Cornell is folding -- please help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I go to school at Cornell, which is now experimenting with their own folding software. The school is holding a contest open to all current undergrads, it runs from now until sometime in April. I am currently in 4th place (one place under a prize :eek:).

The software does the same type of thing as F@H, crunching numbers for protein comparison. The software isn't as refined as F@H yet, but it's not bad (biggest annoyance is that it runs in the toolbar instead of the system tray).

Read about it here: www.tc.cornell.edu/biocontest

Anyway, is anyone here willing to download the program and fold under my name for a while? It could really help me get ahead and have a chance at winning a prize. Any money I win will be used to purchase myself a laptop to use for school, and of course run F@H 24/7 once the Cornell program is over.

If you're willing, you can get the program at http://webserver.tc.cornell.edu/biocontest/CTC_Contest.MSI , and the email to enter when you install it is brh27 AT cornell PERIOD edu. Every little bit helps, even if you only run it for a week, a day, or even an hour. I'm competing against someone who works for the IT desk and has access to many more computers than I do, I don't see this as much different.

If you do this, it pretty much has to be under my name unless you're a Cornell undergrad, as they are the only ones who are eligable to win.

Thanks for the consideration everyone, and thanks for any help you'd be willing to give. :) :cool:

edit: as several people have already pointed out in the progress of this thread, this doesn't have to be in place of f@h as I originally thought. it seems the cornell server is not fast enough for everyone accessing it, so for every 3seconds of actual processor activity, there is a lag for more numbers to crunch. it won't hurt your folding stats much at all I don't think...but the more computers I have the better my chances of winning. thanks to everyone that is helping already and to those who start! :)

marty9876

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - February 2006
How many GZH do you have going right now. OR more importantly how much does the first place guy have going?

When does the contest end?

$500.00 bucks for first place... hummmmm... and how much of this goes to buying boxen for the [H]? hehhe

EDIT contest goes form 2-15 to 4-11

wake6830

Gawd
I think whether or not you will get anyone here to jump from folding, even on a temporary basis, is whether or not it will really help you win. if you are in 4th, only behind the lab admins who have a couple dozen or hundred borgs, i'm sorry to say that your chances of winning are slim! But if you are only a little ways behind, maybe some of the [H]orde could help you totally blow by them!

marty9876

Rank Job Total Email Delta
1 35829 ell28 AT cornell.edu[/
2 24468 dcc34 AT cornell.edu[/
3 21620 ]cc323 AT cornell.edu[/
4 21275 brh27 AT cornell.edu[/
5 14844 [mts37 AT cornell.edu[/
6 11624 ]yz84 AT cornell.edu[/e--
7 7058 ]hl336 AT cornell.edu[/
8 6375 [eil]rv47 AT cornell.edu[/
9 4392 [eil]sps27 AT cornell.edu[/
10 4037 ]jlb264 AT cornell.edu[/

He is about 1/3 behind. I'm too lazy to do the math, the program did just start. This is why I need to know what GZH he's doing to figure the GZH/point ratio.

edit: I cut up the emails somewhat which is why it's a mess now

Each point usually takes 3-10 seconds on my 2.5ghz p4, though some take as few as 2 seconds, and a few go to the teens. It seems the guy who is ahead of me only has a few more computers than I do, using ~15 p4 2.8's in the comp lab for an hour yielded me about 5k points IIRC. He's got about a day ahead of me, because they just released the program that would keep connecting for new jobs this morning and I didn't grab it until 7pm-ish.

Unfortunately each borg I try in the comp lab can only last an hour because that's how often they restart when idle. :(

I think I'd have a fighting chance even without help, but the horde could definitely help me blow by this guy.

marty9876

"The challenge starts February 15 and ends April 11 or when all of the protein structure comparisons have been completed"

The last part is important. We jack hammer this whole program and do enough of the work units to the point their is not enough left for anyone else to win.

So, that's 500 bucks towards a community farm right?

MN Scout

Supreme [H]ardness
I won't worry about the logistics of how many points or how many ghz he needs to break into 3rd rank; I'll just install one instance on my computer, and see how it goes. Since it's for science, I'll try it. Workingnostop, what major are you going for at Cornell?

-MN Scout

marty9876

I've got it installed. Wholly crap is it wierd....stupid wierd....

Takes about 2-3 seconds on my boxen to do a WU, 15 seconds to grab a new one and so on.

Man, running 20-40 boxen on this would suck the bandwidth right out of me. In a good way thou.

Acutally it might not slow down a F@H boxen too much since the stupid thing spend most of it's time transfering data over the net.

rogue_jedi

Supreme [H]ardness
will it work through squid? i might be able to help you out (~3.3ghz of AMD powa) until stanford fixes their stuff wrt squid if it will.

edit: well, i'm not doing it. .NET my ass:rolleyes: sorry.

MN Scout

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok one thing I see right away is that it completes a protein in like 1-2 seconds and then has to do another download.

Ok Marty so beat me to the reply. I agree with everything he said.

-MN Scout

marty9876

My stupid Anti virus peaks every down load, scanning the file I guess.

So you win what do we get? Yes, I'd be the evil folder. I wanna get some farm action going.

MN Scout

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a pretty nice curvy network utilization graph from this program.

-MN Scout

marty9876

MN Scout said:
I have a pretty nice curvy network utilization graph from this program.

-MN Scout

yea, image having 30 of these behine one pipe to the net

Killer[MoB]

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2008
marty9876 said:
Acutally it might not slow down a F@H boxen too much since the stupid thing spend most of it's time transfering data over the net.

Exactly what I was thinking as I read your post.

marty9876

What does the total jobs mean?

Crap, left my notebook at the shop, can't vpn into the farm... will work on punching into my own network. I can only get 6.66 gzh going tonight.

Scary number...

All my farm has the .net installed...

MN Scout

Supreme [H]ardness
The total number is the number that he has submited. It's going up really fast but it's right around what was in the graph of placements. Oh I'll get another 6.4 ghz for you this weekend.

-MN Scout

Killer[MoB]

Ok, this is actually kind of fun. The total jobs is going up really fast. 23115 right now. That's already got him into 3rd place. It running on my barton @ 2.4 and takes about a second to do a WU. It is using about 50 megs of ram. 23177 now. :eek: :cool:

marty9876

Killer[MoB] said:
Ok, this is actually kind of fun. The total jobs is going up really fast. 23115 right now. That's already got him into 3rd place. It running on my barton @ 2.4 and takes about a second to do a WU. It is using about 50 megs of ram. 23177 now. :eek: :cool:

dude, he is in 4th still on my screen...so who put in the wrong name here?

Killer[MoB]

marty9876 said:
dude, he is in 4th still on my screen...so who put in the wrong name here?
Sorry, I was going by the total jobs listed on the bottom of the program vs the list you posted. We'll have him in 3rd on the website soon. ;)

Absentee

[H]F Junkie
total jobs: 23336

ill let it run for a little while.......i dont normally fold but hey.......lil something to stress my system for a while

wow....each set barely gets my system to 95%..sometimes 99%...but it hasnt gone to 100 yet.... :confused:

marty9876

I'm getting a really wierd error on two boxen. Bunch on .net errors, the program runs but no graphics, just a big red X.

On two boxen, ohh well, it seems to be running on them.

marty9876

Also it's really junky programming or something, messes up my windows...ah windows

Dragging them around and stuff getting stuck in other windows

marty9876

That other guy has some major boxen going. I think he was at 32k an hour ago, not at 40k. This guy has only went up 1k since we all started.

we are all using the right name right? or am I that is...

brh guy

Hito Bahadur

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2006
MN Scout said:
You need Direct X 9 and .net to run the program.

really? maybe that was why it was running and after about 15 units froze up for a while

:p

Hito Bahadur

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2006
marty9876 said:
That other guy has some major boxen going. I think he was at 32k an hour ago, not at 40k. This guy has only went up 1k since we all started.

brh guy

He probably has a lab running.

yay! :D thank you guys for helping me out! I don't know if I would be able to actually buy a farm (parents would likely not approve and would kill me)...but I will invest the money into something that will fold for 33. The program does need work, or at least faster servers so that it's not idle all the time...but they've already updated it once and the contest has only been going 2 days (the first version was plagued with disconnects and timeouts from waiting, now it'll run forever by itself).

For whoever asked, I'm currently an ECE major, but I'm switching over to AEM (basically business) in the fall. I decided that engineering is not for me, and I'd rather just keep computers a hobby. :eek:

Killer[MoB]

marty9876 said:

brh guy
I thought taking 3rd was going to be a snap since it was only a few hundred points when we started. Now it is 1500 points.

brh27 is the correct one!!
Make sure you get the right one.

Hito Bahadur said:
He probably has a lab running.
I think he runs the main IT lab, because he is a Team Manager or something there...I looked him up on the Cornell website.

I'm going to borg a lab for an hour or 2 and get some work done...maybe that'll help me catch up faster. :)

marty9876

Evil thought: Funds to the farm or I fold for the #1 guy.... I'm mostly kidding.

I forgot .net 1.1 upgrade on the two boxen, updating to see if it helps out.

Maybe that guys is just in the lab now and not running it 24/7 like we all could.

KodiakStar

/'s by 0
got my ChemWar rig Runnin it, should help some. this thing likes wu's
\
Run In Seconds: 2

MN Scout

Supreme [H]ardness
I think this program is soley dependent on the number of computers you have, since it doesn't actually use any real cycles. So more computers the better. I tried installing the program just for the user and then installing it for the second user and the program wouldn't let the second instance on the other account open up. This program would probably run happily on my 500mhz p2.

-MN Scout

Status
Not open for further replies.