counter-strike source still good?

heh, I created this saying for cs 1.6 but it holds true for source:

Once you start playing counter strike, you cant quit it, it quits you.

All of Valve's multiplayer gamers are absolutely terrible if you consider yourself a hardcore gamer. The reason their online games are so popular is because they make sure their games don't have a learning curve. Without the learning curve their games are easily sold to an extremely wide audience. Movie makers do the same thing by creating focus groups and removing anything from the movie one individual might not like so it has a broader appeal. Unfortunately, this also makes the movie much less appealing than it would have been to a small portion of the audience (which would be the hardcore gamers in this analogy).

For an example, just compare Team Fortress 2 and Team Fortress Classic. All of the more challenging aspects have been removed like grenades and conc jumping. Sure, more people will play TF2 but it will never be as good as TFC.

There aren't many games today that break this formula. Unreal Tournament, the Battlefield series, and possibly the CoD series (I haven't played it yet) are about as close as you will get. But if you want to see an extreme example of games that were designed specifically with hardcore gamers in mind look at Tribes 1 & 2, nothing has come close them and probably never will because they didn't sell well. The learning curve was so high it took half a year for most people to just become decent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribes_2#Gameplay

Wow I've gotta disagree with you totally.

Counter Strike and Counters Strike Source are the two corner stones of any hard core gamer. I mean I guess it depends on your definition of "hard core", but I think in any fps that means organized, and hence, in league play. If you take a look at any of the lan/online tournaments such as cal or cevo, the team list for counterstrike and counterstrike source is at least twice as long as any other game.

I've been playing Counterstrike 1.6 (the precursor to CS:S, you can get it for $9.99 now ;) for more then 4 years now and I still havn't made it to the top of the learning curve. Once you learn how to shoot, great, your still going to get owned in any game that matters. It was interesting, gamespot gave counterstrike 1.6 a learning curve of "about 30 minutes". I'll tell you what, to get to the top of the learning curve imho, you need to be able to go 1kill:1 death in say a cal I'm or m match. I don't think they did that, hell I don't think they even managed the 1:1 in a pub.

@ si0dine

Tribes 1 was great, tribes 2 was not so great. While I agree with you that TF2 is crap, CS 1.6 and to a lesser extent Source definitely have a learning curve. I'm all for hardcore games but you have to draw the line somewhere, as good as tribes was it's dead now, while 200k people play CS every day.

It's my fallback game. I've had it since it was beta and still play it to this day. There are lots of mods and stuff that keep the game entertaining past the regular game play. Mods like surf, zombie, etc.

As much as I dislike CS, the game is the prodigy of online FPS. Its simple and fun...On the other hand, the game is infected by foul-mouthed teens.
When it comes to online FPS, CS is easily the most competitive. Its not like other games that rely on player classes, its pure even playing field that leads to some of the hardest and competitive player bases.

There are so many players on the net that play different FPS games. I dont care how good you are at battlefield, COD or any other FPS....your not a "great" player until you have played competitive CS.

CS:S is incredible....i dont buy other games because i know i really wont play them...

I only buy 360 games now lol

Anyone remember AQ2?

Or how about that star wars mod for the original quake...

Meh... after I realized the skill involved to play RA3 / CPMA for Quake 3, I lost all interest in CS... I started playing CS when there was 100 servers, and after it became retail, it went downhill... CS is popular because its easy to get into, and has some skill depth. RA3 / CPMA aren't popular because its hard to get into, and nobody likes learning skills while getting owned over and over for months until you figure it out... Only the truly tough and experienced gamers stick around.

However, CS is the best place to find people playing an online FPS. You should never have to worry about not finding people playing or a decent pinging server... just be wary of little boys and others that think they are "1337" lol... they can really hurt your ears and eyes... I've seen lifeforms lower than breathing feces on cs servers.

For those of you that are called 'hackers' and enjoy some office play, come and join me at the Webkillers Office1 67.106.77.230:27015 server. I am the LSA (lead server admin) and I get to decide who hacks, walls, etc, and I am very fair. I've seen my fair share of them and if you're just good, you're more than welcome to join up!

There are a lot of regular, very skilled players, one, being myself. =) See you around

look for Biff

steam name: v8maro2

Meh... after I realized the skill involved to play RA3 / CPMA for Quake 3, I lost all interest in CS... I started playing CS when there was 100 servers, and after it became retail, it went downhill... CS is popular because its easy to get into, and has some skill depth. RA3 / CPMA aren't popular because its hard to get into, and nobody likes learning skills while getting owned over and over for months until you figure it out... Only the truly tough and experienced gamers stick around.

However, CS is the best place to find people playing an online FPS. You should never have to worry about not finding people playing or a decent pinging server... just be wary of little boys and others that think they are "1337" lol... they can really hurt your ears and eyes... I've seen lifeforms lower than breathing feces on cs servers.

same here.

the learning curve of other cs is bleh compared to a lot of other games. it doesnt come close to games like quake, tribes, qwtf, q2wf, hl1ag, tfc, wolfet, and etqw. not even close.

I love CS:S. I play it in my sleep :)

I have webkillers on my favorites but because of my currently unstable connection I get consistently kicked. No one's fault but mine, but I can vouch that webkillers is a good css server ;)

ive been playing cs since 99, to be honest at first i completely sucked and was too impatient to make it thru that "30" min learning curve. but then again i was playing at an internet cafe in brooklyn and getting owned by kids who play night and day.

so i gave up for a time. picked back up in 02/03 and got into it a lil more played on an off till cs:cz came out and i started practicing with bots, first on easy then till it was hard and i could be consistant. then i figured i should last a lil while but that went on backburner afer a lil while again.

come 2 yrs ago my 2 bro n laws got me back into cs and cs:s and after playing other fps's
mainly the bf series and its mods, i got good enough to hold my own for a lil while in the pubs .. then i found gungame and dm, then gungame/dm which is even better and i noticed due to the higher speed level of play i wanted to play more and got considerably better....faster.. now when i go server hopping thru GG and DM servers i'll get kicked or banned cause they believe im hacking.

and it is pretty sad bout all these 8.5yr olds and there foul mouths but usually i'll just mute em n continnue to listen cause sometimes i'll get on a server that actually uses "some" teamwork

i do like online games but have only ever played one online FPS, that being Warrock its a Free to play game.

so to get to the point i have heard very good things about counter-strike source but i do know its quite an "old" game now. do alot of people still play? and do you guys think its still worth buying?

i was also thinking of buying BF2142 however i prefer present day urban feel of CSS as apposed to laser cannons and stuff:D

any other suggestions to a good team-based online FPS would be great. cash is a little tight ATM so i can only realy buy one game for the next few months:)

I relly like BF2142, I stopped playing due to the lack of free time and COD4. I am thinking about reinstalling it. Once you get used to it, you will be surprized by how balanced and how fun the game is for the most part.

What blows my mind is that despite all the hype about companies making "Counter-Strike Killers" back about 6 years ago not one was ever really made.

Why? I have no idea, especially since the formula is so simple....

Small tactics-friendly maps (also meaning they take less resources to make!) (TFC2 maps are even too large... Keep them small!!!!).
No respawn during rounds.
Simple objectives.
Gear buying at the start of each round.
Easily modded and easy to build new maps.
Weapons that vary in accuracy with movement and ROF.

You could throw in some other game types, including popular CS style modes like a zombie mode, an RPG with super-powers and/or monster powers, and Gungame. It could even have a TFC style mode quite easily...

Yeah, CS:S is doing most of this fine still today, but imagine what a new version with LOTS of built in variations, great graphics, interesting maps, and even better physics could be like... It seems like such an obvious game to make, but all we ever get is endless variations on Quake, Battlefield, and COD. When do we get a new variation on CS DAMMNIT???

The engine is more matured right now and the new buying system makes sense too.

I bought CS when it first came out like a decade ago. There was a great deal of skill involved with that version, the really skilled players were able to bunny hop across buildings and kill entire teams by themselves in a few minutes. You used to be able to jump while shooting accurately which allowed you to dodge shots instead of the duck, point, shoot strategy today. And this was all before there was even such a thing as wallhacks, so you knew it was skill.

I skipped most of the thread so I have no idea if anyone responded to this. But anyways, if this counts as a "skill", then count me out. Using an exploit to jump around like an idiot with NO recoil is broken gameplay, not a skill.

I skipped most of the thread so I have no idea if anyone responded to this. But anyways, if this counts as a "skill", then count me out. Using an exploit to jump around like an idiot with NO recoil is broken gameplay, not a skill.

lol. you have a window of less then 10ms to get the jump off when you land to achieve a "bunny hop". When your bunny hopping you gotta look side to side, so you cant just look straight at the enemy and shoot while b hopping.

Anyways b-hopping in 1.6 is doable, but its a bitch.

b-hopping is kind of sluggish and you can assault the player quite easily

Back