Best 120mm/140mm case fans?

meyerkev

Limp Gawd
So I have a brand new 650D, and I'm looking at upgrading the cooling setup.

Fan Setup: There's a front 200mm, a rear 120/140mm, and a top 200mm, which I can replace with 2 140mm fans if needed.
CPU: i7-2600k OC'd as far as I dare.
CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212
GFX cards: CFX XFX 6970's.
Mobo: ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO. It looks like it has 3 3-pin connectors, and 3 4-pin connectors.

The 3 current case fans use 3 pin connectors, while the current CPU fan uses a 4-pin connector.

I'm looking at adding two120mm fans to the CPU cooler, and replacing the top 200mm fan with 2 140 mm intake fans. What fans should I use? Given that I sleep with a 20 inch box fan right next to my bed, I'm okay with noise as long as it's not a jet engine.

Also, if the current fans suck, what should I replace it with?

Keep the stock 200mm fans. Noiseblockers are considered the best 140 fans, but are pricey. Gentle Typhoons are considered the best 120 fans.

I really like my Scythe Slipstream's. Went for very cheap on Newegg and keep my rig pretty cool. Ive got 3 120mm running intake, 1 120mm and 1 140mm running exhaust. Helps keep my CPU and GPU temps down nice and low.

Since you're going to want strong air pressure and high airflow on your CPU cooler, the two 120MM fans I'd recommend would be the 1850RPM Scythe GentleTyphoon if you can find them. Or, if your CPU cooler can support larger fans with 120MM holes, which I believe the Hyper 212 can do, I'd recommend the Thermalright TYR-140 fans. As for the 140MM fans replacing your 200MM fans I'd put the Thermalright X-Silent fans up to bat. These Thermalright fans have phenomenal price/performance ratios, run extremely silent and almost outclass any other $20+ fans. As for the GTs, I'd highly recommend a fan controller for the them because at full speed they can be a bit loud, but still much quieter than many other 120MM fans that run at lower speeds. I don't have many PWM fans I'd recommend so if you prefer those hopefully some other members can come in and suggest some.

The best 120mm fan out there is the Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP15,but it's pricey and always out of stock due to high demands.You can try some cheap Yate Loon as the alternative fan.
For the 140mm i'd recommend the Thermalright X-silent or Prolimatech Blue Vortex.

Since you're going to want strong air pressure and high airflow on your CPU cooler, the two 120MM fans I'd recommend would be the 1850RPM Scythe GentleTyphoon if you can find them. Or, if your CPU cooler can support larger fans with 120MM holes, which I believe the Hyper 212 can do, I'd recommend the Thermalright TYR-140 fans. As for the 140MM fans replacing your 200MM fans I'd put the Thermalright X-Silent fans up to bat. These Thermalright fans have phenomenal price/performance ratios, run extremely silent and almost outclass any other $20+ fans. As for the GTs, I'd highly recommend a fan controller for the them because at full speed they can be a bit loud, but still much quieter than many other 120MM fans that run at lower speeds. I don't have many PWM fans I'd recommend so if you prefer those hopefully some other members can come in and suggest some.

Thanks. Picked up 2 of the Thermalright TYR-140's and 2 of the X-Silents. Now, given that I only have 3 3-pin connectors and 3 4-pin connectors, is there any way to convert from 3-pin to 4-pin and vice versa? Or have the fan plug into than the mobo?

Last edited:
Thanks. Picked up 2 of the Thermalright TYR-140's and 2 of the X-Silents. Now, given that I only have 3 3-pin connectors and 3 4-pin connectors, is there any way to convert from 3-pin to 4-pin and vice versa? Or have the fan plug into than the mobo?

3-pin fans can fit in 4-pin connectors just fine and vice versa. The only reason 4-pin connectors exist are for PWN fans which use that fourth channel to transmit PWN signals, so you should be totally fine. Congratulations on your purchase though, you made an excellent choice! Just remember, those TYR-140 fans are in actuality nearly 140MM in diameter, but have 120MM fan mounting holes. Be sure there is ample room around your CPU cooler to support it.

Damn, I wish this thread was posted yesterday. I bought two 140mm Yate Loons that supposedly output 130 cfm but at 40+ decibels. They were only 8 bucks each with shipping but I would rather pay a little extra for the Thermalrights for better noise control.

Keep the stock 200mm fans. Noiseblockers are considered the best 140 fans, but are pricey. Gentle Typhoons are considered the best 120 fans.

Yup...AP-15 to be exact for the GTs. Noiseblockers have GREAT 140mm fans.They also have fans comparable to the AP-15s.

Back