Corsair H100 Extreme Perf. Liquid CPU Cooler Review @ [H]

Just installed mine. The rad holes lined up perfect on top of the case. Im using push config to exaust out the top. At lowest setting Idle temps jumped a little from mb 32-34 cpu 34-36 [using A70] to mb 46 cpu 40. Full speed mb holds at 46, cpu goes to 44 and holds. I also thought the fans were to loud so i switched in the A70 fans. Way quieter

230mm front intake
2x 120 mm front intake thru 8 HDDs

120mm rear exaust
2x 120 on the rad exausting

HAF 932
Asus M4A78T-E
AMD 1090t w/Corsair H100
16gb G Skill Ripjaw X
Sapphire Radeon 4670 1gb
Xonar HDAV 1.3
OCZ Vertex II
2x Wd RE3 1gb
HighPoint RocketRaid 2320 w/8x WD Black 2tb FASS
OCZ ZX Series 1000w

Edit:
Just switched back the fans as the A70 fans start to rattle at high RPM. Im guessing they are not rated for that speed.
Also i removed the stock thermal grease and replaced it with Shin Etsu. Also put the fans in a push/pull config. 1 exausting and one intake

Ambient temp is about 24c 76f
Idle temps have dropped to MB 44 CPU 37. i will wait a week os so till the therm paste breaks in. At that time, depending on temps, i will put both fans in a pull config to pull cool air in. The A70 with a push/pull config blowing up did a way better job of cooling.

Last edited:
Just to make sure I am right the fans should push the air up and out of the top of the case??

Sadly, that doesn't make much sense to me being a chemical engineer and knowing heat exchangers. In my case, I already have cool air being blown up from the bottom (coldest air) and I have the rear fan blowing in as well over the CPU area. My push/pull going out the top is the most logical sense and I can see no real benefit to have it blowing in from the top (warmer air). The same should be for the 650D as it's just a shorter version of mine. A shroud makes sense, but not really needed, at least I don't need one, and certainly you don't need one so large as that one for sale at FrozenCPU. In addition to adding heat from the top, you are also going to be blowing in dust from the room, which means more rad cleaning. Good luck with that, unless you want to add a filter, which will restrict your flow anyway.

Sadly, that doesn't make much sense to me being a chemical engineer and knowing heat exchangers. In my case, I already have cool air being blown up from the bottom (coldest air) and I have the rear fan blowing in as well over the CPU area.

How's that lack of positive air pressure working out for you?

Just installed mine in a Corsair 600T case using NoiseBlocker 1800 rpm fans pushing outside air INTO the case. I'm getting 39*C at idle 57*C at full load. I'd like to get that load temp down, but the stock Corsair fans were WAY too loud for me. Running them at high.

Just installed mine in a Corsair 600T case using NoiseBlocker 1800 rpm fans pushing outside air INTO the case. I'm getting 39*C at idle 57*C at full load. I'd like to get that load temp down, but the stock Corsair fans were WAY too loud for me. Running them at high.

Whats your overclock and vcore?

I have the Proto type version From Asetek of the H100 I have it Running Push Pull and at 4.8ghz Idle temps are getting around 30cjust totaly rebuilt the system.and gonna see after a week of Breakin time what temps i get when i run Hyper Pi.I have Mine Installed in a HAF 932 Advanced caseand I have a custom full Side window so no air commin in that way.lol.

Hi guys,

I'm looking to build a new system for first time in 2 years. Last system was i7 920, 12gb, 3ware 9690, 4x750gb raid 10, 2xNVS295 quadro.

New system - thinking i7 2600k, 16gb, kingston hyperx 240gb ssd, radeon hd5870 eyefinity 6, corsair h100.

Component wise I'm talking just the video card, which is used for day trading not gaming, so I was wanting to get a smaller case. Was thinking the Corsair 400R.

I've got a small 2 inch hole knocked out in my wall where I feed my usb and displayport cables into a closet in the next room, which is where the physical machine is. So noise is not really a concern.

I was thinking of the H100 to allow me to overclock quite a bit, as I do some backtesting on this box and faster CPU can help.

OK, so now the questions...

1. Will the H100 "push/pull" work with the 400R?

2. Why mount the radiator on the inside at all? Wouldn't it be better (cooler) if the entire radiator was external? Has anyone done this and has some instructions or guide/recommendations on how to do it?

3. It seems as though most of you are unhappy with the fans that come with the H100, since noise really isn't a concern of mine would you still suggest replacing them?

4. What is a realistic very safe/stable overclock one could expect on the i7 2600k with the h100 setup?

Thx.

2. Internal will work like exhaust on top of the case(not all of them)
3. I am happy with h100 fans. Very good cooling perf. on medium rpm and not so noisy. If replacing them try to find ones with high static pressure and CFM. It wont be easy job because 90% of them are very noisy. H100 fans spins up to 2600rpm and I dont know silent 2600 rpm fan. My 2600k on max fan speed and 1.32v is around 60 and on medium 63c max. It is very hot here so temps are high but we will see how h100 react to ambient..
4. Bigger than with most of air coolers. Cooling capacity of h100 seems great. I think it could handle 1.4v cpuv or even more. It depends on how good cpu you have. Say around 4.5 - 5ghz with temps under 70c.

Last edited:
Question:

On that shroud thing to eliminate the dead spots, if I want push pull, that means I need two shrouds, or is one side attached to the H100 itself? Basically, should I order two double fan shrouds? One for each side?

I plan on unconventional placement, so size may not be an issue really.

Also, anywhere I could buy a metal shroud like this?

Last edited:
1. Generally, the H100 in p/p config CANNOT fit inside a 400R. It can't fit in 600T, 650D, 400R, and 500R because either a lack of space or it will hit your motherboard top HS (depends on your mobo). A push OR pull config will fit in all of those cases. Most full tower cases like the 800D or the Haf series have no problems with P/P. The Arc Midi might be the only mid-tower that can do P/P.
3. The H100 rad is fairly thin, so a push config with a good static pressure fan is what you need. Corsair stock fans provide exactly that. Their stock fans are good, just set it to medium. High is too loud. Some have tried AP-15 P/P or Stock Push, AP-15 Pull with good results.
4. The cooling is similar to a high end air cooler (maybe a little better if pushed). You should get the same temps as NH-D14 or SA.

caldera: I'm running a push pull now in a 650D with a MSI P67A-GD65, just clears the top heatsink on the mobo but does make it.

Running this is in a push pull config in a NZXT Phantom

i2500k at 4.5
temps never go above 63C in prime
H100 at highest settings and i barely hear it even with my computer right next to me.

50Cal what fans are you using?

For others, I got the coolermaster R4 fans and they do not play well with the H100 built in fan controller. They also are noisier than my other fans at low speeds by two fold! At high speed thye are still quieter than the stock H100 fans at high so thats not bad.... but low speeds too noisy and no temp difference between these and the thermaltake 1225 blue led fans I had... and the thermaltake were rated pretty poorly @ only 42CFM (I think)... but still at full speeds these things are extremely silent and there is not temp difference between these and the coolermaster R4 at low speed. With the TT fans the loudest things in my case were the H100 pump and the 6970 top card fan @ 30% when everything was idle.

The coolermaster R4 also has an annoying hum / rattle at any speed and it reverberates through the radiator and case :(

One final note when I chaned out CPUs and re-did the thermal paste on my block I used arctic silver 5. I seen a 5-7c increase across my cores. At first I thought it needed to cure but after a few days no luck, so I re applied it (used acetone to clean) and still same temps! I thought maybe the thermal take fans were getting weak with the resistance from the radiator so thats why I ordered the R4 fans, still no luck. I finally took some Nt-H1 thermal paste and put it on and dropped 5c across all cores at load!

AS5 was bought at Radio shack so not sure if this is b-stock or old as hell or what, but figured I would warn others.

1. Generally, the H100 in p/p config CANNOT fit inside a 400R. It can't fit in 600T, 650D, 400R, and 500R because either a lack of space or it will hit your motherboard top HS (depends on your mobo). A push OR pull config will fit in all of those cases. Most full tower cases like the 800D or the Haf series have no problems with P/P. The Arc Midi might be the only mid-tower that can do P/P.
3. The H100 rad is fairly thin, so a push config with a good static pressure fan is what you need. Corsair stock fans provide exactly that. Their stock fans are good, just set it to medium. High is too loud. Some have tried AP-15 P/P or Stock Push, AP-15 Pull with good results.
4. The cooling is similar to a high end air cooler (maybe a little better if pushed). You should get the same temps as NH-D14 or SA.

The 600T and 650D can do p/p only if you use the thinner 120mm fans.

Is the h80 that much worse than the h100, and any suggestions on fitting the h100 in a FT02 case? I was thinking of keeping the silverstone 180mm AP fans there on bottom - custom made 35mm open air spacers - dual GT 1850rpm 120mm fans -h100 rad - dual GT 1850rpm 120mm fans.... or should I use shrouds? Or I could just lay it on the 180mm fans without the spacers.

Or should I just give up and grab the easier to mount H80 instead... but I fear more noise with this model.

Last edited:

I think p/p may fit in a 500r if you put 2 fans on the inside of the case and 2 under the top filter area. I'll know on Monday.

Just finished getting my H100 + 4x GT 1850s in. It's awesome. HOWEVER, be warned that some mobos have capacitors that block the seating of the block in the "original" way which is having the Corsair logo facing up, when I turned it 90 degrees clockwise, everything fit in fine.

19C idle, 60 on full LinX load, all fans on low. :)

just installed this bad boy in my haf-x rig (i7-970, rampage iii formula, gtx 570, 12gb 6-8-6-20 gskill ram)

did an overclock to 4.0ghz (25x multiplier, 1.25 voltage)

167krdd.jpg

fan configuration is the corsair fans on radiator, and two 200mm fans are exhaust, all pulling air up
rear fan intake
side panel fan intake
and front fan intake

will do further testing, literally just did it this morning
but pretty happy so far :)

Hi,

Did they use NZXT Tempest EVO for this test? So H100 is going to fit in it? Sorry, maybe its a dumb question, but it is not really clear from the text. They just mentioned that they had similar issue as on the test of CoolIT ECO C240, where they used NZXT case.

I would appreciate if somebody can confirm that H100 fits in Tempest EVO without moding the case,

Back