Counter Strike: Global Offensive

What is your main rank?

I started off on my main account as mg2. After I came back from a two year break, I was rusty, played with some really bad silvers, and now I am nova 2 and on the way back up. One thing I noticed between higher ranks vs lower ranks isn't skill based, but tactics and communication. It's funny tbh. There are some people with some hardcore talent as silver and nova, but there team play is why they stay in the lower ranks. I am thinking my new account will fair much better.
 
I can usually tell within the first 30 seconds of a round whether or not I'm going to have a chance at winning. If the teammates don't speak english, or don't have a mic at all it is bad news.

Still sitting at Nova 1. I don't play with the same people anymore, so it is all randoms.
 
I can usually tell within the first 30 seconds of a round whether or not I'm going to have a chance at winning. If the teammates don't speak english, or don't have a mic at all it is bad news.

Still sitting at Nova 1. I don't play with the same people anymore, so it is all randoms.

I agree, you can usually tell during the warmup how its going to go. Get in and no one is saying hi or anything, second the match starts "Anyone got a mic", no answer, crap!!!!!!

Me and Bravo played 2 games the other night, first game, no one was chatting much at all cept me and Bravo and one other guy, one dude didn't even have sound and the other dude just barely spoke at all, we lost pretty bad.

Second game, everyone was talking, we did very well.

Just depends.

I am currently Silver 4 at the moment, been silver elite for 3 matches, lost all 3 because of very bad pub teammates who barely spoke. Cant ever seem to get higher because I always end up getting crap teammates.
 
Got up to Nova 2. It really feels like Silver Elite/ Nova 1 is the highest I can get playing in pubs without any friends.
 
I agree, you can usually tell during the warmup how its going to go. Get in and no one is saying hi or anything, second the match starts "Anyone got a mic", no answer, crap!!!!!!

Me and Bravo played 2 games the other night, first game, no one was chatting much at all cept me and Bravo and one other guy, one dude didn't even have sound and the other dude just barely spoke at all, we lost pretty bad.

Second game, everyone was talking, we did very well.

Just depends.

I am currently Silver 4 at the moment, been silver elite for 3 matches, lost all 3 because of very bad pub teammates who barely spoke. Cant ever seem to get higher because I always end up getting crap teammates.

Sounds like this should be an option in game.

In the auto matchup screen tick a box that says "require mic", then everyone joining that server has to read a random test phrase from their screen into their mic, to prove they are using one.
 
The balance is what's important. I find most players just talk too much.

All you really should be saying is:

1. Have a general plan at round start, as CT's you should be sticking to same area so not much needs to be said after the first round or two.

2. Call out the location and weapon of each player you see; really just rifle, awp, or eco.

3. As CT's, call out number you see entering site, don't just say A or B.

4. If you're killed what damage you dealt.

5. Call out bomb sightings and location of footsteps heard.

That's really about it. No one cares what you unboxed the other day or how you've deranked recently because your teams have been so bad. Saying more than what's absolutely necessary is just as bad or worse than saying nothing. A random team that communicates properly is a rare find indeed.
 
The balance is what's important. I find most players just talk too much.

All you really should be saying is:

1. Have a general plan at round start, as CT's you should be sticking to same area so not much needs to be said after the first round or two.

2. Call out the location and weapon of each player you see; really just rifle, awp, or eco.

3. As CT's, call out number you see entering site, don't just say A or B.

4. If you're killed what damage you dealt.

5. Call out bomb sightings and location of footsteps heard.

That's really about it. No one cares what you unboxed the other day or how you've deranked recently because your teams have been so bad. Saying more than what's absolutely necessary is just as bad or worse than saying nothing. A random team that communicates properly is a rare find indeed.

Agreed. CS isn't a private phone call.

I don't play matches, but often when pubbing I find I need to do a "voice_scale 0" to be able to play at all, as it is just too noisy.

That being said, I am curious.

#4 is legal? It sounds a lot like ghosting to me.

it would seem like if you are killed you should no longer be able to speak.

In a world of Ventrilo and Teamspeak, I have no idea how you'd police this, but...
 
Zarathustra[H];1041432304 said:
Agreed. CS isn't a private phone call.

I don't play matches, but often when pubbing I find I need to do a "voice_scale 0" to be able to play at all, as it is just too noisy.

That being said, I am curious.

#4 is legal? It sounds a lot like ghosting to me.

it would seem like if you are killed you should no longer be able to speak.

In a world of Ventrilo and Teamspeak, I have no idea how you'd police this, but...

It's not illegal because it's not ghosting. In comp matches you can only cycle between your surviving teammates in first person, so you can't see anything they can't, with the exception of the few seconds after you die and the camera is on your body.

That being said after you die you shouldn't say anything other than the location of the person that killed you, where they're heading, and what damage you dealt. You should definitely shut up other than that unless a teammate wants you to make calls for them. This can be useful as the pressing the push to talk button can be another form of distraction. Also, I'm pretty sure sometimes teams will have a dedicated "caller" or coach, that will make calls the entire round regardless of whether they are alive or not. This obviously isn't something you'd see in matchmaking.
 
So on the new account, match making decided to put me with the most elite of ranks... Like pro skill ranks... I only got three kills lol.
 
So on the new account, match making decided to put me with the most elite of ranks... Like pro skill ranks... I only got three kills lol.

Unranked comp matchmaking right? Yea you're playing other smurfs, you won't find anyone new to cs in unranked matchmaking. Check their steam profiles, they'll either be private or brand new 90% of the time.
 
Someone accused me of hacking a couple weeks ago and used the phrase "Fucking doppler". I guess he was referring to Doppler Radar and claiming I could see where everyone was. Since then it's become my favorite phrase. At least once a match you'll hear me call someone out "sweet doppler bro". No one knows what the hell I'm talking about and it's wonderful. I also have x-ray vision apparently

10897930_10152925081911460_9067273784277248269_n.jpg
 
Unranked comp matchmaking right? Yea you're playing other smurfs, you won't find anyone new to cs in unranked matchmaking. Check their steam profiles, they'll either be private or brand new 90% of the time.

These were legit ranks. I was playing against four legendary eagle masters and one supreme master first class.
 
Someone accused me of hacking a couple weeks ago and used the phrase "Fucking doppler". I guess he was referring to Doppler Radar and claiming I could see where everyone was. Since then it's become my favorite phrase. At least once a match you'll hear me call someone out "sweet doppler bro". No one knows what the hell I'm talking about and it's wonderful. I also have x-ray vision apparently

10897930_10152925081911460_9067273784277248269_n.jpg

It happens, and I don't blame people for accusing others.

When you get good at the game, and you learn to listen for location, it can actually appear as if you are following people through walls.

This has been exacerbated by people watching other players after dying now that the game shows the outline of other players through the walls. They see the cursor falling on someone through a wall, and immediately suspect hacking, when really we just play this game way too much, and have learned all the good spots, and know how to listen for location.

The cursor won't always line up exactly with the player outline, but sometimes it randomly will, and that's when they lose their shit.

That being said, if it starts happening A LOT by the same player, even I start getting suspicious.

That doppler line is hilarious. though!

I - too - got my first hack accusation in a very long time the other day. (I guess I am getting closer to playing at the level I once did). Don't blame them though. I had just insta AK headshotted half their team (5 out of 10) in about 25 seconds.

Even I was in disbelief.
 
Zarathustra[H];1041432477 said:
It happens, and I don't blame people for accusing others.

When you get good at the game, and you learn to listen for location, it can actually appear as if you are following people through walls.

This has been exacerbated by people watching other players after dying now that the game shows the outline of other players through the walls. They see the cursor falling on someone through a wall, and immediately suspect hacking, when really we just play this game way too much, and have learned all the good spots, and know how to listen for location.

The cursor won't always line up exactly with the player outline, but sometimes it randomly will, and that's when they lose their shit.

That being said, if it starts happening A LOT by the same player, even I start getting suspicious.

That doppler line is hilarious. though!

I - too - got my first hack accusation in a very long time the other day. (I guess I am getting closer to playing at the level I once did). Don't blame them though. I had just insta AK headshotted half their team (5 out of 10) in about 25 seconds.

Even I was in disbelief.


Yeah you just get timing and stuff down. In maps like Dust 2 in just casual pubbing I can count the seconds between the time it takes me to get to doors long A from T spawn versus CT. So i can be at the door waiting for the CTs to come around for free awp kills. It must frustrate the hell out of casual players but thats life.

I quit playing competitive for a while so I didn't have any rank. I'm just a 2 star since I played my first match the other day. I'm not very good just really out of practice. I'm trying to follow team instructions not knowing what the hell "hut" "secret" or "mini" refers to and end up just getting myself killed being distracted. I forgot how much work being on a team is.
 
Last edited:
I quit playing competitive for a while so I didn't have any rank. I'm just a 2 star since I played my first match the other day. I'm not very good just really out of practice. I'm trying to follow team instructions not knowing what the hell "hut" "secret" or "mini" refers to and end up just getting myself killed being distracted. I forgot how much work being on a team is.

I've never really played competitively, but I've been playing since beta 4 in 1999, and played A LOT in college. These days I'm VERY out of practice by comparison.

In college I ran the official Umass servers (Yodas Barn), and we organized a lan party. During that lan party in ~2003, was the only time I played a match. Myself and the other server admins formed an impromptu team and squared off against a couple of the clans that played on our servers, and did fairly well actually.

Other than that, it's been all pubbing for me. 16 years of it got me to the point where I was pretty decent, but still no matches :p

I've always enjoyed the more competitive play style rather than just goofing around, but it's tough to get that on a public server, and even when you do, the new rounds are short, and I dislike the simplified buying (no armor/kit/ammo). I'd try the random competitive matchups, but there are too may distractions at home for me to be 100% certain that I can stick with a match for the best of 15 rounds or whatever it is.

Also, all of the people I used to play CS with quit in like 2004, so I can't put together a team of friends :p
 
These were legit ranks. I was playing against four legendary eagle masters and one supreme master first class.

So you ranked really high after your first 10 then?

Zarathustra[H];1041432602 said:
I've always enjoyed the more competitive play style rather than just goofing around, but it's tough to get that on a public server, and even when you do, the new rounds are short, and I dislike the simplified buying (no armor/kit/ammo).

Armor and kits are purchasable in competitive, and head armor is still separate. Ammo is replenished each round however, I find that more of a convenience than anything, but I'm impartial.
 
One thing I found when my buddy and I made it up to double ak was that almost every match had at least 1 person cheating. I lost count of the amount of times a teammate would openly say on the mic he had a wall hack on and would call out spots to us. That is when I kind of lost the notion that higher ranks were purely skill. Once you get up there, just acknowledge that people are using hacks. We never wanted to risk losing our accounts, but a ton of people just don't give a fuck.
 
We never wanted to risk losing our accounts, but a ton of people just don't give a fuck.

Well, for me it's the principle of the thing. I wouldn't install a hack, even if there were no repercussions at all. Couldn't pay me to :p

But it makes m e wonder, what happens if you get a VAC ban? Does it just band your copy of CS, or is your entire Steam account affected?

Actually I guess it doesn't matter, as people who are dedicated enough would just set up a separate account for CS, and if caught, just eat the $14.99
 
It doesn't ban your entire account. If you start snooping around everyone's steam profile as you play you'll encounter people where it says how many VAC Bans they have had on an account display on their main steam profile page.
 
Zarathustra[H];1041433045 said:
Well, for me it's the principle of the thing. I wouldn't install a hack, even if there were no repercussions at all. Couldn't pay me to :p

But it makes m e wonder, what happens if you get a VAC ban? Does it just band your copy of CS, or is your entire Steam account affected?

Actually I guess it doesn't matter, as people who are dedicated enough would just set up a separate account for CS, and if caught, just eat the $14.99

Your steam account for any game using VAC. You can still play all your games just not multiplayer for any VAC banned titles. I've never been VAC banned I've had my account since 04, one time my roommates installed the CSS infra hack where it lets you see peoples outlines. They were just playing around not actually playing anyone, but when I got home I about set them on fire and removed it.

It's not 14.99. When you see CSGO going on sale for 2.50 or 99 cents you can watch the trend, people will buy 20 or 30 copies for use as smurf and hack accounts.

I take pride in anything I'm actually good at and would never hack on principle either.
 
It's not 14.99. When you see CSGO going on sale for 2.50 or 99 cents you can watch the trend, people will buy 20 or 30 copies for use as smurf and hack accounts.

This exactly. And a lot of little shits also exploit Steam's family sharing and cheat with puppet accounts. I wouldn't be surprised if Valve ends up disabling family sharing on Steam accounts after a guest they shared to gets banned, or perhaps after it's happened X number of times. Or maybe they've implemented that already, I don't follow it. But I get the feeling that people using family sharing for cheating will lead to yet another "this is why we can't have nice things" situation where it gets more restricted for everyone else.
 
Last edited:
This exactly. And a lot of little shits also exploit Steam's family sharing and cheat with puppet accounts. I wouldn't be surprised if Valve ends up disabling family sharing on Steam accounts after a guest they shared to gets banned, or perhaps after it's happened X number of times. Or maybe they've implemented that already, I don't follow it. But I get the feeling that people using family sharing for cheating will lead to yet another "this is why we can't have nice things" situation where it gets more restricted for everyone else.

Nah, you cant cheat on family accounts:


Will I be punished for any cheating or fraud conducted by other users while playing my games?

Your Family Library Sharing privileges may be revoked and your account may also be VAC banned if your library is used by others to conduct cheating or fraud. Additionally, VAC-banned games cannot be shared. We recommend you only authorize familiar computers you know to be secure. And as always, never give your password to anyone.
 
It looks like you can cheat on family accounts, but once an account is VAC-banned, you can't share it anymore. So, it's a one night stand for cheating.
 
Since we have matchmaking, I wish there were a way to play with people similar to yourself.

Firstly, it is damned depressing to play a game I have been playing for 16 years and hear a kid who hasn't even hit puberty yelling profanities on the other side of the mic.

Secondly, I have both a job and a family. I will never be able to spend more than at most 4 hours per week in this (or any) game.

Practice makes perfect, so I will never be able to keep up with those who spend an astonishing amount of time in game (I've seen 80-120 hours per week (!?)).

It would be awesome if your age were confirmed in your profile, and you could select to only play with people over a certain age (like 30+)
 
Zarathustra[H];1041457859 said:
Since we have matchmaking, I wish there were a way to play with people similar to yourself.

Firstly, it is damned depressing to play a game I have been playing for 16 years and hear a kid who hasn't even hit puberty yelling profanities on the other side of the mic.

Secondly, I have both a job and a family. I will never be able to spend more than at most 4 hours per week in this (or any) game.

Practice makes perfect, so I will never be able to keep up with those who spend an astonishing amount of time in game (I've seen 80-120 hours per week (!?)).

It would be awesome if your age were confirmed in your profile, and you could select to only play with people over a certain age (like 30+)

I can agree to a point. For regular play I have in game mic's turned off, must more pleasant experience and I can hear the damn foot steps lol. CS:GO took a bit of getting used to VS CS and CS:S but once over the initial hurdle your old skill will be useful, just needs a bit of tweaking.

I still find shot registration is bit off here and there and lag seems to = teleporting targets almost all of the time which I don't recall seeing even when I played on dial up in 1.0.

I think after 2 or 3 hours of steady play I started figuring out the differences from CS:S and then started doing better.
 
Casual was at its absolute worst today. I join a server only to have my entire team be kids under 12 and no its not profanities anymore ITS THE GODDAMN SKINS. I wish they'd just get rid of them. I'd give them $50 straight up right now full retail to have the skins gone. It's so goddamned annoying to have to mute every single person just to not get spamed with the trading and shit talking about skins. In theory great idea. In practice worst fuckin idea ever. Notice the whole cslounge scandal was over skins too.
 
Zarathustra[H];1041457859 said:
Since we have matchmaking, I wish there were a way to play with people similar to yourself.

Firstly, it is damned depressing to play a game I have been playing for 16 years and hear a kid who hasn't even hit puberty yelling profanities on the other side of the mic.

Secondly, I have both a job and a family. I will never be able to spend more than at most 4 hours per week in this (or any) game.

Practice makes perfect, so I will never be able to keep up with those who spend an astonishing amount of time in game (I've seen 80-120 hours per week (!?)).

It would be awesome if your age were confirmed in your profile, and you could select to only play with people over a certain age (like 30+)

Even if you had every person on the server at the same kill death ratio the outcome would not be even across the boards. The particular game(map) always fits better in someones' pocket. My suggestion is play like I do... for fun and in time you will get better. Learn to stay away from sniper lanes because those are death unless you want to battle them like for like. Find routes to rush and flank.

There are a lot of kids playing. Considering this game is partially a chat room I can understand. But change the room or mute. There are 300,000 players I am sure other rooms won't be as bad. Sometimes I enjoy the chatter of whoever and find myself laughing, while other times I turn off voice chat in the options for silence which stops the chat writing on the screen also.
 
Even if you had every person on the server at the same kill death ratio the outcome would not be even across the boards. The particular game(map) always fits better in someones' pocket. My suggestion is play like I do... for fun and in time you will get better. Learn to stay away from sniper lanes because those are death unless you want to battle them like for like. Find routes to rush and flank.

There are a lot of kids playing. Considering this game is partially a chat room I can understand. But change the room or mute. There are 300,000 players I am sure other rooms won't be as bad. Sometimes I enjoy the chatter of whoever and find myself laughing, while other times I turn off voice chat in the options for silence which stops the chat writing on the screen also.

Don't get me wrong.

I have been playing CS for 16 years. GO is slightly different, but still mostly the same.

From a strategy and knowledge perspective I'm probably as good as I am going to get, at least on the classic maps I am familiar with.

What I lack is simply keeping current with the non knowledge parts of the game. The practice aspect of it. Back when I was playing 8-10 hours a day in college during the beta 4 through 1.6 days I was pretty damned good, but this stuff fades quickly if you don't keep it up.

These days I will never be able to get in that kind of practice. It would be nice to play with people in the same situation, not with people who are now where I was in 2000-2003
 
Last edited:
Zarathustra[H];1041458769 said:
Don't get me wrong.

I have been playing CS for 16 years. GO is slightly different, but still mostly the same.

From a strategy and knowledge perspective I'm probably as good as I am going to get, at least on the classic maps I am familiar with.

What I lack is simply keeping current with the non knowledge parts of the game. The practice aspect of it. Back when I was plating 8-10 hours a day in college during the beta 4 through 1.6 days I was pretty dambed good, but this stuff fades quickly if you don't keep it up.

These days I will never be able to get in that kind of practice. It would be nice to play with people in the same situation, not with people who are now where I was in 2000-2003

When I was jobless, was doing great, was averaging 6 hours a day maybe, than walked away for a long time.

Came back, got CS:GO, I play when I have time, maybe 2-3 hours a week, sometimes I can get a full day in once every other week, but I know what rank I should be and where I know I will end up staying.

I should be Silver Elite, not great, but good enough that I can hold my own and maintain a 1-1 KDR while playing objectively.

I am S4 atm, and not unhappy with it other than the fact that I always get 2 games with terrible team-mates, than a game or two with good peeps, than it repeats all over again. I still, even in bad games can usually have a positive KDR and end up being the best overall on the team. It just happens. I'm over it.
 
When I started playing csgo only a couple months ago I didn't want to go into it trying to be great. I did that way back in 2003 with cod 1 and I know what it takes. The time put in does not equal the reward for all that hard work. Matter of fact the time lost is much more valuable than the reward which is nothing more than rep points from people you get to know.

So going into it this time is for pure fun. I bring a set a skills to the game like all of you and just use what I got. besides I am using this game as a stop gap for Killing Floor 2 and then Black Ops 3.

csgo is cool though. It has many grass roots of fps games built into the game.
 
Casual was at its absolute worst today. I join a server only to have my entire team be kids under 12 and no its not profanities anymore ITS THE GODDAMN SKINS. I wish they'd just get rid of them. I'd give them $50 straight up right now full retail to have the skins gone. It's so goddamned annoying to have to mute every single person just to not get spamed with the trading and shit talking about skins. In theory great idea. In practice worst fuckin idea ever. Notice the whole cslounge scandal was over skins too.

Just turn off in game voice. If you play on the competitive side your PTT key should turn it back on automatically unless they changed that. I have not had my mic enabled in CS since GO released, so much more pleasant :)
 
Just turn off in game voice. If you play on the competitive side your PTT key should turn it back on automatically unless they changed that. I have not had my mic enabled in CS since GO released, so much more pleasant :)

seems to be the trend. Unfortunately I actually like interacting with people on casual, I still meet a decent number of cool people otherwise I would.
 
So going into it this time is for pure fun. I bring a set a skills to the game like all of you and just use what I got. besides I am using this game as a stop gap for Killing Floor 2 and then Black Ops 3.

I would agree. Its just for fun for me too now, but its tough to have fun when the skill levels are so mixed.

You have some people who have never played before and are worse than bots, and then you have the unemployed/professionals/students/whatever who have every single spot on every single map figured out and get 100 hours a week of practice so they can't twictch to an instant headshot across the map with any weapon while jumping...

Some games are fun, but others become a "instant death as soon as you leave spawn" type deal, which is most definitely not fun.

Would love to have a server full of us 30+ "old timers" who have the experience, but just don't keep the twitchy skills current due to the inability to practice as much as we used to.
 
This is what CS:GO is though, it's not a pick up and play a couple hours/week game. That's what COD and, IMO, Battlefield 3/4 are for. It's got a steep learning curve. If you're familiar with the formula and mechanics then mapping your muscle memory is simply a matter of practice and time. Just play dm with everyone muted until you're comfortable, then get into competitive MM. Also, I only see kids in casual, demo, and dm. Most of the time you'll be playing with adults in competitive as long as you're at least above silver. The biggest problem you'll find with these "adults", is raging. Most people in MM can't lose a few rounds in a row and keep cool about it. They'll start buying shotties and scouts and accuse people of cheating. If you can manage to get to MGE/DMG/LE start playing CEVO and/or EASA, far less trolling there.
 
Shooting from the hip with no aiming down site on most weapons in CSGO and no prone at all doesn't seem cutting edge like COD has. Part of the learning curve in CSGO comes from trying to figure out how to keep the bullets in a small pattern to hit the target. Crouching helps but if you hold the trigger to full auto your bullets spread a lot. COD bullet spread is far less in full auto making it seem easier. CSGO you have to properly work bullet spread to take someone down fast. That is unless you are sniping of sorts or up in someones face with an auto.

So it seems CSGO on paper is less realistic with no prone and no aim down sites on all guns, but it makes up for that with a bullet spread that needs controlled and that takes some practice. And the hit boxes seem smaller which adds to the need for good accuracy while shooting.

I'm not a fan of animation death sequences. So plus points for CSGO with their full ragdoll.
 
It's not 14.99. When you see CSGO going on sale for 2.50 or 99 cents you can watch the trend, people will buy 20 or 30 copies for use as smurf and hack accounts.

I take pride in anything I'm actually good at and would never hack on principle either.

Where have you seen CS:GO for $2.50 or $.99? The lowest I have ever seen this game was $3.74 and that was ages ago. Because of the huge influx of cheaters whenever the price drops so low, I don't see this going on sale for under $7.49 anymore.
 
Where have you seen CS:GO for $2.50 or $.99? The lowest I have ever seen this game was $3.74 and that was ages ago. Because of the huge influx of cheaters whenever the price drops so low, I don't see this going on sale for under $7.49 anymore.

christmas/holiday sales and keys outside of steams control. I recall the last really big sale CSGO ended up briefly being the number one seller on steam and it was around $2. Um no I don't think valve gives a fuck if cheaters are buying their games when cheap.

EDit: yeah on steam its lowest is 3.74, though still quite a bit lower than the usual 14.99
 
Back
Top