Creative Introduces New Sound Blaster Z-Series Sound Cards

They look nice, but not crazy about that processor. I'm happy with my Titanium HD.

I'm personally waiting for the release of Emotiva's XDA-2: a high end USB DAC with a really good integrated headphone amp.

emo03.jpg

After the disappointment that was the Recon3D line, I can't wait for Earl to get his hands on these Z-Series sound cards and put 'em to the test.

I am very excited to see these, with dedicated components, they might have some promise!

After the disappointment that was the Recon3D line, I can't wait for Earl to get his hands on these Z-Series sound cards and put 'em to the test.

Interesting, I'm not sure if I'm willing to buy another sound card though.

I'd be interested in knowing how it pits against the STX.

The STX is a tough card to beat by any measure. It is one of my all time favorites. Too bad, the follow-up was poor.

Last edited:
Yeah the STX has held up remarkably well despite how long it's been out... I don't even consider the Phoebus a follow up, more like a cousin of it (or a buggy gamer version of it). Even the Titanium HD lacked a few things compared to the STX (headphone amp, hardware switching between headphones and speakers), even tho it came out afterwards. I don't see myself replacing my STX anytime soon.

CREATIVE INTRODUCES THE SOUND BLASTER Z-SERIES - A NEW RANGE OF ULTRA HIGH-PERFORMANCE SOUND CARDS DESIGNED FOR FUTURE GAMING AND ENTERTAINMENT AUDIO

http://www.creative.com/corporate/pressroom/releases/welcome.asp?pid=13285

Oh really? Hrmm .. very interested in the high end $249 card, the Sound Blaster ZxR. I'm needing solution other than my onboard sound to drive my KRK Rokit G2 8's. lol

Totally unnecessary. I've sent the all-knowing NwAvGuy an email asking him about the measurements of the Titanium HD (not the RMAA measurements, the ones taken on an AP-2722 analyzer) and he said the Titanium HD is audibly transparent on the line output. In other words the distortion is too low to be heard by human ears and it's not going to sound any better no matter how much you improve beyond that.

Now, all of this applies to the line output only, so if you are buying headphones then the HPA on the new cards is probably going to be a big improvement, it can handle 600 Ohm loads. That's the only part that they could noticeably improve.

TLDR: Do not buy a new sound card for the sake of a line output if you have the Titanium HD, it will not sound better

Back