Court Confiscates Kid’s Wii

HardOCP News

[H] News
What do you do with a 12 year old kid that has a rap sheet as long as his arm? Well, if you live in Winnipeg, the answer is to take away his Wii. Yeah, that’ll teach him. :rolleyes:

At a hearing last week, Garfinkle granted the boy bail, but only after he agreed to provide the court his most valued possession as security -- his Nintendo Wii. The boy's release conditions include keeping the peace, appearing for court dates, living with his grandmother and participating in a bail management program. If he breaches any of the conditions, it's bye-bye Wii.

It probably will if it is, in fact, his most valued possession.

He has probably already stolen another Wii and an XBox 360 and a PS3.

(Darth Vader's Voice)
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

If the court took my penus, I would straighten up real fast.

Wait- oh! NINTENDO Wii! OK- got it. Yeah I would continue to raise hell.

kid just needs a good ass whooping, pain a great attention getter:) remembered everything my dad told me when I was a kid.

Whan I was 7 (1976) the Police in my little town took my bike away for 2 weeks and made me write all the bike rules down on paper 100 times to get it back.

It made an impression on me and I still think about it sometimes. My parents didnt really get involved other than to yell at me for awhile.

It probably helped me in some way to develope a sense of respect in me for other people and the law. It certainly didnt hurt me any.

I live in Winnipeg and this is of no surprise to me. You should see what people get away with here. A guy just got released from prison here who tied up a man, sexually assaulted him, then cut him and rubbed laundry detergent in his wounds. He served 5 years in prison for this...

This kid is real trouble. I don't think I have ever seen such pitiful cries for help. So, in typical governmental fashion, instead of fixing the problem, they just try to patch it. Got news for ya, If what is eating at this kid remains, nothing you are doing is going to change him.

The Canadian Justice system is a joke. Regardless if you are an adult or not.
This kid clearly needs help though.

kid just needs a good ass whooping, pain a great attention getter:) remembered everything my dad told me when I was a kid.

No joke, whatever happned just beating your kids? I got my ass whooped when I was kid and I honestly think it made me a better person, in many many ways.

The Canadian Justice system is a joke. Regardless if you are an adult or not.
This kid clearly needs help though.

Truly and honestly (As in- "In practice") It's very similar to that of the USA.

This kid doesn't need to be arrested - he needs to be rehabilitated. Clearly, something's wrong in his life right now (Possibly many things).

Still, I'm all for creative punishment - I've seen it do better things than traditional incarceration.

I am sure glad they clarified it, if they did not spell out Nintendo Wii,

I almost worried they were going to make him a Unic.

its a young kid. he does not care about money. So yes.. I can see the judge doing this to teach him a lession.

As a 21 year old.I really LOL at this. Its quite funny, until you actually think about what it was like for me back then.. then I agree ^-^

Now he's probably going to go murder people and they'll say it was "video game-related" :rolleyes:

I'm not quite sure what hitting the boy will do. All he'll learn from it is that violence really is ok, because other people do it but aren't punished; so why should he?

1. The most likely result of the punishment is that the kid will be back on the street more than on the Wii.

2. Anyone who can't spell "penis" should probably not have one.

I live about an hour from Winnipeg. This is just another example of our judicial systems stupidity. There's a reason they're the crime capital of Canada.

I'm not quite sure what hitting the boy will do. All he'll learn from it is that violence really is ok, because other people do it but aren't punished; so why should he?

I agree but that is only the case for so long. You are speaking as if the child has no idea about how the world around him works. The kid in question is already 12 years old hes been in school for a while, hes been out in the real world. By the time my father was "physically" punishing me I understood why.

By physically punishing me I mean to spank. And by the time spanking didnt work I was already an adult pretty much, and had values. At that point you stop dealing with your son like a child and start handeling him like a man. And if he is still a shithead at this point. Guess what you fucked up and theres no fixing it.

No joke, whatever happned just beating your kids? I got my ass whooped when I was kid and I honestly think it made me a better person, in many many ways.

Some people beat their kids hard enough that the kids became injured for the rest of their lives or died. So now nobody gets to do it.

You guys are skimming over the fact that he's 12. Taking away his Wii is tantamount to capital punishment for most kids that age. He probably left the courtroom kicking and screaming

My dad used a belt. A long black belt with a double prong buckle and rivits all the way down. I'm a better person today because of it.

Save a child, Tan his hide.

I agree but that is only the case for so long. You are speaking as if the child has no idea about how the world around him works. The kid in question is already 12 years old hes been in school for a while, hes been out in the real world. By the time my father was "physically" punishing me I understood why.
Given that he's a repeat offender, I doubt he's very much in control of his emotions/actions, or else he has a skewed/inadequate view of morality. In both cases, physical punishment is unlikely to work.

military school

Its there for a reason.
Yeah. And that reason is to train people for combat. Not treat delinquents of their antisocial tendencies.

Or else make him a serial killer in the wings.

Taking the kids Wii probably hurts him much more than any belt could.

Taking his wii would hurt him more than a belt or whaatever would, once the pains gone he would forget about it.
I find it intresting he has a court order saying that he must not attend school, so that means he's out aimlessley wandering the streets bored.. so likely to cause more trouble?

Given that he's a repeat offender, I doubt he's very much in control of his emotions/actions, or else he has a skewed/inadequate view of morality. In both cases, physical punishment is unlikely to work.

Yeah. And that reason is to train people for combat. Not treat delinquents of their antisocial tendencies.

Or else make him a serial killer in the wings.

Wrong
Wrong
Wrong

1). You are dealing with a 12 year old.
2). Military school is effective because it teaches people discipline which has many uses. Most delinquents have no sense of discipline due to poor parenting (passed down from a previous generation mostly)
3). This is foolish. There are far more examples of corporal punishment being used with children who are now upstanding citizens compared to the very few who turn into "serial killers." I'm not saying corporal punishment is best in all situations, but to argue that it turns people into serial killers is stupid.

My dad used a belt. A long black belt with a double prong buckle and rivits all the way down. I'm a better person today because of it.

Hahaha. How true. I too got my ass beat (not child abused) and I too am a better person (I'd like to think I am:cool:).
To all you that didn't get spanked when you grew up: You were a good kid with good parents, or your parents were pansies and thus you are a pansy. :D

@Hofy was about to say something simlar.. lol

With a rap sheet that long, he will just steal another one...

Physical punishment never works and if anything only leads to more violence.

These kids need education, proper support from family and friends, and financial support.
It is as simple as that: and if you believe differently maybe you should spend a few years educating yourself on these kinds of problems before you make claims otherwise.

Physical punishment never works and if anything only leads to more violence.

These kids need education, proper support from family and friends, and financial support.
It is as simple as that: and if you believe differently maybe you should spend a few years educating yourself on these kinds of problems before you make claims otherwise.

Education...I think the Canadian system is adequate.
Financial support...the Canadian system is also very generous. Too generous with the past history of welfare frauds scamming the system while also working for cash under the table. As long as you get your story straight, you're pretty much guaranteed to not work and earn "free" money with the only downside is the government has access to your bank account/credit card/spending limitations.

Proper support from the family...I think the problem lies with the family. They haven't taught him the values necessary to be a "normal" person when he was young and here he is at 12. Of course, studies have proven that positive reinforcement works best. But to be honest, when I got "punished" (spankings are nothing), I didn't like it and my behavior changed for the better as a result. Then again, the kid might not have been raised properly to feel shame/guilt/whatever it is.

Linkies

Heres a link to a interesting study about what corporal punishment does to childrens IQ. might be of interest for the people who believe in beating. not all character flaws can be beaten out of people.

Linkies

Heres a link to a interesting study about what corporal punishment does to childrens IQ. might be of interest for the people who believe in beating. not all character flaws can be beaten out of people.

I think the problem is a confusion of beating for beating sake, and a realization that you discipline children because you care about them. I wouldn't advocate just giving kids beatings, but "spare the rod, spoil the child" is a pretty fair assessment of why kids act the way they do.

Linkies

And for the sake of argument, I did read over most of that paper. It did a good job explaining all this data, and then drawing the conclusion that the data they used was out of date at the end. Also the target ages of this study were up to 9 years old, so the 12-year old losing his Wii is not really applicable here.

They also drew the conclusion that kids are "smarter" because instead of being punished, they were reasoned with to show them why they were wrong. There are very, very few toddlers who are able to be reasoned with. And why the good intellectuals are busy reasoning with the toddlers trying to get them to change their behavior, I'll stand along side waving M&M's at them and we'll see who they pay attention to.

Back