Corsair: 650D

Does anyone know if the H100 actually fits in the 650D? Not speculation, but someone who has actually put one in and tested it? If it works then that config will be top of my list for my next build. I am really hoping that the mesh insert will be released as well, since every review I've read on the 650D shows that its cooling performance is slightly lower than that of similar cases that have a side mounted fan.

A 650D with a cpu water cooler up top, and a side fan ensuring cool air is fed directly to the video card, would be great. This case has pretty much everything I want, with the exception of a side fan option and the option to use internal USB 3.0 headers. One shortfall is supposedly being worked on, the other, well, there are workarounds that don't involve dremel tool use, and that's pretty much what I'm hoping for. A case that works well and won't make me hack at it with power tools.

By this review at anandtech, the thermals are disappointing for air cooling. The reviewer places the blame on the negative pressure cooling setup, and I have to agree based on around 25ish years of fiddling with personal computer builds. A side fan or even a mesh side without fans would help.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4529/corsair-obsidian-650d-transmuting-graphite-to-obsidian

For people willing to cut their case, the replacement solid side panel available from corsair could be hacked up to make holes for side fans, but a mesh insert with fan mounting holes already built in would be a much nicer option I think. They just need to get it built and placed up for sale in order to address what seems to be a very common complaint and wishlist item for this case.

Edit - to clarify, there are things that the Anandtech reviewer could have done differently. A different cpu heatsink aligned with the heat exhausting UP, flipping the rear fan to intake, and adding a cool air duct to the front of the heatsink, could have made a difference. Still, for purposes of a case review, there shouldn't have to be any ducting mods or fan flipping going on. In general, I don't think I've seen any case air cooling method more easily effective than blowing cool air directly onto whatever is making heat. That includes complicated ducting, partitioning, etc. In the simplest form, a side fan blowing cool air right onto the heat source is very nearly as effective as far more complicated designs. The front fan blows air onto the hard drives, a side fan would blow cool air onto the vid card, a second side fan could blow air towards the cpu heatsink, and then the existing exhaust fans would help remove all that hot air from the case. Simple and effective. Adding simple cpu watercooling makes the top exhaust fans do double-duty, so only a single quiet side fan blowing cool air onto the vid card would be necessary. That setup would make all the difference in the world and I think that would make this a much better case, improving cooling without increasing noise very much, and without needing any further mods.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the H100 actually fits in the 650D? Not speculation, but someone who has actually put one in and tested it? If it works then that config will be top of my list for my next build. I am really hoping that the mesh insert will be released as well, since every review I've read on the 650D shows that its cooling performance is slightly lower than that of similar cases that have a side mounted fan.

A 650D with a cpu water cooler up top, and a side fan ensuring cool air is fed directly to the video card, would be great. This case has pretty much everything I want, with the exception of a side fan option and the option to use internal USB 3.0 headers. One shortfall is supposedly being worked on, the other, well, there are workarounds that don't involve dremel tool use, and that's pretty much what I'm hoping for. A case that works well and won't make me hack at it with power tools.

I get mt H100 today (out for delivery now) and will install it tonight sometime.

By this review at anandtech, the thermals are disappointing for air cooling. The reviewer places the blame on the negative pressure cooling setup, and I have to agree based on around 25ish years of fiddling with personal computer builds. A side fan or even a mesh side without fans would help.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4529/corsair-obsidian-650d-transmuting-graphite-to-obsidian

For people willing to cut their case, the replacement solid side panel available from corsair could be hacked up to make holes for side fans, but a mesh insert with fan mounting holes already built in would be a much nicer option I think. They just need to get it built and placed up for sale in order to address what seems to be a very common complaint and wishlist item for this case.

Edit - to clarify, there are things that the Anandtech reviewer could have done differently. A different cpu heatsink aligned with the heat exhausting UP, flipping the rear fan to intake, and adding a cool air duct to the front of the heatsink, could have made a difference. Still, for purposes of a case review, there shouldn't have to be any ducting mods or fan flipping going on. In general, I don't think I've seen any case air cooling method more easily effective than blowing cool air directly onto whatever is making heat. That includes complicated ducting, partitioning, etc. In the simplest form, a side fan blowing cool air right onto the heat source is very nearly as effective as far more complicated designs. The front fan blows air onto the hard drives, a side fan would blow cool air onto the vid card, a second side fan could blow air towards the cpu heatsink, and then the existing exhaust fans would help remove all that hot air from the case. Simple and effective. Adding simple cpu watercooling makes the top exhaust fans do double-duty, so only a single quiet side fan blowing cool air onto the vid card would be necessary. That setup would make all the difference in the world and I think that would make this a much better case, improving cooling without increasing noise very much, and without needing any further mods.

I agree, A nice mesh side add-on w/ the option to add up to 4 fans would be nice and cant wait til its actually available, But then again, Adding the fans would distract from seeing inside, So maybe just the mesh without fans would be better?

I agree, A nice mesh side add-on w/ the option to add up to 4 fans would be nice and cant wait til its actually available, But then again, Adding the fans would distract from seeing inside, So maybe just the mesh without fans would be better?

I think the mesh with a single fan blowing towards the vid card could help the thermals a lot. Same goes for a fan blowing towards the cpu if air cooling is used for the cpu. The idea is to have cool air blown directly towards the hot spots rather than hoping internal air circulation will simply waft past the hot parts, moving the heat around and eventually out the exhaust. It is the same idea as water cooling, applying cooling directly to the hottest spots. Water cooling is "better" because not only does it target cooling directly to the hot bits, it also removes that heat before it can warm up other parts. But the next best thing is making sure the hot parts get cold air blown directly onto them.

Many will disagree based on *their* experience, but their arguments seem to be more anecdotal, based on vague theories of ideal airflow models. That's fine, they can create a mini tornado in their cases if they think it helps. But think about this - even a computer built completely out in the open will have BETTER cooling for a given amount of airflow and noise if a fan directs air right onto the hot parts, compared to the same computer with a fan that just blows the same amount of air across the whole rig.

It fits with 4 fans just fine. The bottom 2 fans should be installed first as its a little snug as its up against the mobo. I will take some pics tonight of my setup.

Read on the Corsair forum that they are planning on releasing a side panel with the much wanted fan mesh. No word on compatability though, but it would surprise me if it didn't support atleast 140mm fans.

The drive bays can(should?) also be moved to the center position if you don't use more then 3 drives or use a very large psu to prevent blocking the airflow from the front fan completely.

It fits with 4 fans just fine. The bottom 2 fans should be installed first as its a little snug as its up against the mobo. I will take some pics tonight of my setup.

Really?
Yes post some pics please.

I wasn't going to order a 650D since I heard it couldn't do a push/pull config but now I might. If it get's some discounts on newegg of course. That or add some dust filters to my HAF 932.

Really?
Yes post some pics please.

I wasn't going to order a 650D since I heard it couldn't do a push/pull config but now I might. If it get's some discounts on newegg of course. That or add some dust filters to my HAF 932.

It heavily depends on your motherboard. If your motherboard has a large heatsink over the VRMs above the socket, then it probably won't do push-pull. If it doesn't, you might be okay.

Is it just me, or isn't there a way to use decent 120mm fans with the built in fan controller? almost all the 120mm fans I'd want to buy have 4 pin plugs, where's the fan controller has 3 pin sockets.

It heavily depends on your motherboard. If your motherboard has a large heatsink over the VRMs above the socket, then it probably won't do push-pull. If it doesn't, you might be okay.

My maximus iv extreme-z doesnt have a large sink above the socket.

Does anyone happen to know how much power each channel on the built in fan controller will provide? Would I be fine running 2 Apache blacks off 1 channel? They are rated at like 0.33 amps each.

Well I ran into clearance issues with my mobo (asus maximus iv extreme-z) and trying to do push/pull.

With 4 fans, the bottom 2 fans cover the 8pin connector on the mobo and some other connectors (fan connectors), basically making it virtually impossible to connect the 8pin mobo cable inside the 650D case.

Damn. Guess my only choice is to either only do 2 fans or get a bigger case that has more clearance from top to mobo.

So if you have this mobo and case, you'll run into issues if you plan to push/pull

AthlonXP, Your h100 fits fine in the 650d because your 8pin connector on that board is further down than mine. Mine is right close to the top edge :(

Yha, you can pu 2 ouside of it...

Can you get 2 higher cfm fans? Ys the 2 will be louder, but compared to 4??

Well I ran into clearance issues with my mobo (asus maximus iv extreme-z) and trying to do push/pull.

With 4 fans, the bottom 2 fans cover the 8pin connector on the mobo and some other connectors (fan connectors), basically making it virtually impossible to connect the 8pin mobo cable inside the 650D case.

Damn. Guess my only choice is to either only do 2 fans or get a bigger case that has more clearance from top to mobo.

So if you have this mobo and case, you'll run into issues if you plan to push/pull

AthlonXP, Your h100 fits fine in the 650d because your 8pin connector on that board is further down than mine. Mine is right close to the top edge :(

thanks for this info. Do you think using 2 regular 25mm width fans and 2 slim 20mm fans would work or is it just not happening at all with the maximus extrme?

thanks for this info. Do you think using 2 regular 25mm width fans and 2 slim 20mm fans would work or is it just not happening at all with the maximus extrme?

I'm sure 120x20s would fit fine, if you can find good speed 120x20mm fans and screws small enough for the 20 to the rad.

I was told not to use 120x20mm fans on a rad.

Aslong as it is a high static head fan, which might be hard to find, i think that'd be okay.

I think thin fans have less pressure due to common desgin of them... And why the 650d has iffy cooling to start with.

Or could you switch to a fatter fan to get better cfm and head pressure?

Aslong as it is a high static head fan, which might be hard to find, i think that'd be okay.

I think thin fans have less pressure due to common desgin of them... And why the 650d has iffy cooling to start with.

Or could you switch to a fatter fan to get better cfm and head pressure?

fatter fans as in thicker? if so, read this:

Well I ran into clearance issues with my mobo (asus maximus iv extreme-z) trying to do push/pull.

So, As you see, Cant use THICKER fans.

I cant use 4 120x120x25 fans. Has to be 2 120x120x25 and 2 120x120x20s

I would think you could use the 20s as the pull since those won't need as much static pressure, that might work just fine.

I seen that, but if you got a set of 40mm you could use the push or pull and get a good airflow. Skinnier overall but better over airflow than just va standard 25mm.

I seen that, but if you got a set of 40mm you could use the push or pull and get a good airflow. Skinnier overall but better over airflow than just va standard 25mm.

You may be on to something. I was thinking the same thing. I remember using a Vantec Tornado and it pushed a lot more air than a 25mm fan while on a fan bus turned up half way.

They are supposed to have available soon. But "soon" may mean something different to others.

Its funny, I spoke of this awhile ago, and got shit on.... By a now even more peeved super fan, but I got 10C on my gpu and 6 on my cpu, making me have to decrease my oc.

Switching out the front 200 for a fatter fan helps, but you'll have to move your drive bays forward.

Its my belief that the 200's just don't have the umph to push the air into such a huge case. I put 140'sa up top, with 1 sucking out over the cpu, and 1 pushing in beside it.

Thge mesh should be wonberful ad allow air to get sucked in. With out the side, my temps drop 10+C.

Its funny, I spoke of this awhile ago, and got shit on.... By a now even more peeved super fan, but I got 10C on my gpu and 6 on my cpu, making me have to decrease my oc.

Switching out the front 200 for a fatter fan helps, but you'll have to move your drive bays forward.

Its my belief that the 200's just don't have the umph to push the air into such a huge case. I put 140'sa up top, with 1 sucking out over the cpu, and 1 pushing in beside it.

Thge mesh should be wonberful ad allow air to get sucked in. With out the side, my temps drop 10+C.

Try 1 one of the silverstone 180mm fans for the front or how about cutting a hole on the side for a 120/140mm fan. Bill owen of MNPCTech made a clear side window for the 600T with 2 fans and looks awesome.

282424_2234674943516_1147221615_32695300_3754432_n.jpg

The brown is just paper backing on the inside.

Last edited:
Its ok, But having 4 fans on side, While it would be cool, Wouldnt it be alittle loud and then you wouldnt be able to see the nice pieces in the case :)

I like the clear window he made, Maybe make it in other colored acrylic would look kick ass.

I'm really, really hoping that the mesh side panel has holes to mount a 200mm fan to pull air in.

A bit part of the draw of this case was to cut down on noise, so if the side-panel has 4x 120mm fan spots like that, I'll be doing some modding of my own.

My temps have definitely risen since switching to the 650D and anything to help out my Video Card will help.

I'm really, really hoping that the mesh side panel has holes to mount a 200mm fan to pull air in.

A bit part of the draw of this case was to cut down on noise, so if the side-panel has 4x 120mm fan spots like that, I'll be doing some modding of my own.

My temps have definitely risen since switching to the 650D and anything to help out my Video Card will help.

The option to install 4 120mm fans or 1 200mm fan would be better I think.

I have 2 noctua 140's, NF-P14 WITH THE 120/140 mounts and hey are damn quite with the middle resistor on them.

I'm gonna wait fror the side to see if it's affordable... Unforunately I'm physically unable to do modding.. or even basic tweeking myself, so I have to suck up or pay with beer, my freinds to help.

There are plenty of fans you could use on the mesh side panel (whenever it becomes available) that would be practically inaudible. I'm very curious as to how much of a difference it would make on the CPU temps.

I'm fine with my GPU temps, but if you're running SLI or Crossfire you'd probably see a significant improvement especially regarding the hotter card. Any date for the mesh panel?

Getting a cooler internal would be a great benifit to your cpu, so I could see a good cpu improvement.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but what are some good fans to replace the front one and top ones with? Are they easy to replace?

I am enjoying the 650d very much. Well done Corsair!

Sorry if this has been answered before, but what are some good fans to replace the front one and top ones with? Are they easy to replace?

I am enjoying the 650d very much. Well done Corsair!

I asked the same question here in this thread. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1626499.

Short Version: Flip the top fan to intake for now, then replace it with 2x140mm Thermalright X-Silents. Keep the front fan the way it is.

And from playing with my Corsair 650D today, the top fan/fans look relatively easy to replace, as you don't need to remove bits to get at them. The front fan requires removal of the hard drive trays.

Yha the top fan is just screwed in... Takes 30 seconds. I did 2 noctuas but as an intake and outtake setup.

Back