CPU >>> VRM >>> GPU >>> RAD >>> PUMP

pclausen

Gawd
Curious what would be the best order in which to cool my 3 heat generating devices in my loop. Mobo is Crosshair Formula. I was thinking the following:

IMG_1145.JPG

The coolant goes from the pump out to the CPU in, then the VRMs, then the GPU and the RAD and back to the pump.

Rad is XSPC 480 and pump is EK D5 with build in res. GPU will be 3080 or 6800XT. CPU is 5900X.

I don't know if it matters which way the coolant flows through the VRM cooler?

Smoked Brisket beat me to it. Loop order does not matter at all. You just want to make sure the reservoir is on top of the pump so it gravity feeds in.

After that, in a well designed loop, the flow will be high enough that the the loop temp will be more or less the same in all parts of the loop.

Way too many beginners think of loops as some sort of static construct where the water enters the first block, warms up a bit there and then moves on to the next block and warms up a bit more, and then passes through the radiator which drops the temp, but unless you mess up and get really low flow rates (and thus really poor performance of the loop) this is not how it works.

In a well designed loop the coolant is flying through that thing at such a high speed that it barely rises in temperature from any of the blocks and barely loses any temperature from the radiators. The coolant moves so fast that you enter a kind of steady state where all of the coolant is just one large mass, with heat entering on one side and heat leaving on the other at the same time.

In this scenario order of components is completely irrelevant, as long as you start things by gravity feeding coolant into the pump so you don't kill it.

The biggest priority is making the most efficient routing between components, with as short lines as possible and as few sharp bends as possible.

Appreciate the feedback! I will route for neatest and shortest runs between components. My pump is the EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 so it has the reservoir built in on top of the pump.

One last question, the VRM cooling block, does the direction matter for it? It doesn't appear to be directional from what I can tell and there is no mention of it at all in the Asus manual for the Formula.

ekchill.PNG

Appreciate the feedback! I will route for neatest and shortest runs between components. My pump is the EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 so it has the reservoir built in on top of the pump.

One last question, the VRM cooling block, does the direction matter for it? It doesn't appear to be directional from what I can tell and there is no mention of it at all in the Asus manual for the Formula.

View attachment 297803

This one I can't speak to.

Does it come with a manual?

Some blocks reportedly work better with a flow in a certain direction, others not.

1BB5Q8P.jpg

3Q9e3Lf.jpg

Here's how I plumbed the last Asus vrm blocked board. You'll see I used an adjustable SLI fitting which makes bridging the gap easy. You then just have to pay attention to the port heights so have some slim spacers on hand.

Thanks for the pics! Yeah, once my 5600X gets here Thursday, I'll be able to mount my CPU block and measure the height difference between it and the VRM block inlet/outlet and get whatever elbow is the proper height from here:

https://www.primochill.com/collections/elbows

This will be my first all rigid tube build. Some of my previous builds:

5x 1080Ti: (2x 480 rads + 1x 240 rad)

core9-14.JPG

4x 1080Ti:

corsairseahawk.JPG

Back