Creative versus Daniel_K

So can anyone recommend a good sound card to me? I'm ripping this Creative POS out of my box and replacing as soon as possible. I'd RMA it if it wasn't a couple years old.

PM with a suggestion. Thanks.

Lot of people complaining about EAX. "Oh, I don't want to get a different card because they don't support Creative's proprietary 3d sound format." Are you kidding me? THAT'S WHY THEY CREATED IT. YOU'RE DEPENDENT ON THEM. Stop supporting this nonsense company and suck it up. Something better will take its place, but you have to start voting with your wallet. Jesus.

ASUS has drivers designed to emulate EAX, providing a pseudo-EAX 5.0 compliance. Without a review, there's no way to say how good this emulation is, but it would be interesting to get a review to find out.

EAX won't last. It is no longer supported under Vista without using Creative's ALchemy software to translate EAX calls to OpenAL. So this may be an issue for now, but the chances Microsoft will restore DirectSound3D to future versions of Windows seems unlikely, unfortunate as it may be.

If ASUS' emulation is good enough, my next card will be an easy choice, assuming it's well-done with their budget Xonar DX 7.1 card. The emulation only has to work reasonably well until EAX finally dies...which is probably only one or two generations of games down the road.

I was just looking at it, I cant tell if that black thing in the other price a coxial or spfid adaptor. since its facing up. been nice if newegg took a shot showing the top of it. Because I'm wondering.

Also Eax wouldnt die, it still be use with OpenAl.Because EAX doesnt need DIrect Sound Hal to be used, only in games which looks for the Direct Sound hal which has eax tied to it without the support of the eax1-2 which can be done in software mode.

Theres OpenAL games which also uses EAX. All they would do, is just start using Eax with openAL instead of Direct Sound Hal, Like their doing now. with UT3, and then games like Doom3,quake 4 and TimeShift which is also openal with EAX. Also Hellgate london is OpenAL and has some form of eax support.

If any thing the new sound format their working on would replace Direct Sound Hal, I cant remember the name of it. And then EFX which can do all of the stuff EAX can do on any card.

Also you have the info wrong about alchemy. Alchemy doesnt take the calls for EAX, Eax is placed on top of Direct Sound Hal, when they used it in games.Without DS hal(hardware acceration) Eax will not be avaible because it was slap on top of direct sound hal since it isnt their. The games which used it with Direct sound hal will not let you use it. So it disabled and the game is ran in software mode because The Direct Sound Hal wasnt their to take the call, And EAX is layed on , on top of it.it be like taking the car engine from your car.

Without your car engine(directsound Hal)aka DirectSound Hardware acceration,Your N2o(eax) will not be helping you at all.

Alchemy waits for calls for the Direct Sound hal that the games which uses Direct Sound 3D, Since The Hal isnt in vista. Alcehemy takes the call instead and then converts it directy to openal. If it was EAX calls, you would still have 5.1 without alchemy. Which you dont. Since DS3D Hardware games doesnt relay on EAX to output in 5.1. They relay on Direct Sound Hardware Hal. Because I had some games that also supported 5.1 in software mode working fine for me on my Razer barracuda when I had it. Outputting in 5.1 in software mode. Because the game wasnt a Direct Sound 3D hardware(hal) game that must had it to output in 5.1 .

I hope you understand what I mean. I was trying to put it as clearly as I could.
All asus thing is doing is converting Direct Sound Hal to their DS3G or whatever it called on the fly instead of copying files to the game folders.

Yeah, really. I've read his posts, and it does seem like he's a clear-headed person... but just... a little retarded, maybe? I honestly can't see what he's trying to accomplish given his methods.

I don't know, but he seems to have come back this evening with quite the attitude. Looking forward so seeing his balls smashed again. :p

Oh snap

P.S. Maybe Microsoft could give Daniel a job. He seems to have done the impossible: getting something to actually work on Vista.

That made me LOL, literally!!! hahah

So can anyone recommend a good sound card to me? I'm ripping this Creative POS out of my box and replacing as soon as possible. I'd RMA it if it wasn't a couple years old.

I'll PM you my shipping info, I'll take those soundcards off your hands....

I don't own any creative products.. and probably never will get one.
Although I do see the point of what creative has brought...
I dont know the full stories but..
many of users will find Daniel's driver very helpful but that doesnt mean he can break creative rules to make them.. which I believe modifying of drivers.

Many hardware company do limits their hardware capability to make more money.. not only creative.
This almost sounds same as if I could copy html codes to codes for HardOCP website.. the designs.. source codes.. etc and rename as my own title to start my own hardware website.
If website become popular and people finds it helpful.. no one gonna say shit except Kyle.

Many hardware company do limits their hardware capability to make more money.. not only creative.
There's a difference between using the same chip to release different cards (ala Nvidia, Ati) and not delivering ADVERTISED FUNCTIONALITY on certain operating systems because of incompetent drivers.

This almost sounds same as if I could copy html codes to codes for HardOCP website.. the designs.. source codes.. etc and rename as my own title to start my own hardware website.
If website become popular and people finds it helpful.. no one gonna say shit except Kyle.

So I guess that if nVidia or Ati took 32-bit colour out of their Vista driver on all their last generation products you would think that is their right?

So you would happily fork over some more cash to by a 3850 or a 9600 in order to enable 32-bit colour when your 8800GT could do it no prob if enabled in drivers?

This is an intersting read about Creative.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3114&p=1

Looks like Creative has been going down hill well before just a few days ago.

That sure is interesting, thanks for the link.

Ah the thread died after 2000 replies. A moderator removed the original "cease and desist" letter posted by the same moderator who removed it.

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board?board.id=soundblaster

Does it look like just maybe it was more than just Creative's tech that Daniel was redistributing? I wonder who Creative was licensing stuff from that got on their case for Daniel doing what he was doing.

Isn't there an open source alternative (ie. openal)? Not big into this but yeah, the problem is the eax stuff..

The whole Daniel_K issue isn't about the modified drivers (especially for the Audigy/A2/ZS), but about his including a software package (ALchemy Audigy Edition) which Creative chooses to charge money for ($9.95USD, but still a fee) in his modified Vista ISO. That is, legally, IP theft, folks. Never mind that the same software is *included* with the X-Fi series, and never mind that you only need it if both of the following are true:

1. You have a game that does *not* support OpenAL

AND

2. You are running any version of Windows Vista.

How many of the folks doing the screaming are running Windows Vista (and thus are likely users of the ISO in question, as I myself admittedly was before I upgraded to an X-Fi for other reasons)? Also, never mind that ALchemy (both Audigy and X-Fi Editions) still has issues with some non-OpenAL games (notably Guild Wars: Prophecies) in Vista.

Let's be honest here: Creative has just as much right to guarantee themselves an income flow as nVidia, AMD, Intel, or any hardware or software company.

If a company *didn't* do that, we would have no further reason to upgrade, and the companies in question would close. (Note that every single company I named is a public company, even nVidia (NASDAQ NMS: NVDA).)

I personally preferred Daniel_K's ISO for *convenience* reasons (I had no issues with the Audigy 2 ZS in Vista; in fact, my Mom has the card today, and she also runs Vista) and that I upgraded to the X-Fi for totally unrelated reasons. So what's the real reason for all the screams?

PGHammer, I don't disagree with you, but the reality is that the only most have for upgrading is artificial barriers put in place by Creative. I don't upgrade graphics cards for new drivers, I upgrade for new features that are the result of improvements in the hardware.

I'd upgrade to an X-Fi if they were PCI-E and had solid drivers. By all accounts, the one PCI-E card they have is, at best, lacking.

X-Fi may be better, but my onboard sound can get the job done in vista. If they want my money, it's time to do a bit of hardware engineering.

I just don't feel like buying a PCI sound card, when I know its going to disapear. It may not happen in the next couple of years, but sound cards are not something I feel a need to upgrade very often. I did that once with an ISA card and 2 or 3 years later, I had to buy a new card, because there was no room for an ISA on my new MB. 3 years isn't bad, but the new card didn't provide any significant changes over what I had (it wasn't a game card in that case).

I was just looking at it, I cant tell if that black thing in the other price a coxial or spfid adaptor. since its facing up. been nice if newegg took a shot showing the top of it. Because I'm wondering.

Also Eax wouldnt die, it still be use with OpenAl.Because EAX doesnt need DIrect Sound Hal to be used, only in games which looks for the Direct Sound hal which has eax tied to it without the support of the eax1-2 which can be done in software mode.

Theres OpenAL games which also uses EAX. All they would do, is just start using Eax with openAL instead of Direct Sound Hal, Like their doing now. with UT3, and then games like Doom3,quake 4 and TimeShift which is also openal with EAX. Also Hellgate london is OpenAL and has some form of eax support.

If any thing the new sound format their working on would replace Direct Sound Hal, I cant remember the name of it. And then EFX which can do all of the stuff EAX can do on any card.

Also you have the info wrong about alchemy. Alchemy doesnt take the calls for EAX, Eax is placed on top of Direct Sound Hal, when they used it in games.Without DS hal(hardware acceration) Eax will not be avaible because it was slap on top of direct sound hal since it isnt their. The games which used it with Direct sound hal will not let you use it. So it disabled and the game is ran in software mode because The Direct Sound Hal wasnt their to take the call, And EAX is layed on , on top of it.it be like taking the car engine from your car.

Without your car engine(directsound Hal)aka DirectSound Hardware acceration,Your N2o(eax) will not be helping you at all.

Alchemy waits for calls for the Direct Sound hal that the games which uses Direct Sound 3D, Since The Hal isnt in vista. Alcehemy takes the call instead and then converts it directy to openal. If it was EAX calls, you would still have 5.1 without alchemy. Which you dont. Since DS3D Hardware games doesnt relay on EAX to output in 5.1. They relay on Direct Sound Hardware Hal. Because I had some games that also supported 5.1 in software mode working fine for me on my Razer barracuda when I had it. Outputting in 5.1 in software mode. Because the game wasnt a Direct Sound 3D hardware(hal) game that must had it to output in 5.1 .

I hope you understand what I mean. I was trying to put it as clearly as I could.
All asus thing is doing is converting Direct Sound Hal to their DS3G or whatever it called on the fly instead of copying files to the game folders.

That is pretty much the issue with the Audigy. While the Audigy *does* support OpenAL (OpenAL was released in 2004), the X-Fi supports a greater amount of OpenAL calls than the Audigy. However, Microsoft removed the DirectSound (and DirectSound 3D) HAL in Vista when it moved to the Windows Server 2003 R2 code base; naturally this broke EAX (which was based on the now-gone DS HAL). OpenAL doesn't even use the DS HAL (which is why games that support OpenAL still work as expected in both Vista and XP). However, there were (and are) people still screaming at Creative that EAX doesn't work in Vista like it did in XP (which is by Microsoft's design; remember, it was Microsoft that removed DS HAL support); hence, ALchemy. I upgraded to the X-Fi for the improved OpenAL support (remember, I run Vista, so EAX was a non-issue). It's also why I didn't bash Creative over the whole EAX and Vista flap.

PGHammer, I don't disagree with you, but the reality is that the only most have for upgrading is artificial barriers put in place by Creative. I don't upgrade graphics cards for new drivers, I upgrade for new features that are the result of improvements in the hardware.

I'd upgrade to an X-Fi if they were PCI-E and had solid drivers. By all accounts, the one PCI-E card they have is, at best, lacking.

X-Fi may be better, but my onboard sound can get the job done in vista. If they want my money, it's time to do a bit of hardware engineering.

I just don't feel like buying a PCI sound card, when I know its going to disapear. It may not happen in the next couple of years, but sound cards are not something I feel a need to upgrade very often. I did that once with an ISA card and 2 or 3 years later, I had to buy a new card, because there was no room for an ISA on my new MB. 3 years isn't bad, but the new card didn't provide any significant changes over what I had (it wasn't a game card in that case).

I upgraded to an X-Fi from my A2 ZS because of greater OpenAL support (especially for headphones) in the X-Fi compared to the Audigy (which, other than that, I had no issues with in Vista). Further, I have only a P4 Northwood-C, so I don't exactly have CPU cycles to spare (onboard sound, in most cases, is entirely CPU-reliant), which made hardware-based audio acceleration support a must. Given those two issues, the X-Fi XtremeGamer is the only sound card that fit both my needs *and*, most importantly, my budget. (The X-Fi wasn't even $110, tax included.) While, with the current pricing of quad-core CPUs (especially Q6600) my X-Fi may indeed be rendered moot by my next upgrade (which will almost certainly be to a quad-core of some sort, as the pricing is just way too attractive), I'm not there yet. I'm not exactly in favor of PCIe x1 for anything at this point (so far, in every case where a PCIe x1 and PCI version of the same card exist, the PCI version has better performance); I would much rather see more straight PCI slots vs. PCIe x1 slots. However, I refuse to blame Creative for something that is not their fault.

kpo6969 posted this at the Creative Forums (04-01-2008 12:23 PM):

http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/ProductDetails.aspx?m=v&g=d&cid=110&sv=&f=&pn=SB X-Fi 2&oid=24

http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Pr...cid=110&sv=&f=&pn=SB X-Fi Surround 5.1&oid=24

That's why Creative's actions seem to give the impression of being boarder-line criminal.

I took the liberty to backtrack a bit from those links... and found this particular result to be *incredibly* ironic when you change the search string of "x86 Compatibility to "Works with Windows Vista!!!!
rofl

For those that don't want to take the time, the bottom line was "No products were found." (to work in Vista) :p

Let's be honest here: Creative has just as much right to guarantee themselves an income flow as nVidia, AMD, Intel, or any hardware or software company.

If a company *didn't* do that, we would have no further reason to upgrade, and the companies in question would close. (Note that every single company I named is a public company, even nVidia (NASDAQ NMS: NVDA).)
There's no such thing as a "right" to guarantee themselves an income flow. That's why we have antitrust legislation and other such protections, crippled though they may be.

Our reason to upgrade has nothing to do with a company's profits; they profit when they provide a product which gives us incentive to upgrade.

Companies that can't adapt go out of business. It's the way life goes. Carriage businesses failed after cars became big; TV was the death of radio; Internet is slowly killing TV. And on and on. If Creative can't compete with onboard sound, then to heck with them. My only regret is that they bought out so many actually good companies (E-MU, Enisoniq, etc.) and let them stagnate.

Got my Prelude. My only question is what does that f**king green blinking light mean?

I would just like to add that about a year and a half ago I purchased a eVGA 8800GTS, Opty 180, and an X-Fi XMusic sound card all at the same time. I installed the new CPU first, fired up the system ran it for a few and all was well. Then installed the graphics card and drivers, restarted the system, played a few games and again, all was well. Last, I installed the X-Fi card and just the drivers. Not all of the other software that comes with the X-Fi, just the drivers. I ran the system for a few then a BSoD.

I uninstalled the sound card drivers, restarted into safe mode, used CCleaner to remove all remnants and rebooted. Installed the full meal deal drivers and software, figuring I must have missed something along the way. The system ran for two days non stop. Then crashed. Daily. For about 9 months I lived with a system that would crash daily if not more often. I hated it. I had a rock solid system up to that point in time. I dont make alot of money, I came into a windfall to get the items I purchased. And before you ask, my on board audio had died on me recently, so no....using on board was not an option. I just sucked it up and drove on.

A few months ago, I got tired of dealing with the crashes, so I looked and looked and finally found what seemed to be decent drivers. Uninstalled all the Creative crap and installed the base Win XP drivers for my XP OS. What do you know, my system was rock solid once more for several months, until I installed a new hard drive. Uninstalled the X-Fi drivers and did a fresh install, all was good again in the world. Installed a new DVD drive a few weeks later, CRASH BSoD almost daily. Reinstall drivers, Creative card is happy again.

This is crap, my vid card doesnt demand reinstalls everytime I update some piece of hardware. The motherboard doesnt throw a hissy requiring a reinstall. WTF is wrong with creative. And this isnt the first time soundbalsters have been picky. Remember the Win 95/98 days of manual IRQ manipulation. Creative cards demanded and required PCI Slot 3. To put it anywhere else on the mobo would mean you would play hell. Creative's drivers have always been lacking, untimely to say the least, and usually outdated by the time they were finally released.

I promised myself that if I wasnt satisfied with the X-Fi, that it would be strike three for Creative and wouldnt you know it they have failed epically once again.

Good Bye, Creative. I wished I could say its been good knowing you. But your worse then a cheating x-gf or wife.

I would just like to add that about a year and a half ago I purchased a eVGA 8800GTS, Opty 180, and an X-Fi XMusic sound card all at the same time. I installed the new CPU first, <..snip>

Good Bye, Creative. I wished I could say its been good knowing you. But your worse then a cheating x-gf or wife.

Your problem is not with the X-Fi, but instead with your Asus A8N-SLI motherboard and it's NForce 4 chipset. It's the known cause to everything you just described.

I have used Creative soundcards since the mid 90's and never had some problem with IRQ -3. I swore Creative off after my Live! card and thought we were all going to be saved by nVidia and it's Soundstorm. I loved the Soundstorm 2 on my ASUS A8N2 Deluxe board... but where is Soundstorm today? I reluctantly bought a X-Fi Xtrememusic and have been very pleased with it, but it is pretty much useless with Vista, so I am still on XP on my gaming box which is ok.

Your problem is not with the X-Fi, but instead with your Asus A8N-SLI motherboard and it's NForce 4 chipset. It's the known cause to everything you just described.

But some people still continue to blame Creative for NVIDIA's problems...even when informed about this fact...go figure.

I would just like to add that about a year and a half ago I purchased a eVGA 8800GTS, Opty 180, and an X-Fi XMusic sound card all at the same time. I installed the new CPU first, fired up the system ran it for a few and all was well. Then installed the graphics card and drivers, restarted the system, played a few games and again, all was well. Last, I installed the X-Fi card and just the drivers. Not all of the other software that comes with the X-Fi, just the drivers. I ran the system for a few then a BSoD.

I uninstalled the sound card drivers, restarted into safe mode, used CCleaner to remove all remnants and rebooted. Installed the full meal deal drivers and software, figuring I must have missed something along the way. The system ran for two days non stop. Then crashed. Daily. For about 9 months I lived with a system that would crash daily if not more often. I hated it. I had a rock solid system up to that point in time. I dont make alot of money, I came into a windfall to get the items I purchased. And before you ask, my on board audio had died on me recently, so no....using on board was not an option. I just sucked it up and drove on.

A few months ago, I got tired of dealing with the crashes, so I looked and looked and finally found what seemed to be decent drivers. Uninstalled all the Creative crap and installed the base Win XP drivers for my XP OS. What do you know, my system was rock solid once more for several months, until I installed a new hard drive. Uninstalled the X-Fi drivers and did a fresh install, all was good again in the world. Installed a new DVD drive a few weeks later, CRASH BSoD almost daily. Reinstall drivers, Creative card is happy again.

This is crap, my vid card doesnt demand reinstalls everytime I update some piece of hardware. The motherboard doesnt throw a hissy requiring a reinstall. WTF is wrong with creative. And this isnt the first time soundbalsters have been picky. Remember the Win 95/98 days of manual IRQ manipulation. Creative cards demanded and required PCI Slot 3. To put it anywhere else on the mobo would mean you would play hell. Creative's drivers have always been lacking, untimely to say the least, and usually outdated by the time they were finally released.

I promised myself that if I wasnt satisfied with the X-Fi, that it would be strike three for Creative and wouldnt you know it they have failed epically once again.

Had the same issues with the Audigy 2 ZS. I would get the squeal of death, blue screens or random crashes in games on a daily basis. Took the card out and I haven't looked back. I now use onboard and it actually doesn't sound too bad. Now I just need a new video card though because I'm getting pretty good artifacts in most games, though it could be my power supply.

Had the same issues with the Audigy 2 ZS. I would get the squeal of death, blue screens or random crashes in games on a daily basis. Took the card out and I haven't looked back. I now use onboard and it actually doesn't sound too bad. Now I just need a new video card though because I'm getting pretty good artifacts in most games, though it could be my power supply.

I beg to differ.
Until you eg. hear BF2 on a X-Fi, you got nothing to compare with.

I beg to differ.
Gaming is hardly a test of Sound Quality. Music, that'll do it. I pipe optical to an external DAC; my onboard sounded better than my Audigy 2 ZS because it had less processing and I'm hard-pressed to find a difference with my AV-710; I keep it primarily because I like its line in better.

I beg to differ.

Yep, if you play either BF2 or 2142, you won't play on anything else after you played on an X-Fi.

Gaming is hardly a test of Sound Quality. Music, that'll do it. I pipe optical to an external DAC; my onboard sounded better than my Audigy 2 ZS because it had less processing and I'm hard-pressed to find a difference with my AV-710; I keep it primarily because I like its line in better.

For a gaming card, that is where you test the sound....in games(!)...nes pas?

My X-Fi Elite Pro (with 116dB SNR on the DAC) suits my music/movie needs just fine..and is unbeaten in gaming.

Don't jugde a gaming card on wrong needs...that would make you the fault.

cod4 has way better sound than bf2 and is software based. no eax.

I love it. No Creative POS for me!!

It's interesting that the Asus card can now apparently emulate EAX 5.0... I just heard about that today.

I had my Audigy 2 ZS for a long time, never really had a problem with it.... until I got to Vista and realized that nothing worked on it. I had it out for a long time and used onboard but tried it again when I found Daniel_K's drivers. I even got my EAX back! But then I got headphones and wanted to try an X-Fi...... only to find there are STILL things that didn't work with it in Vista, mostly the Dolby files. *shrug*

Depending on how these other sound cards shape up, I may end up buying a Xonar or the Prelude :D

cod4 has way better sound than bf2 and is software based. no eax.

I love it. No Creative POS for me!!

Yaa, LOL. Ok.

BF2 running on EAX-HD in Ultra Mode is far better than anything in COD4.

Yaa, LOL. Ok.

BF2 running on EAX-HD in Ultra Mode is far better than anything in COD4.

It is not with my setup. Of course, nobody has what I do. At least not the same combination.

Fact of the matter is that COD4 has much better positional audio than bf2. Bullets sizzle and rpg rockets have one of the coolest sounds ever. I can't hear a damn thing in terms of infantry in bf2 compared to cod4.

Just my opinion.

It is not with my setup. Of course, nobody has what I do. At least not the same combination.

Fact of the matter is that COD4 has much better positional audio than bf2. Bullets sizzle and rpg rockets have one of the coolest sounds ever. I can't hear a damn thing in terms of infantry in bf2 compared to cod4.

Just my opinion.

I repeat, fire up BF2/2142 on a X-Fi and then you hear MUCH better 3D positioning...it like going from bilinear to 16 x anisotropic.
What matters are the X-Fi APU and EAX5.0...sorry but they are a world apart soundwise.
Actually F.E.A.R has got better 3Dsound than CoD4..but BF2/2142 are a class above.

But some people still continue to blame Creative for NVIDIA's problems...even when informed about this fact...go figure.
That's likely because the jury's still out on this unless, of course, you assume everything Creative has said in the past is undeniably factual (I don't).

Fact of the matter...Just my opinion.
I have to say that's a little amusing, spaceman.

Just my opinion.

Maybe you posted this already and I missed it.. but do you have an X-Fi, a real one, not one of the Xtreme Audio ones?

If so, did you select X-Fi/Ultra/EAX in BF2 like this:
BF2Sound.PNG

I only ask because #1, allot of people are fooled by the X-Fi Xtreme Audio thinking that it is an X-Fi (good one Creative :rolleyes:) and #2 alot of people miss the fact that you actually have to scroll down to get to the Ultra setting and don't realize its there and think that High is the highest setting.

Now, if you do and still think that COD4 sounds better, I am gonna have to invite you over for some BF2 and beers and get this set straight. :D

Back