Corsair H100 Extreme Perf. Liquid CPU Cooler Review @ [H]

I got the H100 yesterday and I have a small issue with the sound from the fans. In addition to the air moving and the general 'wooshing' sound fans make, they make another sound. It's a bit hard to describe, but it's like a hurRrRrR, like someone rolling r's.

I have the fans set to low from the controller on the pump. It's not that loud, but now that I heard it I have trouble unhearing it. Anyone else notice the same sound?

Just picked one up based on this review...looking forward to what it does to my temps

I got the H100 yesterday and I have a small issue with the sound from the fans. In addition to the air moving and the general 'wooshing' sound fans make, they make another sound. It's a bit hard to describe, but it's like a hurRrRrR, like someone rolling r's.

I have the fans set to low from the controller on the pump. It's not that loud, but now that I heard it I have trouble unhearing it. Anyone else notice the same sound?

This isn't normal - does it happen on the other settings? Or when you have the fans plugged into the motherboard or powered otherwise?

If not - email me at [email protected] and I'll hook you up with an RMA.

Good to see that awesome Corsair customer support!

In other news, thanks for the great review!

Don't use stock fans, go with the Cougar CF-V12H fans an enjoy the stellar performance.

My h100 had been working excellently. About a week ago, the light stopped working as did the fans. The pump seems to be functioning, so plugging the fans into the motherboard is keeping the CPU temp well under control. I should RMA, however I do not wish to have my relatively new system down.

I have the Corsair 500R, which does work well with the h100. Perhaps some 12mm thickness fans will be in the future.

My h100 had been working excellently. About a week ago, the light stopped working as did the fans. The pump seems to be functioning, so plugging the fans into the motherboard is keeping the CPU temp well under control. I should RMA, however I do not wish to have my relatively new system down.

I have the Corsair 500R, which does work well with the h100. Perhaps some 12mm thickness fans will be in the future.

Corsair offers advanced RMA. Give them a CC and they ship to you first. Corsair CS seems to be OK. I have read a lot of stories the corsair forums when there was a bad batch of H100s. It seems to have worked out well for all involved. I would guess that with all the practice they had during the H100 fiasco that your RMA should be painless;)

This isn't normal - does it happen on the other settings? Or when you have the fans plugged into the motherboard or powered otherwise?

If not - email me at [email protected] and I'll hook you up with an RMA.

I came to the conclusion that it is normal. The sound is only a component of the overall sound, I basically hear it only if I pay some attention to it.

I tried with two extra fans the other day, and they make the same noise as well. It seems to be something to do with how the fans are built, as I can hear it on the case fans as well.

Great review on the H100. I have one in my rig with a push/pull configuration. Keeps my temps down.

Radiator_1.jpg

Radiator_2.jpg

Radiator_3.jpg

My husband has a Corsair 800D with a triple radiator installed which has 15mm screw hole spacing. The H100 has 15mm screw hole spacing which will fit in the 800D with room to spare!

This is exactly my situation, with the exception that I have an 800D. Lights and fan control don't work at all, but the pump does. I tried the firmware reset, with no results. I also don't want to RMA it, since the mobo runs the fans just fine.

This is exactly my situation, with the exception that I have an 800D. Lights and fan control don't work at all, but the pump does. I tried the firmware reset, with no results. I also don't want to RMA it, since the mobo runs the fans just fine.

i RMA'd mine cause it did the same thing and i got a new one, only thing thats crappy if you are ont he east coast takes for ever to get the enw one do to gorund shipping there and back amd the 2-4 days they take to process the rma once they get yours

even tho i still plan to use the MB to control the fan speed.

Wasn't there a bad batch that went out with issues like this? I know there is a site that lists the batch number.

since their is a cosair rep posting here i might as well try my luck i bought the corsair 400r recently and use a h50 wanted to switch over to the h100 but if i mounted the radiator with two fans OUTSIDE of the case and two fans insdie fo the case their wouldnt be any room and it would hit my ram slots (1/16th of an ich to spare) the radiator fans measure 1 inch and i have a total of 2 and 1/4 inchs 1.25 for the rad and 1.0 for the fans I could use the 12mm slim fans but am afraiid their performance wont make it worth while to upgrade and while I could run the radiator outside of the case i just dont want to dremel into it to make holes for the fans to go in nor do i have the tool to unpin and go thru the fan hoes

is their any problem if i run two genle typhoons on top of the case and the rad inside with two 12mm fans (not the same as gts) so it clears my ramsinks or will mix matching fans perform worse?

since their is a cosair rep posting here i might as well try my luck i bought the corsair 400r recently and use a h50 wanted to switch over to the h100 but if i mounted the radiator with two fans OUTSIDE of the case and two fans insdie fo the case their wouldnt be any room and it would hit my ram slots (1/16th of an ich to spare) the radiator fans measure 1 inch and i have a total of 2 and 1/4 inchs 1.25 for the rad and 1.0 for the fans I could use the 12mm slim fans but am afraiid their performance wont make it worth while to upgrade and while I could run the radiator outside of the case i just dont want to dremel into it to make holes for the fans to go in nor do i have the tool to unpin and go thru the fan hoes

is their any problem if i run two genle typhoons on top of the case and the rad inside with two 12mm fans (not the same as gts) so it clears my ramsinks or will mix matching fans perform worse?

I am running my radiator in my case and my fans on the outside up top ( top cover covers them of course on 600T) with fans blowing air into the case. My temps are great and I am only using some 1200rpm Twisterbearing LED Enermax fans because they look great. Apparently they work good enough though!

Here are some pics..

DSCF2676.jpg

DSCF2675-Copy.jpg

DSCF2678.jpg

DSCF2677.jpg

ya thats my problem your fans are covered mine would not be they would sit on top of my case and i have no way of routing the fan wires inside the case without cutting into or buying fan connection tool to slide it thru one of the fan holes and even then it would only be a push or pull not both

2u9505u.jpg

if you notice one fan alone almost is close to my ram if i ran two fans outside with the radiator on top which is super ghetto that would be the only way to get push pull but then how do I route the wires lol fail

Just making sure, kandor, since I was thinking about doing this myself: do you have the radiator mounted directly under the bracket/frame the 200mm upper case fans sit on? (More importantly, will the screws that this thing comes with work for that?)

Last edited:
Yes, the rad is screwed directly to the steel case that is underneath the case's 200mm fans. The case has existing holes in the right locations for the rad. I used my own slightly shorter screws however because the steel is pretty thin, and the screws it came with 'looked' like they might hit the rad fins when fully engaged. Although I think even if the end of the screw touched the fins it wouldn't really cause a problem. Also, the mount holes in the case are dimpled so the screw head ends up being recessed so it wont interfere with the 200mm fan blades.

Hey guys, would it be worth my while to spend the extra $20-30 on the H100 versus the H80 if I am running a 2500K? I've already got a case with a 240mm radiator mounting on the top lid so that is no problem at all.

My 2500K is doing 4.5GHz right now but on the stock Intel cooler and it's hitting 85° C at load.

Features_top.jpg

Last edited:
My new 2500k / mobo / H100 will be here on monday. I was planning on swapping out the stock Corsair fans for my Noctua NH-P12's. Anybody have any feedback on that particular set up? I'd like to avoid buying those nice Cougar CF-V12H's if I can.

Here's my setup. Sort of forced to buy H100 because that was the only cooler available that was compatible with LGA2011. Had to use these Scythe SLIM fans because one of the stock fans would not fit under one of the video cards (the SLIM just squeezes in). Plus the performance with these slim Scythe fans is as good as stock fans and MUCH quieter. Had to plug them into the MB otherwise the PWM on the pump kept turning them on and off as they don't support speed control.

6414417143_f839d2c0c7_z.jpg

The H80 cools an i5 2500k just fine at 4.5.

I'm wondering if I could push it to 5GHz though with an H100. The [H] review seems to indicate that the difference isn't that much (2 degrees) between H80 and H100. My local place has the H100 on sale for $89.99 now.

Figure I would post this picture here to show that it's possible to install the H100 in the front drive bay of a Raven RV-03.

PRE_2011-11-29-131002.jpg

Hi, for those of you using 1155 chipset (i'm using an asus p8p67 evo), did you guys use the shorter screws or the longer ones to mount?

I thought i was supposed to use the shorter screws but i couldn't mount the thicker side of the screw to the mounting bracket so i ended up using the long screws to mount it.

my temperatures seem high, but i'm at work so i can't post any of them.

What do you guys think would be the best location/etc to put this in a Mountain Mods U2UFO Case. Push/pull config.
Since there is so much room, can the entire unit fit inside the case, or it is still advisable to have the one set of fans outside.

Thanks

Have any of you experienced some slack/play on the h100 backplate? asus 1155 board p8z68? Its not a tight fit and the screws on the processor side also have slack? Its not excessive but enough that I can see it not sitting properly.

fixed: the nuts with the back plate need a spacer, i was going to use one of the included washers but it wouldn't clear the back plate embossed edges. made a spacer with the nuts.
I'll have pics later, because that probably makes no sense. and would like to proved a ghetto solution for this problem.

Last edited:
Do you mean a little play after you've screwed on the four standoff's on the cpu side of the motherboard. i.e. the back plate has small posts that come through the motherboard that the standoff nut bottoms out on instead of snugging onto the motherboard? Because that play is meant to be there, otherwise when you tighten the standoff's down then you are applying clamping force to the pcb board itself. After you tighten the cooler/pump onto the standoff's everything will be in tension and the backplate play is irrelevant.

Hey kandor, thank you for the advice.

Glad you sifted through the jibberish to understand what I was talking about. The entire backplate and posts had lots of play. After putting on the cooler it seemed to reduce it but i still wasnt satisfied, as I could still move the cooler up and down a little. I put on a little washer and that seemed that fix it. Booted and got a temp of 22c. I think it should be fine.

Back