Corsair H50 CPU Cooler Preview.

ivesceneenough, the Corsair H50, as well as the original Asetek LCLC, should have no problems cooling mainstream 3.5 GHz overclocks on even less than golden i7 chips.

I've had good luck with LCLC based solutions... also see the previous postings here from the Puget guy, who sells systems clocked at this speed using the supposedly lower performing original Asetek LCLC.

And as we have fully shown you here, that is not always the case....

Great video, was extremely thorough I thought. I cant wait for the Q3 review. Will there be tests on Quads in the Q3 heatsink review or simply the i7?

Seems like the corsair unit just isn't enough for the i7, but would probably work fairly well on a quad/duo, and the ability to have a remote heatsink (radiator) would be great for a HTPC or the like.

I've been thinking about the instructions to have the H50 fan blow into the case

seems like this would be bad for a case with a lower mounted PSU (Antec P19x) as the PSU will be exhausting hot air and it rises up along the back and then gets sucked back into the case by the H50 fan
also having the rear fan as exhaust seems like it would disrupt the normal airflow in the case
I'm definitely going to experiment with different fan configurations when I get mine
hoping the tubing is long enough that I can try mounting the radiator on the front of my P182 where the 2x hard drive cage normally is

looks like I may have the first H50 retail sample? NCIXUS just emailed me a tracking number and it will be here in under 12 hours :D

looks like I may have the first H50 retail sample? NCIXUS just emailed me a tracking number and it will be here in under 12 hours :D

I'm definately interested in your observations of this thing.

An new 70.00 toy might just be what the Dr. ordered! :D

I ordered a Corsair H50 for a friend last Friday and received it Wednesday, from NCIX. I didn't have the time to bench it myself, though... it's already in his grubby little hands. I did a quick check for any defects, and all is well. Packaging is a simple white box; no retail marketing sleeve over it. Box serial number sticker has an amusing "warranty void if removed" warning. Thanks, Corsair... Now I know the original box is critical to the product.

Last edited:
although it looks like the System Temp in SpeedFan is 4 C higher with the H50, not surprising since hot air is being blown into the case

I ordered a Corsair H50 for a friend last Friday and received it Wednesday, from NCIX. I didn't have the time to bench it myself, though... it's already in his grubby little hands. I did a quick check for any defects, and all is well. Packaging is a simple white box; no retail marketing sleeve over it. Box serial number sticker has an amusing "warranty void if removed" warning. Thanks, Corsair... Now I know the original box is critical to the product.

The retail boxed version will be shipping in July/August. We had a problem with the print process and had to choose to either delay the product or ship the first couple shipments in a white box. We chose the latter.

Intel Core i7 920
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 MHz OCZ3P1600LV6GK
Intel X25-M 80GB
2 x Western Digital Caviar 640GB Blue
2 x Western Digital Caviar 640GB Black
EVGA 260 GTX
Creative Soundblaster Fatal1ty Titanium
Samsung SH-S203B DVD burner
Corsair HX620W
Antec P182

CPU Ratio: 18
BLCK: 200
DRAM: 1600 MHz

CPU Voltage: 1.3125
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.35
ICH Voltage: 1.3
vDIMM: 1.66

Tests with LinX
Ambient Temp between 24-26 C

Fan speeds on graph always refer to the TriCool fans

Configuration 1: Hydro H50 push-pull
Two rear TriCool fans on the radiator in push-pull in addition to the top TriCool, all as exhaust

Configuration 2: Hydro H50
Rear TriCool fan as intake
Top TriCool as exhaust

Configuration 3: HR-01 Plus
Rear and top TriCool fans as exhaust
Scythe S-Flex E at 12V on heatsink

1yk47a.png

Last edited:
Looks like my money's safe and my TRUE gets another lease on life.

Thanks again EnderW! :)

I'm seriously considering the H50, however I still need to find a way to mount the 120mm fan to my Lanbox Lite. Ideas anyone? All I can think of is to put it next to the side panel window

I think there is something to be said for the size, weight, and ease of installation of the LCLC based cooling units. It is an elegant solution that can be applied to a number of different case form factors. It is also durable and reliable if Asetek's claims are to be believed.

Personally I would not expect such a convenient unit to outperform a TRUE or Tuniq Tower. I also would not necessarily pair this unit with a superventiled super tower case. I think this type of unit might be better suited in situations where, for a variety of reasons, conventional water cooling or high end air cooling is impracticable.

Suppose I was building and shipping a moderately over clocked system in a mid tower chassis for a nonenthusiast friend. I wouldn't necessarily be comfortable slapping on a gigantic heatsink like a TRUE because it might obstruct some ram slots, or stress the motherboard, or require removal of the motherboard for installation or replacement. It might be noisy. The TRUE might not even fit altogether. Or perhaps I want a little better cooling in a HTPC setting that requires more silent cooling and a low profile. The H50 might fit the bill.

I am still concerned about the fact that CPU heat is not exhausted, however.

Does anyone know what is involved in reversing the airflow so that the H50 exhausts air out the back of the case? What exactly needs to be modified and how easy is it?

Second question, suppose I use a Silverstone FT01. The FT01 has an 180mm top intake that blows air over the CPU and a 120 mm rear exhaust. It also has a 120mm lower front intake. Could the H50 be successfully integrated into this case to a achieve a moderate i7 overclock? How?

Does anyone know what is involved in reversing the airflow so that the H50 exhausts air out the back of the case? What exactly needs to be modified and how easy is it?

Second question, suppose I use a Silverstone FT01. The FT01 has an 180mm top intake that blows air over the CPU and a 120 mm rear exhaust. It also has a 120mm lower front intake. Could the H50 be successfully integrated into this case to a achieve a moderate i7 overclock? How?

I think a 3000rpm fan will help this thing :)

I would consider switching the orientation of those fans - make the 120 an intake with the Hydro attached, and then have the top be an exhaust. It seems rather silly to put an intake on the top of the case anyways, since heat naturally rises and you are fighting against that with anything but an exhaust there.

I would consider switching the orientation of those fans - make the 120 an intake with the Hydro attached, and then have the top be an exhaust. It seems rather silly to put an intake on the top of the case anyways, since heat naturally rises and you are fighting against that with anything but an exhaust there.

Yes, it seems to me that with that top fan as an exhaust, the fact that the Hydro is dumping hot air into the case would be mitigated somewhat.

Hi just joined today after seeing H50 on youtube.

I've had one of these H50 coolers for a few days now with an aditional sythe Kaze jyuni 1900rpm. I slapped this on the rear of the case and stuck the stock corsair fan on the front of the radiator. (Pictured below.)
Now those sythe 1900 kick out 110 CFM give or take so yes a bit louder than your average fan. I reduced this by using a zalman fanmate 2 so I spent a total of £12 extra on this unit.

With this configurationg the air coming in is very cool indeed even with the sythe set to a quiet level you can really feel the cool air coming through there.

I ran prime95 x64 for an hour with the I7 920 clocked at 3.8Ghz .The cpu peaked at 74c after 15 minutes. I took the side of the case off and yes the area around the cpu was a lil warm but the air coming in through my sythe-h50 setup was still fairly cool. This was all in an antec 1200 case with its stock fans set to medium ambiant room temp was 25.2c.

The build is still not 100% complete still waiting on some extension cables to tidy things up ect. Got an IR Thermometer gun coming next week so i'll be able to see those temps are really doing.

But as far as feeling the air coming through that setup, it's not warm that for sure!

The sythe is behind the radiator, only had 4 screws so can only use 2 for each fan, still sturdy though (ignore the 4pin12v cable that will tidy later)
h50.JPG

Just a screenshot of the overclock after an hour
stress.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome preview. I couldn't believe it was actually 28 minutes long with no filler. My only gripe would be with ambient temps. While I can't say with any certainty, I feel if temps were closer to 72*F, then the H50 would have performed much better. Regardless, I'm sure a number of people here on [H] will try this product in every configuration imaginable, so we shall soon see which is really king of the hill.

planning on an i7 920 build this summer inside the Antec P183 case. I never got into overclocking and was planning on using the Noctua NH-U12P SE1366, but came across the H50. For a non overclocked pc, should i even think about this route? i'm a quiet enthusiast if anything.

New Build

Antec P183
evga x58 sli mATX (ETA on newegg ???)
Corsair XMS3 6GB
Intel Core i7 920
150gb wd raptor
evga gtx 275
Either Noctua or H50 as cooler

Last edited:
If you are going for quietness rather than overclocking then the Noctua should do a better job; the Coolermaster V8 is also a pretty good choice, and the TRUE could be if paired with a quiet fan. The Hydro would do a good job of cooling, but it will add noise because of the pump and because the 120mm fan is nearer the outside of the case (making it easier to hear).

It'd be overkill for my E6850 @ 3.8 (the TRUE's working it's magic) but it's looking awfull good for my i7 build.

The H50 seems to handle the higher temps easier.

I use a single 120 x 38mm fan on my TRUE.

Would there be an advantage to swap the origional H50 fan with a 38mm?

A higher-airflow and/or quieter fan could certainly make a difference. I've not personally inspected the fan used on the Corsair H50, but when we use Asetek LCLCs where I work we generally pair them with a nice Nexus PWM fan; it isn't a 38mm model, but it had a good cooling/acoustic profile in our testing.

The fan on the H50 is near silent, Even with my push-pull configuration pictured on a post above with the extra sythe fan on low speed its very quiet.

Let me put it this way I have an antec 1200 case with all the stock fans set to their lowest speed, though also very quiet I hear them over the H50.

Still waiting for my IR Thermometer to arrive from HK so I can show you guys theres no warm air coming through the way I have it setup.

I've had this thing on 3.8ghz for well over 2 weeks now and I've been recording temps from realtemp3.0 pretty much all the time ive been using it. I've never seen it record more than 62c and it only got that high during a whole evening of playing crysis and gta 4.

My old TRUE is in the bin, it is so big no one I know wanted it lol

Hi There,

A bit later than promised I've only just managed to get the IR gun from work today. I had posted both here and on other forums about the temperature that the H50 brings into the case as its being used. A lot of people have been saying that the H50 would bring extra unwanted heat into the case. I have done a few readings to prove how minimal the extra heat coming in is with my 2 fan setup.
The extra fan is a 120mmx25mm 1900 rpm with a fan-mate 2 to adjust speed.

My setup is an Intel I7 920 @ 3.8Ghz on an Asus P6T with 12GB ram and x2 GTX 260 in SLi

Bear in mind that its summer time here in the UK and room temp through out was between 25.2 - 25.7c

First of all I took a reading after 1 hour of being idle. This read 26.9c not bad just 1.2c above room temp at that time.
0hourheat.JPG

I put the side of the case back on and ran Prime95 x 64 for just over an hour. All the fans on my 1200 case bar 1 are set as intake fans and set on low speed. The very large fan on top is running on medium speed and is the only fan being used as an exhaust. The extra 1900rpm fan on the radiator was set to near slowest speed. During the hour the CPU temp peaked at 73c. But after the first 15 minutes temps settled at 68-70c
1hour.jpg

Straight after I took that snapshot I took a reading from my only exhaust fan at the top. The reading was 27.8 which was 2.4c above room temp at the time.
1hourtop.JPG

As quickly as I could I took the side of the case of and took a reading off the H50. The reading was 28.4c which was 3c above room temp.
1hourheat.JPG

So an extra 3c above room temp is of course an increase but hardly any thing to worry about I think. Bearing in mind that I have 5 other fans blowing air in just a couple of degrees below and that after several hours of gaming real temp 3.0 marked highest core temp to be 62c I have nothing to worry about clocked at 3.8Ghz

I still need to know how the H50 functions when it is configured to exhaust the air and not pull ambient air in. This is important because in some cases the only place to put the H50 would be rear exhaust.

In our testing (I don't have exact numbers in front of me) it is much poorer with an exhaust configuration - but it all depends on how warm the air inside of the case gets before being pushed through the H50's radiator. Even if you are hooking up to a rear fan, though, you could always change that to be a fresh air intake instead of exhaust; it might turn the system into a positive air pressure setup instead of a balanced setup, but the air will find a way out :)

I still need to know how the H50 functions when it is configured to exhaust the air and not pull ambient air in. This is important because in some cases the only place to put the H50 would be rear exhaust.

That's really going to depend on the case itself and how well its ventilated. In a case like mine probably not much difference maybe just a couple of degrees higher. But in something like a bog standard atx probably not very well at all. For a start there's a chance it just might not fit. The radiator protrudes the 120mm mount by about 15mm both top and bottom so if your rear mount it right up by the ceiling of the case it ain't going in there. That's why if you look at my earlier posts I mounted the H50 on the 2nd mount down.
I've seen a lot of people getting good results using side mounts but again this is blowing air inside the case. Down side is this makes things difficult opening the side of your case.

If I get time over the weekend I'll reverse the fans and take some readings as you have me wondering about it myself now.

This is important because in some cases the only place to put the H50 would be rear exhaust.
Dont buy a case like that.

I really want to use this setup in the Silverstone FT01 but it only has a single 120mm exhaust. The intakes are 180mm front and top. The case is a positive pressure design.

Last edited:
OK this will be my last large picture post for sure!

During this last week I have been playing around with my new rig and the H50. I got it as far as 3.8Ghz and all my friends have been telling me I should give the 4Ghz a go. I had tried it before but I got BSOD so hence the 3.8ghz till now.

Any way I went back into the BIOS and put a couple of voltages up a notch and now have it running at the 4Ghz.

Any one who has read some of my earlier posts will know my setup but for those who don't Here it is:

Antec 1200 Case
Zalman 1000w PSU
Corsair H50 cooler with scythe 1900rpm and speed controller added
I7 920 @ 4.009Ghz
12GB OCZ DDR3 Gold ( running now at 1540ish )
Asus P6T Motherboard
X2 GTX260 in SLi mode
X2 Kingston SSD 128GB, Raid 0 128k Stripe
Windows Vista Home Premium x64

I started Prime95 x64 and gave it 1 hour to do its thing.
Room temp was 24.2 - 24.4c during the hour

4ghz.jpg

As you can see it peaked at 74c. After the first 15 minutes the temperature for the hottest core settled at 71 - 72c

Again not bad at all I think I'm quite happy with that. I completely forgot about the IR gun till just after I closed everything down so I have no other temps for you :(

The H50 has done me proud :)

I really want to use this setup in the Silverstone FT01 but it only has a single 120mm exhaust. The intakes are 180mm front and top. The case is a positive pressure design.

With the H50, if you turn the 180mm top around to be an exhaust, you'll still have positive pressure.

180mm top exhaust

120mm rear intake (with H50 installed)
180mm front intake

I don't have an FT01 otherwise I'd run some tests on it myself, but I don't see why this wouldn't work.

74 for a 920 @ 4GHz would be pretty good, since it doesn't redline until about 90 degrees, right?

3.6ghz @ 1.3 volts? Either there's some huge voltage changes required between 3.4 (mine) and 3.6 or your 920 isn't from a very good batch.

74 for a 920 @ 4GHz would be pretty good, since it doesn't redline until about 90 degrees, right?

Yes I was quite pleased with the temps I got at 4Ghz. TJ max is 100c but I would not recomend going that high. 74c is fine I think and In real life usage I doubt it would get that high again very often. I I have some more video editing to do and I wanna play more games so I'll leave real temp going and come back with the temps later.

Ok today I ran a avi to dvd conversion and it hit 65c, I've just been playing prototype for a few hours and it maxed at 62c

So again not bad at all :)

I just ordered a IFX-14, will be doing some more testing when my D0 gets here

Back