Core i9-10990XE 22-core Processor

And this is to compete with AMDs current lowest end Threadripper 3960x. Just think about that..............

Yup -- I understood the market placement of the lower core-count products given that AMD didn't release a sub 24-core 3000-series Threadripper, but this guy is pushing it.

Are they going to make it cheaper? Will the power draw at competitive performance levels be even, well, manageable?

Assuming it could be pushed to the limit, will there be any performance niche that the 10990xe really stands out in enough to make it worth buying at all?

What we really need is a way to get the heat away from the CPU dies faster and more efficiently, as when my OC'd 1700 reaches 85C, I can comfortably keep my hand on the heatsink for a while as it only gets slightly warm. The hotter your heatsink is, the more efficiently its working and right now, having more die area for a given wattage is the only way to have more efficient heat transfer.
Thermal gradient is about the only trick left.

Materials to do what you said exist but cost as much as the cpu and I'm not sure will help as much as we hope.
I have a good relationship with the manufacturer of them having bought a decent amount of their top shelf optical stuff so might see if I can loan some for trial... ;) no promises though.

Yup -- I understood the market placement of the lower core-count products given that AMD didn't release a sub 24-core 3000-series Threadripper, but this guy is pushing it.

Are they going to make it cheaper? Will the power draw at competitive performance levels be even, well, manageable?

Assuming it could be pushed to the limit, will there be any performance niche that the 10990xe really stands out in enough to make it worth buying at all?
I don't see how Intel could possibly price these cheaper than the 3960x.
So far they are too arrogant to be willing to sacrifice their profit margins. (i9-9960X 16 core is sitting at $1600 on newegg, and gets made irrelevant by the cheaper 3960x).
Props to Intel if they do though

Maybe some machine learning niches within niches, if they enable the special sauce?
Can't see AVX doing so well with that power draw.. They're in for a tough battle, up hill both ways. In the snow.

Maybe some machine learning niches within niches, if they enable the special sauce?

Perhaps -- for gaming or some other single-thread dependent workload alongside a separate high-threaded workload, it seems like ti might 'win' some tiny niche, but it'd still be a real stretch to justify.

Can't see AVX doing so well with that power draw..

That'll come down to cooling. We can say that it will be a challenge, but if that's a workload someone needs, it might be worth it.

They're in for a tough battle, up hill both ways. In the snow.

We all know that these are stopgaps produced on 14nm during their 10nm and 7nm spinups, so it's nothing new really, and relative to Bulldozer, they seem to be doing alright.

It's obvious that they're going to have real trouble keeping up if they can't get 10nm production clocks and core-counts up soon, though.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Perhaps -- for gaming or some other single-thread dependent workload alongside a separate high-threaded workload, it seems like ti might 'win' some tiny niche, but it'd still be a real stretch to justify.
Yeah that use case especially gaming if single core high enough can see it being fine, but availability is going to be interesting.
I have heard of a few people looking for the 10980 and waiting with no luck so these will probably be vapourware. Makes sense too when they want the same die as a Xeon with 2-4x the profit margin and constrained production.

That'll come down to cooling. We can say that it will be a challenge, but if that's a workload someone needs, it might be worth it.
Bingo there will be something out there where it makes sense, especially on commercial power rates x:

We all know that these are stopgaps produced on 14nm during their 10nm and 7nm spinups, so it's nothing new really, and relative to Bulldozer, they seem to be doing alright.
Agreed. They're hanging in better than expected, 14nm has been a very flexible process in it's own right but that gravy train is at the end of the tether now, judging by the ever-creeping thermals with each respin as you put very well below.

It's obvious that they're going to have real trouble keeping up if they can't get 10nm production clocks and core-counts up soon, though.
Yield also, I'd say that's why the core counts are what they are currently.

Doubt they've gone on sale, as that would probably be news -- however, given that AMD left that 'hole' in their lineup, Intel does have something to offer; aside from product segments, Intel does offer the fastest CPUs with the most cores, if that's what's needed.

I can't say that it's needed to the point of recommending these parts outside of very specific use cases, but they're not, well, pointless.

I can't say that it's needed to the point of recommending these parts outside of very specific use cases, but they're not, well, pointless.

Honestly, I'm very mixed on this perspective despite my tongue-in-cheek response earlier.

On the one hand, switching to AMD potentially offers a 100% boost in throughput (depending on the specific workload, of course). That is a lot and it is awesome - but it also comes with an appreciable level of up-front spends for both dollars and brain cycles to learn about the new platform + swap the actual hardware. But for a brand new build with no previous baggage, I think AMD may be the clear choice for the type of build where core count actually matters.

On the other hand, the practical implication of a 22% performance boost is that the simulations which used to run M-F can now run M-Th. Or, in other words, Fridays can finally be Beer Fridays again. MFBFA seems like it's worthy of a campaign hat to me.

I actually say that only partially in jest. Running things twice as fast is always awesome - no doubt there. At the same time, a 20% performance boost still has significant practical implications for the target market. A full day every single week (without even counting weekends) is HUGE. And that's assuming the target market is coming exclusively from only 9980XE users. Anyone coming from fewer cores than that would see a similarly significant boost - and potentially with little more headache than a like-for-like CPU swap. That's pretty much as good as it gets.

For these users, this relatively small boost might actually be enough to stave off a platform swap until Intel's real updates hit and can be evaluated against AMD's offerings at the time.

this is panic lake.

intel throwing literally anything at the wall and praying to keep their tiny little margin of gaming supremacy.

at 640 x 480

and wprime

380W TDP?

JFC...just rename it Thermite Lake. I have no interest in a CPU that requires a dedicated cooling solution which costs more than most midrange to upper-range GPUs.

Lol, has the 10980xe actually gone on sale yet? Not even listed on Newegg or Amazon.

I looked at Newegg and Amazon when I was typing up my post and assumed they weren't out yet.

$1000 for 18 cores isn't too bad, but everything else about it is pretty bad lol.
There is more in this world than Amazon and Newegg. It sounds like shops are not keeping these in stock and ordering as needed, which would make sense as a low volume item.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/intel-...-speedstep-technology/6387645.p?skuId=6387645
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1507537-REG/intel_bx8069510980xe_core_i9_10980xe_3_0_ghz.html
http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?3560146_g10e
http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop...110030005033_B6YX100P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6880251&CatId=12405
https://www.compsource.com/buy/BX80...Hz-Processor--2475-MB-Cache--460-GHz-Overclo/

just imagine these processors on the 7nm node! wonder how powerful they could be

That's just silly. I can imagine a lot of things that doesn't make them any closer to being real.

just imagine these processors on the 7nm node! wonder how powerful they could be

Pretty much everything from Intel in the last couple years has been "imagine" and "what if". The 5GHz (5.5GHz?) wall stands tall until there is a new architecture from them.

Just like how if you asked them, their iterations of every process is superior to everyone else's... you just have to wait for whenever that will be lmao. Does this mentality still work on people? Stop telling us how great you are and show.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Super exciting until you see its still 14nm, will likely be 2x as expensive as a comparable AMD chip, and isn't even available yet.

I dont care what the freq or power is in as much as, can it meet or exceed the per core IPC of Threadripper? Thats my big concern.

If these can exceed threadrioper id almost sell mine to get avx 512 for h265 work though I wouldnt actually do it because I love TR regardless, at least for this gen.

But we are probably righ to assume it 1. Wont and 2. Will cost way too much.

I dont care what the freq or power is in as much as, can it meet or exceed the per core IPC of Threadripper? Thats my big concern.

If these can exceed threadrioper id almost sell mine to get avx 512 for h265 work though I wouldnt actually do it because I love TR regardless, at least for this gen.

But we are probably righ to assume it 1. Wont and 2. Will cost way too much.
Intel IPC is behind AMD for the foreseeable future.. That's why they need more gigahertz to compete across the board.

Back