Corsair Obsidian 550d?

I'm using the 550D with a Corsair AX 650 PSU and the 8 pin cable is plenty long enough to reach a top left or even top center if you have an X79 mobo. This is routed behind the mobo.

Last edited:
Just started to assemble my case. But noob question here. I want to remove the front 2 fans. I can't seem to figure out how to get the fans out :-( Does the front panel come off?

The front panel does come off, it's clipped on just like the 500R. Grab it from the the bottom and pull, take the front door off first, it also just clips on.

The 4/8 pin from my Corsair HX750 reaches to the top of my Asus Z68V/GEN3 without any issue. It's going diagonally across the backside of the case, but it's not so tight that I can't do a little routing with it.

I've had this 550D up and running for about a week now and I'm super happy that it lacks that annoying whine/fan squeal of my 650D. Cooling performance with the stock setup, however, is pretty bad. What aftermarket fans are you all putting in your 550D? I was hoping to avoid investing in more fans this time around as I've replaced H50/H60/H80/650D fans in the past. Can we an extra SKU for Corsair cases/cooling products that come without fans? :p

My side panels aren't bent/warped, but my top/side vent covers do have a bend in them (they don't sit flush on the case). It doesn't hurt functionality but it's certainly annoying to see your brand new case arrive with minor defects. One of the front panel clips arrived broken. I've opened the front panel once since my initial hardware installation and to be honest I thought I was going to break another clip. Being able to open the front panel in either direction is a novel idea, but I would have preferred magnets and a door that only opened one way.

Heres the pictures of my case, I just got it with newegg's Will Call so I don't have to worry about shipping damage:

DSCN6231.jpg

No bending or damage on this side panel, and the rattle only happens if you force it, otherwise its next to impossible for the case to rattle on its own.

DSCN6227.jpg

The Front of the case, its not very shiny but the aluminum is thick, I'd say about 3mm thick aluminum, which compensates for the foam in the front here being rather thin.

DSCN6228.jpg

Other side panel, again no damage, no scratches, and no rattles.

DSCN6230.jpg

Nothing special just the back of the case.

I'd like to mention all the fans do come with rubber anti vibration grommets per-installed and the case is overall very solid and very well built.

Just got my system build with the 550D. I'll take some pictures tomorrow. Very nice case easy to work with. I have to fix a few things on my build and once that is done I'll be a happy camper. I had to use my old Crucial memory though. My new Corsair 16GB dominator sticks don't get here until Tuesday. I went with a Corsair PSU, Corsair Case, Corsair H60 cooler and memory :)

[...]

Now, we're large enough that we can help them develop their platforms months or years before launch. If we decide we want a $99 Gold Certified 800W PSU in January of 2014, we could work with these guys to develop that platform - because we have in-house engineers that can tweak their designs as we go along.

No you can't, unless by a miracle you know what is going to happen to the value of the dollar.

Is there a way to stop the power button from blinking when it's in sleep/hibernate? Sorry if this is a noob question. Thanks!

Is there a way to stop the power button from blinking when it's in sleep/hibernate? Sorry if this is a noob question. Thanks!

You'd have to unplug the power LED light from your mobo I think.

You under estimate Redbeard's knowledge of how this all works.

Besides, companies can and do commit to produce product X for Y dollars all the time, over certain periods of time. There's risk, of course, but they do it.

No you can't, unless by a miracle you know what is going to happen to the value of the dollar.

OK here is mine. Its going to change a bit next week when I get my corsair ram. Sorry its a little blurry my dam hand always shakes :)

2dgrehj.jpg

OK here is mine. Its going to change a bit next week when I get my corsair ram. Sorry its a little blurry my dam hand always shakes :)]

Looks great, very neatly put together. Any reason you went for the 850W power supply? I guess you're planning on adding in more GPUs at some point.

What sort of temps are you getting? Are you using the stock fans?

My 550D is on the way. Please be gentle, UPS. I would have gone with Amazon (Free 2-Day Air), but they were OOS and NewEgg is offering a $20 MIR that ends today ;)

I got rid of the corsair fans. I went with the scythe sflex 800 rpm fans. 1 intake fan and 1 rear exhaust fan on the H60 cooler. Idle temps are about 35 load about 55 stock. Gpu idles at about 40 and loads about 75 while playing BF3 for a few hours. Very quiet. I went with the 850 because the price was right I paid less then the 750 psu :)

OK here is mine. Its going to change a bit next week when I get my corsair ram. Sorry its a little blurry my dam hand always shakes :)

Hey thats the EVGA Z68 SLI Mobo how do you like it, is it good cuz I saw a couple of bad reviews on newegg?

Yeah its the Evga Z68. And its been rock solid not one problem :)

That's a bit of arguing semantics. I meant it as a rough example. But yeah, we do actually have stuff on the roadmaps for next year and the year after - and we have prices and target costs and all those things in mind.

So, I have this case and I am looking into a fan controller... are the only options really just the touch screens if I want to leave the front cover on?

Think newegg or amazon will have this case down around $120-130 anytime in the next 2-3 months? Guess I should have bought the case last month, but I won't need it until may/june.

Wow...not only did NewEgg jack the price up by $10, then started charging $20 in shipping? Not cool. If anyone's interested in the 550D go take a look at Amazon's pages. At least they charge free shipping and if you watch it you might nab it at $139. I'm still waiting for Corsair's rebate company to acknowledge they received my rebate before picking up another case.

Wow...not only did NewEgg jack the price up by $10, then started charging $20 in shipping? Not cool. If anyone's interested in the 550D go take a look at Amazon's pages. At least they charge free shipping and if you watch it you might nab it at $139. I'm still waiting for Corsair's rebate company to acknowledge they received my rebate before picking up another case.

Newegg's pricing fluctuates frequently. Yesterday was the last day for $140 shipped and a $20 MIR. Expect it to go back to free shipping with a new rebate soon, IMO.

Think newegg or amazon will have this case down around $120-130 anytime in the next 2-3 months? Guess I should have bought the case last month, but I won't need it until may/june.

Amazon is OOS @ $140... If Newegg's price drops, then Amazon typically follows in suit. Otherwise don't count on it.

I got rid of the corsair fans. I went with the scythe sflex 800 rpm fans. 1 intake fan and 1 rear exhaust fan on the H60 cooler. Idle temps are about 35 load about 55 stock. Gpu idles at about 40 and loads about 75 while playing BF3 for a few hours. Very quiet.
What is your ambient temperature? @ 24C, and in BF3, my 680 would hit 82C easy. But my SFLEX were 1200 RPM!! 2600K was same, maybe a touch less @ 53C w/ the Venomous X on there. What fan speed did you hit? IIRC, mine ran around 61 to 63 and it was NOT QUIET!! :D

From my research, it seems that most Asus motherboards do this? Uggh. I guess I'll have to unplug it. Thanks.
Electrical tape bro. I use that stuff on all the led's around the house.

Can anyone coming from a P18x comment on how this case compares, acoustically?

Can anyone coming from a P18x comment on how this case compares, acoustically?

Similar, if not better... a bit lighter (which is a huge plus), but the acoustic foam across all sides helps. With the P18x series (I had all 3, P180 - P183v2), you had the exhaust fan at the top which allowed for noise to escape.

With the 550D, 5 fans (4 x Gentle Typhoon AP-15, + Noctua NF-P14 FLX), my case virtually inaudible underneath my desk

Temp in my room is about 65-68 degrees. My fans are set to auto. Playing BF3 last night for about an hour my cpu got to about 55 and my 680 got to 75 and was at about 50% fan speed. What settings are you using for BF3? I find that if you put everything on Ultra that will definitely make the card much hotter something like 5-10 degrees hotter. I play at everything HIGH no AA...but high post AA and only SSAO..

Build complete, rock stable at i7 2700k @ 4.8 Ghz with .125 offset voltage (1.6Ghz @ 1.025 idle voltage)

CPU idles at 29 C, system @ 31 C (according to BIOS)

Virtually silent... I "hear" the fans in the sense that I know they exist and if I try, can hear the low hum of the Gentle Typhoons, but inaudible as soon as the AC kicks in, any ambient noise, or just listening to music

Haven't tried, nor have felt the need to OC the graphics card

Can't hear the drives when they seek (2 SSDs, 3 x WD2002FAEX, 1 x WD30EZRX)

Using the NF-P14 FLX w/ LNA @ 900 RPM

Yes, I know the graphics card is in the second PCI-E slot, only a 1% difference in performance in all synthetic, real world tests (b/w 16x & 8x). This is a dual boot hackint0sh machine, needed all the PCI-E slots.

See full size images here http://imgur.com/a/kqr8c

Feel free to ask questions

tjfczl.jpg

sawoml.jpg

lmh7pl.jpg

hmdbll.jpg

hwd4gl.jpg

eetltl.jpg

ctngml.jpg

6ybarl.jpg

Last edited:

Check if your motherboard's S3 light behavior has a "multi" or "dual color" mode. I always do that and it causes no light to show at all.

@Jaspreet: What is your fan config? Is it just the bottom mounted Noctua and the push pull fans on the H80?

@Jaspreet: What is your fan config? Is it just the bottom mounted Noctua and the push pull fans on the H80?

INTAKE:
Front of case: 2 x Gentle Typhoon D1225C12B5AP-15 controlled by motherboard header (using 3 pin Y-cable to attach to motherboard header, only one reports RPM to motherboard)

Bottom of case: NF-P14 FLX using LNA (low noise adapter) @ 900 RPM

Exhaust:
Push/Pull configuration on the H80, pulls cool air (or cool enough) from the case through the radiator out through the back of the case (again, controlled by the motherboard using a 3 Pin Y cable).

The fans only spin up during load.

I have the top / side covered. Again, going for silence.

I can push this processor to 4.98 with additional cooling, but the extra 198 MHz isn't worth the additional noise.

Here's a visual representation

I wanted a positive pressure system with the least amount of noise and I believe I have achieved it.

lmh7ph.jpg

Dam you have alot of hard drives. I have one tiny ssd drive :)

Back