Counterfeit 1055T?

RoGuE1230

Limp Gawd
I just received my X6 1055T today and I have a few concerns. The box was completely sealed. The box and HSF look very different than I had previously seen in unboxings on Youtube. The fan has no AMD sticker on it and the blades are a completely different design, as is the copper plate on the bottom and the way it connects to the heat pipes. Also, the boxes label location is slightly different from the review. Another thing that strikes me as odd is the AMD Vision label is a sticker, and it's crooked too. And the box the HSF came in was brown, and not white like every review shows.

Edit: I should note that I covered the serial numbers. They are indeed there on the box and processor.

Another issue is the certificate of authenticity does not have a sticker in it. It just has a blank box that says to record the serial number in.

I searched and found a post someone made in another forum, who has the EXACT same issues and also got it from Newegg. Even down to the issue of a slight fingerprint in the thermal pad already applied.

http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/840250-newegg-rma-issues-please-help.html

Was this just a packaging change? Should I contact AMD and see if this is legitimate?

Here is a link to the review to compare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmD9jWYnQSQ

Here are some pictures:

img4189p0.jpg

heatsink.jpg

processorfan.jpg

img41950.jpg

Well I recently bought the Phenom II X4 965 Deneb from Newegg. My cooler is like the other one but it does not have the AMD sticker, just no sticker at all. I thought the manual was pretty hard to read cause the ink wasn't dark enough. Other than that it works fine and all programs say it is what it is. My bet is these parts are made in some Asian country and they have their ways of cutting costs such as not giving each cooler an AMD sticker and what not. The fans, boxes, and chip probably come from 3 different manufacturing companies with numerous different factories practicing different methods. I wouldn't worry about the chip itself but you may have gotten cheap materials as the result of overseas manufacturing.

the cooler you have is a Phenom I cooler, better than the Phenom II ones IMO......its pretty much up to you, it seems to not be a new product so I would personally get a return/refund from newegg

i don't think there is any evidence of it being used, just the slight fingerprint in the thermal pad, and I can't say with 100% it wasn't me, but I didn't see any residue on my fingers.

In that other thread I linked to, he said he RMAed to Newegg and got the same thing.

Is contacting AMD the next step?

Oh, and I forgot to mention, there was a very fine white powder on top of the fan. You can see some of it left in the picture above.

Someone probably returned it and accidentally or deliberately included their Rev1 HSF - which is better than any later stock AMD HSF. Considering it still had the thermal pad preapplied, I'd assume it was simply an accident. The packaging is just a QA issue with the printer, and I think... just check with AMD as to the status of the warranty (explain your situation). If it's still intact, and the CPU still works, then you got a (slightly) marginal better end of a deal. Not a real bonus, but the HSF can probably handle some 15W more TDP.

AFAIK Foxconn has supplied the stock coolers for AMD for over a decade now. AMD will substitute any appropriate cooler on hand if the one that normally ships is not in stock/back ordered from the supplier.

This was quite common with AM2 Opterons. Sometimes you'd get a heat-pipe job like the old 939 Opterons, sometimes a regular aluminum cooler.

It's not counterfeit...Seriously.

I just contacted AMD about the no warranty sticker in the booklet, just to make sure there are no problems down the road. I'm sure the CPU is what it says it is. The whole thing will be put together by next Tuesday when the rest of my parts come in.

Also, are you sure this cooler is better? While the fan blades have a slightly more aggressive design, the copper slab on the bottom looks pretty rough and grainy compared to the real stock cooler.

I can say with 100% certainty that that CPU is legit. The sticker being misaligned means nothing. My 955 shipped to me directly from AMD had the same cooler style with the same misaligned sticker.

I also have another cooler from a 940 that has the non-AMD sticker. The serial number missing from the booklet is not uncommon. My 1055t and my Phenom 925 did not have stickers on their warranty booklets.

Okay, I feel better about all this now. I was just real worried about having to deal with an RMA at this point.

I got a 1055t from newegg a little over a month ago and got the cooler with the grey TIM on it.
It was a 1025 GPMW. What week did you get?

The hsf you got OP is the older upgraded HSF. They should have been phase out during the Phenom 1 days.

I got a 1055t from newegg a little over a month ago and got the cooler with the grey TIM on it.
It was a 1025 GPMW. What week did you get?

Mine is a 1032 FPMW.

I understand the date part of that code, but what do the letters mean?

Hmm Interesting..I just bought a 970 BE and it came with a sticker on the HSF....not using it though :D

wait the one I got looks like op's
I got mine from microcenter........
er.....

Also, are you sure this cooler is better? While the fan blades have a slightly more aggressive design, the copper slab on the bottom looks pretty rough and grainy compared to the real stock cooler.

Lap that thing

Yeah I think you're fine, run it and bench it and compare to others with the same cpu! Also watch the temps, even though everyone is saying its a better cooler

About 2-3 weeks ago I ordered the same processor from Newegg, and it came with that heatsink.

It's now in the machine, and CPU-Z confirms that it is indeed an X6 1055T

I got the same heatsink with no AMD sticker, didn't care. My CPU works fine, and its a 965. Looks like AMD changed their heatsink, but I couldn't care less what the POS heatsink looks like anyway.

I got that same heatsink with my old 940 - 965 came with the new shiny one which definitely isn't as badass.

I would say you're good. Although I'd be tempted to contact AMD about warranty info.

Same thing with the 955 I purchased for my friend. White sticker with some Numbers/date.

My 965 had a misaligned AMD Sticker.

That comes on about 30% of all phenoms/athlon IIs...I've encountered several. Nothing to worry about.

Not for nuthin', but how the hell do you fake a CPU? It's not like you can hack one up in your basement...

My 965 from newegg also came with an ugly heatsink, no sticker on fan, dirty scratched copper surface, fan looked beat up, the whole thing looked used/abused/recycled. But the CPU is just fine.

Back