cooling problems, Core i7 860

Morrisvald

n00b
Hi

I got problems with the cooling on my cpu core i7 860

Due to hight temps I replaced the stock cooler with "ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER 7 PRO REV.2 S-775/1156/1366/AM2+/AM3".

With the stock cooler the temps heated up to around 75-76 C , sometimes close to 80C. The idle temp stayed around 45-46 C, I replaced the intel stock cooler with the ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER 7 PRO REV.2, now the idle temps stays around 34-35 C and at most 66-68 C. I have the fan set to standard "smart-fan" It is an improvement by 13-14 degrees , but I thought It would be better... am I doing something wrong? Are the temps normal with the new cooler? I am not doing any OCing.

My motherboard is asus p7p55d pro , gfx card nivida 460 , the case is well cooled with two big fans and good airflow.

for the processor you have and the heatsink you bought those temps are about right.. you didnt buy a high end heatsink so dont except high end cooling out of it..

Your CPU is more than 30c from its throttle point at load. What's the problem exactly?

I have the fan set to standard "smart-fan"

Well thar's yer answer. (and the other posters comments are exactly true also)

The EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedsTep) or the bios's fans speed vs cpu socket temp sensor temp is trading off reduced fan speed and noise in favor of warmer temps. Set the fan speed control in the bios to disabled to run the fan at 100% and you temps will drop some more but you will hear the fan.

If you tell me your case I might be able to give you some tips. For example if your case has the huge top fan like an Antec 900 I have found mounting the heatsink so it fires up into that top fan and also reversing the top rear fan to blow in works well and reduces temps by several deg C due to that cool outside air directed at the side of the heatsink and the warm air being directly shot out the top of the case by the large top fan.

Many lower front fans are the primary method of getting cool air into the case and HD's and wiring blocking them and the tendency of manuf to put a medium or low speed fan there to keep the noise down is something that also should be investigated. The first thing that should go is any stamped into the case grill for the lower front fan, its covered by the computers front cover and that grill needs to be cut out to increase airflow and reduce noise.

Its an excellent mid range HS/fan and based on your reported temps seems to be working perfectly fine and keeping the CPU well below throttleing.

Asus, on some boards, has some fancy temp set points and adjustments in the bios for fan speed control. Not sure you board has them but anyway, an investigation of the fan control options available to you in the bios might discover some tweaks or settings that make you happier. And remember the more cool room air you can get to the cooler the better it will work.

When you have the heatsink off next time, check the cpu for flatness so that the need to lapp can be accessed and look at the "footprint" impression the heatsink and cpu made in the thermal compound. It should be an even uniform impression.

Hello<
And who would be willing to give ME a hint. I have just built PC based on GA-X58A M.B. and I7.
The PC turned off suddenly and it was easy to find out that the CPU runs at 98deg! And the alarm max is only 90. It has cooling fan as it came with CPU. I have the system over-clocked but only very slightly. Any stronger ( better) fan to suggest irrespectively of price of course?
I am using the plain 2 external house fans to keep the temp down but the lowest i get is 86 degrees while only idling ( watching Bios CPU temp). I am in Sydney and summer is coming up. I have no chance with it! Should i kill myself ? :)))
Could you guys, please give a hint?
Cheers
Taner

if it's idling at 86*C your heatsink is probably mounted incorrectly. Take the heatsink off and remount it - ensure your thermal paste is installed correctly.

What voltage are you running your CPU at?

Also, use a screwdriver to better apply pressure when mounting the silly pushpins on the stock cooler.

860 and 870 are notoriously hot headed chips and I have both on them!

Still, I think yours is a bit high given the chip has not been OC'ed yet.

Mine is running at 4.08GHz and memory @ 2040Mhz and is using Corsair H70 cooler. Idle is high 30's to low 40's. Full load is mid 80's.

Thank you guys so very much for the help. Followed all what was suggested> Ii opened the case and refused to believe!!! two pins were loose as per your suggestion. How is it possible? well, it obviously is.
I would die for the statement that originally all of them were latched. This time I used "crow-bar" type of screw driver to latch them back... plenty of paste.. All is fine.. runs at 55 idling ( mind it - this is in Sydney and when here is hot - it is hot).
Core voltage is 1.284. I only over clocked first stage via ET6 tool. I Built some 8 PC in my life and i just can not grub the concept of overclocking in terms of manual clocking.. I've read about it millions of times..I did the water cooling for fun as well but clocking - that is science to me. Obviously i am dummy. :)
Thank you guys once more. That is the site to learn from :)))
Taner

Back