Creative contributor Daniel K "Gone for Good"

lol

I can't wait for the thread that says

Creative: gone for good. Fucking retarded!!!! business practices. I reaaaaly do not understand wtf they are thinking and have moved on. I just hope that they die the painful death they deserve.

No soundcard ftw!

Well, looks like the X-Fi and I are going to be parting ways.

I'm not going to fund a company that deliberately disables the best features of their products so they can sell the enabled version and gain twice the profit on the same fucking thing.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Fuckers. I'm not buying anything else from CL until they've proven to me that they care about their customer base, which is unlikely to ever happen anyway. I don't care if the X-Fi 2 is the second coming: it's not going in my rig.

did his DDL drivers work for XP? or was it only vista?

did his DDL drivers work for XP? or was it only vista?

who cares? ebay that pos and walk away like I did.

creative must be stopped. WHO the hell is running this company? how long has the xfi been out? and it could have had the features we've been asking for for YEARS??????

die

This is absolute BS. ATM I have an Audigy Platinum card not to mention a whole bunch of previous generation cards, pretty much the entire range of cards as they came out -SB Live 5.1, SB Live, SB 128, SB 64, SB 32, SB 16.

Thats is it. I am buying NO MORE CREATIVE PRODUCTS!

I don't see the right that Creative has in DELIBERATELY disabling features (as demonstrated by DanielK) in products that advertise their functionality.

As to all those "its their IP BS", it completely goes against [H] spirit! Imagine if you could not mod the case you bought. What about your car? Or house? Want to renovate it --- nope, you get a C&D from the architect.

In a case like this, where its not about piracy - every one who can use those drivers ALREADY PAID Creative, I don't understand how some people can still support this greedy attempt at extracting more money from customers for the same product again.

I really hope there will be a class action lawsuit against Creative! :mad::mad::mad:

That guy is an attention whore... later on in the thread he admits that he isn't even sure if it was actually creative that emailed him

Page 9

To be honest, I'm a little suspicius about this e-mail, as it was not signed.

Whether it is real or not, I don't want to be legally threatened.

Lets wait for an official comment from Creative.

The dude is pirating Creative's tech and releasing it for free. I really don't give a shit, my X-Fi works just fine, but everyone jumping on the fad bandwagon and worhipping this daniel guy is just lame.

That guy is an attention whore... later on in the thread he admits that he isn't even sure if it was actually creative that emailed him
Continue reading, he got a second message. Read as if it were a diary.

The dude is pirating Creative's tech and releasing it for free.
(IANAL disclaimer) Depends where you live. He probably broke the DMCA (side note: they are trying to shove that bloody thing upon Canadians :mad:) and the EULA, but I would not go as far as to say it was pirating it. Just because something is on paper does NOT mean it is right - especially the dirty tactics done by Creative. It would be for a judge to decide.

I really don't give a shit, my X-Fi works just fine
Yeah, it works fine if you just want plain ol' audio - so does the onboard audio. Thats not the point. People paid good $$$ for the hardware accelerated features advertised. Creative disabled those features in the newer drivers (vista) so the features you ALEADY PAID FOR WERE STOLEN.

You're reading it wrong. It goes update 1: got second email, then update 2: email seems suspicious. Still waiting for official creative response as they're looking into it (see post on page 11 by creative mod).

Yeah, it works fine if you just want plain ol' audio - so does the onboard audio. Thats not the point. People paid good $$$ for the hardware accelerated features advertised. Creative disabled those features in the newer drivers (vista) so the features you ALEADY PAID FOR WERE STOLEN.
True, but if you read up on the forums, they are going to re-enable said features in another driver due out in July/August. Beta version of that driver is now available, though people say it's rather buggy (not surprisingly).

Page 9

The dude is pirating Creative's tech and releasing it for free. I really don't give a shit, my X-Fi works just fine, but everyone jumping on the fad bandwagon and worhipping this daniel guy is just lame.

LoL, read farther, the reason he was suspicious was because it wasn't a signed letter.

Hang on...

Didnt creative give him the *thumbs up* a few weeks ago.

does it matter? more like thumbs up his .... you know damn well they are not happy being exposed for what they are. regardless of anything else, creative sucks donkey balls.

Then he should shut is frickin' trap until he knows for sure. In fact, if it were true, the only reason to post it on CREATIVE'S forums is to stir the pot. He is an attention whore, plain and simple. He wants your attention and he got it, all over a possibly fake letter. He won.

It is working fine, I am a huge 2142 junky and wouldn't stand for anything less than a completely functional X-Fi card for that game... now on the other hand.. the microphone line is shit.

get ready to buy a new card for bf3 then,

Do you ever get tired of your ranting?
Not all of us find a USB dongle good enough(or even good) in games...we all know you are possed by Creative...let it go...before it it's you up alive...

So we got fan-girls..and trolls...and now anti-girls..all 3 not needed, and you are not needed for trying to make a case where there are none.

I own a X-Fi Elite Pro.
I don't care a shit for all the "dolby-bu-hu"-whiners...
I don't care for all the "digital out only stero-bu-hu"-whiners..
And I don't care a rat ass about someone getting slammed for ADDING dolby-features for my X-Fi, but not paying the licens to Dolby for using the features...are people really THAT stupid here, to think there would be NO legal ramafications?!

Or did everyone just jump on the "lets-flame-creative-for---erhmm-I-don't-know-?" :rolleyes:

My X-Fi is a gamers card, and no hardware does better with sound in games...period!

Quit whining, move on..and next time...present a case...not mad ramblings...and utter disregard for licensing...we know you hate Creative and we know you are in love with your USB-thing-sound...but the record is broken, the party is over....why are you still stuck in your "hate"?

Vista's "software DirectSound for all" is the second to last nail in CL's coffin. Cheap soundchips that yield stellar signal to noise ratio are what are going to rule now.

Creative's trying to keep alive with OpenAL (in conjunction wth Loki) and their Alchemy project to map EAX legacy DirectSound games to OpenAL. If game developers decide to do this, then CL will linger around, but if OpenAL isn't embraced enough or not differentiate itself from DirectSound (games that support both methods for example), then they are toast.

Vista's "software DirectSound for all" is the second to last nail in CL's coffin. Cheap soundchips that yield stellar signal to noise ratio are what are going to rule now.

Please...if anything the Vista-fuck-up-of-sound (got sound issues and BSOD in Vista....but not due to Creative...oh no...my Logitech Webcam can make Vista die) it has helped Creative and OpenAL.

Creative's trying to keep alive with OpenAL (in conjunction wth Loki) and their Alchemy project to map EAX legacy DirectSound games to OpenAL. If game developers decide to do this, then CL will linger around, but if OpenAL isn't embraced enough or not differentiate itself from DirectSound (games that support both methods for example), then they are toast.
Name another solution that provides 3D HARDWARE sounds under Vista?
Microsoft dropped the ball by turning DX10 into a promo for 3D...but failed.
The ripped the soundmixer apart and made a bogde job, that all of a sudden destroyed the sound in games...and failed.

Alchemy is the fix to old games...OpenAL is the future..and bashing Creative is so...last millenium.

who cares? ebay that pos and walk away like I did.

creative must be stopped. WHO the hell is running this company? how long has the xfi been out? and it could have had the features we've been asking for for YEARS??????

die

It was just a question. relax bro :O

Ive never had a problem with my Creative cards or the drivers. I Do want to upgrade to a Prelude tho :O or a Titanium Fatal1ty :)

This is absolute BS. ATM I have an Audigy Platinum card...

Thats is it. I am buying NO MORE CREATIVE PRODUCTS!

I don't see the right that Creative has in DELIBERATELY disabling features (as demonstrated by DanielK) in products that advertise their functionality.
In a case like this, where its not about piracy - every one who can use those drivers ALREADY PAID Creative, I don't understand how some people can still support this greedy attempt at extracting more money from customers for the same product again.

I really hope there will be a class action lawsuit against Creative! :mad::mad::mad:

You act like this is the first time a piece of hardware has not functioned at 100% when used in Vista. Lots of people lost various functionality with printers, webcams, fingerprint readers, scanners, etc, etc when Vista came out. Nvidia graphics cards barely even worked when Vista came out. Heck I got at least one $300 printer I am not using right not since no real Vista drivers ever came out. Do you see me or other people TALKING IN CAPS ON THE INTERNET TO MAKE A POINT? No, they get over it. New shit comes out, your old shit may not work, boohoo.

lol

creative still sucks. they really, really do.

gatorade is better than water!

I am just bitter b/c I sold my gaming pc. just ignore me. music is what I after atm. for that, the usb route is better atm.

fwiw, he shouldn't have aired his laundry until he got the truth from Creative.

...if OpenAL isn't embraced enough or not differentiate itself from DirectSound (games that support both methods for example), then they are toast.
Right now, the future's looking toward X3DAudio and the XACT toolset, and to some extent, FMOD and FMOD Ex (WoW, anyone?). OpenAL will continue to be embraced by cross-platform developers and developers who still want to support EAX features (not too many of these guys), but it's going to drown unless Creative/NVIDIA makes some pretty major improvements.

Name another solution that provides 3D HARDWARE sounds under Vista?
Does anyone really care about hardware acceleration anymore? The performance impact of software sound, even with DSP, is becoming less an issue every day.

OpenAL is the future..
Then I guess we get to look forward to more of the same old shit. Thanks, but no thanks.

why are so many haters clamoring for the demise of the last sound card company who gives a crap about decent 3d sound? software only ds3d is extremely weak compared to openal audio. why doesnt a competitor actually compete with 3d audio?

next lets call for the death of ati and nvidia- intel integrated grpahics all the way!!!!

Because while they are willing to spend several hundreds of dollars on video card upgrades, they think that sound cards should be free, and also never need upgrading, and if any feature is introduced for a successor card, it should be backwards compatible for previous cards and for free.

Gee, I wonder what nVidia would do if Daniel K took nVidia's Quadro OpenGL drivers and repackaged them for your run of the mill GeForce cards?

why are so many haters clamoring for the demise of the last sound card company who gives a crap about decent 3d sound?
My interest is in the demise of a monopolistic, anti-consumer company and for the proliferation of modern APIs and software-based processing that creates a level playing field for consumers and developers that allows for scalability and technological advancement at a pace dictated by game developers and not by hardware companies. OpenAL may very well be a part of that, and I'd welcome it over something like X3DAudio, but OpenAL is not all glitter and gold.

I'm for real-time sound processing for games that evolves more rapidly than once every three or four years as a sole company dictates. I'm for consumers being able to experience great game audio without being locked into buying cards from a single company that doesn't stand by its products or the community of consumers who buy them. Aren't you?

next lets call for the death of ati and nvidia- intel integrated grpahics all the way!!!!
More apples and oranges, please.

Right now, the future's looking toward X3DAudio and the XACT toolset, and to some extent, FMOD and FMOD Ex (WoW, anyone?). OpenAL will continue to be embraced by cross-platform developers and developers who still want to support EAX features (not too many of these guys), but it's going to drown unless Creative/NVIDIA makes some pretty major improvements.

I have heard that talk since AWE64, now years later it's the same tune but Creative is still launching cars....go figure.

Does anyone really care about hardware acceleration anymore?

Yes.
(K.I.S.S.)

The performance impact of software sound, even with DSP, is becoming less an issue every day.

Go fish?
The sound matters more to me than the graphics, in corrolation to each other, since the C65/A500 days.
Going 5.1 from 2.1 was immersion giving on a new level.
Going 7.1 added much more 3D precision.
Running 128 hardware accelerated sounds with multiple effects per channel is adding it all up and sculpting it for your ears, directly to your brain....immersion on the higest level.
Like adding on features since the C64 in graphics hardware, leading us to AA, AF and unified shaders.
Do you game with no AA/AF?
You can still see what is going on, why bother with AA/AF?
Then I guess we get to look forward to more of the same old shit. Thanks, but no thanks.

Paradox.
Who can you look forward to something, you are not going to do?
Error, error, error...

Because while they are willing to spend several hundreds of dollars on video card upgrades, they think that sound cards should be free, and also never need upgrading, and if any feature is introduced for a successor card, it should be backwards compatible for previous cards and for free.

Why not free CPU's?
Or GPU's as they tend to get replaced more often?

Gee, I wonder what nVidia would do if Daniel K took nVidia's Quadro OpenGL drivers and repackaged them for your run of the mill GeForce cards?

See there is a nice comparision.
NVIDIA wouldn't be happy...oh-oh...not at all.

I have heard that talk since AWE64, now years later it's the same tune but Creative is still launching cards....go figure.
You've heard talk of OpenAL drowning since the dawn of the AWE64? Amusing, as OpenAL was first introduced by Loki/CL in 2000, and the AWE64 was released way back in 1996. Creative cards weren't even supporting OpenAL natively until 2001 -- the Audigy era.

Do you game with no AA/AF? You can still see what is going on, why bother with AA/AF?
Hmm? I'm not talking about removing features but duplicating those existing features in software (feasible). I'm not talking about going backwards.

Paradox. Who can you look forward to something, you are not going to do?
I don't know what that means. Rephrase that in a way that makes sense.

My interest is in the demise of a monopolistic, anti-consumer company and for the proliferation of modern APIs and software-based processing that creates a level playing field for consumers and developers that allows for scalability and technological advancement at a pace dictated by game developers and not by hardware companies. OpenAL may very well be a part of that, and I'd welcome it over something like X3DAudio, but OpenAL is not all glitter and gold.

I'm for real-time sound processing for games that evolves more rapidly than once every three or four years as a sole company dictates. I'm for consumers being able to experience great game audio without being locked into buying cards from a single company that doesn't stand by its products or the community of consumers who buy them. Aren't you?

More apples and oranges, please.

i would love to have sound card choices but no viable competitors are standing up. i would also like to game on something besides windows(an orange). and a pink unicorn. :) (an orange)
hardware-NOT game developers- has always dictated the pace of scalability and tech advances. ALL hardware not just sound cards

and why arent we clamoring for Dolby's death as well? they are the ones who demand the licensing fees for the disabled features. (an apple)

I seriously wish someone would find Daniel_K and kick his ass for me. I'm sooooo fucking tired of this shit.

The facts are that Daniel_K is/was modifying and re-distributing Creative's intellectual property and BREAKING THE LAW. Creative Labs is perfectly within their rights to insist that he cease and desist redistribution of their intellectual property, and in the same position I would most definitely not be pussyfooting around. I'd take whatever legal action I could including a big fat lawsuit against this little fucker. Hell, I think Creative have been more than patient and forgiving on this.

In my opinion I think Creative's only mistake has been granting Daniel_K the leeway they have sofar including leading him to believe however briefly that they might actually tolerate him releasing hacked drivers and enabling 'features' that Creative chose not to enable on certain hardware.

The people that continue to Martyr this guy sicken me.

And I'm no huge fanboy of Creative, especially where their software development team and hardware support is concerned. I'm certainly not defending them out of some kind of brand loyalty or whatever. What's right is right and what's wrong is wrong.

I'm sure Daniel_K had the best of intentions in the beginning but he is most certainly not above the law. Besides now I think he's becoming more of a whiney ass drama queen and he's certainly enjoying the notoriety and attention from all the forum trolls everywhere. :rolleyes:

he was pretty quick at "giving up" after that fake email that btw had a "from" address that literally looked unofficial from the start. He seems to be looking for a reason to let go or get more attention. For all we know, he generated the BS email himself or requested such an email be sent to begin with.

If you're convicted by the notion that Creative is handing the green weenie to it's customer base, I doubt an email (especially one so suspicious looking to begin with) will deter one from continuing efforts to denounce them. Bottom line: He's quitting IMO.

doesn't matter. world is ending soon anyway. just smoke crack until then.

creative is a horrible company who managed to fall into their place because nobody else really tried. niche. that is it. any company that can get by on a new model every decade is obviously in an easy market. like windows, there are no real competitors yet. hopefully azuntech or asus starts really pushing. hopefully.

I seriously wish someone would find Daniel_K and kick his ass for me. I'm sooooo fucking tired of this shit.

The facts are that Daniel_K is/was modifying and re-distributing Creative's intellectual property and BREAKING THE LAW. Creative Labs is perfectly within their rights to insist that he cease and desist redistribution of their intellectual property, and in the same position I would most definitely not be pussyfooting around. I'd take whatever legal action I could including a big fat lawsuit against this little fucker. Hell, I think Creative have been more than patient and forgiving on this.

In my opinion I think Creative's only mistake has been granting Daniel_K the leeway they have sofar including leading him to believe however briefly that they might actually tolerate him releasing hacked drivers and enabling 'features' that Creative chose not to enable on certain hardware.

And I'm no huge fanboy of Creative, especially where their software development team and hardware support is concerned. I'm certainly not defending them out of some kind of brand loyalty or whatever. What's right is right and what's wrong is wrong.

I'm sure Daniel_K had the best of intentions in the beginning but he is most certainly not above the law. Besides now I think he's becoming more of a whiney ass drama queen and he's certainly enjoying the notoriety and attention from all the forum trolls everywhere. :rolleyes:

Good post.

Great post, well said.

creative still sucks lol

all good points. what I hope will happen is that the next card actually gets updated drivers, fixes that don't take SEVERAL years to come out. I mean a fix isn't a fix if nobody plays the game anymore lol.

oh and I hope whoever is responsible for making the calls on such things finds his true calling and ............. lol I really can't print that thought.

Interesting thread.

I'm rebuilding my system this month and I'll admit that my sound card level of knowledge is quite low. I rarely visit the sound forum but I popped in here to see what people are recommending this days and this thread caught my eye. I wasn't aware of this whole daniel k thing but after some very preliminary googling on the subject I'd just like to make the following comments.

This is what I do know for sure. I have a SB Audigy card. It works fine under XP (I know it does because I installed in on my wifes XP system to make sure it actually worked with the features it was suppose to have). Now on my system that has Vista 64 I can't even tell if it's doing anything. None of the features that work on my wifes comp work in Vista. (Part of the whole reason why I installed in my wifes comp was because I initially thought that maybe I had a defective card).

Wish I had of know that there were hacked drivers to make it work, would have saved me a lot of frustration.

Anyways, here I am today looking for a new sound card and here's been my experience. I purchased an Audigy card based on creatives marketing. I know if I go really dig I'll find that they probably have a disclaimer somewhere that all the stated features aren't supported in Vista. That's sort of besides the point though. For the last year and a half I've had a sound card that doesn't appear to actually do anything. I can't enable hardware acceleration in any of the games I play. The EAX options are always greyed out for me in any game. When I installed the card on an XP system they work just fine.

I don't understand why one poster used a Nvidia analogy as it didn't make any sense. There aren't any nvidia tools that work on XP only Geforce cards. The analogy simply doesn't make sense to me as the nvidia tools weren't meant to be used on Geforce cards at all. Audigy cards are meant to provide hardware acceleration regardless of whether you have XP or Vista.

Well to get to the point, I've had a sound card that doesn't really provide me with any of the features that it should. From what I can tell this daniel k fellow found a way to enable the features that the card supports in Vista 64. I have no problem with Creative protecting their IP but I don't understand why they couldn't just do what daniel did. (of course unless they wanted to just use this as an excuse to force people to buy new sound cards that "support" vista.)

Now if I have this all wrong I'm sure one of you will correct me. But right now I'm not happy with my card and I really don't feel like buying a new creative card when they should have offered the support for Vista on the card I have now (which is marketed as having support in Vista but it really doesn't).

Why would I be interested in buying a new creative card when that has been my experience?

Back