Corsair: 650D

Hey Joe, and anyone owning a Noctua Cooler. Remember I told you I got that email from Noctua saying that the new LGA2011 socket would be too large for just an adapter and Noctua was going to design a new cooler for the new socket? Well it seems this information was both right and wrong. They are producing a new cooler this year to replace the NH-D14, and also are going to send out LGA2011 socket adapter kits FREE to anyone who already owns a Noctua cooler.
Here are the links:

http://www.techpowerup.com/146788/Noctua-Designs-LGA2011-Mounting-Kit-Free-Upgrade.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/146791/N...er-Triple-Fin-Stack-CPU-Cooler-Prototype.html

I am still gonna get the free adapter and use my NH-D14 in a secondary rig, but the H100 already has my dollars!;)

LGA 2011 has exactly the same hole pattern as LGA 1366, but it has a built-in backplate and new screw threads.

The H100/H80 come with LGA 2011 bracket compatibility out of the gate. Basically it's a new standoff with a new thread on one end used for 2011 only. So you won't need to use our backplate if you buy LGA 2011.

George,

Just wondering, how can I place an order for the linear fan controller for the 650D?
The first one I received is exhibiting the issues I was worried about from this post.

The switch is now pretty loose and has a fair amount of play now. It is also a little tougher now to slide the switch up and down the speeds.

LGA 2011 has exactly the same hole pattern as LGA 1366, but it has a built-in backplate and new screw threads.

The H100/H80 come with LGA 2011 bracket compatibility out of the gate. Basically it's a new standoff with a new thread on one end used for 2011 only. So you won't need to use our backplate if you buy LGA 2011.

Great to hear. Will you provide an LGA 2011 adapter for current H50/H60 owners? I have both and as much as I like the H100 (looks sweet), I'd rather not "have" to purchase it.

Mr. Redbeard, you have seen the new 2011 socket up close and personal, don’t you think it’s going to look amazing the X79 boards with and H100 centered in the middle of Corsair Quad-Channel memory modules on “Either Side”, outrageous right?

Also really wanted to ask you, if you were to choose any of the 1800Mhz or 2000Mhz Corsair modules for your personal rig, which would you choose, Vengeance, Dominator or Dominator GT?

Last edited:
George,

Just wondering, how can I place an order for the linear fan controller for the 650D?
The first one I received is exhibiting the issues I was worried about from this post.

The switch is now pretty loose and has a fair amount of play now. It is also a little tougher now to slide the switch up and down the speeds.

I have no idea when they are going to start sending them out again, I've still not received mine, or had any email contact back from Kelvin.

I find it surprising they are able to run out of something that they are constantly making and putting into 'fixed' cases.

I will look and see if I have my extra linear controller that I got when I needed to order a second because I did not receive enough grommets. If I didn't toss it, I'll let you guys know and if somebody needs it I'll mail it.

Bruce, the Noctua stuff looks interesting. I don't have the NH-D14 so the adapter doesn't do me much good, but the prototype is definitely intriguing. That being said, I won't be changing from my Silver Arrow until something really, really impresses me. Might be waiting for Ivy Bridge as well, so we'll see what is compatible with what at that point.

joe, thanks for the offer, but unless I'm misreading you, you're referring to the fix kit as the linear controller did not include any grommets.
If that's the case, that won't do us any good, but again, thanks for the offer.

I can live with this until Corsair has more product available, I just hope it doesn't break before then, but I'll cross my fingers.

oh this is cool, the h100 will be socket 2011 compatibility, like!

The H100 should look outrageous with memory modules on either side of it, so far the early X79 boards are just showing 2DIMMs either side, but I am pretty sure some of the ultra-high performance boards like the Rampage IV Extreme will have 4DIMMs each side of the socket. And Corsair is making single 4GB memory modules now so that should be plenty of RAM!;)

Mr. Redbeard is there a way we can purchase a replacement "window insert" for the 650D? Mine is fine, I would just feel better having an extra one around, just in case. Thanks!
Also would like to purchase some Corsair long grommets, any way I can order say 30 of those? Do I just email customer service or is the part not numbered yet?

Last edited:
damn
8 x 4 = 32GB ! Rendering will like that, definitely saving up for a 6 core monsters haha, my case arrives tomorrow! damn if the h100 takes too long i might get a D-14 ....:(

damn
8 x 4 = 32GB ! Rendering will like that, definitely saving up for a 6 core monsters haha, my case arrives tomorrow! damn if the h100 takes too long i might get a D-14 ....:(

So far three Sandy E LGA2011 CPUs have been announced two 6cores and a quad.
Here’s the link:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4291/additional-details-on-sandy-bridgee-processors-x79-and-lga2011

I am guessing the pricing is going to be about $1000, $600, and $380. I am just gonna pick up the quad-core it is more than enough power for what I do, but yeah that 6-core in the middle of the chart looks sweet!;)

damn....hmmm intel retail....please! i remember when they first had the 920 for cheap--THAT was the BIG DEAL in 2009 lol, still rocking it!

damn....hmmm intel retail....please! i remember when they first had the 920 for cheap--THAT was the BIG DEAL in 2009 lol, still rocking it!

You were smart getting into the X58 platform early and sticking with it, has to be the most cost efficient way to enjoy this stuff. I think this upcoming quad is going to be the Intel 920 of 2011. I just want to get the quad to get into the platform like you did early, and as easy as possible and then just drop in an Ivy Bridge CPU with the 22nm die shrink a few months later, and hold on to the same mobo. I might be wrong, but I think this new LGA2011 Quad-Core is the first from Intel rated at 3.6Ghz, and with turbo boost up to 3.9Ghz! Yup that will do it for me!;)

yep that upgrade was my favorite--i mean who could deny a $120 i7 920 in 2009? anyways i hope the deal is also good this year--if the retail edge does 6 cores, ill get that otherwise ill get the quad (hopefully its 2011)

Wow, you got your i7 920 for $120? I think last time I checked they were still $270ish...

Damn, a CPU with a lower draw and stock speed of what I'm currently overclocked at.

Is there any reason not to upgrade my i7-860?

I gotta do some more research and figure out the big differences between X79 stuff and Ivy Bridge.

UPS just dropped off my case and damn its a beauty. Now i just need an H100 and I can put together the system. Thought about using my TRUE120 but I think i'm just going to leave it on my current box.

Damn, a CPU with a lower draw and stock speed of what I'm currently overclocked at.

I gotta do some more research and figure out the big differences between X79 stuff and Ivy Bridge.

This isn't a rfealistic comparing....
Its like comparing todays v-6 motors to the ones made 30yrs ago... Today we get 250hp easily.... Then you'd hope for 150hp...

The 2600k blows almost all tests away in comparison to the 980x. Only multithreaded apps past 4 threads start to lose on the 2600k. Sucks a $300 cpu spanks a $1100 one, but the tech switch is immense

No reason that I can think of Joe!;) What socket does the i7-860 use? But I can't feel too bad for ya Joe, I am using an Intel E8500 Core2 Duo LGA775 from the dark ages dude!

The LGA2011 socket is for Sandy Bridge-Enthusiast and Ivy Bridge-Enthusiast CPUs, so you can pick up an X79 chipset board in Aug or Sept or Oct this year and a Sandy-E CPU. Then when Ivy Bridge-E, comes out whenever???, you can just drop the new Ivy-E right into the same mobo, same LGA-2011 socket.

Ivy Bridge mainstream CPUs, very different, they will be out much sooner than Ivy-Enthusiast CPUs, pretty sure they are going to use the same 1155 socket as Sandy mainstream, but with Intel, who knows?

Penryn 45nm
Nehalem 45nm
Westmere 32nm
Sandy Bridge 32nm
Ivy Bridge 22nm
Haswell 22nm
Broadwell 16nm
Sky Lake 16nm
Skymont 11nm

Last edited:
Dude, what's going on with Corsair's support? I've got a pickle for an H60 (bad pump) that has a pending RMA request (tech support has not gotten back to me in over two days, when they promise a 24 hour response time...sorry, but my PC needs to be running), the fan controller on my CC650DW is buzzing and they did not provide an ETA for the fixed fan controller that they promise they'll ship to me, and they have been unresponsive to my emails for a week now.

Techs all tied up with the Corsair Force 3 recall or something?

Bottom line, anyone know what's going on or experienced similar issues? I'll just order another H60 and 650D (CC650DW-1) and will return the old parts if Corsair keeps dragging like this.

Dude, what's going on with Corsair's support? I've got a pickle for an H60 (bad pump) that has a pending RMA request (tech support has not gotten back to me in over two days, when they promise a 24 hour response time...sorry, but my PC needs to be running), the fan controller on my CC650DW is buzzing and they did not provide an ETA for the fixed fan controller that they promise they'll ship to me, and they have been unresponsive to my emails for a week now.

Bottom line, anyone know what's going on or experienced similar issues? I'll just order another H60 and 650D (CC650DW-1) and will return the old parts if Corsair keeps dragging like this.

Makes me think twice about that H100, a Force 3 Recall?, shit I can't even get a handful of grommets in exchange for real money!

If you ever have a support issue you're not getting handled satisfactorily, PM me here or email [email protected] and I'll get it handled for you. We've got a lot of people working very hard in CSG, but sometimes an email slips through the cracks. Nobody's perfect.

selling two stock 200mm fans from the 650D if anyone is interested- pm me.

I opened my case today and found this should I exchange the case or just take a sharpie to it

P1000119.JPG

P1000120.JPG

Last edited:
i cannot wait for my 650d to come in tomorrow. wanted the corsair ssd, hopefully the issue will be resolved soon.
love the CS !
hx520---will upgrade when socket 2011 comes out
650d--tmr!
h50--time to mod!

hey, you need to resize your pic...its HUGE, bigger than my monitor!

andrew,

The one I just received had 1 spot like that in a similar location. I decided to keep it and did in fact use a sharpie. Did not want to bother with possibly getting another one and the replacement being worse. It was only 1 spot just like yours.

Please don't return the case just for that. Not worth the carbon emissions.

And yeah, I have two Corsair 200mm fans if anyone wants to buy or trade something for them. Right now they're just taking up space.

Bruce,

The i7-860 is on the 1156 socket. Not sure what the guy talking about car motors was meaning.

I opened my case today and found this should I exchange the case or just take a sharpie to it

P1000119.JPG

P1000120.JPG

So after I find the above and decide that a sharpie will fix the problem and after I build my rig and do all of the cable management I find out that my far left (looking at the front of the case) USB 3.0 port/cable does not work.

Redbeard what do you suggest that I do? Can I just have a front panel sent to me?

If you ever have a support issue you're not getting handled satisfactorily, PM me here or email [email protected] and I'll get it handled for you. We've got a lot of people working very hard in CSG, but sometimes an email slips through the cracks. Nobody's perfect.

Yeah I know. It's just that I don't like it when I'm the one in the crack :). It looks like I've got one issue (now) heading towards resolution but pending on available stock, but the other is still stuck.

I'll give you a buzz if my 2nd issue doesn't make much progress by the end of the week. I might be able to just exchange the faulty part, which is a bit quicker for me.

Hey Redbeard, I'm pretty sure it should but I just want to verify: will an H100 fit into a 650D? I know I will get the H100 cooler, but as for the case, it's between the 650D and one of the two new ones you guys debuted.

Back