Corsair Obsidian Series 800D

I have a Coolermaster 830 currently.
Despite the primarily aluminium construction it's pretty heavy.
I tote the thing back to my workbench quite a bit to work on the case or the watercooling.
It has handles built in and is still bulky and heavy.

I have an old Chieftec Dragon full tower, all steel, that would be about the size of this Obsidian case..........and it is way heavy, almost immobile.

Weight aside, try a dremmel on steel..........might as well go home and cry.
Aluminium is much, much easier to drill and cut, making a modification an hour instead of a day long chore.

Just 2 cents, that's all.

I've had the Stacker 830. It is heavy, no doubt about that.. I wouldn't call the Chieftec Dragon immobile even when loaded. I've had the Antec counterparts to those. I've had 3 of them in fact. Try and Antec P190 with water cooling, 3 video cards, and 8 hard drives. :eek: That's a heavy bitch. Still I can manage it just fine. I never did move it often. As for drilling or using a dremel on steel, well all I can say is that I've never had a problem with it. My 18v DeWalt XRP goes through that case like butter. Get the right drill and the right bits and it shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, aluminum won't do you much good when you have it full of stuff. I got my Lian Li PC-V2100 to ~100lbs when filled.

I have been waiting for more info to surface on this case since they announced it at CeBit. I really like the size, and the all black design inside and out. The cable management couldn't be better, very spacious, and extremely clean. I am also glad they fixed the top radiator spacing compared to the model they showed at CeBit. But there are still a few issues that need to be mentioned:

• I am a bit worried about airflow. I plan on liquid cooling my next build, so this concern is not that important for me, but it looks like there is only 1 intake on the bottom and multiple exhaust locations. Wouldn't that create some serious negative pressure issues for those who will be relying on air cooling?
  • I think most users would also like to see an eSATA included on the front I/O panel. The pic on Corsiars site (http://www.corsair.com/products/800d/800dgallery8.jpg) shows 4 USBs and a Firewire. We would be better off if Corsair would consider removing 1 or 2 of those USBs and including an eSATA instead.

Those are my main concerns with the case. With a price tag of $300, these issues need to be looked and addressed. I really like big cases, and my next build will have 2 separate liquid cooling loops, so the space is needed. Having the inside black already saves me from having to paint it myself. I really like what I see.

One last question for anyone that knows; Is the bottom hard drive cage completely removable? I would like to utilize that space for a bottom 2x120 Radiator, and would prefer to not have to do any heavy modding (cutting or removing rivets) to make it fit. Thanks in advance for your replys.

Last edited:
Personally I don't care too much for eSATA on the front. Its a nice idea but anything I have attached to my computer long term gets hooked up in the back. For quick stuff it would have a use, but so far I've never actually needed anything like that. Especially not since most stuff needs some kind of external power anyway.

As for the air flow, the design they have should work fine. There are tons of ventilation holes all over the bottom of the case and around the back, and air can still be drawn in through the front bezel. I think there will be enough ambient air to feed the exhaust fans fine. I don't think there will be so much exhaust as to create "negative pressure" or a vaccum effect. That's a lot harder to accomplish to any serious effect in a case than you might imagine. Would I like to see more intake fans? Well maybe. It depends on what the cooling results are really like.

I've looked at all my other options for housing my EVGA X58 3X SLI Classified. So far none of them are a good fit. Lian-Li has a couple of offerings but sadly only on their uglier cases. The two Thermaltake options are hideous (as is the norm for Thermaltake) leaving the Corsair Obsidian 800D my best bet. I don't actually need 8 expansion slots, but rather I need room for the last card to hang off the 7th expansion slot. This will free up a slot for a network card, RAID controller, or another card for PhysX if I desire. Right now I simply can't do that with the TJ-09. I'm debating whether or not its even worth a case swap for one expansion slot, but I do have a need for another case anyway, so why not. Really my choices are another TJ-09 or waiting for this case.

The eSATA in the font would be for convinced only, when I need to back up files or movies to my external. I agree its not necessary, but it has become a norm as of late, and I like the convince a front eSATA allows.

If you are seeking a good case to fit an EVGA X58 Classifed, try looking at the Cooler Master ATCS 840. That is the case that is currently in competition with the Corsiar 800D for my next build. I won't make a commitment until I see some end-use reviews on the 800D, but the ATCS 840 is a really nice case, just as large as the 800D, but doesn't have the black inside or come with a window (a window panel can be purchased from Cooler Master.)

Check out what Coolmiester did with his ATCS 840. Its an amazing build.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1375934

He didn't use a Classifed MoBo, but I have seen other use it in this case with much success.

The eSATA in the font would be for convinced only, when I need to back up files or movies to my external. I agree its not necessary, but it has become a norm as of late, and I like the convince a front eSATA allows.

If you are seeking a good case to fit an EVGA X58 Classifed, try looking at the Cooler Master ATCS 840. That is the case that is currently in competition with the Corsiar 800D for my next build. I won't make a commitment until I see some end-use reviews on the 800D, but the ATCS 840 is a really nice case, just as large as the 800D, but doesn't have the black inside or come with a window (a window panel can be purchased from Cooler Master.)

He didn't use a Classifed MoBo, but I have seen other use it in this case with much success.

The ATCS 840 is a little ugly as far as I am concerned. Beyond that it won't work any better than the TJ-09 I'm using now. There is a bracket just below the 7th expansion slot which would prevent the card from being installed into the 7th slot to hang off the edge.

I was planning on liquid cooling my cards thus making them single slot so I never thought about the bracket interfering, which it would with a dual slot card. The space and cooling of the 840 are ideal, but looks is an important factor as well. To each his own.

I was planning on liquid cooling my cards thus making them single slot so I never thought about the bracket interfering, which it would with a dual slot card. The space and cooling of the 840 are ideal, but looks is an important factor as well. To each his own.

I simply change my hardware out too much to want to spend the money on updating water blocks for the whole system.

What about that level 10 deal????

I'd like to see more specs on it.
If the inside is big enough I think that would be a really nice case.
I'd have to put a window on the side though.

Oh, and I have a big-ass Craftsman drill, I just find working with aluminium to be so much easier. I've modded my Chieftec, but it was a royal pain due to the steel.

Oh, and I have a big-ass Craftsman drill, I just find working with aluminium to be so much easier. I've modded my Chieftec, but it was a royal pain due to the steel.

They can keep the Level 10. More hideousness from Thermaltake.

As a member posted "it looks like cologne boxes glued to wall"

I like their Armor cases, but many find the flaps at front pointless.

Is it possible for window(s) on the Level 10? that would require time an patient on your part, magoo. Hope you're up to the work yourself.

As a member posted "it looks like cologne boxes glued to wall"

I like their Armor cases, but many find the flaps at front pointless.

Is it possible for window(s) on the Level 10? that would require time an patient on your part, magoo. Hope you're up to the work yourself.

I've never cared for the styling of most Thermaltake products. And I'm one of those that hates the Armor series. Those flaps are retarded and serve no purpose but to rattle, squeak and look like shit.

I was wondering if there is the ability to change the 140mm fans with 120mm fans. If there is the mounting for that? This case looks really good and will be the next case for my next build of a system. Darn my addiction to computers :p

Yeah, I've been waiting for this one for a bit. I'm a big lian-li fan, was going to get the pc-x500 till I saw the first pics of this one.. Me for one, would have no problem paying the extra for the aluminum. It's lighter and better aesthetically if you ask me. Not a deal breaker though :D Gonna make a good replacement for my pc a16

I've never cared for the styling of most Thermaltake products. And I'm one of those that hates the Armor series. Those flaps are retarded and serve no purpose but to rattle, squeak and look like shit.

I know, I've seen past replies of you stating your loathe for the cases, flaps and basically everything Thermaltake. :p

But anyway, would you be willing to do a review of this Corsair case? I'm very much interested in either this case or HAF 932.

Last edited:
I'm all for full tower cases with plenty of room but this thing looks almost a little too big to me. Also I'm not sure what to think about those big rubber feet on the bottom of it. I'm sure it probably needs them considering how heavy it is but I think they're kinda ugly.

I do like the layout of the interior though and it appears to have some nice features even though they went a little crazy with the cable routing holes but I don't care much for the exterior. It's just a really blocky looking case and I don't like the look of the front or the side panel window.

I know, I've seen past replies of you stating your loathe for the cases, flaps and basically everything Thermaltake. :p

But anyway, would you be willing to do a review of this Corsair case? I'm very much interested in either this case or HAF 932.

I don't hate all things Thermaltake. I've got their ToughPower 1200watt powering my computer. As for their cases, well they are well built and generally of high quality from what I've seen but not very tasteful in my opinion. The styling of many of them is simply aweful and non-functional BS like those flaps really turn me off to their cases. Take the Speedo for example. The top of the front bezel of the Thermaltake Speedo reminds me of the Shredder's helmet from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Its just uglier than hell. I hate gaudy cases. Unfortunately the market seems to love them. I can't fault Thermaltake for trying to capture that market space.

Of course I would be up for doing a review of the Corsair Obsidian 800D case. However that is up to Kyle and whether or not he wants to spend money doing an article on it, and if he chooses to do so, he may not have me do the actual review.

Man, now its just a matter of justifying 300 bucks for this new case.

I love all of it honestly. My only real nitpicks, if I HAD to give any kind of negative, it would be two things:

1. The window shape is weird. This is a matter of personal taste, but it irks me to have a window that is not symmetrical. I'm not saying it should be some boring-ass square in the side panel like everyone else, but it'd be nice to see some kind of evenness to it. The other option would be maybe the Corsair ship sails being the window instead. With the right kind of lighting and imagination I think some cool effects could be had by that.

2. Matte finish - I'm the type of person who likes shiny things so again this is a matter of personal taste. So a matte finish just looks and feels dull to me. I love the color black, but it would've been nice to see some kind of gloss to it. Still, for $300, its not bad, given that even the inside is painted too. I guess if it really came down to it I could just polish/clearcoat it myself and buff it to a nice shine.

I do like the fact that there's swappable hard drive bays now. In a time when 1TB drives are under a hundred bucks and we have 2TBs coming out if not already on the shelf, it's going to be swap-central for many of us storage whores. I'd like to see the sturdiness of it in person before I buy, because the one thing that has ALWAYS irritated me about cases is that corners are cut at the most vital places. I'm not a fan of cases with doors, because most case manufacturers always cheap out on the hinges, or the door itself, or even the front bezel if its lacking a door. This is why I am using a Stacker 830 now - spring loaded hinges and a nice solid metal door. The weight factor isn't an issue for me because I don't plan on lugging this computer around, as I don't do LAN parties anymore. That and in my personal opinion, once you step up to a full size tower, you should be expecting to do some heavy lifting, especially if you have a fully loaded case to begin with! I've lifted full steel tower cases with all the parts necessary inside, and I've lifted my Stacker as is now. I find no significant difference in weight to make a difference, even going up and down a flight of stairs. But again, that is my experience. Others may feel differently.

Overall, I look forward to seeing this case at Fry's or MicroCenter soon.

I don't hate all things Thermaltake. I've got their ToughPower 1200watt powering my computer. As for their cases, well they are well built and generally of high quality from what I've seen but not very tasteful in my opinion. The styling of many of them is simply aweful and non-functional BS like those flaps really turn me off to their cases. Take the Speedo for example. The top of the front bezel of the Thermaltake Speedo reminds me of the Shredder's helmet from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Its just uglier than hell. I hate gaudy cases. Unfortunately the market seems to love them. I can't fault Thermaltake for trying to capture that market space.

Of course I would be up for doing a review of the Corsair Obsidian 800D case. However that is up to Kyle and whether or not he wants to spend money doing an article on it, and if he chooses to do so, he may not have me do the actual review.

Bold = lol

At least Shredder was better than Lord Dregg. ;)

Onto the reply,

My mistake for assuming you do hate all the products. The ToughPower line of PSUs are a good one, and hope that amount of power is not problematic.

Have the similar opinion of the cases are well built and provides quality. It seems and sounds we're opposite to the design of what appeals to us.

Just a matter of personal choice and liking to the cases. Not had the chance yet to take a look at the Spedo through videos or pictures. But will do so today.

There are cases which are simplistic that I do like. The Coolermaster 590 and 690. :cool:

Good to read you would be willing to do a review. No problem if there is a review or not, though. I'm not expecting or demanding.

Didn't think of the bottom part you stated, just thought you were the most knowledgeable when it comes to cases (not saying the other staff aren't)

Bold = lol

At least Shredder was better than Lord Dregg. ;)

Onto the reply,

My mistake for assuming you do hate all the products. The ToughPower line of PSUs are a good one, and hope that amount of power is not problematic.

Why would it be problematic? Using my Skulltrail and a pair of 4870 X2's I was pulling almost 1100watts while gaming. Hardly overkill. Now I'm pulling much less but that PSU will go back into the Skulltrail once its rebuilt. I've got to pick up a Corsair HX1000 for my Core i7 rig.

Have the similar opinion of the cases are well built and provides quality. It seems and sounds we're opposite to the design of what appeals to us.

I just don't like crazy designs, ass loads of lights, sharp crap, space ship or creature like designs in my cases. I like big, simple aluminum or steel rectangular boxes that tower over other things on my desk. More so than that the layout of the case is important to me. I also hate doors on cases and prefer not to have a case that has a door or some stupid functionless flaps on them.

There are cases which are simplistic that I do like. The Coolermaster 590 and 690. :cool:

I hate those cases. They just don't have a good fit and finish. When the 690 came out I was doing several system builds. I did about two a week or so for a while and I hated working with the cases. So many of them had motherboard trays that didn't line up with the expansion slots worth a damn. I had other issues with them too, and believe there to be better cases for the money. The interior of those cases leaves a bit to be desired in general.

Good to read you would be willing to do a review. No problem if there is a review or not, though. I'm not expecting or demanding.

I'm willing to work on tons of reviews. If I could do it as my regular job instead of just doing it part time, I probably would. Though as Kyle said, when you do that sort of thing full time it quickly stops being fun anymore. This is probably true for most people. Right now I certainly only have the time for a limited amount of work considering my regular job has me working 60+ hours a week on average.

Didn't think of the bottom part you stated, just thought you were the most knowledgeable when it comes to cases (not saying the other staff aren't)

I don't know if I am the most knowledgable about cases but I am certainly the most difficult person to please when it comes to case design. Looks aside, I value function over form every time. Many cases I've seen have several problem areas in regard to cable management, airflow, ease of access or aren't very versatile when it comes to mounting hardware in them. Whatever the reason, I'm one picky bastard.

I've yet to find the perfect case. Even if I did, it wouldn't be perfect for every application, even for my own usage.

One problem I saw with the 840 on another thread:

"Throwing in my two cents: I'm happy with my case, but a little annoyed at it. I think my biggest annoyance is the hole in the motherboard tray (designed to change backplates w/o having to remove the motherboard) not being in the right place for my i7 board. Defeats the purpose."

He was speaking about the ATCS 840, and he owns the EVGA Classified. I think the x58 SLI is also very similar, so this could be an issue for me, too if I go with the 840.

I'm sure Corsair will put it in the right spot, or at least make it large enough, to accommodate most of the best enthusiast motherboards.

One problem I saw with the 840 on another thread:

"Throwing in my two cents: I'm happy with my case, but a little annoyed at it. I think my biggest annoyance is the hole in the motherboard tray (designed to change backplates w/o having to remove the motherboard) not being in the right place for my i7 board. Defeats the purpose."

He was speaking about the ATCS 840, and he owns the EVGA Classified. I think the x58 SLI is also very similar, so this could be an issue for me, too if I go with the 840.

I'm sure Corsair will put it in the right spot, or at least make it large enough, to accommodate most of the best enthusiast motherboards.

My point in that thread was that the EVGA X58 3X SLI and EVGA X58 3X SLI Classified have the CPU socket in the wrong place. If Corsiar or Coolermaster places the hole in the motherboard tray in a spot that works for the EVGA boards, it will be the wrong spot for every ASUS, Gigabyte, Foxconn, and MSI board. The EVGA boards are the aboration in that they place the CPU socket closer to the outer edge of the board.

aboration

aberration. at first i read that as abortion. :eek:

how far off is the evga style? thats a pretty big removable cover. it seems like if they place it right then you should be able to get to the socket in either position as long as evgas are ridiculously far off.

aberration. at first i read that as abortion. :eek:

how far off is the evga style? thats a pretty big removable cover. it seems like if they place it right then you should be able to get to the socket in either position as long as evgas are ridiculously far off.

My spelling isn't perfect. :)

I'm not sure how far off the hole is in the motherboard tray when an EVGA board is installed. That's the kind of thing I'd have to see to know if it would work or not.

My spelling isn't perfect. :)

I'm not sure how far off the hole is in the motherboard tray when an EVGA board is installed. That's the kind of thing I'd have to see to know if it would work or not.

the hole just needs to be a bit wider... like an inch or so to the left..... then it would be perfect

Quite nice looking case. Nice also with pre-drilled support for rads. Though I would have much more liked aluminum, therefore I really prefer cases by Lian Li.

Dan,
Have to agree with you on your philosophy about cases. Don't need all the tinkly shit on them. I don't care if the case is yellow with pink polka dots filled with penis's on holograms. Layout and functionality is what counts. Noise levels, room etc. Don't give a shit if it's got a window or not - probably better for me to have one since I can look at it when I ask myself "What do I have in here now?".
I certainly hope Kyle will do a review, someone from [H] better, or I will drive down to Texas and give a beat down on SOMEBODY :D

I have been looking for an all-in-one self contained unit for water cooling and this looks like a contender. I hope the water block performs good. This will be my first attempt at a water setup, I think it's time. Am I correct that the case comes with everything you need for a water cooling setup? Meaning, I don't need to buy fluid, a radiator and pump etc...? I watched the video (but with no sound :D), is the setup in the video shown with water cooling completely?

Dan, you mentioned cable length issues, and that was my first concern too, especially with full-size cases so I hope Corsair includes extensions if they are needed. I have a Silverstone Zeus 1000w psu in my Lian-Li so I hope the cables will not be a problem as far as not being long enough.

I am looking at an ASUS board (the Flaming Bladed review left a bad taste in my mouth) with an i7 965 with 12gigs of RAM (Corsair of course), at least 2 nvidia 295's (BFG) if I can find them, two OCZ Vertex SSD's and hope to run Windows 7 64bit when I'm ready to build.

Oh, and as far as the weight? Who cares, go to the gym you fags. Jeez. HAHAHA

Philip

Last edited:
well, I like to put my case on my desk. Steel with everything inside could break my cheap ikea desk
Well, maybe each time you purchase a new computer component search around for the best price. Whatever you save in comparison to MSRP put away and soon enough you should have enough money to purchase (or make) something better than that Ikea desk.

And the case looks sick, unfortunately I'd want a new rig with it and I can't spare that kind of money right now. Kudos to Corsair for branching out even more though.

Well, maybe each time you purchase a new computer component search around for the best price. Whatever you save in comparison to MSRP put away and soon enough you should have enough money to purchase (or make) something better than that Ikea desk.

And the case looks sick, unfortunately I'd want a new rig with it and I can't spare that kind of money right now. Kudos to Corsair for branching out even more though.

with graphics cards and rebates you could be buying 2 new desks every time you rebuild a computer :p

well, I like to put my case on my desk. Steel with everything inside could break my cheap ikea desk

What purpose would you want to put a full-tower case on top of your desk, other than not having to bend down to reach for the case - which in that case since this case is pretty tall, I don't think you'd have to reach that far. Hell, leave it on the floor, make more room for desk real estate.

But that's just me.....;)

What purpose would you want to put a full-tower case on top of your desk, other than not having to bend down to reach for the case - which in that case since this case is pretty tall, I don't think you'd have to reach that far. Hell, leave it on the floor, make more room for desk real estate.

But that's just me.....;)

It draws more dirt and dust inside of it sitting on the floor vs sitting up in the air on top of the desk. It's also sort of pointless to put it down in the floor if you're into modding your case and have a side panel window and a lustrous watercooling setup and everything because you can't see inside of it very well. It's also harder to work on something in the case because you either have to get down in the floor to do it or pick it up and put it and put it somewhere and a big steel case like this will be fairly heavy when you get it loaded down with hardware and watercooling equipment.

I really like this case and will probably get it for my next build once I see it in person.

It has nice clean looks.

Though I dont really like the little door on the front that has the USB inside. To me it ruins the looks of the case and it doesnt look like it has space to accommodate larger USB devices.

Any idea when it will be available in Australia?

Last edited:
I really like this case and will probably get it for my next build once I see it in person.

It has nice clean looks.

Though I dont really like the little door on the front that has the USB inside. To me it ruins the looks of the case and it doesnt look like it has space to accommodate larger USB devices.

Any idea when it will be available in Australia?

100% agreed! And it wastes what could be another bay. I don't know why they would do this. I'd much rather have a card reader or fan controller there than four USB ports, firewire, and a reset button.

Integrate two USB ports, headphone and mic on the top with a little flap like Lian Li et al have elegantly done for years. Or build them elsewhere into the case. Why waste what could give you another bay. A full tower case with 6 external bays is much more attractive physically and on paper than a full tower case with 5 bays. I know some people that would see that as a deal breaker and go with a competitor like the HAF (ugly!) or the ATCS 840 (awesome-looking!) or something Lian Li instead for the same price, or even less expensive.

It draws more dirt and dust inside of it sitting on the floor vs sitting up in the air on top of the desk. It's also sort of pointless to put it down in the floor if you're into modding your case and have a side panel window and a lustrous watercooling setup and everything because you can't see inside of it very well. It's also harder to work on something in the case because you either have to get down in the floor to do it or pick it up and put it and put it somewhere and a big steel case like this will be fairly heavy when you get it loaded down with hardware and watercooling equipment.

ITS CALLED A VACUUM! :D No one is going to come over and see it anyway regardless of any damn window, get down, pick it up, WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU WIMPS, GO TO THE GYM AND YOU WONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT "OMG SHOULD I GET STEEL!?!?! ALUMINUM?!?! AHAHHAHAHHA

ITS CALLED A VACUUM! :D No one is going to come over and see it anyway regardless of any damn window, get down, pick it up, WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU WIMPS, GO TO THE GYM AND YOU WONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT "OMG SHOULD I GET STEEL!?!?! ALUMINUM?!?! AHAHHAHAHHA

facepalm

I don't know if you're trolling, but whatever. Aluminum also looks much nicer and is much easier to mod, which is something enthusiasts like. Obviously, you don't really care about the way your things look, but others do. Brushed aluminum is super sexy.

I will agree with you on the window, though. It's a geek thing. No one really gave a damn about my computer when I had a window in my old case. it's something that's only for you.

But anyway, I think this case is overpriced. Lian Li has a full aluminum case with hot swap HDD rack for $300.It also has a door, like the corsair case. Also looks better thanks to having a consistent design. I mean, why would you guys make the front panel brushed aluminum and the side panels steel with a matte black finish? That looks horrible and it's not uniform at all. It is a deal breaker for me. It just looks like you guys ran out of aluminum or something. Most enthusiasts, I think, would've preferred full aluminum to the hot-swap rack you guys going on, and even then, Lian Li has a full aluminum case with the same features at the same price. Obviously they know how to keep their costs down.

Nah, I'm not trolling, just foolin' around. To me, in the "old days", Enthusiast was all about speed, numbers, and bragging rights, not much attention was paid toward how the cases looked. That's why I agree with Dan about keeping it simple. But, as everyone has said, to each his own. I have to give props to those who put an effort into modding the cases to look like funky things though, God knows I couldn't do it. And to be honest, putting the case on the desk (if you've got the room) obviously makes it easier when you are going back and forth for possible troubleshooting. I've just never had to over the years, probably because most of my systems have been built on the recommendations I read from everyone here, so I know where to turn.
I don't overclock anymore, by the time I feel like "OK, my cpu is getting old, let me overclock it to go faster, but wait, nvm, I'll just buy a new one". So, apparantly the novelty has worn off. Of course reading the reviews from places like [H] help me to put things in perspective of how much a cpu can handle and with what cooling solutions are out there. Plus, I always get a kick out of Steve's headlines.

Back