructable environment in the original broke totally new ground) I still want a L4D 3 more. :D

I don't think money or the possible audience is the problem. They have money to create it. It has a huge audience and will sell like hotcakes in Ethiopia.

I don't think a crowdfunding thing would work. They KNOW that people want it, so a petition is worthless. Throwing money at them won't do much - they have plenty if they wanted to develop it right now.

My big thing is that the expectations keep growing. People are going to expect HL3 to be absolutely amazing. I'm afraid it's going to end up like Duke Nukem and end up disappointing a lot of people.

No matter what, it'll be a huge seller right out of the gate. I'd love it to have just a "Half Life 3, releasing January 15th, 2015" announcement on Jan. 1st. Been in development for years in a top secret lab, ready for release, and all these people are just wasting their time and money. :)

Frankly i dont want this. Valve is not the same developer they were when HL2 came out. Dota 2 is a complete and total Cluster f**** with how they release updates and how long it takes them to fix issues. it took 8 MONTHS to update the netcode that was making the game completely unplayable for a huge part of the population that all went back to LoL. What has valve even done recently?

I agree, who knows if they even have the same Developers? I mean they might have got bored and moved on.

My best guess though is they are trying to build a new source engine that can be used for Left For Dead, HL3, etc.

Frankly i dont want this. Valve is not the same developer they were when HL2 came out. Dota 2 is a complete and total Cluster f**** with how they release updates and how long it takes them to fix issues. it took 8 MONTHS to update the netcode that was making the game completely unplayable for a huge part of the population that all went back to LoL. What has valve even done recently?

Come on, you don't want a bloaty over sized UI with people from your friend's list scattered all over it? A million scrolling advertisements in your main menu? A million notifications, hat drops, and a UI that feels like it was meant for controllers? Really?! :p

On a more serious note, you have to be a fool to donate. You're giving money to a non-Valve affiliated firm to take that money and run an independent advertisement campaign. If you want to spend money, organize a massive "Half Life buying event" where a massive amount of people buy HL1/2 at once. Move an extra 10-50K games in 24 hours and it might get Valve's attention.

So that's why they haven't made HL3 yet, there just isn't enough pressure and demand for it. To facilitate running an advertising campaign to pressure valve into making HL3 they've decided to run an advertising campaign asking for people to give them money. That makes perfect sense too.

These interns from McKee Wallwork & Co are trying to appear "gamer" hip, but they look like a couple of scheming douchebags. Slow-mo walking through the halls? Get serious.

So basically these guys want us to pay them to lobby Valve?

Can I get in on that deal, eveyone send me money and I'll write a few letters to Valve asking for them to make HL3.

Wait, so Valve just doesn't know that gamers want HL3? Yet another problem solved by advertising.

Is the tech at a place where it's even ready for a HL3? I think Valve would want the game to push some sort of limit or introduce innovation, or provide a better immersive experience. We have nothing like that these days in gaming.

We would get slightly better graphics bump and a continuation of a story, just like all the other games. What's the point?

HL3 is the type of game Valve would roll out with something "ground-breaking" like VR or whatever. If VR even catches on for gaming.

Is the tech at a place where it's even ready for a HL3? I think Valve would want the game to push some sort of limit or introduce innovation, or provide a better immersive experience. We have nothing like that these days in gaming.

We would get slightly better graphics bump and a continuation of a story, just like all the other games. What's the point?

HL3 is the type of game Valve would roll out with something "ground-breaking" like VR or whatever. If VR even catches on for gaming.

Well this is a large probably with many games, the idea behind a single player game should be it's story, not the technology it "advances!"

Wait, so Valve just doesn't know that gamers want HL3? Yet another problem solved by advertising.

They have no idea people even WANT Half Life 3. We need to find someone, maybe a small group of people, that can get in touch with Valve and say "We want Half Life 3". Then, Gabe may say "Well, why didn't anyone say anything before?! We would have made it if there was an interest!". /s

Valve knows. I'm thinking it's like others say - waiting for the technology/new Source engine before they go for it.

I bet HL3 comes out next year,Steam Machines/SteamOS are the hold up. They could also be holding off for more launch titles when released.

Isnt there a way to have kickstarters removed before they collect any of the contributions? Someone should bring this up with kickstarter its an obvious cash grab

Isnt there a way to have kickstarters removed before they collect any of the contributions? Someone should bring this up with kickstarter its an obvious cash grab

We could start a Kickstarter to fund the legal team to pressure Indiegogo to remove the campaign to pressure Valve on HL3! F-ing brilliant.

I'll start the paperwork, you start the YouBubes video.

We could start a Kickstarter to fund the legal team to pressure Indiegogo to remove the campaign to pressure Valve on HL3! F-ing brilliant.

I'll start the paperwork, you start the YouBubes video.

how bout a youboobs video instead?

HL3 will be developed when someone in Valve wants to develop it. There's no technology constraint, no buildup constraint, nothing like that at all. It's a horizontal (flat) hierarchy with small groups doing what they want to do at the time.

The black mesa project re-release will probably tip us off that they are going to release Half Life 3 soon. I doubt any money will be spent on advertising the game. They are going to release it, and the internet will explode. Comcast will throttle every steam users connection, riots, nukes going off, the world burns. The End.

I still want to know what the connection is between Portal and Half Life.

I still want to know what the connection is between Portal and Half Life.

I’m surprised someone hasn’t come up with at least a mod (or maybe they have?) making a co-op game with Freeman and Chell. Freeman could use his grav gun to move panels around or angel them. Or launch companion cubes around. Chell doing what she does best with the portal guns. Now using Freeman as a positional exit for portals. All the while trying to move Freeman where he is most helpful as well.

Crowdfunding needs to die.
Wow, what a wonderful attitude. Some of the most interesting games I've heard of in years are being developed via crowdfunding. I mean jesus, before Facebook bought them up, that's where the Oculus Rift started. You just in a bad mood or what?

Back