Corsair: 650D

There was one post I read on a forum where someone casually mentioned that the H80 cannot be installed in the top of a 650D, I haven't seen that claim made anywhere else.

I just started looking at alternatives to the H80 and came up with the Noctua NH-D14. It's ugly but seems to perform well and is a decent price. Anyone have experience using one of these in the 650D? I think I saw some screenshots of it way earlier in this thread somewhere, I recall thinking man that is an ugly fan.

There was one post I read on a forum where someone casually mentioned that the H80 cannot be installed in the top of a 650D, I haven't seen that claim made anywhere else.

I just started looking at alternatives to the H80 and came up with the Noctua NH-D14. It's ugly but seems to perform well and is a decent price. Anyone have experience using one of these in the 650D? I think I saw some screenshots of it way earlier in this thread somewhere, I recall thinking man that is an ugly fan.

why not H100? I have my H100 mounted in push/pull in my 650D

Well I was looking at the H100 which was on sale for $100 and I felt it was really pricey, then the next time I looked the price had jumped up to $120 and I decided against it. The H80 is on sale for $90 and the NH-D14 is on sale for $75.

I found some photos of a NH-D14 fitting into a 650D, it also gives clearance for Ripjaws ram which I'm planning to buy. I'm starting to think this is the way to go.

I'm doing my shopping at Canada Computers, they have the best prices in Canada 99% of the time and I can pick stuff up in person to save on shipping.

The H80 rad is thicker than the H100 therefore it may not clear some peoples motherboard/ram. Its made to go in the rear exhaust fan spot.

the h60 has a much thinner radiator, it might fit up top. i haven't tried it though, so i couldn't really say.

Anyone have any idea the difference in fan noise between H80 rear mounted and H100 top mounted? I have my case on the ground next to my desk and was curious if I'd hear it less if it was venting out the back rather then pulling air from the top in H100.

I think I'm going to buy the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo for this case, can anyone tell me if it's a tight fit for the 650D? This is a popular cooler so I suspect a lot of people have installed it in this case. Thanks.

I think I'm going to buy the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo for this case, can anyone tell me if it's a tight fit for the 650D? This is a popular cooler so I suspect a lot of people have installed it in this case. Thanks.
Is that the same as the Coolermaster 212+?, if then,... it fits good

Looks the same as the 212+. in that case yes it fits with about a inch or so to spare above the heatsink. I know first hand because I just built a rig in this case with the 212+ :cool:

Looks the same as the 212+. in that case yes it fits with about a inch or so to spare above the heatsink. I know first hand because I just built a rig in this case with the 212+ :cool:

I'll back this up as I did the same thing.

Also note this interesting gem I found...
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...ator_Silverstone_Cooler_Master_Yate_Loon.html

Looks like it will fit perfectly up front if you remove the plastic HDD holder and hdd cage to the postion closest to the PSU. Should have more then enough room for a pump as well.

This should be enough to support a overclocked i7 and Single GPU. if more cooling is needed there's always the top of the case with it's room for 140mm rads! :eek: :cool:

It does fit in the front, but the screw holes on the mounting plate on the rad won't line up with the front fan. The end tanks get in the way of the 5.25" drive bay. There are a few solutions:
1) Drill holes into one of the Phobya mounting plates (it comes with two)
2) Cut some material from the bottom of the 5.25" drive bays and mount the rad upside-down (ports at the bottom, bleed screw at the top)
3) Use zip-ties or double-sided industrial strength tape to attach the front fan to the radiator.

I did #3 with zip-ties and it works fine. I'm using 2x Coolermaster Megaflows in push/pull instead of the stock fan because they push more air*, are quieter*, and I had them leftover from my trashed HAF922. If you're looking for fans that push more air*, the Bitfenix Spectre Pro fits and the NZXT FN200 might work. Silverstone needs to make their AP fans in a 200mm size, because I hear those have very good static pressure. They fit in a 650d, but you need to modify them or the case...

A Phobya 200mm rad also fits at the top of the case, but I wouldn't recommend it. It takes a good amount of work to get everything to "mount" and you aren't going to fit a push/pull setup. I have the Corsair 200mm fan pushing through the rad and everything is secured with a complicated arrangement of screws and zip ties. It's not worth all the swearing and frustration when you can easily fit a 2x140mm rad and fans up there. I only did it because I had to the two Phobya 200mm rads and didn't want to try to trade one for something else.

*Well, supposedly. This is going by the manufacturer's numbers, which aren't always accurate. The Coolermaster fans are quieter than the stock Corsair units at 100%.

Yeah I think the 212 Evo is the same as the 212+ but with the heat pipes on the bottom closer together. I think the dimensions are the same. Thanks guys.

It'll fit in the case no problem. The "fit" problem is more applicable with the board: if the RAM modules stick up too much (and are at that end of the board) then you might have an issue. The radiator is thick enough that with it and the two fans, it comes over nearly to the CPU socket.

My personal feeling is that the H100 is a way better choice. More surface area, so you can spin the fans slower. It also is nearly invisible at the top of the case, which leaves everything nice and open for airflow to the other components.

In the 650D, the H100 does leave a small amount of space on each side for regular case-air exhaust. Most of this would be blocked off if you did a dual 140mm radiator setup.

Anyone have the replacement vented side panel with the 4 fan mounts?

How's the fit and finish? I'm looking at getting this case and the replacement panel as I really want to keep my 6970s running as cool as I possibly can.

Looks amazing, was actually looking at the slot loading bay earlier. Do they make one that works with standard 5.25, or do i have to buy a slim optical drive. returning not an issue, but couldnt find standard size

done. i opted for the silverstone slot load bay instead of the stealth bay i made because i was an idiot and tried to take the front panel off without taking the dirve out first and the front came off the drive. i couldn't get it back on flush and i wanted to use that bluray drive for turning my previous computer into an HTPC anyway.

2z7najb.jpg

108e7w9.jpg

27xl180.jpg

Looks amazing, was actually looking at the slot loading bay earlier. Do they make one that works with standard 5.25, or do i have to buy a slim optical drive. returning not an issue, but couldnt find standard size

and is the ssd stuck on with velcro?

and is the ssd stuck on with velcro?
you have to get a slim one.

it's not on with velcro, i drilled two holes in the side lip and then there is a third screw holding the other side down on the back through the hole that usually has a rubber grommet on it. if that makes any sense...

the back one doesn't look like it's doing anything, but it most definitely is.

34j3l6u.jpg

242blz5.jpg

I see the holes on the right, but on the back, you took out the cable management grommet, and just put in a screw into the hold on ssd? Sorry, cant make out if back screw holding onto anything

you can't really see in the picture but the screw is holding it on to the edge. it doesn't even need this screw to stay flat but i put it in just to make it a bit more secure. the grommet had to come out or the drive wouldn't lay flat.

I've been using my h100 in the top of the case and just figured out by reading the [H] 600t review, you can mount to the inside of the hdd cage, like so.

http://hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTMzNTY1NzE2MExWUWVJUUZROHJfNV8xM19sLmpwZw==

I have plenty of room because my gpus are short but was wondering about temps in the case.

Would CPU temps drop any by having the front 200mm fan pushing and 120x2 fans pulling? Would GPU temps rise because of the hot air exiting the h100? Does readding the 200mm fan up top do anything to the possibly raised gpu temps, etc??

google is being less than helpful. Thanks in advance.

I've been using my h100 in the top of the case and just figured out by reading the [H] 600t review, you can mount to the inside of the hdd cage, like so.

http://hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTMzNTY1NzE2MExWUWVJUUZROHJfNV8xM19sLmpwZw==

I have plenty of room because my gpus are short but was wondering about temps in the case.

Would CPU temps drop any by having the front 200mm fan pushing and 120x2 fans pulling? Would GPU temps rise because of the hot air exiting the h100? Does readding the 200mm fan up top do anything to the possibly raised gpu temps, etc??

google is being less than helpful. Thanks in advance.

You'd probably get better CPU temperatures by sandwiching the H100 in quality (high static pressure) 120mm fans. As for your other questions, this might help. Otherwise, it won't hurt to try!

What do you guys do to clean the dust filters? Easiest might be to air can them but I was wondering if just washing them in the sink makes sense, would save on compressed air and probably be more thorough.

there are similar reports with the 650D's stock fan controller. i would never take failure reviews into account unless they are in the majority as there is going to be a percentage of failures with any electronic equipment. take into account the percentage of good vs bad and only take into account the one stars if they are in abundance as they are typically the hardware failure reviews.

"Never buy compressed air again" isn't quite true. While it works quite well, it isn't a replacement for the power of canned air in getting gunk off. I use it as a generic "clean out the whole computer" tool. But if you really want stuff to be really clean, it will fall short.

Does get hot after a few minutes of running, so just pay attention to it.

If there were some one star ratings for it just plain not working I'd probably ignore em, but having something set on fire is kind of a big deal.

"Never buy compressed air again" isn't quite true. While it works quite well, it isn't a replacement for the power of canned air in getting gunk off. I use it as a generic "clean out the whole computer" tool. But if you really want stuff to be really clean, it will fall short.

Does get hot after a few minutes of running, so just pay attention to it.
this thing is way more powerful than any can of compressed air i ever used. i can't think of one thing that a can of compressed air would be better for.

Funny, I keep thinking I'd want to get this case over my Trooper, but everyone seems to have some sort of weird problems here and there with their 650Ds.

My only problem with 650D was a slightly bent layer of metal in the front where a rivet didn't go through it's hole. It doesn't interfere with anything and is completely out of sight so I decided it's no big deal. Been very pleased with the case and now that I've upgraded to a modern day motherboard I see even more great things about it. Very well designed.

Youch! I just tried the front USB 3.0 ports for the first time, they're extremely tight. My USB drive felt like it was grinding against the metal trying to get it inserted into either port. Feels bad. The 2.0 ports feel fine.

Last edited:
I'm seriously considering picking up a 650D today to replace my CoolerMaster ATCS. I've been wanting to downsize a bit. Am I making a mistake in doing this?

that is a very nice case.... i do love the 650D but i don't know if i would recommend it over that case. the only thing better on the 650d is the interior. if i had known about that case before i bought mine i would be hard pressed to choose.... think i would still choose the 650D because of the interior though.

has anybody run into a way to install 120mm fans in the front?? Hopefully in a 2x120 bracket or something? i'm buying 2x Antec Kuhler 620s to cool my graphics cards and wanting to mount them instead of just stacking them in the bottom of the case.

For thoughs who purchased the mesh side panel, does it drop temps enough to justify the $23 shipping to Canada?.....

I freaking missed the free cdn shipping last year by 2 days, but summer heats making me rethink the need for it.

Alright im new here and i thought the best way to say hello would be to show my pc to you guys.

Ive had the corsair 650d about 9 months now but i constantly keep upgrading parts to it the newest parts are the PSU, SSD and the front fan and top fan (no pictures).
These are the most recent pictures i have about a month old when i put the new PSU in. ive got another coolermaster megaflow 200mm in the top and i have ordered some bitfenix alchemy strips for the bottom lighting. Depending on how this looks when its done i might add some red cables for the 24 pin and the vga for the gpu. (Also the h60 is the proper way around i had it the proper way then flipped it so it looked cleaner but i got advised it wasnt the best idea so flipped it back straight away)

I'll add some pictures when im finally finished shouldnt be long

System Specs:
Corsair Obsidian 650D| H60 | Vengenace 8GB | Force GT 128GB SSD| AX750|2X500GB HDDS| Windows 7 64bit|AMD Phenom II x6 1090t Black Edition 3.20Ghz|Asus Crosshair IV Formula DDR3 Motherboard| ATI Sapphire 6970 2GB

7176249338_4178886e5f_c.jpg

7176277746_cbb9e13822_c.jpg

7176280286_4006179725_c.jpg

7176283062_d2dcde7142_c.jpg

(For high quality ones http://www.flickr.com/photos/almostgfx/sets/72157629678811340/)

What do you guys think??

your ssd is mounted in the exact same place as mine, i drilled holes and used screw however. it will mount flush if you pull out the grommet right next to it.

Back