Anyone ever order a retail 920 and get...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nix

Limp Gawd
So have you ever ordered a retail 920 and get a FAKE CPU and a plastic mold of the heat sink and fan with a sticker on it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow wtf? My retail 920 came "normal." What's the name of the place you got it from so I can add it to a "do not order from" list :eek:

What in the fuck? I am seriously not ordering from newegg again, seems like every week someone on here is saying they think they got a "new" item that was used. And that's just the people on the couple forums I go to, imagine all the other people that shop there. Not to mention the 9.75% tax and shipping charges on almost everything, oh and a craptastic 2% CB.

LOL looks like somebody took the "brick in the box" return scam to new levels.

I thought for a second when he said plastic mold he meant the tray the heatsink should come in. Guess not!

Dude that blows! But tbh, it's kinda funny. :D

Better not oc'in otherwise your heatsink/fan is going to melt. :D :D

Now that I'm a little more calm it is sort of funny. Though the CPU is also completely unusable also.

I hope they believe you...From the looks of that job I would guess that they guy that did that has done it before, why would you go though the trouble to make a mold for just one?

Maybe someone in the 'eggs packing and shipping dept?

Make sure you call their customer service dept first and explain what it going on.

e-mailing that photo to them as well would be a good idea.

I'm sorry but that's fucking hilarious.
I'd try to send back the CPU and try to keep the heatsink.

Maybe someone in the 'eggs packing and shipping dept?

I've never bought an Intel retail CPU - how are they packaged? Shrinkwrapped? Sticker? Would it be easy for a "customer" to return a CPU in what appears to be an unopened box? I could easily see weights being added to the box (rocks, or in this case a plastic mold) so the weight doesn't set off any alarm bells.

I've never bought an Intel retail CPU - how are they packaged? Shrinkwrapped? Sticker? Would it be easy for a "customer" to return a CPU in what appears to be an unopened box? I could easily see weights being added to the box (rocks, or in this case a plastic mold) so the weight doesn't set off any alarm bells.

What was weird is the box doesn't even look new. Maybe a year old or so. I was thinking this is an inside job also. Just too bizarre.

Last edited:
from the picture it looks like a piece of tin shaped like a cpu, and a clay model of a hs/f with a photo of a fan on top. this might be some kind of marketing mock-up? was the box sealed? does it have any kind of specs on the label?

Wow, I am at a loss for words. I just hope that they believe you.

What was weird is the box doesn't even look new. Maybe a year old or so. I was thinking this is an inside job also. Just to bizarre.

What's the batch number on the box? I think it would be on the bottom on a sticker. That should be a good indicator of how old the box is.

I would be fuckin livid.

They better give you a free 920 for that.

Some QC huh

What's the batch number on the box? I think it would be on the bottom on a sticker. That should be a good indicator of how old the box is.

It says #3938B006

CPU says 3920B639 Costa Rica.

And no, this isn't a joke. I really wish it was, all day I was looking forward putting it all together.

looks like they got less secure, i7 920 on left E7200 on right( there is also a "factory seal" off frame on the e7200box)

click for larger

Hope you get it straightened out, had a recent processor shipment problem from newegg myself. Had ordered 2 - Xeon X3460 processors, but when it arrived there was only one in the box but the packing list said there should be 2. No problem though, called newegg support and they took care of it. I had the missing processor in about a week (a little longer that I would have liked, but not too bad). The company I work for has done prob around $500k business with newegg and this was the first problem we have ever had from them. Hope its not the beginning of a trend though.

Can you please take a picture of the top of the cpu as i would like to see that.

It says #3938B006

CPU says 3920B639 Costa Rica.

And no, this isn't a joke. I really wish it was, all day I was looking forward putting it all together.

If I remember how to read those codes - the first 3 means it was assembled in Costa Rica, the 9 means it was assembled in 2009, and the 38 means it was week 38 of 2009. It's not that old.

This is pretty awesome... I'd say it would be worth waiting an extra couple days given the experience.
Hopefully they do not have trouble believing you though.

Man if that isn't the weirdest thing i have seen in a long time. I remember buying a new phone from walmart and getting home unboxing it and plugged it in had 3 messages on the answering machine and like 20 names on the caller-id.

Hope you get it sorted as that is just bad business there.

This is pretty awesome... I'd say it would be worth waiting an extra couple days given the experience.
Hopefully they do not have trouble believing you though.

I have a feeling that I wasn't the first one with this problem. The lady on the phone kept saying how sorry she was. Figured I would have to convince them I wasn't full of crap, but she sent one out next day with UPS.

I'm going to call them back tomorrow and see if they will let me keep the "heatsink & fan".

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6422425

Some more pictures from a friend:

2vc93ja.jpg

28uprb7.jpg

vhs8g.jpg

2uhbwqq.jpg

WOW. O yea I completely forgot about the blank Instruction book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back