Corsair Obsidian 550d?

walkman

Limp Gawd
Anyone seen this case yet?

I was thinking about getting a P280 to replace my p180 on my upcoming rebuild, but then saw a blurb about the Corsair 550d and I'm wondering if it would be worth waiting for.

Heck yeah! The Corsair 550d Looks like an awesome case with really good sound dampening properties. I have yet to see one up close, but I'm already considering using the 550d on one of my next builds.

Anyone seen this case yet?

I was thinking about getting a P280 to replace my p180 on my upcoming rebuild, but then saw a blurb about the Corsair 550d and I'm wondering if it would be worth waiting for.

Literally in the exact same situation as you, almost grabbed a P280 for $119 on sale but am waiting on the 550D as it appears superior in every way. Supposedly released in February at some point.

Some etailers are showing a delivery date for the 550D of February 6th, which is this upcoming Monday!;) and Amazon is taking pre-orders for $140, not a bad price if you are Amazon Prime free 2 day shipping.

Some etailers are showing a delivery date for the 550D of February 6th, which is this upcoming Monday!;) and Amazon is taking pre-orders for $140, not a bad price if you are Amazon Prime free 2 day shipping.

RedBeard stated late Feb somewhere....but one can hope.

That said, I decided it was too large for me and the UPS status on my Arc Mini is "out for delivery" at the moment. Are there sweeter words? :)

RedBeard stated late Feb somewhere....but one can hope.

That said, I decided it was too large for me and the UPS status on my Arc Mini is "out for delivery" at the moment. Are there sweeter words? :)

Greatest phrase in the English language: "out for delivery", Good Luck with your Arc Mini!;)

I went ahead and pre-ordered from Amazon. I normally wouldn't order before reviews are out, but I'm going to trust Corsair on this one. The P280 just wasn't quite calling my name so I'm going to take a chance.

Just Yahooed the P280, seems like the same concept as the 550D, but the 550D just screams quality, gotta love those grommets!;)

Hey guys, as a heads up - containers are on the water, and should start landing in late February in some locations (Western US and Canada) and early to mid-March in other locations (Eastern US and Europe).

List Price: $189.00, so probably 150~ at retail. I'll keep my R3.

Hey guys, as a heads up - containers are on the water, and should start landing in late February in some locations (Western US and Canada) and early to mid-March in other locations (Eastern US and Europe).

I don't know it's a tough call, out for delivery or containers on the water, they both sound amazing!;)

...thinking about a 550D for a secondary rig, my 650D is hanging in there just fine, nothing to supercede it yet.

I don't know it's a tough call, out for delivery or containers on the water, they both sound amazing!;)

...thinking about a 550D for a secondary rig, my 650D is hanging in there just fine, nothing to supercede it yet.

I used to have a 650D, it was great but too loud so I switched for the R3. If the 550D was out when I bought my 650D I would have been all over it. But I don't know if those panels will block enough sound. The 'modu-vents' on my R3 are thick and meaty.

looks are always good and if you want what you want you should just wait it out g/l

Thanks for the status -- hopefully Amazon will be filling pre-orders from those west coast shipments.

List Price: $189.00, so probably 150~ at retail. I'll keep my R3.

Amazon pre-order is just $140.68 with free 2-day shipping if you're an Amazon Prime member, what a great price, thinking of getting mine shipped overnight(put on a plane) for $3.99 so the 550D will arrive in pristine condition!;)

I don't feel the 650D is loud at all, not if you put quiet parts in it, that's the key; quiet components to start with and lots of airflow. Plans for the 550D are just for a secondary build allowing some older components to "live on" can't justify throwing them away and won't get any real money by selling them. What was once screaming fast now can just retire as a word processor, haha

Last edited:
The 550D is a bit smaller than the 650D. Though they're technically both mid-towers, the 650D is what we call a "Super Mid" internally, it has a lot more room than some full towers.

650D was more about cooling than silence, and 550D is the opposite, but with the flexibility to go full-on-crazy with the cooling.

The Corsair 650D is the perfect size easy access, yet not too large to show so much extra chassis from a side view, when looking in the window, ideally imho the window should be filled with electronics not bare metal case, like a full tower. The 550D should be a little more snug inside with still plenty of room to work, a nice fit for a designated "quiet" chassis. If you go smaller than a 550D like the Arc Midi or Haf 912 Advanced also a midi, access gets really tight. I did a build with the Haf912, it took hours and hours constantly removing CPU heat sinks just to attach fans rear and top no room for large hands at all, you really have to plan your steps well in a Midi or like me you will have to undo most of your work and start over!;)

Can’t wait for the 550Ds to become available, since in April am doing an Ivy Bridge 3770K/Maximus 5/Intel 520ssd/Corsair H100 new build in the 650D and transferring current components into the 550D as a secondary or Home Theater HTPC build. Corsair keeps coming out with the perfect chassis just when I need them, go figure…

...if the new Corsair Platinum PSUs become available by April, then the Corsair 1000watt PSU will be added to the new Ivy build component list, but who knows.

Last edited:
The 550D is a bit smaller than the 650D. Though they're technically both mid-towers, the 650D is what we call a "Super Mid" internally, it has a lot more room than some full towers.

650D was more about cooling than silence, and 550D is the opposite, but with the flexibility to go full-on-crazy with the cooling.

Any comments about how much space is behind the motherboard tray compared to the 650D? I always seem to have a pain of a time organizing wires back there. Is this case (and the initial configuration of three fans) designed to be more of a positive pressure case?

I'm seriously considering ordering two of these for my server and gaming PCs.

Any comments about how much space is behind the motherboard tray compared to the 650D? I always seem to have a pain of a time organizing wires back there. Is this case (and the initial configuration of three fans) designed to be more of a positive pressure case?

I'm seriously considering ordering two of these for my server and gaming PCs.

That is a great question, Mr. Redbeard can answer, since if your cables compress that noise dampening foam too much it loses its effectiveness.

Anyone has this case? I was wondering if it could fit a CEB form factor motherboard. I have the Asus P9X79 WS and looking for a case for it. Any recommendations, other than going for a full EATX case?
Thanks!

Hey, I see some of you guys have the Asus Rampage II Extreme mobo which is also an inch wider than standard ATX, just like CEB. Were you able to fit it in the 550D?

georgel, this case is not available yet. Check back in a couple weeks.

The case seems to be way too concealing, not my taste. I like to see my parts, look at them, and all. So, I'm getting the Carbine 500R, which seems to have the same motherboard tray, but more revealing.

The case seems to be way too concealing, not my taste. I like to see my parts, look at them, and all. So, I'm getting the Carbine 500R, which seems to have the same motherboard tray, but more revealing.

To each his own I guess.

My case sits under my desk out of sight. Don't wanna see it, don't wanna hear it, don't want it taking up more space than it needs to. :)

rumor has it that the 550D's release date has been pushed back to early April...

rumor has it that the 550D's release date has been pushed back to early April...

They're already halfway overseas headed for US distribution.

Last edited:

This is heavily based on your region. Some regions might not see 550Ds until April, some might see them in 2-3 weeks.

Still waiting to know about the behind-the-motherboard-clearance. I've got two PCs that are growing dust bunnies and I'd love to order a few 550Ds.

Still waiting to know about the behind-the-motherboard-clearance. I've got two PCs that are growing dust bunnies and I'd love to order a few 550Ds.

It's around an inch or so depending on the area. More than enough to run cables back there, and with zip ties it's no trouble at all.

This is heavily based on your region. Some regions might not see 550Ds until April, some might see them in 2-3 weeks.

Hmm, gonna order one the second I see it on NCIX then, don't want to end up having to wait for it in April when IB comes out. Thanks for the heads up as always Redbeard.

Just emailed corsair today and asked when the 550d will be avaliable in the u.k. and they said mid march

Just as well I guess since I plan on buying some 7870s or some midrange NVIDIAs. Might as well buy everything at once. I have my gaming/server and my htpc all in the same room so trying to keep everything quiet as possible. Anybody doing reviews of this case yet?

Back