Corsair: 650D

My first build ever. Need to work on the cable management in the back because the wires are sort of pushing the side panel out a little bit, but I am happy.

Congrats on an absolutely BEAUTIFUL and rock solid first build! Do you mind if I ask what kind of temps you are getting on your 570's? That's VERY close to the build I'm working on for a friend.

Thanks,

It runs pretty hot but it all depends on how much airflow you have around the case and your ambient room temperature. My top card gets to around 88c max, never quite getting to 90c. I live in SF, so it's pretty chilly right now. I know in the summer, I'm going to have heat issues.

But to answer your question, on load if playing bf3, top card around 85c and bottom at 80c, with fans at 70% on 100% load. Idles around 30-40c with fans at 40% for both. Not the quietest on load, but not unbearable. My old computer was louder so I'm quite used to it. Hope that helps.

As long as it's under 90, it's all good. :D I appreciate the information!! We were originally concerned that because of the airflow with two cards that we were going to have to go with true water cooling and pick up blocks for the GPUs...

But judging by your results I think an H100, the side screen, and some fans (I have 3 Skythe Slipstreams he can have) should be more than sufficient. Thanks for saving me the headache of water cooling a system that isn't mine, lol.

Last edited:
Might have to wait for this case now.
jh.jpg

ht.jpg

Sigh...I went ahead and ordered the mesh panel for my 650D. I have noticed my top video card running a bit warm and BF3 has shown some flickering that I assume is caused by heat issues. I replaced the top 200mm fan with a white LED one, so I'll be using the original 200mm fan with the side panel.

Here is my new build. I velcro'd my SSD on top of the hard drive casings..

111920111357.jpg

111920111356.jpg

Last edited:
Well, it is flexible. I can't see any other way of doing it that would make the filter stiff without some kind of frame.

Hey guys anyone tried fitting one of those 3.5 bay to 2x2.5 drive bay converters in this case and does it work and which one?

I have the bigger 200mm fan up front so I can only have 1 drive bay in the case. I have 2 1tb drive in there already and am trying to figure out how to fit 2 more SSDs now. Might have to use the one bay thats left and then velcro one on top like the in picture above. :) Thumbs up for that sweet idea by the way.

Just got my Lamptron FC-V2 setup, and it looks amazing with the red. The black aluminum finish look matches the 650D almost perfectly. Only thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is my Sony DVD drive which is more gray.

If anyone is thinking about a fan controller, this one looks nice so showing some pics for people on the fence and wondering what it looks like on a 650D. The fan controller has about 5-6 colors to choose from.

I have an FC5V2 as well and use white in order to match the power LED on the 800D. It doesn't have the front grill so no other lighting up front for me to require matching. Really nice fan controller for any of the Obsidian series cases.

That fan controller does look nice i may put one in my 600T next time i build a computer.
Arnt they like $50-60?

I'm going to be building a new PC using this case very soon. I've read through a few of the pages on this thread, but I'm still a little uncertain. What would you all suggest I do as far as fans are concerned? I was thinking of swapping out the front 200mm for something better and quieter, but what? I also thought about either replacing the top 200mm as well, if that's doable(?), or adding two 120mm.

I'll be using a 2600K that I plan to OC as much as it will go on air using some sort of single 120mm fanned tower cooler. Not sure which one right now. I'll also be reusing my two unlocked 6950 Toxic's, or possibly two GTX 580's.

Thanks

Two 120s on top are very much possible. The fron is another matter. Some in this thread have modified the front to fit other size fans. Not simple to do.

I have a Corsair H100 in mine at the top. Fits perfectly.

Could someone in the know let me know what 200mm front fan and screws to buy, I'm ordering tonight if possible.

Thanks.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037326735&postcount=1162

See my build on this page. You can mount a 120 or 140 on the front using rubber plugs. I used a combination of TY-140's and apache blacks, since they are all pwm. I set temperature/speed profiles using the asus software. The TY-140 made an annoying noise when pulling suction next to the front mesh. Blowing through mesh, the noise is not there. So I cut it out with a grease pen and dremel using a reinforced cutting wheel. It's easy. Take your time and shop vac the chips out. Not sure why it's necessary in the first place since there is a filter in front.

Great case. The drive cage sucks. It vibrates sometimes. I've been meaning to reinforce it or spray on a thick coat of rubber.

Hmm...nice looking fan in front of your SLI 580s. I have SLI 570s and the top card runs pretty hot. I also have my drive bay next to the power supply, what fan should I use and how long is that zip tie?

The fan is a thermalright TY-140. There are (2 or 3) zip ties ganged together. I used the releasable kind so the fan can easily be moved.

Thanks, I'm just going to order a 140mm for this purpose. How much more does it help? Like 2-3c lower?

I never measured. The backplates draw out a lot heat and the fan helps cool the plates. The top card runs around 73 degrees with maximum settings at 2560x1600 in BF3 while the GPU fans are spinning around 65% full speed (800 MHZ and 1050 mV with IC diamond paste). It shouldn't matter for your application, but be aware TY-140's have 120 mm hole spacing. On my setup, the fan rpm is controlled by the motherboard headers through Asus software. There are profiles for CPU and CHASSIS fans but the CHASSIS profile is still driven off a temperature sensor on the CPU. Since the silver arrow is such an effective CPU cooler, I purposely retard the CPU fan speed which makes the CPU temperature increase a little during gaming, and in turn the GPU fan, speeds up during a game. It's an iterative process to make it work just right. A better way to do it, is to tie the fan sense wire into the equivalent wire on the GPU fans. The motherboard manufacturer's aren't very clever. There should be a temperature sensor near the GPU's, so we can control case fans off the largest producer of heat. Sandybridge is easy to keep cool.

I also experimented with three kinds of aftermarket air coolers for the cards and determined stock coolers for 580's are the best way to go, excluding water.

How hard is it to swap out the built-in fan controller? Mine is apaprently defective. :rolleyes: It's not powering on any of the 200mm fans hooked up to it (front, top, side with mesh panel.)

Back