Cop to some dumb stuff you've done in games

ballpoint

Gawd
The learning curve of BF3 and my continuing trouble with figuring out simple things has me feeling sort of gaming-impaired. It's also reminding me of some of the dumber stuff I've done in games over the years. Some recent examples:

1. Playing 180 hours of BFBC2 before realizing I'm equipped with grenades by default.
2. Playing through 90% of Batman: Arkham Asylum before figuring out how to block (remapped controls at start and screwed up mapping of block)

I know there are a bunch more. I'll add some later.

The learning curve of BF3 and my continuing trouble with figuring out simple things has me feeling sort of gaming-impaired. It's also reminding me of some of the dumber stuff I've done in games over the years. Some recent examples:

1. Playing 180 hours of BFBC2 before realizing I'm equipped with grenades by default.
2. Playing through 90% of Batman: Arkham Asylum before figuring out how to block (remapped controls at start and screwed up mapping of block)

I know there are a bunch more. I'll add some later.

I beat Batman AA and found all those hidden things and I just found out from reading your post that you can block in the game.

Same about grenades in COD:MW2. I'm always swapping rifles from dead NPCs when I run out of ammo then I was in control setting to make a couple modifications and I noticed weapons switch keys, so I gave it a try and lo and behold, grenade launcher, claymore mines, infared sniper rifle. I could've used that many many times!

About 200 hours into BC2 before figuring out wtf tracers did.

Also newbed my way through all of the fighting in Batman:AA until near the end when the room stuffed with guys forces you to actually know how to fight. I still don't block most of the time, I just roll around like a nutcase, fly in for a punch or two then roll out.

Ok, didn't know that I could block as Batman. Dayem! Will definitely need to try out in Arkham City.
Played about 32 hours in BF3 and realized I can spot enemies and call it a duck hunt.
Playing through almost 20-25% of NFS Underground before realizing there was a NOS button for my car also.
Playing through Red Faction Guerilla and thinking that how stupid are devs not to include iron sights in that game (it is included - got to know about it while playing Red Faction Armageddon)
Keep trying to jump over guys with two handed weapons in Prince of Persia Sands of Time knowing they will knock me down and beat the shit out of me
Still not knowing how to pull off charged attacks (e.g., Guile's sonic boom, Chun Li's upside down kick) in SSFIVAE (been playing SSF games since Sega Genesis days)

Played Oblivion for about 75 hours before I figured out that there was fast travel

Wow, shit. Didn't know about mapping stimpaks either. Only knew about mapping weapons to 1,2,3 etc.

Still don't know after 5 hours of play why "2" key cannot be mapped to a weapon in Fallout NV. Also don't know what the symbol next to "2" key means when trying to map weapons to keys.

Most of Fallout 3 before I realized I could map Stimpacks to a hot key...

Wait.. what?
Super_FUUU_Face.jpg

Couldn't figure out why my party was dying in DA:O for about 15 hours. I found out that friendly fire was on. Oops.

really old game:

Betrayal at Krondor - Kept having to restart the game every few game days because my party would get sick and drop dead randomly. This happened many times before I realized that I was supposed to inspect food rations to see if they were spoiled / poisoned.

Shiney collection quest items in EQ2 and in Rift located near the edge of any steep precipice are sure to get me repair costs or a loss of soul vitality....my horse needs new brakes.

Mistakes others in my group or guild have made...Anyone who "auto follows" me. Whenever I detect that some is auto-following me, I head for, then over, the nearest cliff or lava pool

I did not know about blocking in batman. I just counter attack XD Just beet AC too. Dayum.

About 4 hours into Skyrim before I realized I could Hotkey my Favorites to my Numbers. (Bet this will still help many of you) :D
Final fantasy 7. Didnt know you could use the tent to heal...Wondered what it was doing in there.

Well by blocking I guess I meant countering. I just think of it that way because a lot of the counters start with a block.

Wow, shit. Didn't know about mapping stimpaks either. Only knew about mapping weapons to 1,2,3 etc.

Still don't know after 5 hours of play why "2" key cannot be mapped to a weapon in Fallout NV. Also don't know what the symbol next to "2" key means when trying to map weapons to keys.

2 is to change ammo for the same weapon. Like armor piercing, surplus, and what not

I had already beaten Stalker:ShoC and was halfway into Clear Sky when I learned that there were quick-bandage and quick-medkit buttons.

When I played a Return to Castle Wolfenstein multiplayer beta long, long ago, some guy kept bugging me for ammo. I had no idea how to do it, so I pressed my left mouse button thinking that maybe it would give him some. Whoops, dead teammate. He was quite unhappy. I just decided that since I didn't know what I was doing and probably had no business doing MP, I just quit. I don't really do MP, I just do SP.

I had already beaten Stalker:ShoC and was halfway into Clear Sky when I learned that there were quick-bandage and quick-medkit buttons.

I was playing through one of the mods to the 1st one and was real far into it when I ran by a car and it said get in, and then turn on..........I drove that car aaaaaall over the place. So much better to travel that way. And you could shoot a pistol from inside lol

Regardless of what MMO the group is playing, I'm good for being the guy who is targeting something harmless and then accidentally tabbing to something nasty and aggroing it on the party.

I'm that guy. It happened the most when we were in SWG and hunting crazy-OP dark jedi on Dantooine.

I plan to continue by reign of terror in the Old Republic. My friends can't wait.

Gunboated a MW2 mech, and without thinking, took it into a server that very clearly and specifically banned that practice, then complained in chat after I got kicked. Dropped the F-bomb in a no swearing TF2 server. Got kicked in TF2 for FF. (Who the hell plays that game with FF on?)

Their server, their rules.

HoE on 6 man killing floor wave 10. Accidentaly sold the axe and the katana...and bought a chainsaw by mistake and didn't keep enough money for myself to get any usable weapons... knife vs HoE fleshpounds and scrakes is annoying especially when other people die and thats 1 hour+ of beheading wasted. That and most times I die, its from getting stuck on poles/random objects, not the more difficult things. Thats true of most games. Giant boss = easy. Not falling off bridge or remembering to buy ammo = hard. :(

lending people gold in wow. its just like lending people money in real life, you'll probably never see it again.

really old game:

Betrayal at Krondor - Kept having to restart the game every few game days because my party would get sick and drop dead randomly. This happened many times before I realized that I was supposed to inspect food rations to see if they were spoiled / poisoned.

hahaha i did the same thing, man that was a fun game for its time

Not me, but a favorite "Dumb moment": A CS match 5v5 on de_train, I believe in the playoffs or for a high spot in the ladder at the time. My whole team was dead, and the single surviving CT, with plenty of time to defuse the planted bomb, falls off the top of a train and dies. :D

Another CS match, somehow I unbound my defuse key, and as the bomb is ticking I'm frantically typing in console to rebind it.

I accidentally gave some random player an Amulet of Necropotence when they were worth 200k plat. I was trying to give someone else a tradeskill item with the same icon. Luckily, I had a box toon to eat DT and farmed another on server reset.

Final Fantasy Tactics.....Didn't realize you could add party members other than yourself.....had to hit that R1/L1 button to find them.

Passed Fallout 3............without knowing about fast travel.

Back when i used to play Eve-Online i was attacking newcomers in hi sec just for sh*ts and gigs like u do, in nothing to expensive obviously expecting to loose what i was flying... cut a long story i forgot about the cool down timer and undocked in a navy thron... needless to say local chat was in hysterics but i wasn't laughing at the time :D

Back when i used to play Eve-Online i was attacking newcomers in hi sec just for sh*ts and gigs like u do, in nothing to expensive obviously expecting to loose what i was flying... cut a long story i forgot about the cool down timer and undocked in a navy thron... needless to say local chat was in hysterics but i wasn't laughing at the time :D

Eve online stories always sound really interesting, but I have no idea what they mean. :confused:

Eve online stories always sound really interesting, but I have no idea what they mean. :confused:

Basically i was messing around in an area i shouldn't of, and i lost a piece of equipment that took months and months to get, and it hurt me bad.... luckily these days i have game addiction under control.

The original Civilization. I played the hell out of it for months and then one day I was randomly clicking on my citizens and I realized that you can change their duties to entertainer/tax collector/scientist. Would've made my games a whole lot easier to be able to fine tune it like that... instead I was always rushing extra units to keep down unrest or constantly losing money when researching.

Didn't know that you could hotkey stimpacks in Fallout3 either... and I played through New Vegas plus DLC, too. I'd just slap tab and juice myself up from the Pipboy every single time. I'll have to do it for Fallout4. :)

Anybody remember Fansy from EQ? I used to play with him on occasion. He made a lot of people feel pretty stupid... lol.

I went on one of my usual killing rampages in a city in Deus Ex: HR, then quick saved by mistake. Had to go back to a 2 hour old save. :(

I went on one of my usual killing rampages in a city in Deus Ex: HR, then quick saved by mistake. Had to go back to a 2 hour old save. :(
The periodic autosaves saved my butt after I did the exact same thing in Skyrim (getting bored and going on an intentional killing spree in town, then accidentally F5ing).

I warped into a Lvl 4, expecting there to be a gate in EVE Online. There wasn't. I walked away from my computer and came back to some delicious fragments of Tengu everywhere.

BF2, helicopter. Had the full load of about 6 people. Took off, tail rotor hit a nearby rock seconds after takeoff. 6 dead teammates. I had to disconnect from that game.

Back