Corsair Obsidian Series 800D

The more I think about it, the more I want one of these cases. The video really helped me out on that. It's almost a perfect design as far as I am concerned. (Weight not withstanding.) I can see very few potential flaws with it. Of course I won't know for sure unless I build a machine inside one.

You should actually do a [H] review of this particular case.

Help out indecisive customers out if they truly want to get the case or not.

No case is exactly perfect, think what matters is your own personal likeness to the case.

The more I think about it, the more I want one of these cases. The video really helped me out on that. It's almost a perfect design as far as I am concerned. (Weight not withstanding.) I can see very few potential flaws with it. Of course I won't know for sure unless I build a machine inside one.
I agree, my main complaint is the hotswap bays should be a modular cage that can be removed or added.
I think there are a lot of people who would like this case that don't care that much about hot swap bays and the cost they add. And it would be nice for people with 8 drive RAID arrays that want to use up some of those 5.25 bays with an additional cage.

It's made by Lian Li, so I don't consider it to be one.
yeah I was jk with you

not to get too far off topic here, but I thought I saw a case with 3x120mm on top and 2x120mm on the back that would support corresponding size radiators completely stock

redbeard, will amazon sell this case? I love buying my cases from amazon (free shipping).

Also, I see there is an intake fan to cool the GPUs and it seems to suck in air from the bottom vents on the case. Is there a dust filter for those vents?

I like it.
I like its size, I like the fact that it's steel and the fact that it's plain.
As long as it doesn't affect the integrity and strength of the motherboard tray, I say the more holes the better.
While I like the idea of an aluminum case, all of the examples that I have dealt with are too flimsy for my taste.
When you are dealing with a full size tower, portability isn't my 1st concern.

Since there's no way to please everyone, there are always going to be some aspects of a product that you would do different.

If you don't like it, fine, don't buy it.
Don't like the color? Paint it.
Better yet, build your own the way you want a case to be and sell it.

Very nice design, has a lot of features my p190 lacks. Although the only thing it doesn't have is basically any intake fans, just one at the bottom?

Redbeard, Can you get a better picture of the top and a inside picture of the top. I'm wanting to see how hard it would be to mound a 3x120mm rad.

thanks,

Redbeard, Can you get a better picture of the top and a inside picture of the top. I'm wanting to see how hard it would be to mound a 3x120mm rad.

thanks,

Watch the video, looks to be semi-standard 15mm fan spacing, they have three 120mm fan spots on top.

Gotta say, that video sold me. As soon as first impressions from endusers roll in, I should be seriously considering purchasing the case.

I know others have mentioned that the ATX board looks small, but I was still surprised how tiny it looks when I saw it in the video. My mindshare has been dominated by Corsair as of late.

I want to make babies with that case, I'm a freak about cord management and my Antec P180 is not cutting it in the slightest, I can zip tie and try to route all I want but it still looks bad. I like the thought they put into cord management, and I also from reading like the airflow design they have laid out. Granted, I would most likely have to see it in person first, but for a first attempt at cases I would give corsair a solid "A". Kudos to them.

A lot of these questions can be answered by watching the PC Perspective video that Steve linked on the front page:
http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=7255

The bottom dust filter, the fan design and cooling layout, etc.

wow that is attractive. i love all the flat black with the case and the corsair psu together. i think its pretty safe to say that nearly everyone who buys this case WILL get a corsair psu to go with it. the only reason not to is that they are pricier, but in a combo deal to bring it down there will be no excuse. anyone know if that rectangular hole in back at the top is for a psu? it looks like you can put the power supply up top and still put a 120mm or possibly a 240mm rad up top. and then of course a 360 in the bottom. is that right?

The filter is going to be a pain.
It should remove from the front so you don't have to move the case out to get it out to clean it.
The bottom air draw is going to be a dust pump making it worse.

The filter is going to be a pain.
It should remove from the front so you don't have to move the case out to get it out to clean it.
The bottom air draw is going to be a dust pump making it worse.

Considering there is a removable filter at all, I don't think complaining is the first thing that comes to mind. I do agree that a side release would be better (or front, obviously) but I'm glad it can be easily removed in the first place. As for drawing air from the bottom, I could care less- the filter will catch most of the dust and dust buildup won't affect the aesthetics on the front like it does on Antec cages or otherwise.

Nice pictures. Hopefully we will see some actual reviews or real world usage tests. Though I prefer custom built cooling systems, but this would be good when space is limited.

I want to make babies with that case, I'm a freak about cord management and my Antec P180 is not cutting it in the slightest, I can zip tie and try to route all I want but it still looks bad. I like the thought they put into cord management, and I also from reading like the airflow design they have laid out. Granted, I would most likely have to see it in person first, but for a first attempt at cases I would give corsair a solid "A". Kudos to them.
do you have the old P180 without the routing holes?
if so, then yeah, it's a huge pain
the improvements Antec made with the P182 make the P180 a whole different case as far as cable management goes
I just finished my i7 build in my P182 and you can barely see a cable from the front
and this is with 4 HDDs, 1 SSD, 1 DVD drive, sound card, and GTX 260

will have some pics up soon

Like the case, HATE the damn window. But then I think windows on a computer case are a waste and stupid anyway. I like a clean, simple looking case.

Personally, I feel 300 dollars for a computer case is fucking ridiculous.:rolleyes:

Overall I like the design of it, looks like it was fairly well thought out.The only other thing about the case thats bad are the feet.
Give me the big caster wheels like my Coolermaster Stacker has on it especially on a monster case like that one.
After watching the video I like the case a LOT more But 300 bucks ?

Pass.

Last edited:
Like the case, HATE the damn window. But then I think windows on a computer case are a waste and stupid anyway. I like a clean, simple looking case.

Personally, I feel 300 dollars for a computer case is fucking ridiculous.:rolleyes:

Overall I like the design of it, looks like it was fairly well thought out.The only other thing about the case thats bad are the feet.
Give me the big caster wheels like my Coolermaster Stacker has on it especially on a monster case like that one.
After watching the video I like the case a LOT more But 300 bucks ?

Pass.

Too each their own. I'm not a huge fan of the window either, but casters? Nasty. No thanks. I'll stick with feet. I'd have prefered feet like the ones on the TJ-09, but it isn't as if the Corsair case is super ugly in this regard.

Too each their own. I'm not a huge fan of the window either, but casters? Nasty. No thanks. I'll stick with feet. I'd have prefered feet like the ones on the TJ-09, but it isn't as if the Corsair case is super ugly in this regard.

Part of the reason we chose the feet that we did was because we have a minimum height requirement for the airflow design. If we put casters or round nickel-plated feet on there, people could remove them pretty easily. Also, they aren't quite as high as the feet we have. So in order to guarantee airflow we had the foot design permanently attached.

Part of the reason we chose the feet that we did was because we have a minimum height requirement for the airflow design. If we put casters or round nickel-plated feet on there, people could remove them pretty easily. Also, they aren't quite as high as the feet we have. So in order to guarantee airflow we had the foot design permanently attached.

I was speaking only about the cosmetic appearance rather than the functionality. I figured you guys did it for that reason, given what the video shows. Believe me I'm just nit picking. Overall I think its an excellent design. I'm seriously considering picking one up when they are released.

I've been looking for a case to replace my Lian Li V1000 and have been keeping an eye on this case. After seeing the video, I think I've found my case.

I like everything about it except the window and the swappable drive bays. It add unnecessary cost and I would prefer using my own HD bay instead of one that is so integrated with the case.

So do we know if the $299 retail price is a bare case or with a snazzy corsair PSU included? Cuz if it comes with a decent sized PSU (750W or higher) I'd buy one the day they are released.

What cases support more than one triple radiator without modification?

TJ07 :p

I think I worded my post wrong, I meant to say more then 1 Rad. I need a triple + double internally since I don't like external stuff or room for a quad. The ATCS 840/HAF 932's you can rig a triple or a double to the HDD bay without modding.

This is going to be my next case. Pretty much everything that I want; clean front, black interior, easy cabling and simple.

do you have the old P180 without the routing holes?
if so, then yeah, it's a huge pain

Not really, just took a bit of creativity. Here is a pic of my old P180.

This is going to be my next case. Pretty much everything that I want; clean front, black interior, easy cabling and simple.

Not really, just took a bit of creativity. Here is a pic of my old P180.

If you don't mind me asking, what hole did you put all the cables through for the bottom HD caddy? Or did you just stick them through the little small opening in the corner? And my problem is that I have 4 HDs and an optical drive in my case along with a Palit 8800GT 1GB that takes the PCI-E connector so I have all sorts of wires that I need to run around my case. I guess it will take a little bit of craftiness until I can get that new Corsair case, cuz right now I just put everything in to get it working. Thanks for the pic though, it gave me some good insight on how to do it.

If you don't mind me asking, what hole did you put all the cables through for the bottom HD caddy? Or did you just stick them through the little small opening in the corner? And my problem is that I have 4 HDs and an optical drive in my case along with a Palit 8800GT 1GB that takes the PCI-E connector so I have all sorts of wires that I need to run around my case. I guess it will take a little bit of craftiness until I can get that new Corsair case, cuz right now I just put everything in to get it working. Thanks for the pic though, it gave me some good insight on how to do it.

I believe I did put the SATA in the small corner but I ran the power cables straight from the PSU. (You can sort of see the power cable going from the bundle through the lower fan hole). I hope this helps some. (I had the case back in 2005 and don't remember much.)

Alright thanks, Mr. Miyagi, I guess I just gotta go home and expirement with it a little bit, cuz I installed a fan in the lower fan spot....oh well that's what I get for having so many hard drives to cool.

On second look, it looks like the front panel is aluminum, and the side panels are steel. Just doesn't look right...not so sure i'm interested anymore.

Fantastic first attempt. Was considering the X500B but this is much better value, and I prefer steel over 100% aluminium anyway - it's usually quieter.

On second look, it looks like the front panel is aluminum, and the side panels are steel. Just doesn't look right...not so sure i'm interested anymore.

A case this big, made of steel is going to weight a ton.
Throw in a big PSU and watercooling gear and you'll probably need to reinforce the floor.:eek:

I hear the weight complaint about the huge cases all the time. Frankly everything is about give and take. If you want a large case for your components either out of need or desire, then you must understand that the machine will likely be fairly heavy. Once the components are installed all aluminum cases can get fairly heavy too. Unless you are taking the machine to LAN parties on a regular basis I don't see the weight as being an issue. All things being equal, less weight would be better, but how often do you move your computer around?

I hear the weight complaint about the huge cases all the time. Frankly everything is about give and take. If you want a large case for your components either out of need or desire, then you must understand that the machine will likely be fairly heavy. Once the components are installed all aluminum cases can get fairly heavy too. Unless you are taking the machine to LAN parties on a regular basis I don't see the weight as being an issue. All things being equal, less weight would be better, but how often do you move your computer around?

While I agree with you on the LAN party part, I do have to speak for a few video editors out there that take their rigs on the go. Sometimes I will take it to my office as an extra rendering machine or travel with it to edit on location. A LAN rig simply isn't enough for this and so a full size machine needs to have the least amount of weight (even if it's heavy).

I have a Lian Li v2000 at the moment. It currently doesn't have the clearance for my thermochill radiator, so it's sitting on top of the case right now. What I do like about the lian li case though is the caster wheels. Even for a heavy rig, I can still put it on the ground and drag it on a smooth pavement or through the office without needing to lift it.

It'd be nice to move into this case if it had a wheel option to it. Otherwise it'd have to be modded.

I have a Coolermaster 830 currently.
Despite the primarily aluminium construction it's pretty heavy.
I tote the thing back to my workbench quite a bit to work on the case or the watercooling.
It has handles built in and is still bulky and heavy.

I have an old Chieftec Dragon full tower, all steel, that would be about the size of this Obsidian case..........and it is way heavy, almost immobile.

Weight aside, try a dremmel on steel..........might as well go home and cry.
Aluminium is much, much easier to drill and cut, making a modification an hour instead of a day long chore.

Just 2 cents, that's all.

Back