Corsair: 650D

Well just went to MC in Cbus, OH. They had one in stock so I picked it up. Will post some pics once I get home.

The box is heavy... Kinda disappointed that for $199 you only get 2 fans... Also, I am not sure if I like that side window design.

Closed GPU cooling. Oh man I would be all over that. Would be really weird for dual gpu + CPU to fit 3 - 120mm rads lol.

Closed GPU cooling. Oh man I would be all over that. Would be really weird for dual gpu + CPU to fit 3 - 120mm rads lol.

Tubing would get excessive. If they could figure out some sort of basic block vs. complete block to where the basic block included the block plus some sort of bridge-type connection with a failsafe valve to connect to the next card. Then, you'd only need one block to actually have the tubing to rad, which would also be selectable. Basically, modular tubing with leak-safe connections. Now that I'm typing it, it sounds too complicated.

So it's an unannounced product? :p

BTW, that must be a big table. Your cases are pretty big.

All products we haven't announced are unannounced. Our Cold Fusion-powered RGB OLED fans and Magneto-hydrodynamic "Red October" series H75 beverage chiller are unannounced products as well. :D

Well just went to MC in Cbus, OH. They had one in stock so I picked it up. Will post some pics once I get home.

The box is heavy... Kinda disappointed that for $199 you only get 2 fans... Also, I am not sure if I like that side window design.

Three fans. Two 200mm (top and front) and a 120mm rear exhaust.

All products we haven't announced are unannounced. Our Cold Fusion-powered RGB OLED fans and Magneto-hydrodynamic "Red October" series H75 beverage chiller are unannounced products as well. :D

Three fans. Two 200mm (top and front) and a 120mm rear exhaust.

I stand corrected. There are three fans. The case overall is nice. But, Holy Batman there are a ton of cables on the front.... Looks like we are going to have to take the USB3 and fw connectors out. I never use them, so waste of space for cables (nice it is there though).

Just got this from Amazon - I placed my order the day it went live on the site:

Corsair CC650DW Obsidian 650D Aluminum Mid Tower ATX Enthusiast Computer Case - Black
Estimated arrival date: April 18 2011 - May 03 2011

So ater spending a few hours with the case I must say that I am a bit disappointed with the Corsair QC. The front panel has some tiny visible flaws. While yes they are tiny, I still think that they should not be there at this price point. Lian li would never let that ship and that is the bar Corsair is being judged to.

Will try to post some pics later.

Anybody know if a 620HX psu has long enough cables for this case? I have one of the earlier models that only came with 6 pin pci-e connectors. Will the 8 pin cpu connector be long enough to go through the back and up the motherboard?

Anybody know if a 620HX psu has long enough cables for this case? I have one of the earlier models that only came with 6 pin pci-e connectors. Will the 8 pin cpu connector be long enough to go through the back and up the motherboard?

Check this picture I posted.

ip9nxy.jpg

I'm using a Gigabyte P55A UD-4P motherboard, and I had to use an extension cable for the CPU connector in the very top left. The GPUs connect mine, as does the main motherboard power connector.

So ater spending a few hours with the case I must say that I am a bit disappointed with the Corsair QC. The front panel has some tiny visible flaws. While yes they are tiny, I still think that they should not be there at this price point. Lian li would never let that ship and that is the bar Corsair is being judged to.

Will try to post some pics later.

Please do. I can't fix anything I can't see.

Check this picture I posted.

http://i55.tinypic.com/ip9nxy.jpg[img]

I'm using a Gigabyte P55A UD-4P motherboard, and I had to use an extension cable for the CPU connector in the very top left. The GPUs connect mine, as does the main motherboard power connector.[/QUOTE]

Yeah thanks, seems that way. I actually pulled the trigger on the 650d. Canadacomputers were selling it for 160 so I just went for it. I had to route the cpu connector directly over the gpu to get it in. Will probably get an extension down the line.

Last edited:
Here are my pics.
http://img269.imageshack.us/g/img0517vd.jpg/

I like the case overall. I still need to migrate my rig into it and sleeve my 850HX.

The little imperfections I mentioned. They look like tiny scratches. I put a red box around it as it is a bit difficult to see in my 1337 pictures.

Again you can see on the lip, the discoloration is stripped paint/bare metal.

Here is a shot of the corner. Some weird discoloration.

Overall the case is pretty nice. I am not sure if I am going to keep it. If MicroCenter had a Lian Li v1020B in stock I would probably go with that. Redbeard please pass on the message that if you are going to charge $200 per case, your QC has to be flawless. Also, you need to improve your aluminum manufacturing process.

PS.
Major props for the removable front filter.

If we're going to talk about QC issues with this case.

I've got a couple, on the inside, where one of the motherboard standoffs is, mine has a slew of scratches. Looks like whoever was screwing the standoff in had some jittery hands. Since it's under the motherboard, then I don't see it, but it was disappointing considering the cost of the case.

Also at the top of the case, where the hot swap bay door meets the case when it's closed, there's a nick in there, down to the steel, so it's not black, but the plain steel colour. It's the size of a pen mark or two, so it's minute.

I wish Corsair would provide some sort of touch up paint, these are minor issues, but still annoying considering the cost of the case.

Redbeard, could you maybe find out from the product manager if there is some sort of car paint (or any other easily purchased) paint that may match the 650D's finish?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I am the product manager for cases, Eluder79, so I'll get with engineering and see if there is anything. I doubt it, though, because the stuff easily found in stores is usually not the same as our factories use. That being said, a little bit of experimenting would get you close, as long as it wasn't external or something.

Thanks for the heads up on the manufacturing issues. I'm going to pass this on to our QC group - the 800D and 650D are manufactured in different factories, so I'm guessing we just need to make the 650D factory aware of our quality standards.

I've got about 20-30 units at our headquarters that I've gone through, various pre-production samples and tooling samples, and I haven't seen any damages like you guys are seeing, but I'll go back and double check.

Sunday April 3, sure hope the 650D fan kit arrives in the mail this week, so I can finally tuck in all the cabling and put on the right side panel. Want to see if the stock Corsair fans will work again they seem to push so much air on high, then move on to Corsair Link and some white led lighting!
Some cool info I found on the web today:
Penryn 45nm
Nehalem
Westmere 32nm
Sandy Bridge
Ivy Bridge 22nm
Haswell
Broadwell 16nm
Sky Lake
Skymont 11nm
All Good Things! ;)

Here are some pics of the modification I've done since my last post.

I've replaced the stock paste of the H70 with some Arctic Silver 5 and moved the radiator on top of the case as an outtake. Result; 10c drop :eek:

I've also replace the stock H70 fan with a Xigmatek 120mm silent fan runing at 1600rpm (20dba).

l1050704.jpg

l1050707.jpg

Sunday April 3, sure hope the 650D fan kit arrives in the mail this week, so I can finally tuck in all the cabling and put on the right side panel. Want to see if the stock Corsair fans will work again they seem to push so much air on high, then move on to Corsair Link and some white led lighting!

My order for the fan kits was placed on March 22 and still shows as processing. I'm not expecting it this week...

I am the product manager for cases, Eluder79, so I'll get with engineering and see if there is anything. I doubt it, though, because the stuff easily found in stores is usually not the same as our factories use. That being said, a little bit of experimenting would get you close, as long as it wasn't external or something.

Thanks for the heads up on the manufacturing issues. I'm going to pass this on to our QC group - the 800D and 650D are manufactured in different factories, so I'm guessing we just need to make the 650D factory aware of our quality standards.

I've got about 20-30 units at our headquarters that I've gone through, various pre-production samples and tooling samples, and I haven't seen any damages like you guys are seeing, but I'll go back and double check.

A couple of more minor issues to add, the side panels aren't very solid, the flop a fair bit, and to add, they don't sit completely flush towards the back. I suppose this is due to the mechanism used to open/close the door panels instead of screws at the back, minor, but still a slight nuisance.

I'll be honest, I may have returned the case, but since I already went through two other cases from another manufacturer for this build, I decided to just stick with the 650D and live with the minor annoyances. Still waiting on the fan fix kit and a few other RMA components (window, 200mm fan and drive caddy), and once I have those, the case should be in pretty top shape I suppose.

The only issue I have regarding the side panel is that the panel for the side which covers the cable routing could have been slightly deeper. Instead it has a bit of a bulge. Not sure how much vibration or noise transfer this allows compared to something that would have been more snug and perhaps with some sort of rubber lining. A minor issue, I suppose. Still have to try to make my cabling absolutely perfect, but I am hesitant to do so until I get the fan fix kit.

Hey Joe, and everybody, one way to get rid of the cable bulge is to route the 24pin thru the more forward grommet hole instead of the one right next to the mobo. My 24pin just didn't want to make that tight of a turn off the AX850, I could have forced it but it lays down more flat and is more relaxed using the front grommet!;)

Maybe all us early adopters can send in our Newegg invoices, smile really really big and get some extra special red carpet susie cream cheese support from Mr. Redbeard, and Corsair. Maybe they will feel our collective pain!;)

I am unsure if this is in any relation to the 650D, but this whining noise (I think I mentioned in in another post or two) is driving me insane. It is like The Tell Tale Heart.

Is it possible that my motherboard is making some kind of noise? Some sort of feedback of something? I swear the hard drives and every fan is not the cause. Has anyone used any sound dampening material with the 650D yet?

I don't even know if I could use any on the side with the cabling. And then there's the side with the window....ugh.

I'm just gonna get drunk.

I price matched mine from direct for $158 3 weeks ago.

I must be an oddity, as my back panel doesn't buldge, both panels sit flush.... but my Temps went up 10C over my Antec 900.

Love the case, but hate my cooling.

nice clean setup you got there. where did you get the white corsair fan?

Joe Cubed! Don’t get drunk, I tried that, an entire case of Fosters oil cans, doesn’t work dude!;) Just unwind a little with your gf! Yuk yuk. All cases resonate vibration via metal/metal contact, it’s most likely your HDDs. Just isolate them using some packing foam on the floor of your 650D. Or mount them in the Corsair brackets using elastic suspension bands, better yet Go External, just SSDs inside. I am sure the whining will go away, if not it’s your fans, stop/start each and every one find out where it’s coming from, I used Noctua male grommets and the Corsair circle grommets works fine, no whine, no buzz, had to treat my rear fan a little different attached the two top screws to the fan and left the bottom two loose and used sorbothane squares stuck to the stock Corsair fan itself. Dude my 650D is pure quiescence baby; the office mini-fridge 20ft away makes more noise. I have a feeling Redbeard is getting sick of our whining!;)

Current ultra-quiet fan set-up

Front Intake: Clear megaflow 200mm with black Noctua 9v feed attached with Noctua male grommets

Top Exhaust: Black megaflow 200mm with blue Noctua 7v feed attached same

Rear as Intake: Corsair stock 120mm with blue Noctua 7v feed attached with Corsair screws and Sorbothane pads

This set-up produces 10dB or less, comparing each and the sum to the auditory output of a Noctua 140mm reference fan producing 10.6dB attenuated!

Man do I love this chassis!!! ;) My 650D says to me every day when I sit down to my desk, what can I help you create today?, and it looks amazing doing it! It’s gorgeous, almost as awesome as my gf's size F yammos lying on her long narrow torso, now that’s damn good!;)

Last edited:
Maybe all us early adopters can send in our Newegg invoices, smile really really big and get some extra special red carpet susie cream cheese support from Mr. Redbeard, and Corsair. Maybe they will feel our collective pain!;)

Somehow, I doubt that will happen.

Joe Cubed! Don’t get drunk, I tried that, an entire case of Fosters oil cans, doesn’t work dude!;) Just unwind a little with your gf! Yuk yuk. All cases resonate vibration via metal/metal contact, it’s most likely your HDDs. Just isolate them using some packing foam on the floor of your 650D. Or mount them in the Corsair brackets using elastic suspension bands, better yet Go External, just SSDs inside. I am sure the whining will go away, if not it’s your fans, stop/start each and every one find out where it’s coming from, I used Noctua male grommets and the Corsair circle grommets works fine, no whine, no buzz, had to treat my rear fan a little different attached the two top screws to the fan and left the bottom two loose and used sorbothane squares stuck to the stock Corsair fan itself. Dude my 650D is pure quiescence baby; the office mini-fridge 20ft away makes more noise. I have a feeling Redbeard is getting sick of our whining!;)

Current ultra-quiet fan set-up

Front Intake: Clear megaflow 200mm with black Noctua 9v feed attached with Noctua male grommets

Rear as Intake: Corsair stock 120mm with blue Noctua 7v feed attached with Corsair screws and Sorbothane pads

This set-up produces 10dB or less, comparing it to the auditory output of a Noctua 140mm reference fan producing 10.6dB attenuated!

Man do I love this chassis!!! ;) My 650D says to me every day when I sit down to my desk, what can I help you create today?, and it looks amazing doing it! It’s gorgeous, almost as awesome as my gf's size F yammos lying on her long narrow torso, now that’s damn good!;)

Hahaha great post. Yeah, I know there are things I can do to further refine it, and I will. I am probably going to do the HDD cage in the optical bay and have the entire cage soundproofed, plus the entire case itself. Not having the fan kit is holding me back though. If I got it and i wasn't pleased with it, I might purchase some replacement fans, Thermalright or Noctua maybe.

Sounds like your gf has a pretty nice rig as well...

Are theses fans highr cfm than the stock ones?

Anyone know the cfm of the stock? I think Redbeard said 700~1000rpm, but anyone know for sure?

Well just booted the case up no sides and wires hanging out all over. (waiting on my second set of sleeving). The fans are nice and quiet. The loudest thing i can hear in there is my GT AP-15.

I am unsure if this is in any relation to the 650D, but this whining noise (I think I mentioned in in another post or two) is driving me insane. It is like The Tell Tale Heart.

Is it possible that my motherboard is making some kind of noise? Some sort of feedback of something? I swear the hard drives and every fan is not the cause. Has anyone used any sound dampening material with the 650D yet?

I don't even know if I could use any on the side with the cabling. And then there's the side with the window....ugh.

I'm just gonna get drunk.

Are you sure it isn't the fan buzzing issue mentioned earlier in this thread?

http://www.corsair.com/obsidian-series-650d-fan-adapter-kit.html

Wow tried out the fan controller and wow we got a buzzer........ :(

Fan controller should fix kit should be on the way.

Back