Cooling a stock 7900X

Hostile

Gawd
I built a new system a few weeks ago, upgrading from an Intel i7 8700K to a R9 7900X. The only carry-over part from the old computer was my RTX 3070.

I haven't had an AMD processor in over 15 years, back in the Athlon/nForce4 days. This ugly-ass mobo to be exact.

I'm not overclocking and am using a Corsair H100i Elite Capellix. I'm seeing package idle temps between 50-60C. When gaming it hits up to 70-75C. According to some googling this seems to be pretty normal. Is there any real reason to be concerned? From what I've read these suckers will go up to 90C.

Some pics, nothing too fancy.

Lh67fZqh.jpg

YoQjziWh.jpg

TIA

Last edited:
I built a new system a few weeks ago, upgrading from an Intel i7 8700K to a R9 7900X. The only carry-over part from the old computer was my RTX 3070.

I'm not overclocking and am using a Corsair H100i Elite Capellix. I'm seeing package idle temps between 50-60C. When gaming it hits up to 70-75C.

According to some googling this seems to be pretty normal. Is there any real reason to be concerned? From what I've read these suckers will go up to 90C.

Some pics, nothing too fancy.

View attachment 542969

View attachment 542970

TIA
Gaming temp is normal.
"idle" temp seems a touch high. But, its probably due to the fact that the older Corsair AIOs aren't known for having good 'flatness' to the pump block.

Overall, I wouldn't worry about it. Seems about right, for your cooler.

That old mobo reminds me of the Foxcon ones i used to get!
My 5900x would idle at 50-60C until i ramped up my fans a bit. Though, i am running a NH-D15 chromax.black but i had to remove one of the fans for clearance so i gimped myself a bit. Have you reseated the cooler and checked that the thermal paste is nice and even? What paste are you using?

I just swapped from a 7700X to a 7900X. I found that the 1 gram Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut isn't enough for the best performance. I cleaned off my ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280MM and found it to be pretty sparse. Temps were OK with the 7700X - but now with the 7900X they are nuts. I had the larger 5.55 gram Kryonaut so I could use what I felt was enough versus having to spread the 1 gram. I'm buying the larger Kyronaut packs from now on if I can.

7900x_occt.png

I just swapped from a 7700X to a 7900X. I found that the 1 gram Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut isn't enough for the best performance. I cleaned off my ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280MM and found it to be pretty sparse. Temps were OK with the 7700X - but now with the 7900X they are nuts. I had the larger 5.55 gram Kryonaut so I could use what I felt was enough versus having to spread the 1 gram. I'm buying the larger Kyronaut packs from now on if I can.

View attachment 544014
Is that cinibench R23 temps or what?

I just tried the Benchmark in that OCCT app and it immediately pegged my CPU package temp to 95C.

on the 7900x system in your sig? sounds about right for a 240 aio.
Yeah. The ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280MM that I use is regarding to be the best AIO, pretty much. Even nearly beating the 360MM version. They're not that spendy if you're looking to make the jump. I got mine as a refurb b-stock direct from ARCTIC on eBay and it was like $80.

I literally just bought this 240mm... I mean, it never goes above 70C when I'm gaming so I'm really that worried about it.

Also remember folks the default behavior of these is to run up to 95c and hold the clocks if possible. My 7700x will run right up there too on all core loads. All I’ve done to lessen this is go to enhanced PBO in bios (Asus x670e gene) and choose 85c for the max temperature target. I see 70s gaming with a U12S cooler same as before but now it only runs up to 85C under all core loads. The clockspeed loss is zero for games and lighter stuff and maybe 1-200MHz on a sustained all core load which I rarely do and even then 85C steady is fine indefinitely.

I have never used this, prime 95 back in the day. I will do the 5700X and see how it does.

30min-test.jpg

THe hell with that app - my temps exceeded 90c and my computer crashed lol!

I took PBO off and this is all I got. I ran it later for 30 mins but the same temps/clock.

OC-5.3ghz.jpg

New to amd as well here.

7900X - out of the box voltage, with just the expo memory profile applied and a slightly different fan curve so the temp spikes don't trigger the fans every time I do something.

011 Dynamic Evo with 360mm Kraken, all lian li sp120 v2 fans. Rad is an exhaust setup.
Current idle temps with Ryzen Master show around 56-58c, under load with everything on ultra (sons of the forest) 1440p with a Taichi 7900 xtx I'm getting temps around 78-80c. I am using the stock thermal paste on the cooler and I will be swapping to thermal grizzly once I install my remaining M.2 storage.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
New to amd as well here.

7900X - out of the box voltage, with just the expo memory profile applied and a slightly different fan curve so the temp spikes don't trigger the fans every time I do something.

011 Dynamic Evo with 360mm Kraken, all lian li sp120 v2 fans. Rad is an exhaust setup.
Current idle temps with Ryzen Master show around 56-58c, under load with everything on ultra (sons of the forest) 1440p with a Taichi 7900 xtx I'm getting temps around 78-80c. I am using the stock thermal paste on the cooler and I will be swapping to thermal grizzly once I install my remaining M.2 storage.
idle temps seem a bit high. make sure you dont have any goofy apps running in the background keeping the cpu from settling down. build looks good though!

After a few days of gameplay, temps kept climbing and climbing. emps at startup were around 51c, after a few minutes I was idling around 75-77c. I was experiencing lockups, driver issues with the graphics card, and general instability. Every time I'd go to restart I'd get stuck in a boot loop. I cleared the cmos, reflshed the bios, complete reinstall of everything and still no better. Took the board, cpu, ram and card back to microcenter and changed out for a 13900k and restarted once again.
idle temps seem a bit high. make sure you dont have any goofy apps running in the background keeping the cpu from settling down. build looks good though!

After a few days of gameplay, temps kept climbing and climbing. emps at startup were around 51c, after a few minutes I was idling around 75-77c. I was experiencing lockups, driver issues with the graphics card, and general instability. Every time I'd go to restart I'd get stuck in a boot loop. I cleared the cmos, reflshed the bios, complete reinstall of everything and still no better. Took the board, cpu, ram and card back to microcenter and changed out for a 13900k and restarted once again.
a bit of an extreme reaction but if you happy with the new setup, good.

Got like 4 months of uptime on my 7900x at work, still churning along, sucks you had a bad experience but you probably had some bad ram. As far as cooler I'm just using the thermalright 120 ultra ex on mine.

Normal temps imo. I’d consider at least enabling PBO and undervolt. Probably pick up a few % points I’m benches and may run a bit cooler as well

Oops saw you returned it. Probably bad ram.

Back