Corsair Obsidian Series 800D

about that H50 - be honest, is it going to beat a TRUE?
all similar self contained watercooling products I've seen have to be honest, sucked ass

The Hydro H50 is really just a re-branded Asetek LCLC cooler. I can't find any comparisons of the Asetek to the TRUE, but we do have a review that includes the Asetek and the Noctua NH-U12P (which is simular, but not as good as the TRUE) as comparison heatsinks. Check out the chart/graph at the end of http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles.php?id=67 The Coolermaster V8 might actually be more comparable to the TRUE than the Noctua now that I think about it. Its not a real comparison to the TRUE, but might give you a better idea.

As for the case, I like alot of the interior (especially the grommets for wiring), but the exterior just looks very boring to me. It reminds me alot of the lian-li lancool cases. Also, I dont see any real intakes for the fans. Theres a fan near the harddrives, but no holes in the sidepanel to let the fan get any fresh air. The only intake according to the specs is the bottom of the case. If thats true, it has to be really innefficient. Its allowing the PSU and bottom drives to add to the heat of the whole case rather than seperating it. They tout "Isolated cooling zones prevent heat buildup " as a feature, but has only place for air to enter the system. Seems kind of contradictory to me.

The amount of cabling management that this case will allow is really nice. The motherboard tray appears to be far enough away from the back side panel to allow for even the 24-pin ATX power cable to easily fit behind the motherboard tray. The only thing I dont see is a way to get cables from the PSU through the plate seperating the PSU from the motherboard. With all the grommets below the motherboard it shouldn't be an issue, but I feel like being picky today.

I've always been on the fence regarding hotwap bays. They're nice in some situations, but I just like having my dirves firmly secured directly to the case. I don't transport my system often, but it seems like hotswap bays would be one of the first things to break in shipping.

The Hydro H50 is really just a re-branded Asetek LCLC cooler. I can't find any comparisons of the Asetek to the TRUE, but we do have a review that includes the Asetek and the Noctua NH-U12P (which is simular, but not as good as the TRUE) as comparison heatsinks. Check out the chart/graph at the end of http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles.php?id=67 The Coolermaster V8 might actually be more comparable to the TRUE than the Noctua now that I think about it. Its not a real comparison to the TRUE, but might give you a better idea.

As for the case, I like alot of the interior (especially the grommets for wiring), but the exterior just looks very boring to me. It reminds me alot of the lian-li lancool cases. Also, I dont see any real intakes for the fans. Theres a fan near the harddrives, but no holes in the sidepanel to let the fan get any fresh air. The only intake according to the specs is the bottom of the case. If thats true, it has to be really innefficient. Its allowing the PSU and bottom drives to add to the heat of the whole case rather than seperating it. They tout "Isolated cooling zones prevent heat buildup " as a feature, but has only place for air to enter the system. Seems kind of contradictory to me.

The amount of cabling management that this case will allow is really nice. The motherboard tray appears to be far enough away from the back side panel to allow for even the 24-pin ATX power cable to easily fit behind the motherboard tray. The only thing I dont see is a way to get cables from the PSU through the plate seperating the PSU from the motherboard. With all the grommets below the motherboard it shouldn't be an issue, but I feel like being picky today.

I've always been on the fence regarding hotwap bays. They're nice in some situations, but I just like having my dirves firmly secured directly to the case. I don't transport my system often, but it seems like hotswap bays would be one of the first things to break in shipping.

updated my post
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034175221&postcount=38
after doing some reading, that H50 looks pretty nice
it beats a TRUE by 10%
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=18619&page=3
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3822393&postcount=24

now my question is - what speed is the fan on the H50 running to get these numbers?
and when will it be available? I'm definitely interested if the fan isn't too loud

I'm in for a corsair h50 and obsidian case, and an asus mars GTX 295 whenever they're out.

The H50 beats a TRUE 120. We used our case, our 1700 RPM fan (the fan included with the TRUE is 1100 RPM, we wanted to be fair), and an overclocked Core i7. I ran the tests personally.

To be honest, the H50 has been a labor of love between Corsair and Asetek for almost 3 years now. Until this revision of the product, we've never been able to beat high-end aircooling. Now we do. And at a very reasonable price point.

But I can understand why you guys wouldn't believe me - I do work for Corsair. Believe the reviews you'll see in the next few weeks.

Well I'm interested. I'd love to see something dethrone the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. It has dominated for a long time and the best anyone has been able to do in recent months is match it. I'm an owner of 5 Thermalright Ultra 120's and I'd love to see something do better.

The H50 beats a TRUE 120. We used our case, our 1700 RPM fan (the fan included with the TRUE is 1100 RPM, we wanted to be fair), and an overclocked Core i7. I ran the tests personally.

To be honest, the H50 has been a labor of love between Corsair and Asetek for almost 3 years now. Until this revision of the product, we've never been able to beat high-end aircooling. Now we do. And at a very reasonable price point.

But I can understand why you guys wouldn't believe me - I do work for Corsair. Believe the reviews you'll see in the next few weeks.
so you used your 1700 RPM fan for both?
1700 RPM is going to be pretty loud - that's only a little below a TriCool at High and that is way too loud for me
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article695-page3.html#tricool
I'd be interested to see how the H50 compares to the TRUE across a range of airflow - does it maintain a 10% advantage from low airflow (700 RPM) to high airflow (1700 RPM)?

Well I'm interested. I'd love to see something dethrone the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. It has dominated for a long time and the best anyone has been able to do in recent months is match it. I'm an owner of 5 Thermalright Ultra 120's and I'd love to see something do better.
I agree. The Prolima Megahalems and HR-01 Plus best it by a few degrees depending on the airflow
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article916-page5.html
but not by much.

redbeard: why 800D? 800 pounds, D revision? :p i want a cool name like DOMINATOR!!! or maybe something pirate related...

redbeard: why 800D? 800 pounds, D revision? :p i want a cool name like DOMINATOR!!! or maybe something pirate related...

I like model numbers. Nice and simple. There are enough products with funny names trying to sound cool. Besides they've already got the "Dominator" name attached to their memory modules.

I like model numbers. Nice and simple. There are enough products with funny names trying to sound cool. Besides they've already got the "Dominator" name attached to their memory modules.

Dominator = taken by RAM line.

Redbeard = taken by, well, Redbeard.

So how about calling it the "Blackbeard"??? It is all black. ;)

OK, that wasn't at all funny. Time to go to sleep!

i know they have "Dominator" already dan, thats why i was citing it as a reference that they do have some word names. i hear dominator and i see it in my head instantly. i see dominator ram and i hear the name in my head instantly, they just connect. every time someone mentions a lian li case, on the other hand, i have to google it because i cant keep them straight. way too many letters and numbers. i hear cosmos and BAM! i can see it in my head. i just think theyre a lot easier to keep straight for people who dont talk about all of them on a daily basis. and when browsing for cases all the lettery/numbery models blend together while named ones stand out. same thing with cars, etc. i just feel like its easier for customers to remember your products when they have a word name than alpha-numerical.

i suggest piratey to go with the corsair pirate ship logo. ok maybe not necessarily a pirate ship, but with a rep named "redbeard" i cant help but think that. plus pirates and corsair are both awesome.

EDIT: and a rep named yellowbeard. sorta forgot about him cuz hes the shy one. theyre totally pirates.

Last edited:
That PSU compartment's top fan should have unrestricted hole, no need for EMI/RFI containing mesh in there. ;)

I do not want a giant Corsair logo on my case.
Geez... do you explode at sight of Thermaljunks?
Compared to majority of cases front looks really stylish with simple matt colours.

So far it looks great to me. I've been following this case in the other thread for awhile. I would definitely opt for the windowless SKU option. I am still on the fence as to making this purchase or not however. I have no real need for that many hot swap bays, I have rarely ever installed more than two drives in any of my rigs that are not servers. I hope Corsair has great success with sales though and continues the family line, I think I would jump at the chance for a mid-tower edition of this beast for Lan parties.

It looks like there is room for a dual slot card to go into the 7th expansion slot and hang off the bottom of the expansion slots frame. Very nice. If this is the case I may have to look into getting one of these.

I need that very feature so that I can reclaim a PCI-Express slot in my machine. (Using the EVGA X58 3X SLI Classified.)

I was going to bitch but then I saw that. Now only if they had made a 2.5" drive kit for those running SSD's or the new raptors... then that would be the dream case.

Dominator = taken by RAM line.

Redbeard = taken by, well, Redbeard.

So how about calling it the "Blackbeard"??? It is all black. ;)

OK, that wasn't at all funny. Time to go to sleep!

Actually the code name of the project inside corsair was Blackbeard.

Secondly, a 2.5" solution makes the most use out of space, not waste.
Only if it takes just space of 2.5" drive, using space of 3.5" drive for single 2.5" drive is waste of space.
But you're right that anykind backplane complicates situation.
(isn't that lower/inside accessible HDD cage normal?)

The video helps clear up some of my questions concerning this case.

Last edited:
I really like the features this case has to offer, but I'm afraid it might be a little too big. I feel the same way about the ATCS 840, and there is just no way I could use up space like that. Even with an internal watercooling loop, I feel its a little large.

I would have liked to see more HDD hotswap slots available or even just regular HDD slots.

Of course, I assume Corsair has more cases planned... 600D? 400D?

It really is deceptive in photos. When you see it in person it's quite large.

Large is what I need. My gaming rig needs the room for airflow and for the video cards while my Skulltrail/Server rig needs room for hard drives, video cards, the E-ATX board, and dual CPU's with their cooling hardware.

Oh snap! That case is HUGE . . . I thought the mobo stud holes that turns out to be for the ATX-sized board were for the mATX sized boards! But geez, that case makes the ATX motherboard look like a mATX board!!!

Nonetheless, the video proves my contention that the grommets will be great for a clean cable install. I think Corsair was really innovative with this feature and many others will copy this in future cases. Looks awesome!

I really like the features this case has to offer, but I'm afraid it might be a little too big.
Isn't the rule that case is too big when you can't fit it through door of your room? :p

But yeah, for its size not on top in storage device capacity.

I thought the mobo stud holes that turns out to be for the ATX-sized board were for the mATX sized boards! But geez, that case makes the ATX motherboard look like a mATX board!!!
Remember: mATX is that vertically low/short one.

Man it looks great.... But it can't support more then a single triple rad by the looks of it :[ No go for me in that case :[

Looks nice.:D

I would vote for it being 100% aluminium however.

The video is excellent, really shows off the innovation. I like those grommets for cable management, the thing is huge in real life.....

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the more I want one of these cases. The video really helped me out on that. It's almost a perfect design as far as I am concerned. (Weight not withstanding.) I can see very few potential flaws with it. Of course I won't know for sure unless I build a machine inside one.

Back